[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

File: 107299577aac6a62b53242c57d0daed7.jpg (149KB, 736x1039px) Image search: [Google]
107299577aac6a62b53242c57d0daed7.jpg
149KB, 736x1039px
Is retro gaming actually trendy right now or is it just a couple of autists buying everything they can?
I myself am up to owning 3 different /VR/ approved consoles but I wish I had just stuck to only having like 1
>>
>>3750230
nes has been trendy for like 15 years.
>>
I remember back when I was in highschool from '01-'06 playing the NES was associated with emo kids. I feel so old now, I wish I could go back.
>>
>>3750256
I'm a little younger than that, but back then people just played the fucking games without jerking off over
>omgz rare games
We just played the shit when we were high or whatever
>>
>>3750230
>trendy

No, it's technically extremely niche.

Don't confuse lazy indie devs using pixel art for retro. It's completely unrelated.
>>
>>3750230
It's both. It's trending because people are trying to reconnect with their childhood and want their kids to have some of it. This is grown popular by stuff like the new classic and emulation and things like the RPI, or they will get some original hardware and a few cartridges they remembered. This is the majority of them, where it's a neat little side project.

Then there is the very loud minority of autists who gotta catch em all.
>>
>>3750240
NES has never not been trendy, bro.
>>
If you didn't own the consoles since they originally came out, you're a poser. Simple as that.
>>
>>3750268
DUDE WEED

fucking faggot
>>
>>3750230
It's been trendy since long before you learned about it in your first LP. In some ways it has been since long before you were born. Having classic games has never not been a cool thing.
I know kids these days can't into numbers but there were hundreds of millions of these consoles sold. A couple autists aren't cornering the market just to force you to part with more of your allowance. Sure, there are people speculating. You have a whole 3 consoles. I have more neo geos than that. I know people whos collection dwarfs mine. But there's not retro Hunt bros cornering the market.

If you jumped on a bandwagon and can't afford the fare emulation just might be your thing.
>>
>>3750230
Dunno, some people just enjoy playing old games most than modern and it's understandable.
>>
I don't think it's as trendy now as it was 10 years ago (2007 was 10 years ago).

Prices are completely inflated.

The biggest video game personalities today aren't linked to retro gaming.

People have little appreciation for pixel art as they have no nostalgic attachment to low resolutions.

Finding old games today doesn't feel as special as it did hitting up the Virtual Console in 2007.
>>
>>3750230
hmm
>>
>>3751275
you forgot to add the XD.
>>
>>3750230

it's a response to modern games and all the excess baggage that comes with them. Retro games are generally easy to get into and play. No loading times, no needlessly long tutorials, no 20-minute unskippable cutscenes or voice acting, no 20 hour games with 6 hours of good content that are elongated for the sake of charging the consumer 60 bucks for it. Just put the cart in and within seconds you're playing a game. That's why many people are gravitating towards retro gaming. aka No-Bullshit Gaming.
>>
>>3751274
You're a poser only if you don't actually know or play the games and get into retro collecting just to be "cool" or "edgy".
>>
>>3751374

E L I T E
L
I
T
E
>>
It appears to be a trend on the internet (although the internet has a spot for every niche hobby under the sun) and maybe it is a big enough scene in some countries like America or England. Here in Italy where I live, it's basically non-existent. The only people I know that have a collection are two of my friends who were influenced to get one going only after they saw mine. And they don't even actually play retro games as much as I do.
>>
>>3751274
I disagree. I know a guy who collects titles. He never grew up with this stuff. He didn't have childhood memories with it. His first experience with Vidya is the first Xbox. He's pretty young, born in the '90 somewhere. He has a decently sizeable collection of nes, SNES, and Genesis. He doesn't brag about it. He doesn't participate in online discussion about it. He doesn't do it to be cool or allow how trendy he is.

