[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phantasy Star Online General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 33

Lobby Warfare edition.

>What is Phantasy Star Online?
Phantasy Star Online is a Diablo-like RPG released on the PC, Dreamcast, and Gamecube, and Xbox in 2000. The game focuses on hack-and-slash combat unlike previous Phantasy Star games, and relies on teamwork & strategy.
Since then, Official servers have since been taken offline but there are fan made private servers running to this day.

>Where can I play?
https://ephinea.pioneer2.net
Ephinea is the best private server around for PSO as it provides a feeling as close as you can get to the original servers, while also adding new and unique features to the game. It's a great server for anyone, from hardcore Gamecube vets to people that only played the first Dreamcast version a bit. Head over to https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/what-ephinea-brings-to-the-table/ to see what Ephinea adds to the PSO experience.

https://sylverant.net/
Sylverant is the best server if you want to play the Dreamcast or Gamecube versions. You'll have to do some work to start playing on them, though. You can learn how to connect at https://sylverant.net/connecting-to-sylverant/.

>Beginner's guide to PSO
http://pastebin.com/VZpy4ZHH

Made by one of our anons. It gives a good breakdown of most parts of the game, from classes to how to deal with certain enemies.

>Is there is /vr/ PSO team?

Nope. If you want to play, just leave a message (preferably with your character's name in it) and someone from here should come.

>Useful links

>PSO Manual:
http://archives.dcemulation.org/www.psobb.com/www.psobb.com/downloads/manual.html

>Enemy list and stats
http://universps.online.fr/pso/bb/monstres/liste.php
Note that the Episode 2 enemy XP listed on this site is before Sega bumped up Episode 2 enemy XP.

>Maxing your character stats
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/ndws-guide-for-stat-maxing-characters.421/

>Misc guides for PSO:
http://www.pso-world.com/links-pso.php
>>
Other things I couldn't fit into the OP:

>Monster finding guide
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/monster-finding-guide-wip.361/

>Mag guide
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/basic-mag-information.1497/

>Enemy counts for fan-made Episode 2 and 4 quests on Ephinea:
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/girths-quests-enemy-counts.4186/

>PSO artbooks
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9y2vf0648gqol/Phantasy_Star_Online_-_Book_of_Hunters
http://vnsharing.site/forum/showthread.php?t=43564

Both of them have different content. One only has Episode 1 content, while the other cover Episodes 1 and 2. Get them both!
>>
I played through Phantasy Star on SMS with FM sound. Fantastic game, must-play SMS title for any /vr/ regular. Didn't like PSII or III very much so I dropped them about midway through each, and I'm really enjoying PSIV, more than the first. Next I'll do PSO.

Is "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus" an acceptable version of the game? I plan on playing it local co-op.
>>
>>3753181
They are not really connected, at all.
>>
>>3753181

PSO and post-PSO games have very little connections to PS1 through 4.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't play them.
>>
>>3753182
>>3753192
"Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus" is not a different version of Dreamcast PSO? So it is not an acceptable version then?
>>
>>3753245

No, we're saying that PSO is from a completely different continuity than the first 4 PS games are.

Ep 1 and 2 Plus is one of the best ways to play PSO.
>>
>>3753249
Oh yeah I knew that.
Thanks, I'll get that one then.
>>
>>3753276
The PLUS version includes code which makes connecting to private servers other than Sylverant less than straight-forward. So if you plan on eventually making your own server, connecting to any private servers other than Sylverant, or even just would like a secondary way to back up your characters and memory cards, then not-PLUS is a better option.

If you are emulating, probably disregard this. I play on real hardware and have no experience with that.
>>
>>3753468
How do you delete unwanted characters? I made some with my brother and now we want to start over, and I don't know how to delete hard drive save files on wii WBFS nintendon't
>>
>>3754691

The "remake" option when selecting a character is actually the character delete option.
>>
>>3754757
Nah that just transfers your male characters soul into a girls body so you can be a girl (male)
>>
>>3754760

Just like in my hentai douijins!
>>
>>3753181
>Is "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus" an acceptable version of the game?
If you insist on pplaying offline only that's your best choice, I suppose. You're missing content though.

> I plan on playing it local co-op.
If you got two computers (a toaster will do) I'd recommend just playing PSOBB on Ephinea. You can password protect your rooms if you want it to just be you and your mate.
>>
>>3754889
>You're missing content though.
Such as?
>>
>>3754889

>(a toaster will do)

I keep telling people i'm playing PSOBB on a computer that used to be a Russian Standard Vodka display. It's basically a giant tablet from 2009 that has a problem running Youtube videos without stutter. The game plays fine, but admittedly Episode IV starts to get a bit laggy for me, i guess it's all the animated backgrounds? Dunno, but if this were a car it would be a crank-start jalopy
>>
>>3754906
Too much to list. Online adds a lot of content for every version, even if you just host your own private server.

Truth be told, I would probably go back to playing BB on ephinea if it was possible to fix the terrible draw distance on that platform. As it stands though, I'll just keep playing on my Game Cube for now. The only thing I really miss about Episode 4 is the music anyway.
>>
Whats the first thing i should be doing as a level 1?

Heat sword and that first extermination mission is just a bunch of me running around in a circle with boomas, hoping no to get hit while i get the occasional smack in
>>
>>3755376
playing with others (getting carried through TTF)
collecting and selling EVERY fucking item you see
checking for armours with slots
feeding that mag pow stat

I have no idea why people solo this game at low level, I have twice seen people on twitch this week soloing lv 15~ fomar and hunter in caves with a handgun

AND MAN IT IS PAINFUL TO WATCH

like the worst player experience the game can offer is solo low level
>>
>>3755370
Any particular places where this is comparable you could point out?
I'd like to compare, not that I have GC
I'm sure there was a hack for camera and draw distance on v3 though
>>
>>3755384
>like the worst player experience the game can offer is solo low level

Only if you don't know all of the games' little quirks. It's actually a fun game to ironman, if you're into that sort of thing. But yeah, terrible for a newbie with no frame of reference.

