[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the /vr/ consensus on OOT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: maxresdefault.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
In all honesty, I think that the only thing keeping it up these days is 90's kids unending nostalgia for it. While I was alive for it's release, I honestly didn't give two shits about the N64 back then, all we had around here was a PC. (Voodoo 5500 pentium 2, about 200 times more advanced than N64). The game is tossed around on websites and forums by millennial who's first console was probably a hand me down N64 in the early 2000's, so I'm wondering is all the love real?

Anyways, more recently when I got into retro gaming, I decided to give it a try, promised the gaming experience of a lifetime for it's 10/10 gameplay, story, music, BLAH BLAH. The game was boring. I just couldn't get into it, or it's gameplay style. Who likes running across an open field back and forth, back and forth to get a sword? I mean, is that what people consider fun? And the dungeons and some items which are not intuitive in the slightest? The great music? Yeah, if shitty compressed midi qualifies as good music then maybe

I fucking love ALTTP, infact it's my favorite game of all time, and I managed to beat it without a guide. I don't know, maybe it's that I just don't have 3D sensibilities. One way or the other, I honestly think that the absolute only thing keeping it on such a pedestal is nostalgia, as someone who played it for the first time much, much later
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>3758339
skim it over autist
>>
If you find that people's hype tends to leave you wanting when playing said hyped games, perhaps you should just stop giving a fuck about what other people think and decide if you like a game on your own.
>>
>>3758347
Isn't that literally what I did?
>>
>>3758332
it's overrated shit
>>
I hate it because Egoraptor told me to
>>
The praise for oot got way out of hand ,it's still a great game though
>>
>>3758349
Almost, but you made the mistake of starting a thread asking "what do people think of game X?"
>>
It was so mindblowing at the time that it's difficult to remove the nostalgia element. But if you do so you still have an excellent game.
>>
>>3758332
kids with friends all had the n64. pc gamers in the 90s were lonely weirdos. OOT is a great game and the best in the series. congrats having shit taste i guess?
>>
>more recently when I got into retro gaming

Late bandwagon jumpers like you is the reason why retro gaming is shit nowadays.
>>
>>3758332

It is a children's game, mate. Obviously isn't going to be as fun for a grown ass man.
>>
This again?
>>
>>3758454
A "children's game" is "learning the ABC with Mickey" on PC.

OOT is a game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
>>
>>3758457
It's a girl's game, then.
>>
File: 1482976142053.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482976142053.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
Fuck this bait thread. I'm posting images of ReDeads humping Link.
>>
File: jjj.jpg (14KB, 401x280px) Image search: [Google]
jjj.jpg
14KB, 401x280px
>>3758460
No, a girl's game would be "dressing barbie" or something on PC.
OOT is a game for all kind of people, all ages, anon.
>>
>>3758457

It can be enjoyed by people of all ages but it is going to be a lot more fun for a kid. As an adult OoT is pretty low on my list, when I was a kid it was one of my favorites.
>>
>>3758396
Indeed OoT was one of those console games that blew me away at the time with how revolutionary it was. Prior to that only smb and mario 64 really knocked my socks off like that
>>
>>3758436
Oh yeah ofc, let's make a fucking eletist circle jerkers community so kids that play nowadays only play FIFA and oldfags just keep fapping to the same games they played billions of times since years
>>
>>3758467
What games do you like as an adult?
>>
File: redead going to town.gif (535KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
redead going to town.gif
535KB, 500x288px
Animated.
>>
>>3758470
Triggered, lol.
How's that Retron5 going?
>>
File: redead_by_reimyourou.jpg (151KB, 1200x1024px) Image search: [Google]
redead_by_reimyourou.jpg
151KB, 1200x1024px
>>
File: when_redeads_attack_sketch.jpg (220KB, 750x629px) Image search: [Google]
when_redeads_attack_sketch.jpg
220KB, 750x629px
>>
>>3758471

Are we talking retro games or just in general?
>>
File: zelda-love-me.gif (107KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
zelda-love-me.gif
107KB, 200x200px
>>
File: redead-love.jpg (160KB, 600x1447px) Image search: [Google]
redead-love.jpg
160KB, 600x1447px
>>
>>
>>3758332
I don't think I've played it since 2007.

Honestly, it's just not that fun more than once, like most Zeldas.

The first time is a fun romp and it can feel like an adventure, but there is often a lot of needless to-do before each dungeon and it draws the game out.

The onyl one I can forgive is the pre-Deku tree because its largely a tutorial.

but then you can't do Dodongo's Cavern utnil you do some stupid side quest which requires you to find Saria, and that's all the way fucking back where you came from.

