[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 Controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_20170122_161447.jpg (2MB, 2752x3033px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170122_161447.jpg
2MB, 2752x3033px
Been working on figuring out the best N64 stick.

Controller in pic is a 3rd party controller. TTC brand. Buttons feel good, and has a good stick. Apparently there are two models with the same packaging. This one's stick is great, but I've heard the other one is crap.

Lower right is a GCN style stick. It's from this listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0136JPKIS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_jYuHyb13JTZVC. They say that you might wind up with the old model (has a hole in the middle of the thumb pad on the joystick). I got the new model. I ordered from the Marketplace listings, with Amazon as the seller. Cost $11.95.

Lower left is another replacement stick. I got it for $10 at a local shop. It isn't as tight as the stick in that controller, but seems okay. I popped it open and it's the same mechanism as the OEM model, but with a little added silicon lube.

The stick in this controller is the closest to a brand new OEM stick I've found. The GCN style one is great, but some people might not like how different it feels. Lower left is the worst of the three, but the octagonal gate is the best of the three. I may try to swap out the gate but keep the mechanism.

Anyone have any other experiences or shit to add? Anyone repaired theirs and have a good technique?
>>
File: IMG_4606.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4606.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3754449
This is what the good stick of that model looks like.
>>
File: 51C92AnNqhL._SY300_.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
51C92AnNqhL._SY300_.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>3754449
>>3754451
TTX brand controller, as in pic. Not TKK
>>
>>3754449
>>3754451
>TFW your info gets reposted

Anyways, yeah, I've also toyed with the idea of swapping gates on the TTX controller, but I don't know where to get spares outside of ordering spare joysticks or the bad TTX controllers.
>>
>>3754449
Get a Hori controller, got one. Never looking back.
>>
>>3755193
I can't justify $80-120 for a controller, especially since I'd want a full set of 4 for multiplayer.
>>
>>3755687
>having friends
>having friends who don't have their own n64s
>>
>>3754483
Didn't mean to steal credit from you; I used your photo to make sure I got a 3rd party with a good stick, so I really appreciate it. I just thought I'd expand with the other joysticks.

Has anyone done the pen-barrel repair? Basically a portion of a disposable pen barrel is fashioned into a replacement stick mount. Seems like a decent solution.

>>3755193
With the price of the minipad (which I'm assuming is the Horizon you're talking about) you can start to consider those Steelstick things, but that's still outside my current range. That'd add 25-50% to my total costs this far (which include an Everdrive, controller, and a good s-video cable).
>>
File: latest.png (384KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
384KB, 640x480px
>>3755942
What? No, that was a happy remark, I just forgot to add the image.

I'm just glad to help people find better replacements.
>>
File: horicommandern64.jpg (198KB, 792x754px) Image search: [Google]
horicommandern64.jpg
198KB, 792x754px
>>3754449
Anyone tried the other hori pad
It's got turbo
>>
File: Grab_a_hold_of_this.jpg (3MB, 1700x2338px) Image search: [Google]
Grab_a_hold_of_this.jpg
3MB, 1700x2338px
The original sticks create a lot of dust due it its plastic-on-plastic friction. It is sort of strange that the machine tooled steel replacement parts still use the plastic gear arms/pivots considering steel-on-plastic friction may shave off more faster.

Anyone tried these parts?
http://www.enkko.com/preorders/
>>
>>3757498
They need to sell the swively bad thing the stick locks into, too, for me to be interested. I don't want to refurbish 2/3 of my stick assembly.
>>
>>3754449
N64 controller sucks
>>
>>3757676
Tahnk you fur yuo valuable opinon
>>
>>3754449
Why do these things still sell on amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8KD2V0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01M8KD2V0&linkId=104034c91f9d867832d8dae754d17a90
>>
>>3757686
Are they particularly shitty or something?
>>
>>3757686
Man! That SSH image is amazing.

