[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it bother you that GOG is selling cracked games, or that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: cifaldi_mario_gdc.jpg (2MB, 3826x2681px) Image search: [Google]
cifaldi_mario_gdc.jpg
2MB, 3826x2681px
Does it bother you that GOG is selling cracked games, or that Nintendo uses pirate roms for the Virutal Console?
>>
Nintendo claims to have written the header code independently.
>>
>>3749516
>GOG is selling cracked games

The point is to sell games that can be played easily on modern machines, without burning an ISO to a CD and stuff. Also slav jews bought out the copyrights or licenses to sell them. Totally legit.
>>
>>3749518
>the iNES/NES2.0 headers are just so intuitive that anyone developing a NES ROM header would independently arrive at it

No.
>>
>>3749516
Some of the older DRMs they use to use don't even work on a modern OS anymore. So you wouldn't be able to play the game legally.
>>
>>3749516
No.
>>
They own the content. They can do whatever the fuck they want with it. Why would it bother me?
>>
>>3749516
If the crack is what it takes to make it work then so be it.
>>
>>3749516
Not particularly, since one of the big advantages of piracy is convenience.

If they want to copy that aspect, by all means.
>>
>>3749516
Considering the article states maybe not does. So eat a dick and choke op
>>
Yeah but what are they going to do about it? It would be like going to the police because someone stole your vast supply of cocaine.
>>
>>3749667
Using someone else's illegal thing is just as illegal.
>>
>>3749674
But for any action, the original "author" has to step forward, implicating themselves.
>>
Being the right's holder does not grant you the rights over illegally derived works.
Bram Stoker's heirs did not get the rights to distribute Nosferatu, they could only demand that all copies were destroyed.
>>
>>3749516
As long as it has no effect on the games themselves I really could not give a shit.
>>
>>3749681
I think it'd be difficult to make a case that the iNES header data is copyrightable.

GOG I dunno though; if cracked versions have ASCII art or something added then there'd certainly be a new copyright for that.
>>
>>3749706
iNES format might be patentable, but not copyrightable.

I would really hope GG ripped out the cracktros completely. Even then, cracktros are freely copied so it should be fine.
>>
>>3749816
Oh, and any patents on iNES would have expired by now. Polite sage.
>>
>does it bother me that people are legally profiting from other people's work who themselves were illegally profiting from other people's work
Not really no.
>>
>>3749825
Cracking groups/independent dumpers don't exactly make any money off their work. I don't think most of them would be offended though. I'm sure if you informed them they would feel a sense of pride.

I love that Nintendo does this because I am autistic enough to download games using jnustool and wiiuvcextractor so I can say I downloaded the roms I play on my flash cart directly from Nintendo.
>>
>>3749839
I just remembered that in the 90s many of those guys were directly involved in the business of importing and selling cartridge copiers. Still the point stands.
>>
>>3749516
Nintendo is lol to me because of how much they bitch about ROMs and piracy on their website.
>>
>>3749840
I mean I'm not trying to detract from those guys as I've benefited tremendously from their work for decades but it's ridiculous to try to seize some kind of moral high ground. I'm sure you're right though - they would feel honored. It must give you a little whif of immortality as your work becomes something like an "official" version.
>>
I pirate everything, so no.
>>
>>3749538
Said no one ever.
Is your problem with reading comprehension genetic or environmental?
>>
Did something happen recently?
Nintendo has been doing this for a while, but this is the 2nd time I see it discussed today.

Fun-fact :
Besides the already known Virtual Console thing, Nintendo also used PocketNES code (NES emulator for GBA) for their NES Classic releases.
>>
>>3749516
GOG is like a $2 convenience fee and gives you a nice complete package, I buy stuff on sale, don't really care where they get it

Virtual Console otoh isn't even convenient, and usually isn't particularly cheap either
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.