[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Donkey Kong 64 is one of my favorite childhood games. I love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (934KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
934KB, 800x600px
Donkey Kong 64 is one of my favorite childhood games. I love 3d platformers, and I really like collectathons, but I can recognize that it is flawed. Unlike its predecessor, Banjo Kazooie, it required a copious amount of backtracking. This wouldn't be so problematic if it weren't required to backtrack to get every Golden Banana, regular banana, blueprint, and hit every Kong/gun switch. So I've been thinking of a couple of ways to remove the unnecessary and bad amount of backtracking for the sake of collecting simplicity, but without destroying the mechanic of multiple characters and defeating the purpose of it. Tell me what would improve the game enough without taking away from it
>1.Allow Kongs to collect any colored banana, regardless of who it belongs to. The Kong related to the color must still be rescued for his/her banana to spawn. Golden bananas are unaffected by this change
>2.Allow the ability to switch Kongs on the spot, say through pause screen or something, so you don't have to find the tag barrel and keep going back and forth
>3.Levels that do not have Kongs unlocked by the time you are there have little or no items for them in it. This means either adding more levels or altering the content in early/late levels*
*Of course I understand the work this would require, bt we're just discussing for the sake of better game design
If you have any ideas as well don't be afraid to post. How could this game have been designed better?
>>
this game gives me fond memories but is a buggy piece of shit
>>
>>3757148
buggy?
>>
Less mini games. I feel that too many golden bananas are earned from bonus barrels instead of missions you complete within the level itself. If more golden bananas were earned this way, then the levels would feel less empty and more memorable. This would ease the tedious nature that the game suffers from overall.
>>
>>3757073
I liked donkey kong country returns
>>
>>3757174
there's a lot of glitches with places in walls/slopes, and you can actually get around a lot with the DK's dash attack and Lanky's standing 1-2 combo to stretch and get in places you shouldn't.
Also the hardware was programmed differently to compensate for natural lag.
>>
>>3757073
I think you already mentioned the most tedious points, OP
>>3757205
Also I agree with this, the mini games repeat too much

In addition the music was not as good as in other Rare platformers, e.g. Banjo-Kazooie or Tooie
>>
It's bad in every single aspect except for the level designs.

Seriously this game had the best designed levels of any 3D platformer ever. Frantic Factory really felt like diving through a mechanical complex, Angry Aztec felt like exploring abandoned ruins in mesoamerica, compared to contemporary games such as Banjo-Tooie which just has a few totems on a hill and calls itself Mayan.
>>
>>3757073
I played this game in my childhood too, and I honestly think it's kinda terrible. Sure, there's a lot of talent that has gone into making it, but the game is so fundamentally flawed. The gameplay is akin to cleaning your apartment, it contains massive amounts of shallow gameplay elements that are not fleshed out in the slightest, and the tone is straight up obnoxious. It's just bad.

If you want to play a Donkey Kong game, stick to DKC2. If you want to play a 3D adventure game where you use different forms with different abilities, stick to Majora's Mask. If you just wanna collect shit, stick to Banjo.

DK64 is redundant.
>>
Ah, the game that killed Dixie Kong for over a decade until Retro brought her back.

Kiddy wasn't so lucky.
>>
>>3758263
But what if I want to play Donkey Kong 64, what do I play then?
>>
File: TNT_MAP25_map[1].png (36KB, 1600x1102px) Image search: [Google]
TNT_MAP25_map[1].png
36KB, 1600x1102px
>>3758256
The level design is hit and miss. Yes, there's a lot of nice architecture and level design, but it's all essentially isolated rooms serving as pockets of gameplay, separated by long, tedious corridors. It doesn't feel very cohesive, nor very impressive upon closer inspection.

It kinda reminds me of the level Baron's Den from Final Doom. The difference being that Baron's Den was alright, since it was just one level, while most of DK64 sticks to this type of level design. Also, Doom had good gameplay, unlike DK64.
>>
>>3758270
Clean your apartment. It takes less time, and it's more productive.
>>
>>3758280
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with room-based level designs in case the rooms are distinguishable. OoT is basically just one room after another.
>>
File: 1484326833994m.jpg (55KB, 1024x714px) Image search: [Google]
1484326833994m.jpg
55KB, 1024x714px
This thread reminded me that /vr/ hates a challenge and anything non linear
>>
Never really had a 64 as a kid but I do now.
About to get an expansion pak and this game wish me luck
>inb4 it sux
Don't care I'm a huge dk fan
>>
The most fun I had in the game was when I completely ignored collecting shit and just picked a Kong to run through a level with, beating up enemies.

Less is more
>>
>>3758027
>Also the hardware was programmed differently

?

