[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions Regarding Panasonic 3DO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: 3do-logo.jpg (11KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
3do-logo.jpg
11KB, 600x600px
For a while I've been mulling over picking up a 3DO. While I emulate some games and get a better feel for it, I wonder if any enthusiasts can answer some hardware/software questions. I did see the thread that was a few days ago/last week, which was somewhat helpful/interesting.

MODEL: while general consensus seems to point towards the FZ-10 being the most reliable model, there are some who still tout the FZ-1 as the sturdiest. My intention is to pick up a FZ-10, because my assumption is that the flip-top and lack of moving parts makes for a machine less prone to breakdown. Is this a right assumption?

REGION: I have read about the minuscule amount of kanji problems that can come from a select few imports. Thus i have decided it might be best to pick up a Japanese model. However, if there are a few JPN games that don't work on NTSC-U models, is the inverse true, with a few USA games not working on the Japanese? Or is my suspicion groundless?

Those are the two major questions I am considering. Aside from that, feel free to talk anything 3DO.

I'll probably be keeping my eye on YAJ listings (many of which unfortunately are vague on condition and workability due to the language barrier).

[Disclaimer 1] I have time to think about it since I am going to wait for a deal or a decent price to pop up among the various auction sites; I'm not looking to spend triple digits on getting a console.
[Disclaimer 2] Yes I have more money than sense! I'm working on reversing that though (wait a minute).
[Disclaimer 3] I like silly FMV games.
>>
Advice for someone who actually has a Jap FZ-10

Don't.

There just aren't enough good games for the thing and the prices are too high. I got mine through a yahoo japan reseller and didn't pay to much, but still more than I thought that I should have.

The only good games that could be played on the thing have drastically better ports on other consoles. The console itself has shit video output. I even bought S-Video cables which only made it look like polishing a turd. It has weird issues with black levels and everything looks washed out. It should have been a 240p console. I'm pretty sure the original model 3do is the same.

Just stick to emulation. Unless you are a diehard collector
>>
FZ-10 seems to be the most reliable

There aren't a lot of games (since most were ported)

but you should try these:

exclusive:
Bladeforce
Oukoku no Grand Chef
The Seal of Pharoh
Immercenary
Scramble Cobra
Stellar 7
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse Returns
Autobahn Tokio
Armageddon
Guardian War
Dr Hauzer
Slayer
Cyberdillo

multi plat:
Doom
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Off world interceptor
Total Ecplise
Luciennes Quest
Policenauts
Po'ed

>>3759345
S-video looks pretty good one mine
>>
>>3759345
got mine for 100 including postage
you do know you can burn the games it has no copy protection or region locking
games arent that expensive picked up street fighter for 10
>>
>>3759418
I guess even if there aren't too many games, if it's cheap enough and OP likes fmv and primitive 3d games he might find something he likes. Who doesn't, uh, love Snow Job???
>>
File: spacehulk3do.jpg (61KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
spacehulk3do.jpg
61KB, 604x453px
>>3759345
>Just stick to emulation.
At the very least, 4DO is a pretty damn good emulator for the 3DO - I haven't used it in a while but I recall also CPU options to boost up some of those "cinematic" 12fps games to a more bearable 24ish.

Though the only expensive game I can recall is probably Lucienne's Quest, which I mean, is kinda only expensive because it's the only JRPG in English on the console. It's neat, but not $200.00+ neat.

I don't think you'd want to look into the 3DO library for a killer selection of Japanese games and anime role-playing adventures. It's more sort of a graveyard for 90s FMV rail shooters and "interactive movie" type of stuff, but with quite a few more decent examples than garbage like the CD-i.

I kinda like space hulk though it's slow and had a PC port iirc.
>>
>>3759292
It's got the original and best version of Gex so it has that going for it.
>>
>>3760247
Lucienne's Quest really is neat though. I mean, it's just a typical cookie cutter JRPG as far as story and mechanics go but it has that unique 3DO look to it. There's also Guardian War. I like Slayer as well.
>>
File: 1837712_0.jpg (51KB, 540x309px) Image search: [Google]
1837712_0.jpg
51KB, 540x309px
>Doom on the 3DO was supposed to have FMV

Dodging a bullet? Phew.

>>3760541
The Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games look interesting; the sequel looks to sport a pretty robust 3D engine while the first has a more "classic Doom" look to it.

>>3759508
this mitigates some of the sting of the "L@@K RARE OOP" fleabay crowd, though only a few 3DO games seem to be in "high demand."
>>
>>3759418
Road Rash NEEDS to be on this list. The 3DO version was the best.
>>
Japanese listings for this can be so confusing (thanks Google):
"Was connected to the TV, you can read the DVD, but we do not confirm the operation because there is no controller.
And treats junk."