It says Brawl, but features a character only in 4 and another from Mario Kart 8. Brawl isn't on the 64. The image on the screen has an on-screen control overlay for a 64 controller. Mario is holding a fucking tennis racket. Just about everything ib it that can be wrong is wrong.
>>
File: Performance 64.jpg (40KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Performance 64.jpg
40KB, 400x300px
>>3754449
In my experience the TTX ones have never been good, but they're always changing the parts on the inside to whatever's cheapest at the time of manufacture, some might be better than others.

I got my hands on this Performance N64 controller, for $9. (Pic is from google, I'm at work right now). The analog stick is fantastic, I played a bunch of Mario 64 with it, and it feels almost like a brand new 1st party controller in terms of how it plays. The drawbacks are the stick stupid tall, like an inch and a half tall, so my thumb, and I've got big hands, is completely extended to grasp it. The handle is also stupid thick, using it feels like holding something slightly bigger than a two litre bottle the entire time. And the d-pad is trash, but that doesn't matter for 99% of N64 games. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can combine it with the shell and buttons of an original 64 controller to make a decent Frankenstein controller.
>>
>>3758139
I had that controller as a young'un, it was great until the Z-button caved in. That's probably easy enough to fix though.
>>
I think it's surprising there aren't any good replacement sticks made from the same rubbery material as the durable ones for sale on places like eBay. All I see is the same brittle plastic ones for replacement, and I dunno how easy they are to replace either.
>>
>>3760517
They're super easy to replace, it's just a cable from the stick that plugs into the controller's board. If you have a screwdriver, you can replace an N64 stick.

Problem is, most replacement sticks are complete trash. The ones branded "Repair Box" for instance, 50% of the stick's range is a deadzone, and once you get the stick to where you'll actually see movement on the screen it goes from zero to full speed right away. There's little to no actual analog movement, trying to move in a circle is more like snapping between the 8 directions like a d-pad.

I don't understand why all the replacement sticks are so bad. I mean, they're made for enthusiasts, but enthusiasts don't like them because they're trash.
>>
>>3761856
Because noone can get the range right.

Nintendo used optical encoders, which are linear, but many 3rd party sticks use resistive pots, which are more often than not logarithmic.
If they do get linear pots, they forget to trim the range.
>>
>>3762030
I've been playing Pilotwings 64 this week. It's fucking bonkers how sensitive the game is to input. I can turn a hangglider without even really being aware I've moved my thumb. And a 1% change in stick position actually reads in the game.
>>
just use gc pad
>>
File: N64.jpg (91KB, 637x953px) Image search: [Google]
N64.jpg
91KB, 637x953px
Can we talk about the concerning amount of people who hold it wrongly?
>>
>>3754449
You need to find a Horipad mini 64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBBCPePOg4
>>
>>3762852
And how are you supposed to hit the Z button with the top image?
>>
>>3762852
you would have to be a literal retard to hold it like that
>>
File: N64-2.jpg (20KB, 576x433px) Image search: [Google]
N64-2.jpg
20KB, 576x433px
>>3762864
No problem whatsoever.
>>
>>3763123
You should consider that many people have small hands. I remember when someone handed me an XBOX controller and it felt enormous and unwieldy. I'll hold a controller any way that works for me.
>>
File: N64-3.jpg (30KB, 634x477px) Image search: [Google]
N64-3.jpg
30KB, 634x477px
>>3763140
Well, it wasn't a problem for 6 years old me and here's a 10yo holding it.
>>
>>3763146
and what is the point when most games don't even use the D-pad or L button?
>>
File: N64wtf.jpg (13KB, 375x347px) Image search: [Google]
N64wtf.jpg
13KB, 375x347px
>>3763391
The point is holding it properly.

Also I find holding the middle handle and moving the joystick with your thumb as if it were a DualShock/Xbox control is pretty uncomfortable due the joystick's height and octagonal restrictor.

Pinching when you need precision is easier to do if you hold it symmetrically.
>>
>>3763140
>many people have small hands
Just bitches and genetic aberrations
>>
>>3763123
looks fucking retarded
>>
>>3766660
Makes sense, to be honest. One hand presses buttons, the other one focuses on the joystick. Just like with most controllers (even keyboards).
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.