>>3755390
Most obvious are Forest, Temple, CCA, and maybe Caves, too. But any area with large rooms which allow for a far line of sight will have things just like popping up out of nowhere in BB. It drives me nuts.
>>
>>3755376
>Go into a stage made for much higher levels to steal a gun and some stuff to sell for money without fighting anything.
>Then feed your Mag antidotes until you have enough ATA to equip it.
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-3.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-3.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3755551
Never played CG but from video comparison it doesnt seem so noticeable, maybe just because I never noticed, now I won't be able to unsee it I guess

Did find some super amazing panoramas while looking for draw distance comparisons

https://emergentlandscapes.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/phantasy-star-online-blue-burst-panorama-collection/
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-4.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-4.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
any idea how he did it?
the guys blog looks like he is some sort of crazy computer scientist media hacker
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-7.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-7.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-9.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-9.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-13.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-13.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-14.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-14.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: pso-bb-pano-17.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
pso-bb-pano-17.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>
>>3754906
Episode 4, sort of a third of the game. Sort of.
>>
>>3754919
>from 2009
Not that old, really. What are the specs on that weird thing and what OS does it run? If you're running too modern a version of Windows you might get better performance by 'downgrading' to XP.
>>
>>3755376
> as a level 1?
Start a solo mode room and do the tutorial quests. The quests in solo mode are different from normal mode, and playing solo mode means you get monsters balanced for one player, and less of them at that. You'll find it much easier to start with.

Once you've done at least the Battle Training and Magnitude of Metal solo quests just start playing normally in multi-mode.
>>
So which Ep.2 Central Control Area was the comfiest?
Jungle?
Mountain?
Seaside?
>>
>>3756945

Mountain. Seaside is good too, but playing Respective Tomorrow made me like it less because of all the repetitive Gee spam in RT's Seaside area.
>>
>>3755376
The solo quests are a good place to start and the story is actually pretty good.
>>
>>3753182
Kek
>>
Can we stop pretending that PSO was a good game already?
>>
>>3758451

Sure.
>>
File: garanteed.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
garanteed.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3758451
I was never pretending though :(
>>
>>3758498
>Grass Assassin
>Forest

Is that a screen from a demo or beta or something? Even though V1 basically was an open beta test.

Also, that feel when you've spent so much time playing in Ult that regular enemies now look unique.
>>
File: specs.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
specs.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3756410

That's what i'm working with, not bad, but the GFX driver and VRAm are literally just enough to run a five-minute quicktime video
>>
Sorry for double post but i wanted to adress >>3758451 this
I think it's a legitimately good and fun game. It's Diablo II in space don't be a dick

>>3756945 and this
Seaside!!
>>
>>3756945
The central control area itself, next to the swamp. It's picturesque and mysterious, that view you get right at the start.
>>
>>3758816
Certainly some pre-release version yeah. Makes sense for the grass assassin to be there, really. They're in grassy areas in previous games. I wonder why they were moved to the caves?
>>
>>3758959
I see you have themes disabled, guess you know the tricks to squeeze performance out of toasters. Guess there's not much you can do with hardware that's pretty much designed to be worse than stuff 5 years older than it. That's a shame.
>>
>>3758959
Ah, netbooks.
PSO seems to do really bad with GPUs that cant do decent vertex shading (read: Intel integrated). That in my experience is the real killer.
I have a sandy bridge laptop and even it's Intel GPU slows down a bit in Episode 2 and 4 dispite the CPU being overkill.

Hate to say you kinda need anything AMD or Nvidia even if it's a decade old.
>>
>>3759495
dgvoodoo2 can wrap old dx versions to dx11, which might change what the main bottleneck is. Last time I tried it with PSOBB, it needed mipmaps disabled to work though..
>>
>>3758451
Don't have to pretend, means it actually was a good game. If you don't like it why don't you fuck off out of the thread?
>>
>>3756945
Seaside is picturesque, but there's little else to it. Mountain is also visually appealing, but filled with annoyances like bushes which are a visual obstacle due to the slope (and also too many fuggin' apes). Jungle provides the most variation, and would probably be my favorite area of those 3, since it overlooks the Seaside and also includes things like the hollowed log, a hidden cave, and various grottos.

But it's hard to argue with >>3759004. Seeing those Towers in the distance, those platforms floating ominously in the lake feeding the dam, the fog and the glow of lights. CCA itself probably has the best atmosphere of any Episode II area.

Just overall such a damned fine piece of level design.
>>
RAcaseal > RAcast
>>
>>3761358
Now come on. I love robo maids too, but lets be honest with ourselves here.
>>
>>3761358
PSO2 player spotted
>>
>>3761370
>>3761371
Maid > robot
Android > human
>>
Starting fresh suuuuucks.
I always hate making my first mag on an account... only 142 levels to go.
Doing a 5/131/64/0 Sato for my Hucast
>>
Anyone got a completely transparent HUD?

wanna take some nice are shots without HUD

aparrently ul;tima supports /hud but ephinea we're at
>>
>>3761376
Turn it into a Rappy or one of the other "special" forms and the leveling becomes a LOT easier.
>>
>>3761358
seals are pretty but bulky casts are cute! cute!!
>>
>>3762914

