[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal stories thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: deb215_5534920.jpg (72KB, 894x598px) Image search: [Google]
deb215_5534920.jpg
72KB, 894x598px
Haven't seen any threads about people's personal stories related to video games. Would be interesting to read them.

I wish I could deliver, but alas I'm not from US and I didn't have that big of exposure to vidya as a kid. That said…

>be 8-year-old me
>get a Mega Drive password/walkthrough book
>they have a Phantasy Star II walkthrough
>actually reads kinda like a story
>suddenly get hooked on reading it
>Nei gets killed
>feels sad man

>another one is for Golden Axe III
>really want to play it
>get it, turn it on. it gets stuck on some message on the screen
>me and my friend try to understand American letters
>brainstorming intensifies
>friend tells me: "maybe we have to turn it on with the lights switched off"
>wat
>it doesn't work, obviously
>ask mom because she has a coworker who had Sega too
>he tells that you'd need Megakey for that game and he has one lying around somewhere
>whoo boy, I'm all excited
>he promises it for 3 months, eventually mom starts to get pissed when I ask about it
>I give up and ask parents to buy it
>was worth it, Golden Axe 3 still the favorite beat em up today
>>
File: Screenshot_20170120-220420.png (74KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170120-220420.png
74KB, 768x1024px
>be me.
>about 8 years old.
>slightly older friend shows me final fantasy on NES.
>let's me borrow it.
>make new game.
>4 red mages because they look cool.
>overwrite his saved game.
>gets mad at me for it.
>wtf? I didn't know what I was doing.
>became rpg Bros nonetheless.

I've beaten that game probably 25 times now. But never with 4 RWs. I think I'll start a new game. Pic related.

Also apparently I had a ban for posting a get thread asking yall to pick my ff1 party!
>>
File: 12-Phantasy-Star-4030.jpg (38KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
12-Phantasy-Star-4030.jpg
38KB, 448x336px
>>3750958
>>overwrite his saved game.

true fact. My kid brother learned to read by watching me play PS4
>>
>be me, have N64
>parents divorce, mom gets me and sisters, I bring my N64 with me while we move in with grandparents
>grandparents house has uncles N64 and a copy of Shadows of the Empire
>grandparents confiscate Shadows of the Empire from me because it's rated T and I'm 9 at the time (they didn't confiscate Goldeneye, the hypocrites)

continuation
>mom says I can move in with dad when next school year (he took me to Hooters for my 10th birthday)
>I bring my N64 with me and all my favorite games
>sister has grandparents N64 and all the games I didn't want
>sister plays nothing Diddy Kong Racing and Star Wars Podracer for years
>is better than me at racing games because of this
>>
>>3750983
>Also apparently I had a ban for posting a get thread asking yall to pick my ff1 party!

Apparently? Get threads are cancer, manchild.
>>
>>3750983
>Also apparently I had a ban for posting a get thread asking yall to pick my ff1 party!
global rule 3

get threads are banned off /b/
>>
File: covercardcapcom.jpg (90KB, 260x300px) Image search: [Google]
covercardcapcom.jpg
90KB, 260x300px
>9 year old
>Pokemon is the biggest shit since TV
>ask mom for a GameBoyColor and Pokemon Gold
>she says yes but on my birthday which is a week away
>birthday comes
>go to a game store at a mall
>they say they where sold out on GameBoy and Pokemon games
>about to cry
>mom looks at me and ask the employees at the store for something similar
>they show the NeoGeoPocketColor with a game
>mom buy it
>i was sad so i didn't give a fuck
>go to McDonald's
>open the bag to see the game
>it was SNK Vs Capcom - Card Fighters Clash - Capcom Version
>fucking Ryu from Street Fighter was on the cover
>get home around 5 pm
>don't stop playing until 11 pm
>next day it was Saturday
>mfw
One of the best birthdays ever.
>>
>>3750958
>not from US
>had a MD at 8
If you're from Brazil that could have been last week

My story
>8 years old
>2600 is released
>can count playable games on one hand
>stick to the arcades
>>
>>3751181
Reminds me of my story. I got a neogeo pocket color from my mom for Christmas and I was pretty fucking disappointed even though I wanted one, I really wanted the GBC as well. Ended up getting the Pikachu Edition GBC with Pokemon Yellow from a grandma and I felt like such a bitch, cause obviously my mom knew I was getting it.

