[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it within the realm of possibility to fulfill a desire to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: FX3advh5.jpg (24KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
FX3advh5.jpg
24KB, 1000x1000px
Is it within the realm of possibility to fulfill a desire to truly experience retro games without using emulators, the Virtual Console, etc? Specifically NES and SNES games.

I know some of the games get expensive as dick, but I'd like to be able to actually collect the games. I'm not really opposed to the idea of using a flash cart, but deep down inside of my soul I know I'd rather be able to collect the original cartridges themselves
>>
>>3755887
>I know some of the games get expensive as dick, but I'd like to be able to actually collect the games.

Get a fucking job and learn to budget, they're really not that expensive compared to other costs of regular adult life. Anyone who's not a starving student should be able to afford collecting if that's what they want to do.
>>
>>3755892
But it's not the only thing I like to collect, dickweed. Shit adds up, and sometimes the prices for individual games are ridiculous. And when you compare 70 bucks for Super Metroid with 40 bucks for a used copy of a new game, yeah, it's pretty expensive from my point of view.
>>
>>3755907
>and learn to budget

I'm so sorry that you can't buy everything you ever possibly wanted. And yes Super Metroid will be expensive. It's a collector's item. You're a collector.
>>
>>3755923
Fair enough, buttmunch.
>>
>>3755930
I would say that I hope it finally sinks in this time, but I know it won't. See you next thread when you make the same bitchfest again.
>>
I've done the whole collecting thing and it's like throwing your money in a bottomless well there's always more games you want to buy,get a flashcart it's the exact same thing except for not pulling a game off the shelf
>>
>>3755892
Buy the games you can afford and flashcart the ones that you can't. You'll never be able to play a real Little Samson cartridge but at least you'll be able to play everything else.
>>
>>3755887
shouldn't have thrown away your old console, shithead
>>
Drive to every yard and garage sale there is. Plenty of old farts with their kids games in a box with no idea the old junk is worth anything. Lots of work with rare reward, but it beats making some flipper on ebay rich. This shit was mass produced, and the artificial economy of Ebay doesn't hold in some hillbilly garage next to some "Pokeyman" games.
>>
Just sell the games back once you're done playing. It'll be like when you were a kid and mostly borrowed, traded, and rented without ever owning many games at once.
>>
>>3756198
>Drive to every yard and garage sale there is
Don't do this. Its a waste of time and you'll most likely see everyday appliances, maybe some old outdated tech. No one wants or uses anymore (not including retro games)
>>
>>3756198
This was decent advice 10 and 15 years ago. It's only like that for PS2-360 era stuff now.
>>
>>3757435
And usually nothing good for those systems even. Mostly sports and licences games.
>>
>>3757448
Well that's how it was looking for SNES and Genesis stuff as well. It's always been 90% "Sports Game '96" that's just garage sale hunting in general.
>>
>>3755887
>h-hey guys
>I kinda want to buy games but I kinda don't want to spend money
>wat should I do?
1) Learn about demand and supply
2) Stop trying to get into collecting when you have no money
>>
>>3757465
It's not fair that other people can have things I want just because they worked hard and saved their money though. I should have just as much right to it.
>>
>>3755934

This. It's always the same with these faggots who want to collect.
>>
ITT reseller faggots and/or newbie collectors with no memories of when collecting used to be relatively cheap side with resellers... Or maybe they're just resellers themselves.

In all, I've most likely profited from recent ebay lunacy, but that doesn't mean I'm going to side with resellers.
>>
>>3757610
No one is disputing that there was a time when games were dirt cheap because most people didn't realize anyone wanted them. It's the idiots now who 10-15 years later think that artificially low price should have become the standard and they get mad that they can't get everything they want for next to nothing.

/vr/ needs lessons in growing the fuck up.
>>
>>3757610
Supply and demand you fucking retard.
>>
Using real consoles with a good CRT will "fulfill a desire to truly experience retro games" even with flashcarts. If you're SUPER cheap and/or don't want to have to select games from menus buy bootlegs. As cheap as Super Everdrives are though it's hard to justify buying SNES bootlegs though.
>>
>>3757643

Wow, you passed high school economics. Color me impressed, but that has nothing at all to do with my post.
>>
>>3757681
0/10
>>
I paid $5 for my copy of Snatcher a while back when it was already worth $200 on ebay. Ebay was a thing at the time, but it was at a hole in the wall flea market in bumfuck USA. People are so apathetic here that I doubt there are really many flippers combing places for games.

You lazy fucks need to get out once and a while. That copy of Snatcher would have still been $5 today, because where I am it's still just junk to the unwashed savages. Anything with a gasoline engine is another story.

Ebay did ruin a local in person auction because literally everything there gets priced on the old smartphone by flippers who supplement their disability checks with auction finds.
>>
File: 1485240289775.jpg (69KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485240289775.jpg
69KB, 640x640px
>>3757465
I'm perfectly happy to spend the money collecting. I really only made this thread to get some feedback on whether I should just say fuck it and stick to flash carts 100% or just buy what I can afford and use a flash cart for the shit that costs money out the ass. I also wanted to know if a game like Super Metroid is really worth as much as it goes for, or if I should dig around and find people who aren't inflating the price.
I did word this thread like a bit of a nigger though, so I don't blame you folks for the hate.
I appreciate the advice regardless.
>>
>>3757947
>I'm perfectly happy to spend the money collecting.

lol
>>
>>3757947
>I also wanted to know if a game like Super Metroid is really worth as much as it goes for
How can it be "worth it"? Games are not simply used goods. They are collector's items of limited quality. Their price isn't based on their gameplay value, but on their rarity, prestige and hype.
>>
real games/discs are for faggots
emulators are for faggots

deal with that opinion.
>>
>>3758789
>prestige
Wew lad it's not a Rolex or something
>>
>>3758860
it is to a 30 year old neckbeard.
>>
>>3756198
Why not just call them
>>
>>3755907
Buy the Japanese cartridge of super metroid, the contents of the cartridge are identical in this case but it's cheaper.
>>
File: ebateman.jpg (52KB, 650x370px) Image search: [Google]
ebateman.jpg
52KB, 650x370px
>>3758860
It's a bit tongue in cheek, but it's really about prestige. People buy a lot of this shit to feel special and show off. Yeah, it's poorfag millennials' prestige, but it's prestige nonetheless.