He does it because he appreciates the games. He appreciates old technology. He likes the old simplicity and restrictions the programmers had. I know posers, and I didn't see him as one. You can appreciate old things even though you didn't grow up with them. Like film enthusiasts who appreciate old movies.
>>
>>3751274
I didn't have some consoles when they came out because I was a kid with no income, even though I heard about them. Then I went back and bought them as an adult.
>>
I only play retro games but I don't have a single retro console.
>>
>>3750230
Who is this bitch, and can I see up her skirt?
>>
>>3753136
It's mostly this, especially for me. I've been on the crest of the wave of video games since the late '80s, but the last generation and especially this generation have really changed the market more than I'm willing to tolerate, so I've largely gone back to playing old games that I missed out on, or haven't played in forever. No regrets.
>>
I used to collect NAMES of videogame related things, because all I played was nes/genesis/oldpc all the way up to 2004-2005
>>
>>3751268
This. Just because OP only recently started paying attention doesn't mean it hasn't always been popular.
>>
>>3755301
Like the majority of retro posers. You are here because you are a sheep.
You dont have nostalgia and so greedy that youwont buy ten buck nes
Cause you dont have a soul.
It is likely you are into retro to secretly make fun of them because its acceptable and will have no consequences
>>
Anyone who complains about the price of these games is a poser. Even at the OMG SO HIGH prices that they are now, retro gaming is relatively cheap.

The only way you either don't have a collection already or don't have enough money to spend on building more of a collection is that you're still a kid who doesn't make a decent salary. In which case you're a poser and the embodiment of the problem that plagues you.
>>
>>3755456
What?
>>
>>3755457
Anyone old enough not to be a poser kid will also have an adult job and realize the price of old games is minimal compared to other hobbies or passtimes.
>>
>>3755437
Except that's wrong. You are projecting your own idiotic bias on anyone that isn't you. People can play retro games because they can appreciate them for what they are. Not because 'everyone else is doing it'. Despite what you may think, retro gaming is not 'trending' right now, therefore there are no people just following the fad. But there are people realizing that there is another world of good games and good gaming to be had that comes from the past. To be interested in history, you don't need to have had lived in it. So kindly fuck off with your poisonous attitude, and let others discover good games. You are not superior, you are not better than them, you are not a special snowflake for having a collection 'before it was cool'.
>>
>>3755592
>retro gaming is not 'trending' right now

keep telling yourself that, kiddo
>>
>>3755463
>>3755456
>>3755457
To add to this:
used retro games are still cheaper (usually) than they cost when they were new.
That and new video games often cost like $50-70 bucks each. I buy most of my used retro games for $5-10 each. So it's still relatively cheap.
>>
>>3755596
It's really not. It may have gotten a little more popular recently, but it is not a trend. There's a difference.
>>
>>3755607
lol Please do break down the difference for us between something "getting more popular recently" and a trend.
>>
>>3755604
>used retro games are still cheaper (usually) than they cost when they were new.

This. Very, very few games are going for more than they originally retailed for. In terms of collecting, we're still in the era of these things being relatively very cheap. Sure, not the bargain basement prices when people thought they were worth next to nothing, but still cheap compared to their original prices.
>>
>>3755617
Do you remember a time when collecting comic books and being a fan of superheroes labeled you unusual and weird by the general population? How about now? Being a super hero fan is trending because it has permeated pop culture. How about a time when playing video games as an adult was considered weird? Howabout now? That's because video games are trending. Everyone plays xbox or playstation or whatever.
Collecting and playing retro games is still an unusual practice, even by video gamers.

>>3755621
I tell my wife that there are definitely more expensive hobbies. My brother is into car and motorcycle restoration. My dad is into gun collecting. You have any idea how much those guys spend on their hobbies a year?
>>
>>3755627
So how is all that different from something "getting more popular"?
>>
>>3755627
>You have any idea how much those guys spend on their hobbies a year?

That was my point. Retro game collecting is an extremely cheap hobby compared to most "normal" ones.
>>
>>3755634
It's experienced a little upsurge in popularity, as in more people are becoming interested in it. This is evidenced by rarity and increased prices in these things. But it's nowhere near trending. It's not popular enough for people to get into simply because they are following a fad. People getting into this hobby are doing it because they are realizing the wealth of good stuff in it. So going back to my original point, stop being a smug asshole and let people enjoy this obscure niche hobby.