What about short and bulky Casts?
>>
>>3762971
>tfw no shortstack android wife
>>
>>3762230
But the hardest part is always the leveling between level 35 and 50.
>>
>>3763018
Finally got over that hurdle, now at 80. God damn feeding it monomates at only +3 pow each was agonizing.
>>
Hot hot hot Mag raising tip: If you need Sol Atomizers, Star Atomizers and Monofluids or Monomoates, go to Phantasmal World 4 in Normal (so you can easily kill everything) and go up to the third floor in the first Tower. There's a medical vending machine to the right of where you enter the third floor that lets you buy any recovery item, but at inflated prices. It's how I do my mag raising once Monomates and Monofluids stop regularly appearing at the regular item store or I need atomizers to make leveing up not take forever.
>>
>>3763026
You're supposed to use that phase to build DEX. The only reason not to do so that I can think of is making a 187 MIND MAG. Are you shooting for a POW MAG instead?

Does anyone else use a POW MAG? I never tried one myself, preferring to use a 100/95 DEX/POW MAG for lowbies and a 50/145 DEX/POW MAG and a God/Arm or two as I progress further into Ult.
>>
>>3763731
POW is used for any sort of Cast, so no MIND stat for my hunky HuCast~ :3
Will end up being 5/133/62/0

To get the bursts I wanted I leveled pow, then dex, then pow, evolving each on a ranger. The only real painful part is the 35-50 stretch, which I still left a few levels of dex that I could squeeze in that range to make it /smoother/.
After that 50-100 is ez-pz. Turns in to a Sato on a female force at level 100 with 5/50/45/0 stats.
>>
>>3763018

This. I spent some time dedicated to raising mags recently, and levels 35 through 50 were so fucking slow compared to the other mag levels.
>>
>>3763972
>To get the bursts I wanted

Ah, forgot about that bit. Haven't made a MAG in a couple of years now. I derped.
>>
>>3764012
milla and yuella that give shifta deband is the only one that matters imo
>>
>>3764038
Its the only one that REALLY matters (especially for casts) but having the whale one that does damage in a stright line is pretty great it self when boosted or comboed. Can do a fuck load of damage.
>>
So after making improvements to V2 for over a fucking decade, Ives has moved on to V3 lately. I tested his latest patches on my xeno-modded NGC using a DVD-R backup with the newly patched files, and I can confirm that everything works perfectly on actual hardware. He has a lot of really cool planned new content in the works. Which is a strange dichotomy considering his purist stance, but shit! I ain't gonna complain!

If you play V3, you should check it out (http://psopalace.sylverant.net/), and maybe also hop on to his Sylverant server, Altimira to check out some of his quests and various additions (Super Hard Mode quest options and a new shop that uses Photon Crystals in Gallon's Shop). There's some neat stuff.

Bonus, we're usually on around 10pm - 3am EST, if you wanna get a run in or just hang in lobby and chat about nothing for 3 fucking hours like we did last night while Ives tested the GC draw distances for his latest patch. If no one is there, I usually pick some low-hanging fruit until others start to show up. There are usually more v1/v2 players though.
>>
>>3761358
lol
>>
>>3766793
homosexual detected
>>
>>3766793
Go try to play the Seabed stage with a low defense character and see what happens. Invisible enemies that can instant kill you that is.

But your probably one of those casual that only play episode 1 stages...
>>
>>3766814

Nigga all you need for Sinow Zoas and Zeles is Deband or Zalure, Don't need to roll a RAcaseal or other high-DEF character to stand a chance against them.

With Deband and Zalure 30 even my FOnewearl with a common 4-slot armor can take some hits from them instead of getting instalkilled
>>
haven't gotten to ep 4 yet, but what's the deal with episode 2 looking more pretty and detailed than episode 1? episode 2 is all bright and sharp while episode 1 is all muddy and blurry. stuff in episode 1 looks better and more detailed as you progress through the areas, too. like the mines and ruins actually look like they had a proper design concept to them and effort put into the textures, while caves and forest are just... lava and plants. it's like they kept getting better computers as they worked on the game. i know that the whole game as it is in Blue Burst did not come out at the same time but i'm curious as to what came out when
>>
>>3768401
Episode 2 was made for Gamecube and Xbox instead of Dreamcast.
>>
Oh man, why did I make a hunter first when restarting fresh.
Sure, I chose a cast so the freeze and confuse taps are extremely useful, but god damn I knew I should have gone ranger first. Its just plain smoother leveling with little gear.
>>
>>3769370
Playing a ranger is just boring hit-and-run fighting all day.
>>
>>3769376

In solo it is. In multiplayer you're the crowd-control expert with good single target capabilities, which is a lot more fun.
>>
>>3768406
ooohh shit i didn't know that Episode 2 wasn't on the Dreamcast
they should have remastered episode 1. it's especially jarring to switch episodes while playing on the gamecube and on a proper tv. they almost look like different games
>>
I feel like this question is probably odd for this thread, I'm a Phantasy Star fan (from MS/Genesis era specifically) but considering that I never played PSO... Is really worthy playing this game without any nostalgia factor from when it came out? It's a old MMORPG by now and I have my doubts if it aged well, isn't PSO2 ep4 better? I never played PSO2 too, but I heard that PSO1 fans generally dislike this one, is it just because the game isn't a 1:1 copy of PSO1 or because it really is a bad game? Comparing videos and screenshots I feel a bit more inclined to PSO2 to be honest.
>>
>>3770972
PSO2 is a button-mashing waifu-generator. PSU failed earlier for pretty much the same reasons. Not only that, but PSO has a classic feel due to some difficult, often so-called 'cheap' enemies and enemy abilities. You have to have more awareness of what is going on around you and (usually) cannot just spam the 'win' button.

