[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Collectors: What is your emergency plan in the case of a fire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 09-house-fire.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
09-house-fire.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
Collectors: What is your emergency plan in the case of a fire (or some natural disaster)?

I keep most of my disc games in booklets, which I could toss out of a window or something if there's a fire, but carts are in rubbermaid bins which are fucked. Thinking about storing them in suitcases I can grab and go.

Everything else in my house can burn.
>>
>>3752589
I have bigger problems than my game collection burning up if my house goes on fire. I have stuff that's way higher priority to get out than my video games

Everything I have is documented so I present that to the insurance company and they give me the replacement value, then I spend it on ebay and get all my stuff back, and probably cull some stuff I don't want.
>>
>>3752596
Do insurance companies respect the "collector's market value" of a game? I would have thought they'd laugh at the idea of your 25 year old disc being worth $300 and tell you to kick rocks.
>>
Buy three copies of everything. One offsite, one to use, and one solely as backup.
Or if you're cheap, keep the collection offsite and emulate at home.
>>
>>3752589
I'm going to assume nothing bad will happen to me ever, and leave it at that.
>>
>>3752602
Why would you assume this?

Its the insurance agents job to research the value of items lost. If you're paying extra insurance for your possessions in case of fire you bet your ass they're reimbursing you what the actual items value are.

I have a spreadsheet with the estimated value of everything and I'd present it to the insurance agent. Then he'd go and do his own independent research and give me probably damn close to what I estimate if not higher if the prices on things rose.
>>
>>3752609
Any time I've dealt with an insurance company (Mostly auto) they have fought to give the least amount of money for compensating damage. I'd assume it would be a no-brainer to tell you your kid's games aren't worth shit.
>>
>>3752609
>>3752614
Btw thanks for the advice. I catalog my games but not the current value, I'll have to start doing that.
>>
File: wojak never.jpg (38KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
wojak never.jpg
38KB, 393x393px
>>3752589
>Collectors: What is your emergency plan in the case of a fire (or some natural disaster)?
>>
>>3752589
guess we would be screwed!
>>
File: 51S2Ih4wdnL.jpg (46KB, 305x500px) Image search: [Google]
51S2Ih4wdnL.jpg
46KB, 305x500px
>>3752589
My current plan is to store things in metal tins more.

As I've been looking to store books.

Damnit, I wish games came in metal tins! That would justify distributing the games in bigass boxes, and make keeping the boxes/tins a totally proper course of action!
>>
>>3752609
Kek, I can just imagine you going to your agent after your house burns down
>but I paid $2000 for this Little Samson
>oh why didn't you say so anon, here's a check for $3000 for your child's interactive toy from the 1980s
You're delusional if you think you're getting collectors' value back. You're the equivalent of guys who sell rusted skeletons of 1968 Mustangs and expect $5000
>>
>>3752831
Nah, you show him ebay sold listings.

Insurance Companies are actually pretty fucking good about paying you what stuff is worth.

It's all "things". If you had a painting worth 100,000 and it was just a spattering of red on canvas and you can prove you paid 100k for it you'd get that back if you paid proper insurance.
>>
What's your emergency plan for when a nuke hits your fucking house and ends civilization? Obviously, you don't have one for that.
>>
>>3752845
Ahh, but I do! See, I will act when the FIRST nuke hits any house or mall, parliament building, library or college. Then, I will go to the campground, rainforest, or bullfighting convention most popular with green parties, brawling collectives and amish, hindu, islamic and wiccan groups, pull out my streetsweeper, plasma rifle and belt fed magnum handgun and shoot every motherfucker in sight there!

Checkmate, nukefags!
>>
File: Bn1Dm.jpg (79KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bn1Dm.jpg
79KB, 1024x768px
>>3752589
Seal your games in a protective case.
>>
>>3752589
Not worry about it because if my entire fucking house was gone I'd be having bigger problems than my video games being destroyed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.