>>3755637
Yeah, I was agreeing with you.
>>
>>3751274
That would be like saying "If you didn't watch the movie in theaters when it originally came out, you're a poser."
>>
>>3755645
>It's experienced a little upsurge in popularity, as in more people are becoming interested in it.
>But it's nowhere near trending.

Sounds like semantics. "Trending" is just a new buzzword anyways. Its more popular now. "Trending" or not.
>>
>>3755646
That's true though.
>>
>>3755437
It's honestly only because they are the only games I have fun with, and I like older graphics more
>>
>>3755658
But no, you cant! It has to be because you are a hipster poser! You cant enjoy this if you arent a noble childhood preserver like me REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3755413
The artist name is Yaman but the character in question is an original one.
>>
>>3756901
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>3755627

I bet your wife wishes you had a more manly hobby like your father or brother.
>>
>>3756991
Ignoring the obvious knee-jerk response of "at least I have a wife", i will answer honestly.

Not really. If anything, she knows it means that she has more money for her own hobbies, books clothes and shoes. And we prefer to stay out of crushing debt, like my brother because of his hobby.
>>
>>3755637
It used to be extremely cheap and as an extremely cheap guy I miss those days. I used to go to the flea market and get boxes of games for like 25 cents each. I got Felix the cat for a dollar and Zelda and Link for 50 cents years ago. Bought an NES and like 30 games for 8 bucks once but nowadays the prices are through the roof. Everybody wants over top dollar for everything like even a Mario/duck hunt.

Since I never sold anything since I was young I still have everything but I have also picked up stuff cheap thoughout the years, like I said I never really paid more than a few bucks for anything. Shit I just got a Wii because my neighbor gave it to me for free. The last console I bought for full price when it was released was PS2 because I came into some money back then.
>>
>>3750230
i blame modern offline games being total shit, shovel knight and undertale were huge hits for a reason.
>>
>>3750230
it has been popular for a long time and will be.
>>
>>3757265
0/10
>>
>>3750256
>highschool from '01-'06
Makes me feel old
>>
>>3756991
Nah. She likes having a cuck with a hobby that lets her spend most of his paycheck.
>>
>>3750230
Yo to be honest I think it's bigger online now but less big in real life then it was
Because i can find people showing off their leet collections all over online, but if I went to a new friends place and they had like a Genesis plugged in ready to play I'd be real surprise. Back in the 00's it was still a common sight
>>
File: 1484215997000.jpg (17KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1484215997000.jpg
17KB, 411x292px
>>3751275

Offtopic. Newfag here.
How I can hide the text like that?
>>
>>3759243

By turning 180 degrees and going back to lerddit.
>>
>>3759251

I have like two years here (yes, i'm a newbie), and always wondered how to archieve that.

Don't bully, pls
>>
>>3759253
You might figger it out once you hit puberty and learn how to read the very clear instructions in the 4chan documentation.
>>
>>3755621

Well, comparing used prices to new prices isn't the best analysis.
>>
>>3759328
it's the only argument they have to justify the ridiculous prices.
>>
>>3755437
ten buck nes? i just checked ebay and the cheapest nes + shipping to my country is $54.

games are mostly around $15 - $20 shipping.
>>
>>3759572
also, median monthly pay is $550. so go figure why i don't buy stuff you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>3751274
I'm 28 and was a Nintendo kid until the ps1 came out, then switched to Sony until I was old enough to make my own money.

Collecting sega consoles and other less popular consoles nowadays is just a means for me to play the games I never could when I was a kid because my parents didn't feel like spending all of their disposable income on letting me be an idort.
>>
>>3755456
>tfw if I had never traded in my games at used game stores over the years I'd probably have a collection worth 5 figures now

I still can't believe I sold a snes, a grey brick gameboy, a gameboy pocket, a gameboy color, and about 40 games (several of which are worth $70+ nowadays) to a Game Xchange for a copy of Army Men: Air Attack, Soul Reader, and a camp ps1 controller when I was about 12. Fucking christ, it makes me sick just thinking about it
>>
>>3759670
I never sold any of my vidya. Gave shit away but at least I can feel good about that.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.