Same thing with Jabu Jabu's belly.

Then theres Dampe's race, and getting the red tunic, and the ice cavern, and the lens of truth, and gerudo's fortress.

Every dungeon has this really obnoxious pre-Dungeon shit to do that really just lengthens the experience for no real tangible reason.

If you compare it directly to Alttp: Alttp has a lot better pacing. Sure theres run around, but its not so fucking hamfisted with boring dialogue and cutscenes. That's one of the worst offenses of the 3D zelda is just the sheer amount of cutscenes. It really kills it for me.

OoT is really long winded, and since TP is OoT 2.0 it's the same but even worse in all those aspects. TP's cutscenes are so long, and all the segments as a wolf are so disgustingly drawn out.

I think it was good when it came out because it was
>early 3D
>Not a lot of options
>people were still learning what worked
>people were fucking around with new tech and ideas

3D space is way more complex than 2D space so I can give it a pass, but it's just a really boring game honestly.
>>
OOT is so fun and the graphics hold up pretty nice.
My wife's son loves it.
Why so many threads about it?
Did an e celeb make a vid recently?
>>
>>3758540
Egoraptor did a video many years ago and its influence can still be seen today.
>>
>>3758436
>late
I have a pretty big collection senpai, retro gaming is ruined by nostalgia fags who'll pay anything for the N64 and SNES that they lived in childhood. Which is why the prices are as inflated as they are you autist
>>
>>3759704
>I have a pretty big collection

I doubt it, you seem upset, probably starting collecting around 2010. Too late.
>>
File: 1483574906668.jpg (26KB, 376x410px) Image search: [Google]
1483574906668.jpg
26KB, 376x410px
>>3758347
>If you find that people's hype tends to leave you wanting when playing said hyped games, perhaps you should just stop giving a fuck about what other people think and decide if you like a game on your own.
This a thousand times. These threads are just bait threads cause fucks like OP can't enjoy themselves.
>>
In comparison with other new 3d games, it was the tops.
Try to think of literally any game besides maybe Mario 64 that isn't
an example of an awkward translation of old gameplay to 3D that
in modern times has aged unfortunately.

OoT is an incredible game for it's time, and it's mechanics have carried over into
every single 3d Zelda after it.

Of course it's overhyped.
It's like the Beatles, if any game ever deserved this much praise, it's this one, but at
the same time, literally no game deserves that level of praise.
>>
>>3758332
Voodoo 5500 didn't exist when Ocarina of time was released.
>>
>>3759704
Shouldn't you be happy about prices then? Now u can clean up house
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 400x400px
>>3758332
>The game is tossed around on websites and forums by millennial who's first console was probably a hand me down N64 in the early 2000's, so I'm wondering is all the love real?
>Anyways, more recently when I got into retro gaming
you don't see a problem with your train of thought here? wew lad.
>>
>>3758332
See, this is how you can tell that /vr/ has one of the older userbases on this site; we still get trolls who make original (in composition if not subject) inflamitory statements which allow of actual discussion. It's like I'm back in 2001 shitposting on blizzard's general forum.

God speed, OP. OoT is still fun to replay every few years.
>>
>>3758332
>as someone who played it for the first time much, much later
Here's your problem faggot.
>heh, fire wasn't such a great discovery, I mean, look here *lights up a lighter* HERE! I told you, it's not that big of a deal!
You sound like this.
>>
>>3758359
this is the only accepted way to reason.
On /v/.
>>>/v/
go back to your containment board
>>
>>3758467
> As an adult
> OoT is pretty low on my list

Gee must be fun hanging around with a tryhard like you.
If it isn't that then I'm sorry, the light inside has broken for you. Enjoy the rest of your life as a soulless shell.
>>
I wish the text was faster

And I wish there were enemies in the field besides Stalchilds and peahats, which both fuck off for the majority of the game.

That's one thing Twilight Princess did better, the fields became more populated with stronger monsters as the game progressed, why OOT took them all away is beyond me since Ganondorf supposedly turned Hyrule into "A twisted nightmare world of shadows" or whatever.
>>
The comfiest, most fondest memories of my childhood was playing OoT on a rainy night. Couldn't put it down, couldn't sleep.
Now I can run through the game so quickly because I remember where everything is.
>>
The game was a masterpiece when first released, and it will always be one for its time. But I've got absolutely no desire to replay it at all, I tried last year and it's just such a slow game.