That year there was an earthquake in Japan and there were serious shortages of GBCs in general. Knew that because I called Nintendo and asked why they were so fucking hard to find.
>>
File: 1400883870710.jpg (251KB, 700x808px) Image search: [Google]
1400883870710.jpg
251KB, 700x808px
My mum told me this one, my dad hates vidya a lot, he thinks it's a waste of time, but this is the worst I can think of.

>Be somewhat young
>Have 2 brothers older than me
>They get a Mega Drive for Christmas about a year before the saturn because my mum bought it for them
>Dad doesn't give a shit about vidya
>Next Christmas
>Mum buys a Saturn and puts it away for Christmas
>Christmas eve
>We're all asleep
>Dad has gone to the airport to say goodbye to relatives etc.
>She sets out everything during the night
>Can't find the Saturn
>Looks all over the house
>Dad comes home
>Mum asked him has he seen the saturn
>"Oh yeah, the kids already had one so I gave it to our relatives who were leaving at the airport"

At least he didn't throw give away the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3751038
>he took me to Hooters for my 10th birthday
Do they even allow this?…

>>3751181
This game is a true gem. Even if you know shit about SNK and Capcom
>>
>>3751672
>>3751621
Looking back, it's sometimes hard to believe for me how several hundred bucks worth of electronics or adults' "lol is that another Nintendo?" could potentially destroy my life for years to come—poisoning my every day with guilt, weight of the shattered expectations and silent desperation alternating with rage.

And at the same time, the same hundred bucks worth of vidya could just blow my mind, making me spend hours in ecstasy, completely unaware of the world around, pausing just to realize it's night already and I had to go to sleep 2 hours ago.
>>
>be '97
>first apartment
>have street fighter 2 arcade cabinet
>watch naked girls on ecstasy play vs mode
>>
>>3752626
babbage gramps?
>>
>>3751672
Sometimes I don't get how peoples parents can be so out to lunch.

Maybe I just have amazing parents, but my dad apparently did a 8 hour round trip to get me and my brother Power Rangers toys for Christmas.

The white briachiosaurus titanus, and tommy's green dragonzord.

I had no idea until we talked about it last Christmas how everything is so easy now with Amazon Wishlists.
>>
>>3751125

How is that a get thread?
>>
>>3750958
Not him
>>
>>3751672
>uncle I only see once or twice per year wins £500 on a scratch card or lotto tick or something
>gives me his kids SNES without telling them
>never mind this was 94 or 95 and he just gave me like £300+ worth of stuff
>I barely even know the man

Real mixed bag of games. Pit Fighter, Shaq-fucking-fu, Super Tennis, some Majesco developed side scrolling beat em up, Top Gear (that fucking OST, hnnng), Uniracers or rally, some fifa game, Street Racer and F-Zero. Probably forgetting a few. No Mario, had to get that myself but my mum bless her thought she'd snagged a Mario game for cheap at a thrift shop but it was that Mario All-Stars VHS promotional tape that had tips, reviews and the dude from Red Dwarf lol.
>>
>>3750983
That reminds me