It is also nice that the story in PSO takes a backseat to the gameplay. In PSU and PSO2, SEGA really forces this super lame, convoluted anime melodrama onto the player. As someone not really into that shtick, it quickly becomes unbearable.

I am not saying the newer games were not fun (for a little while). They can be, especially online with others. But the novelty wears thin quickly.

I also love the early PS series, and have played them all multiple times as a kid and adult. So when PSO hit DC, I snatched V1 and went to town. I can't give you an unbiased opinion because I've been playing this game on and off in some form for nearly two decades. It is still fun solo, and a fucking BLAST online.

Finished a (HUnl, HUnl, FOnl) 3p PW4 last night by the skin of our teeth because I accidentally finished off a Lily I should have left alive. It was madness of the most entertaining kind.
>>
>>3771223
Story mode barely even touches the gameplay parts of PSO2, so I'm not sure what's up with that. You experience a lot more cringeworthy writing when unlocking monster weapons and Soul Eater than when unlocking new areas in PSO2.
>>
File: serious damaged.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
serious damaged.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3770972
>Is really worthy playing this game without any nostalgia factor from when it came out?
I am also a fan of classic Phantasy Star from back in the day who never played PSO until recent years and I like it a lot. That ought to dispel the nostalgia myth.

> isn't PSO2 ep4 better?
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh make the hurting stop. :( PSO2 was a very different game from PSO but it was overall a good game dispite it's problems. Then episode 4 (and that bloody anime) happened. Don't even joke about ep 4 being better than anything. The current state of the Phantasy Star franchise makes me want to cry.
>>
>>3770972
PSO2's combat is far faster and far more engaging, but it really lacks in the challenge department. PSO is a bit stuff but the challenge and balance have yet to be surpassed.

Unlike wowshit and pedo-korean MMOs, neither PSO is bogged down with shitty crafting systems, fishing, skills, PvP, and other forms of faggotry that have been killing online RPGs for 20 years.

If you want a well balanced co-op challenging online RPG, play PSO. If you want a fun anime-as-fuck ass-kicking simulator, play PSO2.
>>
File: PSO2 PvP.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
PSO2 PvP.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3772218
>shitty crafting systems,
That's a thing, even if it became useless as quickly as it was introduced.
> fishing
I see you're fortunate enough not to have played recently. Arks super space military guys now go fishing in free fields instead of fighting monsters.
>PvP
Well, there's Arks Ball... and actual action based PvP coming very soon.
>other forms of faggotry that have been killing online RPGs for 20 years.
Waifu dressup crap has been there since open beta ended.
>>
>>3772243
Those are there but they don't bog the game down and are safely ignored.
>>
>>3772257
Rings are important equipment.
>>
>>3772257
Tell that to my single-classed Brave which I got bored of.
>>
>>3772261
I just cannot be arsed with that shit.
>>
>>3770972
Pic related...
Make the right choice.

At least play pso1 and experience the roots

pso2 is a good thing gone very wrong in the hands of idiots
>>
File: psoep4.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
psoep4.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3772737
>>3770972
Here is a true comparison.
>>
>>3772812
Fucking GG
the word select and symbol art fucking nailed it

you didnt include the part where she turns into the giant pervert centipede beast
>>
for debate: overwatch is to tf2 what pso2 is to pso1
>>
Never played Episode 2 only had Episode 1 for Dreamcast back in the day.
Was thinking about catching up on what I missed so is there a way to play the singleplayer of E2?
Playing on Ephinea here btw.
>>
>>3774679
Episode 2 had no dedicated single player quests. The entirety of its content is 4 free fields and four online quests. And BB's government quests, of course.
>>
>>3774684
It's got a couple, but they're just novelties.

>>3774679
Start an episode 2 room in solo mode if you want to see the few solo quests, or just want the 1-player balanced version of the levels.
>>
>>3774679

Start a Normal room and wait for someone to join. If they want to do "RT", tell them you want to explore the areas instead.
>>
Bump again.
>>
What is the melee weapon that will make me feel like a big guy
>>
>>3776349

Any Sword.
>>
>>3776349
Dark Flow
Double Cannon
Excalibur (woof woof)

Girasol is all class also?
>>
>>3776771

You forgot the Chain Sawd so you can purge the xenos scum on Ragol for the Emperor.
>>
which cast would you wife
>>
>>3777907
HUcast
>>
in my youth i would often play this late at night with the local r&b station running their late night chill/romance show in the background and it was !! the good shit
>>
>>3780024
nice!!
>>
What's the way to get top damage out of my HUcast?
>>
>>3780139

Make a Mag that's focused on POW. 140 or more POW should do the trick.

Get some God/Arms to max your ATA (two should be fine), then grab a Smarklink so your Charge Vulcans and high-end Diskas can hit Vol Opt, Dark Falz, the EP2 bosses, and the big critters in Episode 4.
>>
File: 1472214487971.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1472214487971.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>3780024
>r&b station
>>
DO any of you maniacs know how to set up an ad-hoc Hamachi network for PSP emulation? Is that possible? I'm playing PSP2 in addition to PSO, and it would be a lot of fun to try to play that with someone else if possible.
>>
>>3781273
ぁI used hamachi was like 10 years ago with n64 but it was prastetty streaight forward, install in both users pc, one hosts other adds IP, ad hoc magic, play game together?

dunno what emulator is good, or if psp2i or some version works best

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=13288&page=10

http://forums.ppsspp.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=34&page=6
>>
>>3781273
also apparently

RE: [Tutorial] How to use Hamachi
You don't need it anymore, PPSSPP has now a built-in ad hoc server, just go to the "Networking" settings
>>
File: 1481510808789.jpg (160KB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481510808789.jpg
160KB, 1000x720px
>>
>HUnewearl are cute as fuck
>They are the worst class gameplaywise
Why is this allowed?
>>
File: pso2expt.jpg (404KB, 602x1737px) Image search: [Google]
pso2expt.jpg
404KB, 602x1737px
>>3786932
What?
Gender and race literally have no difference in pso2, there are no penalties and barely any race benefits regarding stats.
Why? because of little girl simulator.
There would be outcry if the stats were balanced the same as huney vs hucast in pso2 as they should be

FO/TE is not support class at all, its broken OP press compound tech to win, how long was it until they changed shifta deband to more than 30 seconds for all ticks and it doesn't make a difference still.

