[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plasma Televisions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0537.jpg (15KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0537.jpg
15KB, 636x358px
Do plasma TV's have the motion blur and crosstalk that LCD/LED TVs have?

Assume that I was playing a fast SNES game at 60hz, would there be blur/crosstalk?

Have you had any experience with plasma TVs and retro games?
>>
>>3749610
Yes, it's scaling the signal that creates the problems.
>>
>>3749610
I use mine for emulators, since mine has no input lag.
>>
>>3749684

So there's no situation where it would have clear motion?
>>
>>3749610
Plasma tv's have terrible motion blur
>>
Plasmas are the patrician flat screens but if you send them an SD signal you will experience delay. If this is unacceptable
>Emulate the console
>Use a CRT with the actual console
or
>Buy a quality upscaler like an xrgb
>>
>>3749820
>DELAY
You are so fucking retarded. Go kill yourself over a game of smash bros
>>
>>3749824
In what way did I offend you? Delay is real but some people find it acceptable which is fine. I suppose OP was asking about blur and crosstalk though, which can be almost entirely eliminated just by using an RGB connection - preferably on a 1chip SNES. US players will likely need to get an RGB to YPbPr transcoder whether embedded in a $30 cable or as a stand alone $50 scart-to-yuv. Stll a lot cheaper than a $300 xrgb though.
>>
What about SD Plasmas ?
Early Plasma screens were 853x480, and can be bought for dirt cheap now, how would they fare for retrogaming, assuming RGB cables ?
>>
>>3749836
I have one in my basement but I've never sent it 240p over component. It's shit at Svideo though, like super-shit to the point I feel like that circuit is malfunctioning. HDMI and RF are both nonfunctional on it to the point of sometimes soft-looping it. Like if I even let it fully attempt to switch to RF it makes horrifying, top volume tearing static sounds.

All my shit is slightly busted though. My 60" 1080p LG plasma appears to have had an incident where its pedestal fully tore out of the frame and it landed on its right front corner tearing the HDMI2 port loose from the board. Fine other than that though and I got it for $200 last Christmas.
>>
Why don't modern, digitally operating TVs have competent upscalers, or at least the option to use a decent upscaler?

Especially now that many TVs are "smart" and literally fully programmable computers--why hasn't anyone hacked a smart TV to display scanlines, upscale sharply, etc.?
>>
>>3750116
Because it would push their manufacturing cost up enough to cost more sales than it would gain from the relatively small market of people who want high quality standard definition performance.
>>
>>3750185
But they are already manufacturing and selling HD TVs with ARM computers built in. These TVs come with app stores for crying out loud. Why can't I find any evidence of anyone whipping up some software that runs on the TV to provide scanlines, a pixel-art-suitable upscaler, or anything? All I can find in the way of TV hacking are people who want to do stuff like control the TV over a network.
>>
>>3749610
They don't have the motion blur.
Hooking up an actual SNES to a modern plasma would probably look like shit but they're great with emulators.
>>3749810
They do not.
>>
>>3750189
>Why can't I find any evidence of anyone whipping up some software that runs on the TV to provide scanlines, a pixel-art-suitable upscaler, or anything?
Too niche. No incentive to do so.
>>
>>3750329
And yet manufacturing special retro gaming equipment like the framemeister, flashcarts, etc. is not too niche?

I could be completely wrong on this, and I hate how much I sound like some whiny 11 year old faggot on a forum saying "why can't you just program an xbox360 emulator for me for free by tomorrow???" but it seems like this would be as simple as writing an "app" for a popular brand of smart TVs that overlays a picture of scanlines on the av input. Maybe the apps can't access the video input devices though, or something. To prevent piracy I guess, maybe.
>>
>>3750189
An arm computer that streams Netflix is a long way from powerful enough to do low latency upscaling. You need purpose built hardware.

>>3750373
Overlaying scaliness wouldn't really do much and you can already buy inline devices that do it for like $20. Even integrated VHS and DVD players were barely desirable enough to warrant their production. Why do you want to pay hundreds extra for your TV that may or may wear out or break when you could a stand alone dedicated device?
>>
>>3750385
>Why do you want to pay hundreds extra for your TV that may or may wear out or break when you could a stand alone dedicated device?
It's more that I already have a smart TV and I'm interested in whether I can exploit its extra capabilities to useful ends.

I'll take your word for it that the latency would be too high to make it a worthwhile trick though.
>>
Have a 1080i Panasonic for ten years. Love it. No problem playing space shooters on it. I use a SCART cable to RGB component converter for retro games with my genesis. Works fine. Better than LCD when calibrated right. Absolutely no viewing angle problem and it goes as bright as you want. The final high-end Panasonics were the best ever. Don't buy a non-HD plasma screen (didn't even know they exist). That would be retarded.
>>
One thing to note, zapper light guns don't work on plasma. Wii & Menacer IR type do of course. Just no Time Crisis or Duck Hunt for you.
>>
Pioneer 428XD here. The colour, motion and scaling on this thing are phenomenal.

It truly is the next best thing to a CRT (I have quite a few of those, and good ones too).
>>
>>3750846
God damn you're stupid.

Do you ever try to not have a knee-jerk reaction?
>>
>>3750860
He's just some idiot from /v/ who doesn't even understand what he's trying to troll about

>>3750846
While I have seen that Asus' gaming monitors have the lowest display lag on native resolution signals we're discussing UPSCALING delay which is pretty hard to not notice no matter how slow your reactions may be.
>>
>>3750925
Again, that's not even what we're actually talking about. At all. I think you're on the wrong board you at least need to lurk moar before you try to troll with shit that doesn't even apply to us.
>>
>>3751021
Not the guy you're mocking but are you drunk or just a tool?
>>
>>3750116
When you upscale from 240-400i to 480p or 580p, nearest neighbor or gaussian is fine is fine

When you got 480i over a RF cable, and try to turn that into 720p, its noticeable that something is wrong.
So whoever was in charge, somewhere, started a horrible trend.
Its not that the upscalers are bad, its that they are programmed very bad, without any real benefit.
There is also bonuses such as the input delay serving several purposes, such as calculating both scaling & compensating for horrible black to white panel time.
>>
>>3749610
Not good for vr
>>
>>3753252
Thats more of a issue that your input will always be 480i in some way, so scaling will kill quality.
>>
I I have a 62 inch Samsung plasma television. I have my SNES and Genesis running through scart to hdmi and they look beautiful. I haven't noticed any input lag like my stupid ROMs on my PC. I tried to do a "speed run" of SMW on my emulator the other day and damn near missed half the jumps because of the stupid lag. Was just fine on my plasma.
>>
>>3753694
>>3751208
Plasmas are just fine unless you're autistic, do speedruns or play bullethell shit.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.