[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys deal with battery leakage in old consoles? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

How do you guys deal with battery leakage in old consoles?

I just found my old Game Boy, but being that I was a kid the last time I used it and didn't know batteries could leak, I never took them out - and now the batteries are corroded. It doesn't seem like any of the internal components are damaged, but the springs in the battery compartment are pretty bad looking. It won't turn on unless I use the AC adapter.

What does /vr/ recommend? Do I have to replace the whole battery compartment or can I try to restore it?

Pic is not mine, I'd take a picture of my Game Boy but I can't at the moment.
>>
Worst case scenario would be that the battery contacts get corroded. Not hard to replace those...
>>
The crystallized acid itself can be dissolved with fluid like alcohol.
The corrosion will need to be removed since it's nonconductive. Scratch it of with an emery board, dentist pick or whatever you have. Assuming the acid stayed in the battery compartment the worst issue is generally if it's completely destroyed one of the negative springs, just replace them. If the acid had gotten to the PCB and destroyed traces you'll need to rebuild them with conductive pen. Damaged chips may need to be replaced.
>>
>>3758302
If the leak is from alkaline batteries, you can completely remove it with a little vinegar. Dab some vinegar onto a cotton ball or a paper towel or something, and lightly scrub the "battery acid" (which is actually a base, not an acid). The vinegar will react with the white stuff like it does with baking soda, fizzing and then turning into a relatively harmless solution that you can wash away with plain water.
>>
File: DieHardELLIS.jpg (36KB, 680x286px) Image search: [Google]
DieHardELLIS.jpg
36KB, 680x286px
>>3758317
This. It works wonders and is CHEAP.

My house smells like a chip shop when I clean because I use distilled vinegar on pretty much everything.
>>
>>3758343
One of
>Vinegar
>Water
>Baking soda
will clean pretty much anything. Chemistry works!

Harsher solvents have their place, but you often don't need to skip straight to bleach/409/whatever.
>>
>>3758302
About the only thing you can do is dip the contacts in lava.
>>
>>3758370
DON'T DO THIS

It's a troll, I learned this the hard way
>>
File: burn.jpg (961KB, 1479x1979px) Image search: [Google]
burn.jpg
961KB, 1479x1979px
>>3758462
>>
>>3758302
Worst case: Your contacts are junk. But they are dirt-cheap and easy to replace.
https://handheldlegend.com/collections/dmg/products/game-boy-dmg-battery-contacts

Best case: They just need a good cleaning.
Get a toothbrush, some rubbing alcohol (first time I used window/glass cleaner, worked too, lel) and get to work. Spray them with some contact spray too for good measure.
Watch for springs where the coils are kinda stuck together, and separate them again, sometimes, a "broken" contact is just stuck together.

Source: My GameBoy had the same problem. Works like new again now
>>
>>3758310
Yes this.
Isopropyl Alcohol, cotton balls, q-tips and a small screwdriver works great. It also gets old cartridge terminals working good too.
>>
Always remove batteries when storing away.
>>
>>3758302

I think that picture is mine but I don't recall ever taking it. I had a wiimote that I found in a drawer that I forgot to take the batteries out of, and it corroded like that, so I left it on my bathroom counter (which looks exactly like that picture)

Now I'm worried and confused.
>>
>>3758760
>bathroom counter (which looks exactly like that picture)
I wouldn't worry mate. That countertop is standard builder's grade stuff that you'd find in any apartment etc. I had the exact same finish in an apartment I lived in last year.
>>
>>3758765

Yeah I googled it and it couldn't possibly be mine, the photo says it was in 2009 and I wasn't living in this house then. Still crazy.
>>
>>3758302
Apparently future me creates a time machine and vaccine that prevents this sort of stupidity and give it to me as an infant. I've never done this, even once.

However I've dealt with other people's shit. As long as the battery shit hasn't leaked all over the PCB and fucked it up it's and easy fix. GB contacts are cheap and common. Just get some new ones. You can can just wash the battery shit off the case with soap and water. Any that gets on something you might not want to wash can be cleaned with a weak acid solution. Boric works best but you can use vinegar if you're a tard who likes your shit to smell.
>>
>>3758370

This is stupid.

You need hydrochloric acid.
>>
>>3758493
There's no god damn fucking way they didn't replace the screen afterwards.
>>
>>3759928
they did, it's in every single article about it.

only dumb shitposters spread the image with false information
>>
>>3760001
I thought they just took the screen protector off
>>
>be kid
>get one of those retarded handheld electric fans that you saw all the time in the 90s
>no batteries
>pull some out of an old Tiger handheld
>using the fan
>face starts stinging
>battery acid apparently leaking out of the batteries, being drawn up into the propeller, and sprayed all over my face

Luckily that was some weak shit and didn't get in my eyes.
>>
>>3760001
>false information

I think the point is that the internal components still worked
>>
>>3760076
>i think words mean what i say they mean
Oh fuck. Another one of those.
>>
>>3758535
>specific contacts part
fucck that, I just used the ones I salvaged from an old broken toy claw game
>>
>>3758302
Dremel with wire brush to remove corrosion off contacts(after removing contacts from unit or at least dismantling the unit so u don't accidentally dremel the housing) and then brasso on the contacts and then wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
Voila. Brand new contacts.
>>
>>3760754
Well they are dirt cheap, but I do like your solution.
>>
>>3760076
Wow. That's much less impressive, I've seen full fledged computers survive being in a house burnt down, all we had to do was replace the burnt wires so it didn't short. I still have a old IDE HDD that smells like bacon every time it boots up from bring in the fire.
>>
>>3758302
clean the contacts with white vinegar or isopropyl alcohol until it starts working again
>>
>>3760073
Nah mate. Theres no acid in ALKALINE batteries.
>>
>>3758493

Is that the extra crispy special edition? Nice.
>>
>>3758302
Cover in baking soda
>>
Ditch the batteries and Google Robopanda. He does custom GB backplates with rechargeable batteries, either via USB or wireless induction charging.
>>
>>3765336
Dude, alkaline burns can be much much worse than acid. Be careful with that shit. If you dont believe me, touch some battery juice then touch the top of your ear. It won't damage (too much) or kill you, but you're gonna know its there real quick.
>>
>>3765476
Or just use good NiMH batteries.
>>
File: IMG_0240.jpg (773KB, 1741x1367px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0240.jpg
773KB, 1741x1367px
>>3758302
It is obvious the current generation of Duracells are total fucking shit. I've had leakage in all sorts of things over past cpl years. Alkaline was good before. I'm done with those fuckers. I'm using Jap eneloops now. Fuck them Gillette assholes.

>inb4 anger management reqd.
>>
I had same problem as OP in my Gameboy. I used some Spark plug corrosion cleaner I had in my garage. Cleaned right up. The GameBoy is good as new.
>>
>>3758302
Am I the only one here that likes to lick off the corroded battery as a kid? Its sour but quite tasty. It always looked like sugar as a kid.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.