Then you have meem of the month summoner, pls play our class we made it so OP so you do alan snackbar maron and 1hko torim plus it's zero risk class and can use techs so dont worry about needing a support class even though we got rid of them a long time back.

Whereas in PSO 4 player team such as 2HUcast 1RA and 1 FO complement eachother well, all have different ability and access to unique weapon sets and remember those things called special attack? oh yeah, pso2 just became a % modifier potential gg.

Aside the fact of weak bullet being ranger only there is no point in mixing up groups, everything is no threat meatbags that melts in seconds

PSO has game design
PSO2 has fashion design
>>
>>3786974
>FO/TE is not support class at all
So the class excels in eliminating enemies first. Now what about Te/Fo?

>how long was it until they changed shifta deband to more than 30 seconds for all ticks
A year, or two quests that required team coordination and where support techs proved useless.

>and it doesn't make a difference still
t. cancer of random matchmaking

>Then you have meem of the month summoner, pls play our class we made it so OP so you do alan snackbar maron and 1hko torim plus it's zero risk class and can use techs
Makes you wonder why such a broken casual class is as underused as Fighter and Gunner, then, despite solid performance in a variety of situations. Any ideas?

>and remember those things called special attack? oh yeah, pso2 just became a % modifier potential gg
You mean like Charge? The only potential that matters outside of game breaking pieces like Spread Needle? Or did you mean needing a separate button to do exactly the same thing your weapon normally does, but slower, with lower accuracy and with an added stock effect like health drain or kill chance, most being random on top of the ATA lottery?

>Whereas in PSO 4 player team such as 2HUcast 1RA and 1 FO complement eachother well, all have different ability and access to unique weapon sets
2 melee classes, 1 Ranger and 1 Techer also complement each other well. In addition to, you know, having different abilities and unique weapon sets. How do you think PSO2 is different here aside from emphasizing those differences more?

>Aside the fact of weak bullet being ranger only there is no point in mixing up groups, everything is no threat meatbags that melts in seconds
Everything melts all the same to 4 HUmars or HUcasts, and even if you pretend there is variety to PSO, M&Y does everything you need a Force for without wasting a party slot on a worthless player. What do you need a Ranger for, anyway? Frozen Queen or Spread Needle, when your killbot party already has 100 freeze traps?
>>
>>3786893
>HUnewearl
I want to believe you're the art fabulous from two posts above this so I can give an actually good answer? Be he you?
>>
lets post fanfictions
http://www.phantasy-star.net/fanfics/whitney/black.html
>>
File: PSO-0201-1280x800.jpg (343KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
PSO-0201-1280x800.jpg
343KB, 1280x800px
>>3789035
>>3790829
You cant even be bothered to attach a relevant game image to a bump or post anything to cultivate conversation or even a simple comment relevant to the game.
What is the point

>>3790890
May as well let the fucking thread die if we are just going to devolve into mindless vg tier ERP fantasy shit.

I'll try to save the thread.

>What are you currently hunting?

V101 and Limiters
0 success so far
>>
Heads up: Ephinea is going to have another double XP week. Perfect time to level up your alts.
>>
>>3791061
Didn't see anything about it on their front page, when is it?
>>
>>3791221
I think it activates automagically as a mile stone for kills more than last week

https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/kill-counters/

We're at 113% now

98% (732,124 kills) - Drop Anything Rate Up 25%
103% (769,477 kills) - Rare Enemy Appearance Up 25%
108% (806,830 kills) - Experience Multiplier +1x

And I think it lasts until sunday 00:00

Not 100% sure though, but gonna get me some TTF while the parties are good
>>
>>3791246
Just checked, its live now!
>>
>>3791246

It'll actually last until this time next week since we've gotten it again this week. You've got plenty of time to get the levels you want.

Also, the server is doing a mini Valentines Day event.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/valentines-day-party-event.5200/#post-51730

TLDR: Total item drop rates (rare and common) have been increased in PSO2 drop mode while the event is active. Good time to start snagging some rares once you got the levels you want.
>>
>>3787110

>Everything melts all the same to 4 HUmars or HUcasts, and even if you pretend there is variety to PSO, M&Y does everything you need a Force for without wasting a party slot on a worthless player. What do you need a Ranger for, anyway? Frozen Queen or Spread Needle, when your killbot party already has 100 freeze traps?

A maxed M&Y needs 4 people with 100% PB meter, and that isn't always going to happen. Plus, you need some sort of boost before you can get your 4-man M&Y, and a level 30 S&D from a FO works very well. And don't try and be a smartass and claim that an S-Red's Blade will work; there's a gulf of difference between an S-Red's Blade's level 3 S/D and a proper S/D from a Force.

There's also level 30 Zalure, which also has a very noticeable effect on your team's DPS, and that's something a mag will never be able to do. A HUmar's level 15 Zalure can help, but not as much as a level 30 from a Force would.

