[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts about this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_8461.gif (20KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8461.gif
20KB, 256x224px
Thoughts about this game?
>>
Amazing
>>
good style, godly music but little on the easy side
>>
I'm so confused. I don't get what I'm doing wrong, mind you I haven't bothered to read the manual. You get through a level, and the character at the end of the level is sad and droopy. But I saw let's play videos and whenever the player gets to the end, the character gives the player something and acts completely different.

But I can't figure out what I am doing different. Am I missing something?
>>
>>3757972
Each stage has a different mechanic. You need to do something in order to get the stage collectible.
This can range from watering crops to sweeping the floor or not stepping on mushrooms. The look on the NPC at the end should give you a clue of what you need to do.
>>
>>3757975
Interesting, so the one where the flower is droopy, what am I supposed to do for him?
>>
Cute game but momentum not carrying over when you use a power feels weird. A bit too slow at times especially at the scrolling stages.

Not a bad game though. Great art style.
>>
>>3758012
Don't crush his children to death.
>>
>>3758021
Yeah, I really adore DL3 but Adventure has much better physics.
>>
>>3757923
Worst retro Kirby game.

SS > Adventure > DL1 > DL2 > 64 > DL3
>>
File: 1481769113634.jpg (517KB, 800x627px) Image search: [Google]
1481769113634.jpg
517KB, 800x627px
>>3758161
Great tier
Adventure > SS

Good tier
DL2 > DL

Also good tier
64 > DL3
>>
>>3758161
fuck off sakurai
>>
DL2 is a Top 3 Kirby game and even DL1 has some great stuff going for it, like the kracko jr. refight. But DL3 is legit an awful game.

And it's not because of some weird feature like most awful games, it's just that the level design never incorporates any actual obstacles. You just walk forward, effortlessly dispatching anything in your way. I can't remember one boss from this game except the last one because of the blood meme, this coming off of Dreamland 2 which had Bright&Shine and Dark Matter.
>>
>>3758251
Wasn't Bright & Shine ripped from Adventure though?
>>
>>3758253
Yes, but they're much much harder. In fact, DL2 is probably the hardest Kirby, ignoring the spinoffs and arenas.

It has that one miniboss too which wrecks new players, can't remember which one sadly.
>>
Currently playing through the game. Got to 2-6 and trying to get all the heart thingies. I like the idea of mixing 2 power-ups together to get a new better power-up (similar to Kirby 64, except without the animal buddies) but i feel like there's a serious lack of power-ups. I mostly see either Needle, Parasol, Cutter, Fire, or Plasma over and over again. Surely there are some others like Rock but i don't know if i am going to see some new abilities like Ice.

While i like the music and the general artstyle a lot, i am not a huge fan of the enemy and level placement. Also, Gooey is a mistake. Either kills the enemies i want to get their ability from or keeps getting hit.

But i still feel like it's a pretty solid game and might continue it some time.
>>
What did you feel was the hardest mission? I had to look up how to do the stupid frog spring in 1-2 as well as the soot-covered flowers. They looked like fire flowers so I thought I had to "revitalize" them by using fire powers and experimented with several different fire types
>>
File: Kirby whoa.png (51KB, 229x345px) Image search: [Google]
Kirby whoa.png
51KB, 229x345px
When it comes to DL3, most often people's opinions will be divided. There will be a vocal Sakurai camp who will call game awful slow shit, and other people who usually like the game quite a lot.

The thing is, DL3 is simply a different style of a game. It's much quieter and slower than Adventure or Super Star. It's not Sakurai-style action bordering on Smash Bros. But it's an outstanding game in its own right.

So unless you're a hardcore Sakurai fan, you're only doing yourself a disservice if you don't play DL3. Just make sure to have a guide on how to get a heart star in each level, those puzzles can be weird.
>>
>>3758161
It doesn't mean much since there aren't any bad Kirby games, retro or otherwise.
>>
>>3759293
There are no great ones, either.