>be 13 years old
>PS2 is just out
>friend has one
>Sony was doing that weird shit where their PS2 memory cards had some authenticated DRM shit to stop third parties
>I think Mad Catz was the only company that bought a proper licence
>anyway my mate had some unlicensed third party memory card
>had to put minidisc in there on start-up just to make it work
>I fuck up trying to use it while he's downstairs
>it wipes all his shit
>we end up spending the weekend smashing through GTAIII and re-unlocking/upgrading shit in SSX, DoA2 and Timesplitters
>10/10 would delete again
>>
>>3750958
>5th grade or so
>1989 or so
>Cambodian boat-person immigrant comes to school
>enters 6th grade
>he's 32 years old
>wears the uniform of a Vietcong regular
>stands alone at recess
>one day he has the new Game Boy
>stands by the swings playing
>every day
>I must see this new technology
>he hasn't beaten World 1 in Mario Land in days
>endless struggle
>can't see the rest of the game
>must intervene
>tell him to go under the boss
>GO UNDAH HIM?
>his eyes are wild
>looks like he's about to Kung Fu me
>later in line to re-enter school
>friend is jealous that this Gook has threatened his homosexual love for me
>taps Gook on shoulder
>NOBODY TOUCHES ME
>I TEACH YOU A LESSON IF YOU WAN
>IN THE WOOD
>AFTER SCHOO
>I just wanted to watch Game Boy
>>
>>3752846
is this some sort of reference or something
>>
>>3752641
When I was growing up my parents allowed me to play vidya only for an hour a day. They always said it was because it would worsen vision; but my mother and her mother had bad myopia (she saw almost nothing without her glasses), and before I got my first console my vision had already started to deteriorate.

The real reason was different. My dad was very stingy and distrustful, and he was of an opinion that indulging kids was a complete no-no, and the worse they had it, the better children they would be. And my mom was pretty sure that kids' sole purpose in life was learning. Both absolutely hated video games as a pointless silly nonsense, unproductive stuff which made the grades slip and made kids unfit.

They made fun out of me every time they saw me playing, and my dad even said on numerous occasions that he thought "video games made me dumb". In the end I simply started avoiding them when I turned on my console. Thank god for portables and backlit screens.
>>
>>3752951
>the worse they had it, the better children they would be

Pretty true desu spoiled kids are fucking terrible, but I dont think a few games a year would hurt anyone.
>>
>>3750958
Screw that pixels crap
>>
>>3750958
>1st or 2nd grade
>Buddy of mine wanted to have a sleepover at his house. His older brother would bring a friend as well.
>Two brothers fell asleep really early, leaving me with some kid a year old than me with nothing to do.
>Played Mr. Do on their Colecovision
>I 1cc that game all night long until way early in the morning.
>That other kid was so impressed he took the cartridge out of the console and used a pen to write my insane high score on the front of it.
>He was a little timid to be around me from then on because he couldn't figure out what type of human computer hybrid could pull that level of play off.
Good times.
>>
>never had a handheld before
>didn't want the game boy because it was black and white
>see game gear, see it has a fucking TV sintonizer and SONIC
>get GG with sonic chaos and donald deep duck trouble
>bring GG to school, try to play it at recess
>kids flock to my like hungry birds and try to get a sneak peak at the screen (which obviously couldn't be seen unless they had it right in front of them) and shouting, begging me to let them try it.
>panic, turn it off, hide.
>later that day, at swimming class
>can't remember why, I couldn't enter the pool
>spent the whole hour of class playing Sonic Chaos by the pool, first time I actually make it to the final boss, about to beat it
>batteries go off
>to this day I never beaten the game, haven't tried much either
>never got the TV sintonizer

>some time later, vacationing in Florida with parents. They offer to buy me something at an electronic store. I saw a Game Boy for cheap and picked that with Mortal Kombat II (I knew the GG version would be better, and I had it on Genesis, but I was a dumb mortal komatfag as a kid).
>at the hotel room, playing MKII on game boy, realizing how shitty it is compared to the arcade or 16-bit version, but also sorta enjoy playing it, gameplay is mostly legit.
>Suddenly I feel the bed is shaking
>my dad is lying and I tell him to stop moving
>at the same time he tells me to stop moving
>look at the walls
>everything is swinging from side to side
>we panic
>go downstairs
>everyone is chilling, "oh it's just a little earthshake, happens very often here"
>>
File: 1419267376485.jpg (41KB, 616x462px) Image search: [Google]
1419267376485.jpg
41KB, 616x462px
>>3752641

He's just always been like that. He always hated Christmas, and my mother would be the one who would go and get things in ridiculous amounts. She went great lengths to get many toys, consoles and handhelds to the point that she would usually be the first or last person to get a toy and people would actually offer her a lot of money for it, £1000 once.