There's a reason why Time Attack teams (which are really high-level play) have a single Force with them, and it's because they help the team kill much faster than if you replaced her with another HUcast.

And of course, all of this is assuming a completely optimized team in a simple area, like Forest. For example, a RAmarl doesn't have the numbers behind her like a HUcast does, but one with a Frozen Shooter is very handy in Tower, where she can freeze Mericarols and Del Lillies before they can attack. A HUcast is simply risking too much to get close enough to freeze those enemies with a Freeze Trap. A human ranger can be a godsend in Episode 4 with an Arrest Needle and high hit Demon's Laser for Dorphons and Girtablulus, and so on and so on.

PSO isn't "HUcast or fuck off noob" because some classes and weapons will do better in certain areas than other classes and weapons will. A HUcast is a good baseline because of his very high ATP, but there are cases you'll need a more diverse party to tackle an area without any headaches.
>>
File: DELBITER-WITHBARS.jpg (60KB, 637x480px) Image search: [Google]
DELBITER-WITHBARS.jpg
60KB, 637x480px
BUMP
Did the server suddenly crash @ midnight for anyone else last night? Lost the first TTF on VH that i've been able to join in weeks
Also,
Post yr favorite bad guys!
>>
>>3793069

For more info, here's how the gal that runs time attack runs in Ephinea ranks the classes.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/character-tier-list.3832/page-4#post-39424
>>
>Going to level up a class so I can play Ult with her.
>Find friend in lobby.
>Want to play with him.
>Switch classes.
>We play.

I just want to level up some of my other characters.
>>
These HUcast gains are making me hard as fuck after playing HUmar. Once you go droid you never devoid
>>
>>3795035

A HUnewearl did an informal test with my HUcast. With both of us using Charge Vulcans, my level 105 HUcast was doing as much damage to the Sil Dragon's head as his level 150 HUnewearl was. That's how stronk HUcast can be.

However, you pay for it with terrible accuracy. Once you hit Ultimate, your accuracy goes to shit. High hit for guns, God/Arms, and a Smartlink are musts if you actually want to hit things. Better get ready to either grind Dubchics for God/Arms if your ID can get them or gamble for them at Coren's, or else you're going to be in a lot of trouble once you get past Ult Forest.
>>
>>3795095
If you plan to fight with Charge Vulcans then why not play a RAcast?
>>
>>3795101

Charge Vulcans are a fantastic weapon for single targets as a HUcast until you get stuff like the Black King Bar or Excalibur. It's my go-to weapon for bosses and big guys like Dorphons.

I also use it in Ultimate Mines because fuck trying to melee enemies in that area.
>>
>>3795095
What type of units do you rock with your HuCast?
I got SUPER lucky and came upon 2 god/arms before level 60. Is the +30 ata from these +31 from my mag good enough alone?
>>
>>3795215

That should be fine, but you might want to put a PD aside for a Smartlink if you're going to be using slicers or Charge Vulcans.

If you're on Ephinea, I can sell you one. I have a spare from Lame hunting I can part with.
>>
>Finally get to use Frozen Shooter and Demon's Laser.

How can one class has so much power at level 85?
>>
>>3796764
>didn't mention
Heaven striker
S rank demon mechs
S rank bezerk/ hell needle
spread needle general
excalibur

so much power?
more like so much FUN

welcome to the game ranger
>>
>>3796987

What about Demon's Needle if you're a RAmar or RAmarl?
>>
>>3796995
eh, not for me personally, I find either bringers rifle better because you're out of range or demon s rank mech as they hit like 5 times per action and you know that shit is going down

If you need crowd control spread needle seize is better, more likely to activate and I dont need a million types of needle clogging up my inventory

Thats just me though, hell needle is only really good for ep 2 also so that get left in the bank
>>
Generals belong on /vg/ ;^)
>>
>>3796998

If you're a RAmar I could see an Arrest Needle being better, for RAmarl isn't exactly rolling in ATP like the other Rangers are, even with Level 20 Shifta.

Demon's a group with a Demon's Needle to even the odds, then finish them off with a hit Charge Arms or Baranz Launcher. If you'r rolling in a group that has classes like HUcast, HUmar, RAcast, or FOnewm they can easily finish the group off after a good Demon'sing.
>>
>>3797016
>wanting another /acg/
>>
>>3797016
It's here because the general would die three posts in every time back when Ephinea was advertised daily.
>>
File: 1466445813881.png (990KB, 1019x765px) Image search: [Google]
1466445813881.png
990KB, 1019x765px
>mfw i see an s-rank demon's mechgun in action
>>
>>3798662
told ya!

I find it wonderful that this 1998 dreamcast promo video uses the same logo ring to denote the network capability and that same imagery appears in the logo and intro for PSO

Is there any lore to the ring and 3 dots? wasn't it 3 planets or something?

surley this video must have been produced by members of sonic team artists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzNiGDVcFA

24 mins
pso isnt in there at all!
>>
>>3799704
Probably. Palma, Motavia, and Dezolis are the three major planets of Phantasy Star and the destruction of Palma becomes a major plot point in 4.
>>
>>3799704
The three planets from original PS, the incantation Rico uncovers, three classes, three races...
>>
>>3799732

>Beating down enemies with an Excalibur, Black King Bar, Charge Vulcans, high level Megid, modded S-Rank Needle, or Baranz Launcher in front of Kireek.
>He still isn't impressed by your strength.
>>
What is the best quest, and why is it idling in the lobby?
>>
>>3800646
seat of your heart ofc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBOOFT0xmYY

also here is someone speed running ep 2 in almost under 1 hour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SGu57MhEZM
>>
>>3800812
He doesn't beat episode 2. He just kills the bosses by abusing lots of glitches without even finishing a single quest.
>>
>>3800818
...Any%
>>
>>3800819
I can beat it any% in a minute.
Just create a character and close the game claiming you're done.
>>
>>3800820
Think you're pretty smart don't you?
Well, you need to defeat the final boss of the episode to clear the game, which he does, also clears every area and boss along the way.