Kirby is a mediocre, overly easy series.
>>
>>3759259
this pretty much
Yoshi's Island and Kirby's Dream Land 3 are both exceptional because their gameplay is complemented by actual Art Direction - insane attention to detail.

I think it's the best Kirby game but I'm biased because it was my first.
>>
>>3759296
>Kirby is a mediocre, overly easy series.
"Har har, I 1cc'ed R-type when I was still a fetus. I was deployed to Iraq but I returned because it was too easy"
>>
>>3757923
its very pretty but after dreamland 2 i think the game should have done a lot more. besides the each stage puzzle gimmick and player 2 being gooey, there's not a lot to say about it.
>>
>>3757923
beautiful but less fun and challenging than NES game
>>
After the greatness that is Super Star, DL3 was a bit of a let down. Not saying it's bad, it just wasn't as fun.
>>
>>3758271
There's that one collectable where you have to go through a big sequence of trading one partner for another.
>>
File: vlcpmtrackwm.png (71KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcpmtrackwm.png
71KB, 640x400px
Looks great!
>>
>>3757923
Slooow.
>>
>>3759307
He has a point though.
I recently played Kirby64 and barely died, had 25ish lives by the end and only ever struggled on a couple bosses (only ever losing to Miracle Matter, though, before I figured out his gimmick).
While that's not a problem, in the end it felt as If I had blasted through the game. If I had died amd struggled more, the areas would have been more memorable. As it stands I beat everything so fast, Kirby 64 became just a brief afternoon of forgettable fun.
>>
>>3759304
I think you mean yoshis story but I agree with your point.
>>3757923
Easily the comfiest kirby game, which is quite a feat bc kirby as a series is quite comfy. Might be my favorite kirby game.
I could see how people would view this game as a downgrade to the series since it came after SS, but its just a different game.
>>
>>3759678
stop spamming your shitty game fag
>>
File: Yoshi-Layers-iso.png (150KB, 662x707px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshi-Layers-iso.png
150KB, 662x707px
>>3759887
I don't – Yoshi's Island had way more thought to its graphics because even though it had a special chip in the PCB, it was still locked to a 8x8 tile grid, the standard VRAM size and modes 0-7 only. No extra palettes, no extra colors, no extra graphic banks.

Even so, they STILL managed to make everything look beautiful and seamless. There's some insane programming trickery below the surface.

Yoshi's Story is just pre-rendered garbage; 8bpp trash on quadrilateral polygons. Pretty? I guess. Concise art direction? No way.

Pro tip: if you open NO$SNS palette viewer when running Kirby's Dream Land 3, there are colors in the game screen that don't appear in the palette viewer at all. No idea how but my best guess is that they actually change the palette mid-scanline. That's some deep shit m8
>>
>>3759940
Wow that's crazy. Yeah yoshis island is a beautiful game, easily one of my favorites. I had no idea how complex the graphics were.
The Kirby palette thing is hella weird too, very interesting
>>
>>3759940
How did they get that many layers?

I wouldn't be surprised if half of those are either sprites, or some of the bgs change their priority and scroll values mid-scanline.

The clouds for example could be sprites, and the happy hills' bottom could have the green bushes - the transition point between the two is hdiden by the purple trees' layer.

The sky could be overscan colour changed every scanline, but I'm not sure if the SNES even had a selectable overscan colour. I know that Sega consoles had them.

