[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 emulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: please help.png (90KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
please help.png
90KB, 248x249px
whats the best possible N64 emulator?
>>
>>3760252
i don't think the emulator matters, but you need to use gliden64
https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/releases
>>
>>3760252
VC
>>
>>3760258
Whats VC?
>>
>>3760252
The problem is there isn't a best emulator. Some games work better on some emulators.

Use this if you want the best possible N64 emulation experience

http://bhemuhelp.co.nf/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm
>>
>>3760268
Thanks!
>>
>>3760261
Virtual console via Wii.
>>
>>3760274
but what I was asking was emulators for a pc.
but you don't have to worry now thanks for helping
>>
mupen64 > pj64
>>
>>3760274

Not even via Wii necessarily, you can emulate it via Dolphin and it still yields more accurate results than Project64 on its own. Unfortunately it's a small pool of games.
>>
>>3760369
>>3760371
Why do N64fags still think N64 emulation is shit? Look at the state of Saturn emulation if you want to see true shittiness.
>>
>>3760381
Needa have that sense of superiority
It's OK if u have the replica controller
>>
File: bazanga.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bazanga.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
"Poorly coded"

*audience laughs*
>>
File: n64emulation.jpg (61KB, 640x480px)
n64emulation.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>3760381
>>
Project64 is the best, especially used with Glide64 plugin. Also, PJ64 just had an update that fixed many bugs.
>>
>>3760354
I haven't tried that yet.

Do I need the VC WAD, or do I just feed Dolphin the ROM?

(Side note, I'm fucking impressed with how capable Dolphin is. It has damn near perfect emulation, and has relatively low hardware requirements. Hell, one time I got bored, so I put gecko loader into Dolphin, then gave it a GBC rom of a NES emulator, which was emulating Donkey Kong 3. That's like 5 layers of emulation, and it worked.)
>>
>>3760381
N64 emulation may be better than Saturn, but that doesn't change the fact that my PC can emulate the Wii in full HD, with enhancements, at 60 FPS, but struggles to handle most N64 games at full speed.
That and N64 emulation is inaccurate as fuck, even if the games look the same.
>>
How can N64 emulation be so bad when people are emulating current gen console stuff on their computers? Something to do with the coding/being cartridge based?
>>
>>3760471
Well the Reality Coprocessor wasn't documented very well from what I understand.
>>
>>3760394
"I never really was on your side, Chucky."
>>
>>3760471

Because there are only like 3-4 different kinds of chips you can possibly make a console with in the current year due to R&D costs being in the billions of dollars. Everyone has the documentation for these chips because everyone uses them.

When the N64 was made companies would roll their own 3d hardware because it was the wildwest days. Silicon Graphics designed a chip exclusively for the N64, no one else used it and no one has the documentation except for Nintendo and Silicon Graphics.
>>
>>3760675
Wouldn't the dev kits have that info?
>>
>>3760381
>>3760428
Saturn emulation has been excellent since the mid 2000s.
>>
>>3760684
They do mostly. SGI's chip is most similar to 3dfx cards (except with t&l tagged on) which is why Glide emulation worked out so well in the past.

Emulator authors have struggled to make real progress since then. A lot of it is just Glide code poorly wrapped for DirectX or OpenGL.
>>
>>3760252
Mupen64plus using the new low-level vulkan video renderer.

>https://www.libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/
>>
An N64 system with a flash cart.

Why dick around with shoddy emulators and plugins when running the games off of an SD card inside your N64 does the job far better?
>>
>>3760892
I think the difference is one is free while one is $70-$175 plus the cost of the actual system
>>
>>3760814
That renderer is buggy as shit at the moment. Once it can play Banjo-Tooie right I'll be happy, but holy fuck does that game break with the vulkan renderer right now.

The current best, at least until the vulkan renderer fixes it's shit, is GlideN64 but it's kinda crashy especially in (surprise surprise) Banjo-Tooie.

>>3760892
>Spending $100+ to pirate games
I wish I could throw around that money right now.
>>
>>3760428
>but struggles to handle most N64 games at full speed.
What fucking emulator are you using?
>>
>>3760394
Ore wa ochinchin ga daisuki nandayo!
>>
>>3760419

You need the .wad. Open up the folder, right click 'install' and select it from the menu as I recall.
>>
>>3760252
N64 emulation sucks. I've got no issue with emulating games, but honestly I wouldn't bother with the n64. A lot of games run terribly on emulators and it can be difficult to configure a comfortable controller setup for the games because of the weird controller. An actual n64 with an everdrive is the way to go. It's probably a $300 investment, but worth it if you are actually serious about wanting to play
>>
>>3760936
Shitty CIC chip emulation is why BT freezes. How is vulkan going to emulate that chip?
>>
>>3760983
PJ64 1.7.
The big name games run fine, but games like Aerofighters Assault or Pokemon Snap stutter like hell.
>>
>>3760892
This, emulating the N64 is a hassle for anything but the most popular games (and it's usually with some plugin modules at that).