>>3760751
>that pic
Kinda wish it had happened so at least there would always be that funny story to Doom's history. I guess the awful movie with The Rock fits the bill!
>>
>>3761271
No, the PC port was
>>
>>3759292
You can ignore "general consensus". The opinions of some kids on the internet don't mean much. I have several and the FZ-1s are the most reliable. They're also stackable which is important to me. Maybe not you.

I've seen babies here bitching that jap models are expensive. The most I ever paid was maybe $50 if I overpaid when the yen was strong. Most I bought were half that.
I haven't played anything that wouldn't run on a jap model. But I haven't tried everything. Not by a long shot.

1. You're gonna overpay no matter what so just bite the bullet.
Disclaimer: If you come to the flea market with me this weekend you won't
3. If you like silly FMV games you need this console.

>>3760282
True. Unless you like silly FMVs like OP this is one of maybe a half dozen games worth having the thing for.

>>3761338
Even after being run through google I understand exactly what that means. Where's the problem?
>>
>>3760751
>the sequel looks to sport a pretty robust 3D engine while the first has a more "classic Doom" look to it.
Deathkeep is available on PC though. Slayer is a 3DO exclusive. Deathkeep seems like a shitty Ultima Underworld clone while Slayer is like a kickass Doom clone.
>>
File: 32x 6x more powerful than 3DO.jpg (132KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
32x 6x more powerful than 3DO.jpg
132KB, 1366x768px
What did they mean by this?

Funny Sega even acknowledged 3DO as a competitor. I guess they were used to doing attack ads
>>
>>3761808
The 32X was created as a quick response to the Jaguar if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>3761808
Well, ah, the 32x Does what 3DOn't.
>>
>>3762002
W E L C O
M E T O T
H E N E X
T L E V E L
>>
File: DSCN0724.jpg (840KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0724.jpg
840KB, 2272x1704px
I bought one new at Fred Meyer
FZ-1 still working
Still CIB
still play it
felt great when games were being closed out for pennies on the dollar.
>>
>>3761539
I'm glad to get some feedback from someone so knowledgeable about the platform! I'll have to pass on your offer of a flea market date; we probably don't live in the same state. =)

As far as the models, doesn't the fact that the FZ-1 can't access its memory without a disc make for an inconvenience vs. the FZ-10? I think one of the reasons people often talk up the FZ-10 is also in regard to flip-tops being generally less maintenance than a motorized tray (sort of like the Model 1 Sega CD vs the Model 2). Have you ever had to replace a laser on the FZ-1?

I don't know yet if stackable is something appealing to me, but I do like to imagine a room in your house stacked to the ceiling with 3DOs. Nonetheless I might have to see if a decent/confirmed-working fz-1 pops up in the [online] wild - at the very least it is a more aesthetically-pleasing design than the FZ-10.
>>
>>3762180
Not the same state, country, or even continent. But the flea market will be particularly epic this weekend because of the lunar new year. Even more so as it's on a weekend.

In my limited sample of maybe two dozen machines I've never had to replace a FZ-1 laser but has to replace two FZ-10 lasers. Obviously this means nothing statistically. But if you hold the two you can just feel that one was built as a tank and the other a toy.

Stackable only matters if you have a lot of stuff and limited space. I've crammed over a dozen consoles into the TV cabinet in one of my setups. >50% of that is just empty space to allow a cart or disc to be put in. Seems stupid but I do understand. With everything powered on it raises the room temperature by 10C. The fans I installed in the cabinet for dust turned out to be more important to keeping the shit from self immolating.
>>
I say this in every thread, play Way of the Warrior! It's such a stupid fun 3d0 game, I loved playing it at my friend's house who was the only person I knew who had one.

Look at this crazy shit -

https://youtu.be/-_Ya4mSkDMI?t=5m4s
>>
God i miss playing Battlesport on the 3DO with my best friend, Tutti.
>>
>>3762717
>Tutti
I call mine Omar FWIW
>>
Some of WARP's games are pretty neat. The puzzle ones are kinda shallow but have their charm. Flopon World has several minigames in one.
>>
File: 3DO-endlessly-300x263.jpg (24KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
3DO-endlessly-300x263.jpg
24KB, 300x263px
>>3759292
>I like silly FMV games.
>>
I am eyeing a few models and I think I am close to my goal of not overpaying (too much) for a FZ-1 by staying in double digits. I don't care about long boxes so the loose discs for FMV games like Hell and Daedalaus Encounter are pretty dirt cheap.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.