I'm just guessing though.
>>
>>3759901
Just report him and move on.
>>
>>3759940
>>3759985
>Pro tip: if you open NO$SNS palette viewer when running Kirby's Dream Land 3, there are colors in the game screen that don't appear in the palette viewer at all. No idea how but my best guess is that they actually change the palette mid-scanline. That's some deep shit m8
Kirby games always make such wonderful use of color. In this case Dreamland 3 used a mode of Nintendo’s “pseudo high-resolution” which does color blending between two adjacent pixels to give sprites the illusion of having more colors than there really were. The Kirby cart also takes advantage of the SA-1 chip to boost processing for the larger number of bitmaps and special effects.
>>
>>3760162
>“pseudo high-resolution” which does color blending between two adjacent pixels

That's called transparency, not pseudo high resolution.
>>
>>3759985
Those layers are a standard feature for SNES games. I forgot what it was called exactly ... HDMA? Something like that. It's also noticable in the DKC games. When you move into one direction the layers move at different speeds so it creates a depth effect.
>>
>>3760167
Parallax scrolling
>>
>>3760165
Transparency uses overlap.
>>
>>3760165
You're a retard.
>>
>>3758161
>Worst retro Kirby game.
Finally I'm not the only one who thinks this.
>>
>>3759849
That's Kirby 64 for you. Yep, it's very easy
>>
>>3760802
It's not an uncommon opinion, desu ne.
>>
>>3759958
>>3759985
You get excited over nothing. That's your average SNES game graphics: 3 layers and a BG.
>>
>>3761039
Yes, but the priority is changed mid-blank. The stack from top to bottom:

2bpp sprite - HUD
2bpp - Green bush
4bpp - Sprites
4bpp - Pipe + Grass
2bpp - Purple trees
2bpp - Happy hills
2bpp - Clouds
HDMA gradient - Sky
all of these move independently.

Compare it to 95% of all SNES games where it's 4bpp FG, 4bpp BG, 2bpp HUD and 4bpp sprites. Some games do parallax scrolling, though, which is cool I guess.

>>3760162
You're right about KDL3 using Pseudo Hi-res mode, but that's not it. I don't know what the trick is but I'm certain it's not either Pseudo Hi-res or Transparency.
>>
>>3758161
You must be over 18 to post here, contrarian kiddo.
>>
>>3759296
Kirby isn't supposed to be hard, is supposed to be fun and at being fun it does a wonderful job.
>>
>>3761158
Well, I guess this is technically impressive. But the gradient is just that—it doesn't move per se, so together with the clouds it's just a BG. And HUD is not that important for presentation, given it doesn't appear too often. Really, the only real difference this makes from that pic is that the hills and the purple tress actually move separately.

Needless to say, it's still one of the best-looking SNES games, and it is impressive nonetheless. But I don't exactly see anything mindblowing about 1 more layer of parallax, and that "green bush" layer. To me, what was far more impressive was the sprites, with the rarely seen amount of halftones and overall detail.

>>3761160
Are you telling me I can't boast my 1cc Kirby score online? But then why should I play it when you have Battle Garegga????
>>
>>3761158
Are there other SNES games that use pseudo hi-res mode, and can you disable it in DL3?
>>
The controls are stiff compared to DL2, Super Star, and Adventure. Most levels are disappointing as they're mostly flat or have too many sluggish auto-scrolling segments mashed with one-way forks resulting in playing the boring parts of dull levels again to complete missions. Matching minigames are a terrible alternative and if you aren't paying attention, that's another whole level to slog through.

Art style is gorgeous, music is great. More buddies was neat, but the majority of the abilities aren't utilized like in Kirby 64 and pairing up with most of the new ones is more of a hindrance when it comes to your movement options.

I enjoyed parts of it, but I don't see how some people can consider it the best of the series.
>>
I compared Kirby's speed in DL3 to his speed in DL1 and DL2, for those who call it slow.

His running speed is identical to his movement speed in those games, only his walking speed is slower. I think it's to make co-op less hectic.
>>
>>3761769
KDL3 is perceived as 'slow' because when you exhale the air bullet when flying, your horizontal velocity is set to 0. It's unknown if this is a developer oversight or a deliberate feature, but to my knowledge, KDL3 the only Kirby game that does this. There's a patch to fix the issue.