When a game holds special value to you, or you bought it simply to play it, you don't flash it all the time when you get an opportunity.
>>
>>3758828
Pinball fan?
>>
there's many ways of collecting, buy the games you want, buy rare games as an investment, buy loose games just to play them, buy only certain legacies, buy fuckin everything etc. personally since I don't have time to play I like to buy important/rare games in the best conditions possible so I'll be glad when I look at them on the shelf and when I realize I don't care about them anymore and I'd rather buy a new porsche I'll be able to sell them quick & easy since they are mint.
>>
>>3757435
I still find stuff at yard sales but you need to go in the right area, you need to be early (7 AM or earlier) and you need to talk to people and ask about things on your list. Even with that it's still too much trouble if the only thing you're looking for is games. I repair and resell appliances so I need to be out there every week anyway.
>>
>>3760334
Yeah, yard sales are good for treasure hunting in general. I would like to find a 59 Les Paul guitar worth six figures...stuff like that has been found cheap before.
>>
>>3755887
>blah blah blah dick is expensive blah blah blah
I'll let you suck my dick for free any time faggot.
In fact if you do a good job I'll tell my friends and then you can suck their dicks for money and afford to buy old toys.
>>
>>3755887
>it within the realm of possibility to fulfill a desire to truly experience retro games without using emulators, the Virtual Console, etc? Specifically NES and SNES games.
No, because you will never sit around the lunch room table with your friends at school again. The culture was a large part of the experience, and I'm not talking about the gamer culture that only really evolved in the 2000s, but the share experiences, tips, and tricks kind.

This concept of 'purity' in retro gaming is a dragon chase for those who weren't around at the time, and just like how there is no 'true' scotsman, there is no 'pure' way to play a retro game. Just shut up, and enjoy the gameplay.

Plastic parts from the 80s and 90s aren't some sort of irreproducible artifacts, they are just totems for a childhood you didn't experience.

Only controllers really need to be first party, because we all know how shitty third party garbage is
>>
>>3760503
>gamer culture that only really evolved in the 2000s
Are you projecting or just trying to console OP?

Pretty sure the chink who threw up on my shoe and said do lay lomo chow high in a thick glaswegian accent was a true scotsman.
>>
>>3760503
>and just like how there is no 'true' scotsman

wow you're retarded
>>
>>3755887
Just get a snes and all stars / super combo cart
Any other games worth playing?
Fuck no
>>
>>3761613
Explain 'just like the devs intended' and all the autistic shit that sources from that (SCART, square pixels, emulators aren't legeit, et. al).

>>3761583
I'm saying that you didn't have Game Fuel and E-sports in 1994.
>>
>>3755887
Yeah

Do what adults do and budget.

If you're buying a soda every day at the machine for a buck, just stop and you can afford a copy of something expensive like earthbound in like half ayear.

Stop buying expensive drinks at starbucks.

Learn how to do bulk cooking and make meals cheaply.

Thats all there is to it.

You can get away wtih buying imports things like >>3755907 Super metroid are the exact same ROM.
>>
>>3757947
Buy flashcarts
Track how much you actually use them.

After that, then you can decide whether or not you want to buy the games.
>>
>>3755887
Buy flashcarts. Tell the retro video game stock market to go fuck itself.
>>
I have SNES and N64 flashcarts and they have served me well.

However, for NES instead of buying the console and the flashcart I just got two controllers and usb connectors for them. Connected them to my pc and just emulated. As far as I'm concerned if you're playing the game with the original controller that's close enough to getting the original experience, especially if you use crt filters on the emulator. Doing it this way is more than a hundred bucks cheaper than getting a flashcart, and it's probably what I'll do when I want to explore other systems libraries.

That doesn't work if you want to have a collection you can show off to people, but if you just want to play the games this is probably the best way to do it if you don't want to spend much.
>>
>>3762283
>being this assmad/poor/underage/etc
>>
>>3755887
If you want to REALLY collect old games, then I suggest skipping virtual console BS, unless of course you don't mind supporting DRM that can leave you high and dry.

Anyway, it may be pricier in the short term, but buy a flashcart, then, you're getting a fully accurate experience and can decide then if you really love a game and have to have it, or if it was just a passing fancy. Less regrets long term.

In the end, you need to educate yourself a bit more on this market. These guys have good advice >>3762269
>>3762351

You can learn a lot about where/when to get good deals. There's a few "unorthodox" methods that I will not be sharing with you, simply because too many other fags will steal, but I do have some tips.

If you put some effort into searching the right places, you'll find good deals, or, make your own good deals(sales). Try to think of where you used to find deals, try to get automation(scripts) working for you. One final tip: Look a bit harder on ebay; BIN(buy it now) is RARELY ever the best deal... Think about it. I've given you a lot of tools to save cash, put them together.

Oh, I lied, one more tip, and if nothing else, take this to heart: Have patience.
>>
>>3755892
Good old "You can save your way out of poverty." rhetoric. Thanks for solving the poverty crisis, ya dingus.
>>
>>3762351
>crt filters
>original experience
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.