I recognise that Hyrule Field itself was pretty groundbreaking for its size, but I don't want to have to awkwardly roll or backwards walk to do anything at a pace anymore. Maybe I've lost my patience as I've gotten older but the first half as child link is a drag.
>>
>>3758332

Someone should remake it as a good quality Tile based game (thinking GBA level such as Minish Cap)

> get rid of larping to make special tunes on the ocarina - but still play the proper song tune when going to a certain place

> and get rid of the fucking horse

Pegasus Boots should be used for speed instead of the horse, upgradeable for speed and at the highest level allowing you to do things while running (ie, shooting ghosts).

Also it needs a Swordbeam not just a power up slash (and the power up slash can be gotten rid of).
> You should have range capability without using a treasure item and as a reward for keeping full health.

Master Sword should be upgradeable like its been in other games (ALTTP) rather than bothering with the Goron Sword. And damage bonuses should apply to the Swordbeam just like they did in the original.

> Make the Big Goron give you a Mirror Shield instead

Light Arrows shouldnt require magic meter use. That should be a benefit of having "the ultimate arrow" compared to the other types. And it should do silver arrow level damage to all things not just make it possible to kill Ganon.

Depth for water can be handled as multiple layers moved through, with a slight delay as he rights himself at that depth so that you have to correctly aim to get to underwater items (and as a nerf to prevent getting too far underwater without the proper powers).

> Really deep water such as lake hylia, to reach the water dungeon, could be as many as 4 layers deep.
> This in essence hiding the fact there is a dungeon down there since you cant see the door unless you can dive down far enough. Though we'd all know and the above-water scenery is suggestive of it.
>>
https://youtu.be/duPynkGEFGI
>>
>>3758431

I would agree with this but I dont know why.

PC was master race and all the smart kids used them. Being a smart geek in the 90s was epic tier. It wasn't that you were a wierdo but everybody else was trash and wasn't fit to be in your presence.

> at the age of 12-14 was playing Doom, Doom 2, Xcom Ufo Defense and Warcraft 2 along with map editing and modding

> was getting into pixel art and early photoshop use

> other people were still using consoles playing games that never changed, that they couldnt hack or mod, and couldnt use for any constructive purpose either.
>>
>>3762237
Made it til he said, "funner", and immediately closed the video.
>>
>>3762234
I really dont see the reason for using "another" sword besides the master sword. The goron sword and goron knife were bigger but the master sword is Holy and that special damage type ("that makes evil retreat") is what storywise has always made it epic at killing monsters.

The machinations of the king of evil, the risen dead and the bad memories of the land - they all have the weakness that they are improper and do not belong, and the Master Sword destroys these abominations.

So once Link gets the master sword he shouldn't be using any other swords period. Upgradeable with more "Light" in the blade is acceptable.

Also what about the Triforce Of Courage? He gets that halfway through the game and it does almost nothing for him except supposedly protect him from being turned into a crumudgeon.

I think for an ultimate hardmode press against the player you cant get Heart Containers until the Triforce splits and you get your piece. Because then it represents making you superhuman tough too.

> you have to survive all of the trials leading up to the temple of time with only 3 Hearts
>>
>>3762240
Pc gamers in the 90s were the same cancerous assholes hey are now. Endlessly playing generic fps games, unimaginitive rpgs with shit gameplay and rts. A genre where you clicked and then sat and watched. Quickly, but still.

popular console games, other than the core nintendo titles, have at least changed over time. For example, survival horror and vehicle combat began and ended with the psx gen, platformers by in large are a 2d thing, curayzee games are almost exclusive to the ps2 and etc. On the other hand, aside from graphics improving, pc gamers are still playing the same types of games they were in 1998. Oh, except for that 5 minute arena shooter fad in like 2000.

Not to mention that most of you pc assholes just rant and rave about specs, and spend more time modding than playing. And pc is the most guilty of having fad games and game of the month type shit too.

Nothing but cancer.

At least console gamers know how to have fun, and put gameplay above all else. Pc gamers care too much about feeling superrior and looking cool to have fun...
>>
>>3758332
I always thought FFVII was the better "GOAT" game between these two. In fact I even think SM64 is better than OOT.

As a kid my top three favorite games on N64 was Pokemon Stadium 1&2 and SM64. In fact OOT wasn't even in my top 5. I'd have No Mercy, other wrestling games, and Goldeneye above it to.

Now these days I'd have it much higher. I would still put SM64 above it though. If anything I can accept it being the number 2 best N64 game behind SM64. Don't get me wrong here I did like it as a kid. It just wasn't even in my top 5 though during its time.

However overrated or not the games impact on the industry cannot be understated. It really doesn't matter if it is overrated or not when so many people have fond memories of it and many even consider it their favorite game ever. The truth is the game is very solid. Top tier for its time and still very good today even if it is a bit easy. A good game then should always be considered a good game today.