>>3761185
There are many but as far as I remember, most games use it only for menus and dialog. Secret of Mana (I think..?) for menus and Mario's Super Picross for text, at least.

There's also a shitty racing game called "RPM Racing" that uses the True High resolution mode. It's 512 x 448 and shit
>>
>>3762785
>There's a patch to fix the issue.
Where?
>>
not as good as 64 but still good/10
>>
>>3761769
My opinion there's two (well three) branches of Kirby.
Dreamworld Branch - less powers, animal friends/power combination (in 64), environmental puzzles. KDW, KDW2, KDW3, K64, in a way Power Paintbrush/Canvas Curse
Adventure Branch - Lots of powers, no animal friends, puzzles are easy as shit, necessary power usually next to or slightly before it. Adventure, Superstar, Squeak Squad
Experimental Branch: games Kirby was chucked into for brand recognition. Star Stacker, Avalanche, Dream Course
>>
>>3757923
can u not form your own thoughts? are you 18?
>>
Kirby never went fully 3D, aside from Air Ride. Guess why it never went to shit.
>>
>>3762976
Your opinion is more spot on than you think, all games in the Dreamworld branch were directed by Shinichi Shimomura and all games in the Adventure branch were directed by Masahiro Sakurai
>>
>>3762993
It went to shit after Air Ride, the last great Kirby game.
>>
>>3758161
I know DL3 has it's flaws but I love it to death. Second favorite kirby game ever for me.
>>
>>3757923
Underrated and very good
Harder than most Kirby games
God-tier graphics
Some of the quests are gay though
Also can this be injected on the N3DS or does it use some special chip? inb4 snes9x, that runs like trash for the games I've tried (DQIII, KSS). Pocketsnes is a bit better but has awful screen tearing
>>
>>3762820
Google borokobo air bullet
>>
>>3765732
Nothing. Even searching "Kirby's Dreamland 3 air bullet fix by borokobo" the patch doesn't come up.
>>
>>3765769
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/neo/download.html
Google translate gives "smooth hovering" i think
>>
File: 38284984_p0.png (659KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
38284984_p0.png
659KB, 1024x768px
>>3765780
Just tested this, it works with both US and JP version of the game. Thanks.
>>
>>3758271
>DL2
Adventure is significantly harder than DL2.

Adventure is by far the hardest Kirby game. Still easy though.
>>
>>3762785
>developer oversight
would be kinda hard to oversee lmao
>>
>>3758161
SSUltra > Adventure > SS > DL2 > DL3 > DL1 > 64 > NiDL
included remakes just because
and you buggin if you think dl1 is better than 2
>>
File: CiLnJCS.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
CiLnJCS.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
>>3765806
Speaking of which, wanna shit bricks?
Do a binary diff of the US and JP versions of the game. There's only like 13 bytes of difference in the two ROMs and nobody's quite sure why.
>>
>>3766785
It's probably just like a section of 4x4 pixel of a Japanese character for debug.
>>
pretty good game, played it all the time with my sis when we were kids. I think I 100%'d this once
>>
>>3757923
gameplay is overshadowed by superstar, but the music is top tier snes quality, up there with chrono trigger and megaman x
>>
>>3757923
It's a good starter game. I've been playing this with a child and she is picking up on it. Although she does avoid combat by flying when there's too many enemies or when there's a boss fight.

For context though: not my child. Her family is a tenant in our apartment house (as my father is the landlord). She visits on occasion either because her parents are out or she wants to watch the Disney Channel and play video games because they don't allow her to watch that much TV and as far as I know she doesn't have any video game consoles.

Also, she strangely is reluctant to go first in the bonus round of the level. I tell her this part don't matter but she still insists that I go first.

Kids today, I swear.
>>
>>3758161
So much this.

DL2 should be above DL1, but the ranking is accurate.
>>
>>3770134
sounds p. cute desu
>>
>>3770134
This, also a good game to play with the wife.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.