[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>valve removed the perfectly fine D3D renderer and replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg (161KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg
161KB, 300x361px
>valve removed the perfectly fine D3D renderer and replaced it with a fucked up OpenGL renderer that causes you to get stuck on elevators and floors all the time
What the fuck? Should I stick with software mode or try to find a copy of the WON edition so I can actually play through the games again?
>>
File: Untitled.png (56KB, 823x714px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
56KB, 823x714px
Hmm?
>>
>>3750883
I'm currently getting this glitch on all elevators and it seems like the way to fix it was removed by Valve on the Steam version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCzE2S_z0Y
>>
File: Untitled2.png (60KB, 823x714px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
60KB, 823x714px
>>
>>3750887

add -console to the command line

press ` to enter console

sv_cheats 1

noclip
>>
I. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
=======================

Minimum System:
Pentium 133mhz, 24MB RAM
SVGA, high-color (16-bit)
2x CD-ROM drive
200 MB HD space
Win-compatible soundcard
Mouse, keyboard
Half-Life installed

Recommended System:
Pentium 166+, 32+ MB RAM
3D accelerator card (Open GL or Direct 3D)

Internet/Multiplayer Requirements:
32-bit Internet service provider with
28.8+ modem or Local Area Network

This game has been fully tested with Intel and AMD based computers including the AMD Athlon microprocessor.
>>
>>3750895
I know how to use a console but that's just a band-aid fix.
>>
>>3750873
Is that problem really caused by the GL renderer? I do remember that problem from years back, but it was inconsistant it didn't happen often. It was definately not present in either of the versions of the game I've played in the last 5 years, and one of them was a Steam version.

And the Direct 3D renderer was absolute shit, I can see why they did away with it. I can't understand why they even supported D3D in the first place, it was a useless ugly crashy mess in 1998.
>>
>>3751024
>it was a useless ugly crashy mess in 1998
I always thought the OpenGL looked worse, though, especially for UT (and actually crashed more often). Then again it might be because of my old flaky as fuck Vanta card.
>>
>>3750873
Gaben and his scumbags also removed EAX and A3D support for all GoldSrc games, so say goodbye to immersive environmental sounds and surround sound.
>>
>>3751114
UT's best renderer was always glide.
>>
>>3751143
and the soundtrack was replaced with lower quality versions.
>>
>>3751225

Elaborate
>>
>>3750898
>32-bit Internet service provider
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>3751250
Just look at this old UT benchmark, glide wins.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,87-10.html
The unreal 1 engine originally only supported glide and software rendering only. Direct3D and OpenGL support was only added later through patches.
>>
>>3751272
I agree, the performance of glide seems far more superior but that's it. Not a single word about image quality in the whole article.
>>
>>3751376
You're question about that is a lot more complex than simply API vs API. Voodoo 3 and 5 have better image quality than Voodoo 2 for example, but they can all use glide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LChhSMWPzBM
>>
File: 3dfx.jpg (51KB, 344x271px) Image search: [Google]
3dfx.jpg
51KB, 344x271px
>>3751225
>UT's best renderer was always glide.
You're my nignog.
>>
>>3751267
Probably just that it had to use Windows 95+ built in TCP/IP and not some old 16-bit modem dialer with it's own network stack that 32-bit Windows software would ignore.
>>
>>3750873
crap.
>>
>>3750873

Honestly the only place I ever remember getting stuck on consistently was that vent you'd had to slide down to reach the Pit Drone. But that's just mostly because sticking a loading screen while you're shooting down on a 45 degree angle is gonna make things wonky.
>>
>>3750887
>>3750873
Probably different frame rate limit in D3D.
You can change it for OpenGL.
>>
>>3751114
Not him but even back in the day, OpenGL was a no brainer. I have no idea why Direct3D even existed, maybe for the ATI friends? Regardless, don't play the Steam version unless you want multiplayer.
>>
>>3754149
OpenGL was shit. It's the best renderer now if you get the updated one for Unreal.
>>
>>3750873
that shit always happened in any game based on the quake engine with moving platforms

i remember one particularly annoying buy in HL1 though where they had a level transition inside a tiny pipe that you crawled into, and 99% of the time i'd just get stuck in the pipe after the loading screen
>>
>>3750873
Maybe your framerate is too high. I got that elevator glitch in Blue Shift from that, had to limit the frames to 60fps and it worked.
>>
>>3754316
Yeah, you can get the glitch if you're pushing up against level geometry during a map change. There's one corner in On a Rail where I always get it because I'm hugging the wall to avoid the electrified track.

>>3750887
I don't get this glitch in elevators anymore, I think limited my frame rate did help it, but I remember back when I was suffering from it, it was possible to jump and be in mid-air as the elevator stopped and that was a workaround. Definitely not a good solution though.
>>
>>3754434
I'll try capping the FPS at 60 next time I play.
>>
>>3754434
>>3754556

how did you guys do it? forced from gpu settings?
>>
>>3754149
> I have no idea why Direct3D even existed,
Because Microsoft have to stick their dick in every pie.
>>
>>3754742
fps_max "60"
>>
>>3754887
That's the Source engine way. HL1 being a Quake engine game is more likely to accept cl_maxfps.
>>
File: Capture3.png (33KB, 423x405px) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
33KB, 423x405px
>>3756427
At first I realized how much of an idiot I am, then I started up a game and double checked.

They probably changed it for the 2013 Steampipe update. So whoever's playing on the retail WON version should definitely stick to cl_maxfps.
>>
>>3756427
HL1 is Goldsource not Quake engine. It's Quake engine in the same sense Source engine is where they were build off of it and still share some code.
>>
>>3752815
s3 metal is better
>>
>>3756489
its quake engine with a couple fancy features. they didnt change much
>>
>>3750873
Meh
>>
>>3756523
Did they ever make a wrapper for this?
>>
>>3759918
>>3756523
The only benefit S3 Metal gave was the S3TC compressed textures, which were later adopted by everyone in the industry.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.