A Nintendo 64 with a Memory Expansion isn't all that expensive, and a Flashcart will REALLY pay for itself if you want more than like four games.

The issue comes down to the original controllers being what they are, the stick might be very precise and accurate, but I shouldn't even have to go into detail about it's fragility.
Thankfully, a lot of the wear problems of the analog sticks can be ameliorated with some basic mechanical grease, and if you have one with a worn out or destroyed analog stick, there's supposed to be a 3rd party replacement module made entirely out of steel, effectively being indestructible and maintaining it's crisp precision for as long as you and your family lives.
>>
>>3761446
Not the anon you were typing at, but PJ64 is now up to 2.3.2.202; the most recent update came out just a few days ago.
>>
>>3761804
2.2 was worse than 1.7.
Has 2.3.2 fixed everything they've been fucking up?
>>
>>3761812
Supposedly; see upthread.
>>
>>3760685
The only decent emulator is closed-source, rarely updated, Windows-only bloatware that only works with DaemonTools or burnt CDs to play games and only has Jap documentation. Also it's finnicky based on your hardware. I wouldn't call that excellent. Yabause has promise but it runs most games like shit.
>>
>>3760934
>>3760936
The N64 market is completely fucked right now. A flash cart pays for itself just by downloading about 3-4 of the most popular games.

N64 emulation is overall trash and will be for a very long time. If you're going to pirate N64 games the absolute best way to do it is with a flash cart.
>>
>>3761825
>A flash cart pays for itself just by downloading about 3-4 of the most popular games.

This, $100-200 for one flashcart which can hold all the games you want, OR $100+ for each individual game.
>>
>>3761843
That's kind of an exaggeration there
Plenty of good games for the cheap
>>
>>3761858
Well yeah, but you get what I mean, an N64 library can get expensive pretty fast, with a flashcart you just stop at a moderate expense.
>>
>>3761862
I got 2 controllers that're good and another with a wore the fuck out stick
Is it worth to try and fix it up with a replacement or should I just drop 80$ like a boss for the hori
>>
>>3761874
There's a fourth that is 3rd party no name but it's sensitivity is like fuck me
>>
>Emulating anything.
>>
>>3761931
Yes.
>>
>>3760256
This. I downloaded project 64 because I figured N64 is old enough that it is probably perfectly emulated, but I got random glitches here and there. I went into the settings and saw you could change the graphics emulator from Jabo (default) to Glide, and Glide so far has been perfect. If you are using project 64 remember to change it to glide for graphics.
>>
>>3762027
The best plugin is angrylion, and the LLE RSP. That will run pretty much everything without glitches. But you need a super computer overclocked CPU to use it.
>>
>>3760252
project64 on emuparadise
>>
>>3763784
I have a 4 ghz Intel CPU. Only 2 (4 logical) cores though.
Will that work?
>>
>>3763796
too many glitches
I mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG4fvMhg6nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd68jt77Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6hy2dsBpI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcSZwa1S6n4
>>
What about indiana Jones and the infernal machine?
>>
>>3761858

Yeah...I think he meant CBFD + 3 mario games would be the same price as an everdrive.

CBFD is more expensive than the ed64plus I got from Japan. It was only 2300 yen
>>
>>3764073
>2007
>2009
>>
I'm a retard when it comes to this shit but why is the PS1 pretty much emulated 1:1 at this point, with framerate patches and texture perspective correction even implemented, yet N64 and Saturn are still years behind, with even basic games like Mario Golf or Panzer Dragoon fucking up/visual glitching half the time?

Is it complex hardware? Shit documentation? Smaller audience/interest?
>>
>>3766608
Complex hardware and shit documentation.

Nintendo kept most if the microcode documentation very close.
>>
>>3766608
Because PS1 barely has any hardware functions other than some primitive affine texture mapping, gouraud shading and blending. They are so basic that every GPU supports them.

N64 on the other hand has shitloads of hardware functions, its GPU has more features than anything on the market until probably PowerVR2 or definitely GeForce 256. But those hardware functions were developed before API standards like DirectX or OpenGL were ready, so they don't comply to those specifications. It basically means that everything has to be reproduced in software or hand-written shaders to get working on computers.

Saturn's in a pretty similar situation because for a different reason: its hardware is just so unusual and foreign compared to computers.
>>
Anybody emulated Zeldas with 30fps hacks? Is it worth it?
>>
>>3766608
>emulated 1:1 at this point, with framerate patches and texture perspective correction
That's not 1:1. Those are hacks..
>>
>>3760252
I have been playing Ogre Battle 64.

Does the game emulates witouth problems? Because i dont want to be cockblocked like i was with RE 64.

Im already like 17 missions into it.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.