So why don't you take your claims and any% this thread by closing it.
>>
>>3800646

I like the slaughterfest maps, like Tyrell's Ego, Lost Son Hopkins, Ep1 MA4, and Lost Soul Blade.
>>
File: pso01.jpg (129KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pso01.jpg
129KB, 800x600px
Diggining up some history here

The historical cheat record between versions
http://www.geocities.jp/pso_box/sonic.html

V2 PC public beta test in Japan with screenshots
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20011123/psob.htm

Differences between PSO v1 network trial edition beta and v1 release
http://psopalace.forumotion.com/t689-phantasy-star-online-network-trial-edition

A fucking gold mine of nostalgia and feels out there reading all these old BBS comments ;w;

https://web.archive.org/web/20070706230919/http://pso.dricas.ne.jp/bbs/p/pso/1/index.html
>>
>>3800812
I never beat Flowens first form...
>>
File: 2017-02-16 21.jpg (54KB, 643x484px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-16 21.jpg
54KB, 643x484px
busy for a thursday night boiz
>>
>>3803243
>nostlagia

Hey man how did you find this stuff? I want to look for sites and old magazine info about PSO before it was released but all i find is typical google bullshit. I'm writing a book about this subject, and i would love to find some deep dirt about this game in particular.
>>
File: ME0000003145_2.jpg (54KB, 640x453px) Image search: [Google]
ME0000003145_2.jpg
54KB, 640x453px
>>3805114
the trouble is that PSO2 completely destroyed google search results, so any news or such that was found after 2010 is basically lost

all about the google search tools and search from 1999 -2001 GC v3 came out in 2002 and contains alot of results if you include years after that

I fortunately know Japanese so there is more early stuff to read about, if I find really interesting stuff I'll post if for you but make sure to search the Japanese sites, BBS, 2ch ect

but unfortunalty alot of the net content has been lost to time, if its not on archive.org, which alot of the time didn't cache the pictures :( or stuff like IRC channels or BBS boards that are just gone

the NTE is the most legit beta content there is right now, for in depth speak to Ives or bluecrab they will be the most knowledgeable about it, I already posted the link to pso palace about differences

this is TCRF thread where the rom was discussed,
http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=18112

also someone briefly looked at the v1 files here, http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=18112

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1036290

Would love to have a comprehensive book compiled about the history and subject of PSO <3

I got some pictures ill drop in imgur and reverse search the site i ofund them as I cant rember
>>
File: 12.jpg (3MB, 3872x3240px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
3MB, 3872x3240px
>>3805114
https://imgur.com/a/LJDO9

oh yeah, nice little honey pot

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/11/pso-concept-beta/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z299PI3ECtU

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/basement/ga-archive/new-pso-screens_09-01-00-pg1.htm

https://www.famitsu.com/game/pr/2000/12/11/pso_a.html

I'm tearing up here, can't go on
do your best man, I want the book
>>
>>3805114
this advert also contains a server called Merlort:TestSite:01-01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQavMQ8-bvQ
>>
>>3805114
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaOW5V4lA8
>>
We've hit another double XP week on Ephinea, so you have another week to get lots of levels for your characters.
>>
>>3805861
This weekend?
I'm going to go grind some levels then.
>>
>>3805960

You have until Friday of next week for more double XP.
>>
>Kill enemy that has a drop you want.
>He drops a red box.
>It's a Photon Drop.
>>
My banks has so much shit in them I think I may have to make a dummy player just to make some room with.
>>
>>3809384
Great to see you guys are still at it, I really thought you'd all lose interest after a month or so. Downloading the PC version atm, might roll a Hucaseal with slicers since I've always wanted to try that.

Does Ephinea have any custom quests or events? I love BB a ton but it would be nice to tackle some fresh content.
>>
>>3810387

Ephinea has a full set of custom retrieval and Mop-Up Operation quests for Episode 2, Endless Nightmare quests for Episode 2's VR areas, and two retrieval quests for Episode 4. There's also several classic custom quests, like Random Attack Xrd and Tyrell's Last Hope.
>>
File: jebsdream.png (530KB, 790x534px) Image search: [Google]
jebsdream.png
530KB, 790x534px
>Playing low-level RAmarl in Ultimate Ep4 team.
>Despite being weak as shit, I can kill Zus and put a huge dent in Dorphons and Astarks with a simple Demon's Laser.
>mfw I realize the power I have.
>>
I've played this game quite a lot over the years but never really made it to the super high levels, can anyone tell me what changes on the highest difficulty?

I mean, do enemies just get more HP\Attack or do they actually have different attack patterns. I recall the flowers in caves using the instant death spell rather than poison but that's about it.
>>
>>3805861
thanks man
>>
>>3811298

Some enemies get new attacks or other abilities in Ult, but many of them get just stat boosts.

Most notable are the Lilies, which spew Megid, an instant death technique, Sorcerers now use Grants (the light beam from above that does a lot of damage) or a very powerful Megid to wreck you, Gillchics (the human robots) are much less prone to being knocked down after an attack, and Belras (the large, glowing statue guys in the last area) will quickly rapid-fire their arms with no cooldown.
>>
I've never really played PSO:BB, I tried it out with you guys years ago but everyone was pretty gung-ho on getting to max level as fast as possible.

