[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your Diamond in the Rough?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 300px-Anachronox_cover.jpg (39KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Anachronox_cover.jpg
39KB, 300x424px
When I came across this game in 2004, I had my doubts. But, it was such a damn good game, except for the abrupt ending. So, I ask. What is your personal favorite game no one really knows about?
>>
making a RPG game out of the quake 2 engine must've been so fucking hard
>>
>>
>>3748609
Yeah from what I remember reading. They made this game to compete with FFVII I believe. To show that an RPG can be made with real time graphics, including cinematics. Not to mention if you search on youtube, it became the first full length Machinima, cutting up all the cut scenes into one hour long movie.
>>
>>3748629
Damn still wish I had my Dreamcast. Will see if I can find a Rom for it..
>>
>>3748586
It sux.
>>
File: koudelka.jpg (59KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
koudelka.jpg
59KB, 400x398px
this i would say.
it's an odd game.
the battle system needs work, but it has a really dark story and setting, and that kind of voice acting you could only get at the time.
it leads into shadow hearts if you are a fan of those games.
>>
>>3748586

Rough is right. It was a bit of a struggle to find a way to enjoy Anachronox. But yeah that game is frickin hilarious. And its mechanics are tolerable enough to not stop you from enjoying the writing.

They overreached badly in their attempt to do a jokey parody of a Final Fantasy battle engine that would also function as a real, working, fun, Final Fantasy-style battle engine... in some places the jokes fail to stretch far enough to cover everything, leaving bland, time-eating JRPG conventions in charge, and in other places the concepts are good enough but the mechanics feel unpolished or unfinished. It's all still playable enough though, given whatever semi-official patch you have to install to make it actually work and also add in a blessed fast-forward button for some of those old-timey overlong 3D animations and long long hallways. And "playable enough" is all it has to be, with writing and voice-acting that good.

Anyway my choice for diamond in the rough (except in this case without much actual roughness) would be Sacrifice. I guess it was the marketing that was rough there. Or maybe the audience. But anyway I don't think that game counts as "retro" here so nevermind. (Play it though, if you haven't.)
>>
>>3748642
> the first full length Machinima
Pretty sure there was a 3 hour Quake movie back in the 90's.
>>
>>3750964
>Anyway my choice for diamond in the rough (except in this case without much actual roughness) would be Sacrifice. I guess it was the marketing that was rough there. Or maybe the audience. But anyway I don't think that game counts as "retro" here so nevermind. (Play it though, if you haven't.)

I remember that game. I tried to play it as a kid but it was hard, I struggled against the enemy wizard with great effort meanwhile the other half of his army wrecked my base.

Can you give any advice on how to git gud?
>>
>>3750947
I tried to play this game once, but couldn't hardly see anything because it was so dark. The battle system was weird, too. I couldn't get into it.

I later realized it was my old TV dying no matter how high I cranked up the brightness which was the reason I had so much trouble with it...
>>
>>3748586
Meh
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.