[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, with the new RE7 out, and the game doing somewhat decently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: RE_Survivor_front.jpg (66KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
RE_Survivor_front.jpg
66KB, 450x450px
So, with the new RE7 out, and the game doing somewhat decently among the masses, I ask of /vr/ this...

Were games like "RE: Gun Survivor" and "Alien Resurrection" ahead of their time? Or just as flawed as when they came out? Can we look at them with a different viewpoint, having been through a decade of shooters when the FPS-on-console genre became more refined? How do they hold up, in comparison to platformers and RPG's from the era they were released?

I figure maybe we can get some sort've discussion going about how the developers vision may have been more successful given some refinement, or having not pioneered the field.
>>
File: dQy45Js.png (382KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dQy45Js.png
382KB, 640x480px
And the famous "Alien Resurrection" review, in hindsight.
>>
Wasn't survivor supposed to be a lightgun game that had that feature removed in the final release?
>>
Dead aim was fucking ahead of its time
That game was weird as fuck, light gun shooter with free third person exploration

Thank you guncon 2
>>
>>3759979
It was only removed in the land of the free.
>>
>>3759979
Yeah, but only in the american release.
Sadly, that's kind've where it counted in terms of trying to popularized console FPS, as Japan wasn't too into that shit at the time. Still really isn't.
>>
>>3759965
>ahead of their time?

No. First person survival horror have always existed.

Before Resident Evil, before even Alone In The Dark, there was Zombi. Everyone claims "Sweet Home" is the 'grand daddy' of survival horror but to be honest, it barely is even one. Zombi came out years before and was the first action-adventure game with a pre-dominent horror theme with actual survival gameplay mechanics.

It was the first real survival horror, and it was first person.

Then, after AITD, first person survival horror kept exciting, games like Echo Night, Hell Night, and even games which mixed survival horror and FPS like The Note or Enemy Zero.

Then, starting with the PS3 era, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed cameras were considered "dated" and attempts to make survival horror with a classic third person camera made people feel like it wasn't survival horror anymore (SH: Homecoming...).

So all that was left for the genre was the first person one. As the AITD style faded it slowly crept its way from being the obscure side of the genre, to popularity because it was the only kind of survival horror left (Amnesia: The Dark Descent,) to full on trend praised by press and audiance alike (Slender, Alien: Isolation, Resident Evil 7, etc)

As for Gun Survivor and Alien: Ressurection, they were never survival horror.
>>
>>3760026
But I was asking about console FPS, not Survival Horror.
>>
>>3759965
Anyone with a guncon should play this.
>>
>>3759979
I played the japanese version with a lightgun as a kid
>>
>>3760050
The jap release still has english voice acting, so its very playable.
>>
>>3760034
Maybe you thought you were, but none of the games you listed are shooters.
>>
>>3760054
What? Alien Resurrection is an Action Shooter with a horror backdrop.
>>
>>3760026
>Everyone claims "Sweet Home" is the 'grand daddy' of survival horror but to be honest, it barely is even one.
That was just Capcom's PR department trying to pass off Resident Evil as it was always their own unique idea. In later years, after Mikami have already left Capcom, he pretty much confessed that while there is some Sweet Home influence within the game, Resident Evil was always Capcom's response to Alone in the Dark.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-creator-shinji-mikami-reflects-on-th/1100-6435918/

>At first, we were developing RE as a fully 3D game. But the graphics level that we were going for didn't get along so well with the original PlayStation's specs. It was looking like, if we didn't make a change somewhere, the project could end up on indefinite hold.
>That was when we took a look at Alone in the Dark. The environments were pre-rendered, and the characters and such were in real-time 3D. It seemed like that approach would allow us to create the game that we wanted, but there were control issues, and the changed perspective had an effect on immersion, making the player feel a bit more detached. It took a little bit of time to get my feelings in order and make the call to change it.
>>
>>3760026
>As for Gun Survivor and Alien: Ressurection, they were never survival horror.
Survival Horror was just a meme invented by Capcom. The term didn't exist until Bio Hazard was released on PS1. Games are defined by their mechanics, not their themes.
>>
>>3759965
>Were games like "RE: Gun Survivor" and "Alien Resurrection" ahead of their time?

not really, enemy zero and hellnight were
>>
>>3759965
>Were games like "RE: Gun Survivor" and "Alien Resurrection" ahead of their time?
No. And I hope William Burkin shoves a school bus sized claw up your ass for reminding of that shit game that I bought at full price when it was released. Burn in hell OP.
>>
>>3759968

If only he knew just how bad the twin analog stick setup would become:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_ht1EdAU
>>
>>3760096
I know this. I know that I'm calling AITD and Zombi 'survival horror' even though that term only appeared years after they came out.
Call them whatever you want, but it's more convenient to use survival horror because if you don't bring theme on the table for this particular sub genre, you're back to "action-adventure" which without the horror theme is too wide.

Survival Horror may be an exception but it sure is convenient to use considering the number of games in that particular sub genre, and that's what genres are made for, making talks about particular groups of games more convenient.
>>
Survivor was honestly fun back in the day and it sort of preserved the RE1/2 atmosphere to a degree. It really is one of the more atmospheric shooters, especially given how sound quality is pretty top notch too.

Dead Aim is also underrated. It's short and has some exploration, and I honesly think it's more of a RE game than shitty Revelations titles for an instance.

They are not terrible games like most people tend to try to paint them as.
>>
All i remember from survivor was the hilarious voice acting.
Its worth playing, its an interesting experience.
But no where near as good as resi 1,2 or 3.

Anyone here ever play Dino Stalker? Set in the dino crisis universe, takes the same idea made in survivor of "lets make this a g-con game".
Worth playing, very entertaining.
>>
>>3761205
Dino Stalker is worth playing because it actually provides you with the real ending of Dino Crisis 2. Little known fact.
>>
>>3760092
That doesn't seem like a response to Alone in the Dark so much as "we were remaking Sweet Home, but our technology sucked, so we ripped off Alone in the Dark."
>>
>>3759965
First person has always been an issue with gaming, and I've never liked it as a matter of mostly being poorly crafted experiences. I've got a PSVR on the way though, so I'll see if head tracking adds much. In regards to RE Survivor, I thought it was fine, although the camera direction was pretty basic in regards to the game being a FPS, but then you'd have cutscenes which cut to 3rd person, which takes a lot of the punch out as instead of sharing an experience you're back to watching a movie.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.