Would anyone be willing to run some low level quests with me if I downloaded this again? I get that they're probably boring for you guys but I want to try all the quests out at least once before I grind the same boss rush a million times.
>>
Are there any weapons that intentionally lower your accuracy in order to gain some kind of bonus? Either a rare weapon or a weapon keyword\enchantment.
>>
>>3812037

Not in the traditional sense, but Dark Flow, Frozen Shooter, Snow Queen, and Dark Meteor's special attack are based on hard, not normal, attack accuracy, making them less likely to hit.

>>3811742

Hop onto Ephinea and start a Normal game. Someone should come over to help.
>>
Is it possible to play on Ephinea with a gamecube controller?
>>
>>3812551
If you have a Gamecube to USB adapter, sure. I used to use one but my controller broke, actually slumming it with a keyboard nowadays.
>>
>>3811298
Something that I've noticed but never seen mentioned is that even in Hard and Very Hard monsters will move and attack faster than on Normal. So every difficulty has slight differences beyond stat buffing.

I've never made it to Ultimate either.
>>
>Join Ultimate Episode 4 game.
>I'm 50 levels above the rest of the team.
>Think it's going to be a simple babysitting job with nothing special.
>We go through all of Ep 4.
>Team is surprisingly competent.
>Walk out with multiple Photon Drops, a Glide Divine, a Yasminkov 9000M, and a very grateful team.
>>
>>3813375
Is there really anyone still playing this game that isn't a veteran of 10+ years? It'd be a superhuman feat to play for that long and still be bad at such a simple game.
>>
>>3813393

You'd be surprised how many people on Ephinea aren't l33t veterans. Anyone that's level 120 or under and isn't twinked to hell usually hasn't played it since the GC or the official Blue Burst servers.

Once you start playing with people in the level 160 or higher range or start playing in reserved Ultimate games, you'll start meeting the hardcore veterans and/or the people that quickly adapted to the established meta (like me).
>>
Does Ephinea have access to all the Japanese content that Schthack had? I just started a solo game and only had access to about 8 quests, I'm guessing I have to unlock the others somehow?
>>
>>3814198

Online has the Japanese quests you're thinking of.
>>
>>3814207

By online, I mean "Normal".
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkkHVl8QvE
>>
>>3813393
I play on and off. Never played on anything but private servers and maybe 10 hours of Dreamcast ver. 1. All since the release of PSO2. I've encountered other noobs, too.
>>
Why are pubs so awful at dealing with Deldepths? I had to tell them to use their fucking Freeze Traps on the stupid things, and even then the only Cast on the team preferred staring into space while a Deldepth was roaming several rooms after finding the first one.
>>
>>3814442
>fucking around in the middle of the night
>Suddenly remember the existence of this
>hahah i should post this in the thread--
>it's already there
PSYCHIC
>>
I seem to be having a really hard time getting a controller to work with this game. Anyone know what the fuck I should do?
>>
>>3815249
Try going to control panel > devices&printers > right click your controller > Game controller settings > advanced

Make sure your controller of choice is set as the default.

Alternately if your buttons get recognised but your d-pad won't then go to properties and change your d-pad to use POV hat.

Those are some common fixes I've used in the past. If that doesn't solve it can you tell me a bit more about how it doesn't work and what kind of controller you have.
>>
>>3815267
Yeah tried all that. Maybe it's because I'm on Windows 10? Fucking hate this OS.
>>
>>3815267
Yeah tried all that. Maybe it's because I'm on Windows 10? Fucking hate this OS
>>
>>3815286
No, it works fine with controllers for me with windows 10. You need to make sure your controller supports directinput instead of just xinput.
>>
>>3815073
PSO is a trolling master-class, and pubbies are the same no matter the game. They are always shit, and they will always ruin your good time.
>>
gib red boxes
>>
File: psobb_manual-page-007.jpg (268KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
psobb_manual-page-007.jpg
268KB, 1650x1275px
>>3815286
what controller?
obvs xbox is reccomended, have to mapped the inputs custom in game options?
just use joy2key or xpadder if all else fails
>>
File: psobb_manual-page-006.jpg (410KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
psobb_manual-page-006.jpg
410KB, 1650x1275px
>>3815286
>>
>>3815319
I figured out the issue the Xbox 360 controller I'm using works fine now but I can't get the game to recognize the triggers. Any advice?
>>
>>3817130
i dont think they can be mapped as they are pressure triggers not on off button, re map in the options, but if it doesnt see the input you have to use j2k or xpaddr
>>
>>3815749

No kidding. I was doing Ultimate Seabed a few days ago and we had a HUcast that blew Freeze Traps on trash Dolmolm groups instead of keeping them for enemies like Delbiters, refused to refresh his Freeze Traps after he was out of them, and kept confusing enemies after they were frozen.
>>
>tfw you finally get a good Spread Needle and have a Ranger that can use it.
>>
>>3817132
So turns out I didn't even need joytokey I had DS4 to Xbox 360 running and when I turned that off and just plugged it into my computer normally it recognized everything and PSO BB treats the triggers as buttons.
>>
Ephinea has gained yet another week of double XP.
>>
Most fun to least fun class types:

Ranger - Access to all sorts of fun and effective weapons, like the Spread Needle, Frozen Shooter, and Yas 9ks. High accuracy means your attacks will hit a lot more than a Hunter's will.
Force - Help the team with buffs, debuffs, and healing, then start nuking everything with techniques of your choice. Got a lot of ways to have fun, but not as much as Rangers.
Hunters - Only fun as HUcast or HUcaseal. Shit otherwise.
>>
>>3823951
Thanks for your opinions bro!
>>
>>3824241

No problem senpai.
>>
Last second bump!
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.