On a side note here, I was at the gym yesterday and I actually heard a song being played that was sampling a couple of songs from the game. It started out with the Epona song. So just an example their of the impact this game has had.
>>
>>3762276
>On the other hand, aside from graphics improving, pc gamers are still playing the same types of games they were in 1998.

Looking at the top sellers on STEAM right now I see 1 FPS, 1 Puzzle game, 1 JRPG, 1 Roguelike/shmup, 1 medieval action game, 1 sports/racing game, 1 2d platformer, 1 grand strategy game and 1 2d adventure game. That's a considerable amount of variety.

Also, if you think there's an appreciable difference between the types of games you can play on PC versus Consoles in 2017 you're not paying attention. Console exclusives are quickly becoming a thing of the past, and you can play almost any new release on PC. Console games arguably haven't evolved since the 6th gen, and they are basically following in PC's footprints right now in terms of technical capability, 3rd party support and online community.

Your argument might have made more sense 10 years ago, but as someone who's enjoyed both console and PC gaming since the early 90's, I can say you're definitely missing out on tons of quality games if you write off PC.
>>
>>3762276
>>3762240
consoles+gaming pc true master race
>>
>>3758332
>about 200 times more advanced than N64
The N64 was literally the most powerful machine on the market when it launched in 1996.
>>
Ocarina of Time is the Eve of almost every 3rd person game is made today. It teached devs that you can turn a simple character into a expert adventurer and swordsman just by using combinations of buttons It teached a realistic combat system where you can pay attention to your enemy without fight the fucking camera similar to the one you can find in Tomb Raider, but being totally functional nowadays all the fucking people is eating Dark Souls ass just for being a modern implementation of the same system. It teached devs how to play with 3D verticality, you have to look up as you have to look down to resolve the scenario. OOT made all those Legend of Zelda common items to have sense in a tridimensional enviroment, what can be also used to teach how to design new weapons and items to be used in other games.

If you can't do any mental effort to put yourself in context, you will never understand why Ocarina of Time is the best in gaming history. It's more than a game. Ocarina of Time is like a tutorial of how to make and how to play 3D games for devs and gamers who just came out of the 2D world, dungeons are not just dungeons, are a complete enviroment that you have to change your way of thinking to resolve them. If you came from earlier attempts of 3D action gaming, you can feel yourself a beta tester of a new era.

Before Ocarina of Time we had other attempts of creating fully functional 3D action enviroments, just look at them Tomb Raider, or Megaman Legends. and then look to Ocarina of Time to just have an idea how much we owe to Nintendo.
>>
It's a Zelda game, so it's easy, boring, and casual.
>>
>>3762321
>teached

stopped reading there
>>
>>3762468

: /

Why are you so upset about people who dont speak perfect english?
Its not my mother language, sorry.
>>
>>3762321
gayest post on /vr/ by far
>>
>>3758332
>I fucking love ALTTP, infact it's my favorite game of all time, and I managed to beat it without a guide.

Stopped reading there. ALttP is vastly overrated. The puzzles were boring and navigating the dungeons was too easy. But more importantly, the way Link moved and the enemies responded to being hit was weird and like, viscerally unpleasant.

LA was a trillion times better.
>>
>>3762920

>Its
>It's

Fucking wew lad. It's not my first language either but goddamn
>>
I am a 39 year old who started gaming on the Atari 2600.
I, personally, think that this is the best Zelda game ever made. It is the only one that I still play regularly.
>>
It's a great game. The story is engaging without being too much, there's lots of exploration, the graphics hold up, and the gameplay is literally identical to every 3D Zelda, which is to say that it still holds up today.
It's not the best game ever made, but it certainly could have been in 1998, if Deus Ex didn't come out the same year. It was however, revolutionary. Yes, games like Goemon and Mega Man Legends came before and did things that OOT does, but OoT was the first game to take this sort of gameplay and combine it with a great targeting system, and still hold onto the old Zelda conventions of earlier games. If you think about it, there were no games that copied this formula that could actually do anything to improve it, only Wind Waker with its free camera mode.
>>
>>3766096
I played it 2 times and that was more than enough for me.

However ive played Minish Cap through at least 5 times and ALTTP alot. I still like these two but wish there was even more content to go through.
>>
>>3758332
>shitty compressed midi
midi compression would be lossless. Midi itself is a form of lossless compression. This statement is absurd.
>>
I wouldn't replay it now. I've actually been replaying SM64 and it's amazing that Nintendo got it so right on the first try.

I prefer the 2D Zelda games but OoT was excellent the first time through. It's just that so many 3D action/adventure/rpg/open world games are way better now.

OoT is still a great game that I would recommend people check out.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.