Reading about stuff in newspapers helped in the long run, she knew about Pokémon when it came out in Japan in 1996 apparently.

>>3752820

>Mario All-Stars VHS promotional tape that had tips, reviews and the dude from Red Dwarf lol.

Yo, I fucking had that VHS lol. It was pretty cool to watch and since I was young at the time, I didn't actually know if that was Craig Charles or not. It's funny I had LTTP on GBA but even I wished I had it on SNES just because he was talking about it in the video.

Incidentally, my granddad would give my brothers and I £50 every Birthday and Christmas despite living halfway across the world.
>>
>>3753671
>Reading about stuff in newspapers helped in the long run, she knew about Pokémon when it came out in Japan in 1996 apparently.

I remember reading about Pokemon in a newspaper in 1996 or 97, it was when the Polygon episode incident happened, it was worldwide news.
I also remember reading about "Pocket Monsters" on a 1997 magazine and calling up video game stores asking if they had this game (imported from Japan, as at the time there were no announcements of localization), they all had no idea what Pokemon was.
>>
>>3751864
>Do they even allow this?…
I could say yes but I might be lying. The only way to know for sure is to wait until you're 10 and give it a try.

To give you a sneak preview, Hooters isn't a strip joint or something, it's a restaurant. The food and prices range from pretty good to excellent. Places in the south can even exceed that on both counts. I've rarely had any complaints with service and it's a kid friendly place. I took my oldest daughter to one when we were in Florida for her second birthday. That's where she fell in love with king crab. Not the snow crab shit they serve now. In 98 they had the real deal.

After that we went to LA to meet up with my mate and his wife and see his new kid Milo. Milo was a bit young to hit the lanes at that point, but /vr/ related.
>>
Russian story
>Be 5 or so
>Ask parents for Dendy
>Nope
>Keep asking for carts because I'm sure that one day we'll have Dendy
>Mom gets sick of it
>Says she bought some carts to me
>Woohoo boy
>Wait, what the fuck is this
>A deck of "cards" with pictures you could color
>Fuck you too mom

>Be 6 or so
>No Dendy
>Mom takes me to a shitty Russian resort
>Hey, they have kiosk-type places where you can pay to play Dendy for some time
>Barely get 30 minutes or so, thanks mom
>One game is Terminator 2. I die all the time
>The other one is Duck Hunt. I kinda suck at it but it's more fun and I kinda like aiming
>The dude who runs the place gets annoyed about me for some reason and says "look how it's done"
>Puts the zapper point blank to TV and shoots the ducks
>What's the fucking point
>See some guy is playing a veeery weird game
>White headed guy walks on huge tubes (it sounds like Mario but it's not). He goes down some of them. Sometimes he dies when he does this
>That's literally it
>I think this was the most retarded game I've seen

>Be 8
>Get Mega Drive
>First cart is Earthworm Jim 2
>Fuck Puppy Love, I need cheats
>Get password book, open up the page with EWJ
>"Press reset once to play Battletoads. Press reset again for Streets of Rage"
>You wot
>Try it
>It works
>Thank god for pirate bootlegs.
>>
File: 1467578345.jpg (22KB, 241x282px) Image search: [Google]
1467578345.jpg
22KB, 241x282px
I wonder if that anon who shared the story about being in an arcade with his older brother, and kept mistaking a stranger for his bro is around? That story was funny. Please share again
>>
File: 1483932758449-v.jpg (27KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1483932758449-v.jpg
27KB, 800x733px
>>3754093
NOT RETRO
>>
>>3754119
in a few years it will be
>>
>>3754269
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier
>>
>>3754269

No he means you anon, you're 16
>>
>>3752626
were they on ecstasy as well?
how were they able to play?
i wasn't even able to play mario properly when i tried it.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.