>>3758256
You're implying the music was bad, anon?
>>
>>3758785
Name a worse OST in the series.
>>
>>3758791
You're moving the goalpost.
Also, I haven't really played all the DK games, probably the GBC or GBA versions of the DKC games?

again, you're implying DK64's ost is bad?
Go listen to Frantic Factory and tell me it's bad with a straight face.
>>
>>3757073
I've thought about this before, though I approached it from the angle of feasibly hacking the rom rather than pure game design discussion.

I think the easiest solution to make the game more playable would be to change some bananas to rainbow bananas that any kong can pick up. That way if there's a section that leads to something only Lanky can use and there's a row of blue bananas leading up to it, it serves as a clue that you'll need lanky. Then when you backtrack later, those bananas are still there to clue you in. But if there were some Lanky bananas just sitting in a field or whatever that every kong can just walk through, change them to rainbow bananas that anyone can pick up.

If one kong picks up a rainbow banana that was formerly, say, a Tiny exclusive banana, that banana still goes to tiny's counter even if she hasn't been unlocked yet. This is simply to preserve the game's way of tracking how many and which bananas have been collected. And if you change stuff with the counters, who knows what weird secondary affects that could have on the game, so I think it'd be best to keep those as is.

The amount of bananas needed to fight the boss of each level would probably need to be raised to compensate.

Allow any kong to pick up any blueprint or other special item, as those aren't really used as clues for which character you'll need soon. If you can beat one of those guys with whatever kong then you clearly didn't need whatever specific kong you're meant to pick up the blueprint with.

I'd keep the character barrel however, switching between kongs whenever you want might make the game too easy. You wouldn't have to learn how to play well or deal with enemies or obstacles as each kong, you could get away with just switching.

Backtracking can be a good thing, as it is DK64 just goes way overboard with forcing it in pointless ways. I think this would cut a lot of the bad while still keeping the backtracking that has a point.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3758541
What about DK 64 was challenging?
hard mode: bonus barrel minigames aside
>>
>>3759006
So you mean you agree with >>3757073's #1?
I can agree with you. The fact that reg bananas are the key to fighting bosses, the requirement will probably have to be raised, but aside from that I think you're onto something. After all without reg bananas, the backtracking is slimmed down enormously, and what remains are gold bananas, blueprints, misc things like fairies, or the occasional "one kong procts the mission another kong must finish".
I also thought if designers made all gold bananas collectible by everyone, but still kept the design the same (on the off chance you could find a way to get it with DK, even if its supposed to be gotten by Diddy for example). This will shave down on unnecessary backtracking while still keeping the challenge of getting the bananas in the first place.
>>
>>3759035
arcade DK

Not difficult to people who already knew how to play it, but a lot of kids got stuck in that part since it requires you beating at least the first loop of the game without getting game over.
>>
>>3759053
To be fair, fall damage in Donkey Kong (arcade) is worse than Conker.
Though because it gives you a 1up when you beat it the first time, getting the Nintendo coin is a breeze. It's just that damn Golden Banana challenge.
>>
Somebody remind me why Creepy Castle was bad again?
>>
>>3758802
I don't have to listen to it, I've been able to play it on the piano since I was 14. And there were no goalposts to move because I didn't specify any parameters by which to judge the music, making a comparison to the other games valid and Kirkhope is no Wise.
>>
>>3759035
DK64 is full of asshole bosses. Notably the jack-in-the-box, blowfish, cardboard cut-out and ofc K. Rool's boxing match which I remember giving me unreasonable amounts of trouble for what it was.
>>
>>3757073
>Donkey Kong 64 is one of my favorite childhood games. I

d-d-durrr retard
>>
>>3760571
What exactly is your point?
>>
Oh... bananana
>>
>>3759006
You have to get rid of the character barrel. You have to go back and forth to it to switch among five characters to do specific things. That is tedious. Back tracking back and forth to collect or activate something doesn't add anything meaningful to playing the game outside of inflating playtime.

You have to be able to switch on the fly, though when that happens what is the point of the various colored collectibles? By then just make them all a neutral color that any character can pick up rather than constantly shifting among various characters.

For areas that require a certain character? Obviously just lock it so you cannot switch to other characters forcing the player to utilize that one for the boss, room, or what ever so they are playing that area as intended.

There would have to be balance changes to make sure the characters can gain their skills when they need them through coin spending and since the coins will be neutral there will have to be a bit of intervention with when skills should be introduced making sure the player won't spend coins on a skill they won't need yet but have the coins to get and then getting stuck.
>>
>>3761038
That's why I'm saying keep the tag barrel, but let all bananas (maybe even golden bananas) be universally collectible. There's plenty of missions where you have to use a specific ground pound or gun switch to access.
I don't think switching characters a maximum of 25 times per level for 5 characters is too much, just take out the reg bananas backtracking.
>>
>>3761098
There shouldn't be a need to back track for the character specific skill areas (like punching open an area), music, or what have you. Just let the player change on the fly.

If you don't want the player for a certain section to swap characters just lock them into the one that is suppose to do the challenge. There is a lot of going back and forth, and it is more than just regular bananas.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.