[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to hook my PS1 to an old LCD PC 4:3 monitor. Tried it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

Trying to hook my PS1 to an old LCD PC 4:3 monitor.

Tried it with the RCA to VGA converter that I use for my PS2, but seeing as the PS1 outputs 240p video instead of the 480p, all I see are frozen images of the game and I can hear the audio fine, even though I can see the PS1 opening splash creen with the Memory Card boot menu in real time, although it keeps on flickering.

What I'm thinking of doing next is getting a SCART to HDMI converter/upscaler so I can get the signal to 720p and then use a HDMI to VGA converter to get it to the monitor.

>inb4 just get a cheap old TV

I get that this isn't the most ideal of solutions, without spending 2000$ on low latency upscalers and I'd probably be better off with some old TV, but I REALLY need this to work with a monitor (anything else requires some serious rearrangement in my house), so any advice would be helpful.
>>
Get an SD LCD
>>
>>3758298
>SD LCD
Standard Definition LCD? How will that help?
>>
Does the monitor support 15khz?
>>
>>3758314
I have no idea, how do I find that out?
>>
>>3758287
Get a cheap old CRT
>>
>>3758304
... Because it will display the PS1 without requiring you to rearrange?
>>
>>3758314
Of course it doesn't
>>
>>3758336
Right, right, but I was thinking if I could do it with a particular LCD monitor. So buying another one kinda defeats the purpose.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (52KB, 750x657px)
s-l1600[1].jpg
52KB, 750x657px
>>3758352
I get it, really I do but somebody has to break it to you that you will spend more on the equipment to make your VGA monitor work and most likely have poorer image quality than if you just buy a 4:3 640x480 native resolution SD LCD outright.
>>
>>3758287
Not going to work without a pain in the ass and buying things. And if you're going to buy things, you might as well buy something better.
>>
>>3758287
Why not just use the composite instead of fucking around with a VGA converter?

Am I the only one who notices this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Any kind of old LCD is going to have composite inputs because they were standard back then. Hell, even my TV from 2014 still has composite in.
>>
>>3758550
If he's going to pick up anything flat wouldn't it make more sense to pick up a PLASMA?
>>
>>3758560
Not if he's going to be using it for exclusively SD applications. While the size OP is working with won't have as significant a weight/mounting difference between LCD and plasma, and plasma will stomp it at color depth a display purpose built for SDTV will probably have better SD performance. I'm not prepared to bet my life on it though and I don't really care enough to do OP's comparison shopping for him.

>>3758553
It's a VGA monitor, it's VGA only (maybe DV-I)
>>
>>3758570
Plasma, especially older plasma's suffer damn hard from burn in.

That's really bad in video games since theres usually constant overlays for health and such that are going to burn in.
>>
>>3758573
Meh. I have a really old plasma and it's true that it gets some hot persistence very easily but it fades away. Most stories about "plasma burn in" are parroted accounts of this phenomenon.
>>
>>3758558
OP here,
It's a PC monitor not a TV one, it doesn't have composite inputs.

>>3758550
You are most probably right and I'm like willing to try one last thing with this SCART to HDMI upscaler, and then if that fails probably revert to CRT or just an old TV.
>>
>>3758593
You should probably buy a small old CRT
>>
>>3758593
Okay I mean I understand what it's like to get an idea in your head and be irrationally stubborn about trying to get it to work. Any upscaler that costs less than an SDTV will be crappy though.

>>3758612
Absolutely this. For sizes up to and maybe even past 20" CRTs stomp every other display but OP is giving the old "I don't have a single cubic foot to spare" complaint and I felt like giving him the benefit of the doubt today.
>>
>>3758573
>Plasma, especially older plasma's suffer damn hard from burn in.

They have image retention, not burn in. That is, if you play a game that puts the same UI constantly, and you play it 12 hours every day of the week, that means the silhouette of that UI will stay in the screen... for another week or so, until it fades away, provided you play something else.

I'm saying that from personal experience.
>>
>>3758639
>irrationally stubborn about trying to get it to work

Nailed it.
But also because some anon in /g/ said that the picture quality with the upscaler would be equivalent to PS2 on the same PC monitor, which I have absolutely no problems with.

If it matches the picture quality of the PS2 via the RCA to VGA converter, then I'm good.

>"I dont have a single cubic foot to spare"
General space isn't the issue, the ledge on which the monitor is supposed to sit is.
>>
>>3758652
>PS2 via the RCA to VGA converter
Have you tried playing your PS1 games on the PS2? If you switch on the PS2's image processing it should change it to 480i
>>
>>3758676
I haven't but I recently found out that the simple swap trick works on slim PS2s.

Still going through that every single time seems like it could be a pain, especially seeing as the space for maneuvering between the shelves of the consoles is really tiny
>>
>>3758684
PS2 softmod is pretty easy. It still requires swapping to play PS1 but it's easier because the disc spins down and waits for you to press O. I just checked if my PS-X-Change would let me boot backups in my pop-top fat PS2. It didn't.
>>
>>3758696
>softmod

Hmm, come to think of it, a friend has a hardmodded PS2 and a memory card with FreeMcBoot I think. Is it viable?
>>
Not OP, but would any CRT PC monitor do instead of the LCD?
I know that it handles 240p well, but wouldn't there also be interlacing issues there?
>>
>>3758715
>would any CRT PC monitor do
Nope
>>
>>3758715
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwhwBlkGSQ
>>
>>3758715
>any
Yes. Depending on how you English

>>3759301
Sorry. Couldn't help my self. The tism.
>>
>>3758702
Yup
>>
>>3758287
OP stop being retarded and just buy a fucking regular SD CRT TV
>>
File: IMG_6366.jpg (267KB, 1600x1200px)
IMG_6366.jpg
267KB, 1600x1200px
>>3758287
Op all u need is a gnobes gbs 8200.
All you have to do is wire up a rgb scart cable to it with a sync stripper and it will output to vga.
Best part is you can find the board for less than 20$. And if you ever want to hook it up to hdmi all you need is a vga to hdmi converter which costs 13$.
And you can even throw in a scan line generator and have scan lines on your LCD.
Plus the board can also accept vga and component inputs as well. Pretty solid cheap solution.
>>
>>3758702

Sure, if not a bit overkill. I think with a modchip it would be able to play ps1 backup without a swap. I could be wrong though

If you have another ps2, you can use the freemcboot on that and have 2 modded systems. But again, overkill
>>
>>3760692
>>3758550
Don't china VGA convertors cost like 50 bucks? Of course you can find an SD monitor or CRT if you dumpster dive hard enough.

>>3760727
That's a pointless number of conversions, /diy/.
>>
>>3758298
Isn't that sorta the worst of both worlds?
>>
>>3763017
Nah

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gbs+8200.&_sop=15
>>
>>3763017
The vga to hdmi is just a pass thru. It isnt scaling any signal so no additional input lag. Hardly any new tv's have vga inputs anymore so having the Hdmi is nice.
Gnobes also makes a rgb to hdmi board but my scanline generator only works with vga.

The reason I reccomended the gbs 8200 is because it was literally made to convert video signals to vga. Which is exactly what op was looking for.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.