[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darius Series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 22

File: Darius_flyer.jpg (41KB, 298x420px) Image search: [Google]
Darius_flyer.jpg
41KB, 298x420px
Played any Darius games? Talk about it here!!
>>
File: GDarOAS.jpg (168KB, 472x467px) Image search: [Google]
GDarOAS.jpg
168KB, 472x467px
Big fan of the series; Darius Gaiden is what got me in to the shmup genre over 4 years ago now. Once the weird female vocals came in on Visionerrz I was hooked.

Not all the games are great (Darius and Darius II have their flaws), but I appreciate on some level every entry. DG and G-Darius are the Darius experience par-excellence imo. Darius Burst is fantastic but not retro.

>favorite Darius track
Tough one to pick but it might be SELF, Kimera ii, or SAY PAPA.
OGR is love, OGR is life.

>favorite boss
Toss-up between GREAT THING and Queen Fossil (G-Darius)

>favorite silly-as-shit-yet-badass boss name
hoo boy there are too many, I'd say
FATTY GLUTTON
PEACE DESTROYER
MY HOME DADDY
HYSTERIC EMPRESS
CURIOUS CHANDELIER
ABSOLUTE DEFENDER
>>
best darius game coming thru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6BvgG7o-w
>>
I've only played Darius Twin. I actually really liked it, and I'm not normally into shmups.
Which one should I try next?
>>
>>3747397
I suggest either the arcade version of Darius 2 or Darius Gaiden. Just be careful with the latter though it has some weird difficulty spike if you power up your shot fully.
>>
File: storm causer.jpg (1MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
storm causer.jpg
1MB, 2100x1500px
>those are some nice powerups, kid
>would be a shame if something happened to them
>>
have you tried darius extra? the arcade update, not the pce port: http://darius.wikia.com/wiki/Darius#Darius_Extra

i haven't sunk enough time into darius 1 to comment on the differences, but it sounds like a decent improvement. might be worth a few credits to see if it's more to your liking.
>>
>>3747265
>MY HOME DADDY.

do you have any pictures?
>>
>>3745516
There is already a shmups thread, use that.
>>
>>3748292
oops didn't know about that. My apologies.
>>
Darius 2 is my favorite

"I always wanted a thing called Tuna Sashimi"
>>
>>3747667
Extra fixes the balance problems of the original and is a much better game. It essentially makes Original obsolete and the only version of Darius worth playing.

The PCE port is based on Extra. The CD version even has all the bosses that were cut from the Original and Extra, which is not a small number.
>>
>>3748292
you don't get monopolize conversation on an entire fucking genre with a general.

feel free to stay in your containment thread, though.
>>
File: MHD3.gif (17KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
MHD3.gif
17KB, 256x224px
>>3747725
This is MY HOME DADDY. Its main lightning attack is actually very tricky (for me) to dodge.
>>
File: MyHomeDaddysGirl3.png (512KB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
MyHomeDaddysGirl3.png
512KB, 598x800px
>>3747725
>>3750375
and to show you how deep Darius lore goes, here is its daughter, My Home Daddy's Girl, from Space Invaders '95: Attack of the Lunar Loonies

Space Invaders '95 aka Akkanvader is a great game with another Darius-inspired parody boss; i recommend checking it out on MAME.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>3745516

G. Darius is the best in the series.
>>
>>3750387
omicron for best stage intro for sure.

and no-capture runs are the real deal.

>>3748423
neat. i must not have understood the differences between the pce versions because i thought they were both meh ports.

i actually had my wires crossed and was trying to say the darius extra that isn't the fan game (since that's what comes up first in a search). glad i got confused though since now i have a new game to try.
>>
Does anyone else get really bad audio glitches in Darius 2 arcade?
>>
>>3751290
No... Are you talking about the loud crackling noise as some bosses appear? Or that some bosses fight you in silence?

Those are both intentional. The former was meant to be blasted through some powerful sub-woofers so you'd REALLY feel it when a captain or boss shows up to wreck your shit. The latter I don't know why, other than I guess they thought it gave the fight some atmosphere.
>>
>>3751290
>>3751685
you can turn the shaker down in MAME if you look at the slider controls
>>
>>3751685
>>3751714
It seems to be the YM2610 causing the issue, and it happens just as the Taito logo is fading out at the start of the game. It also happens when i get killed and my ship explodes, and when the giant blue fish midboss appears in stage 1 etc.
I killed the volume of the YM in the slider options which fixes it but also cuts out part of the music too.
>>
>>3752218
I just take it in as part of the experience. =3
>>
File: shmupsoda.jpg (230KB, 638x678px) Image search: [Google]
shmupsoda.jpg
230KB, 638x678px
For people that don't drink soda: Coke > Pepsi > RC
>>
>>3745516
First game and Gaiden are my favourites.

2 had crap weapon upgrades (no Wave gun? fuck that), and G-Darius was meh.

I'll buy the new game on Steam once it gets down to $20.
>>
>>3747641
Darius Gaiden only has a difficulty spike because the 1+2 wave gun is weaker than the 1 wave + 2 Vulcan gun.

I still can't figure out patterns for Storm Causer and Odious Trident, though.
>>
>>3752263
Better hurry up then:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dariusburst-chronicle-saviours
>>
>>3750375
>>3750387
>Those backgrounds

The one thing Dariusburst did wrong was the backgrounds.
Not enough of them, and the ones that do are pretty good but nothing weird like this.

Great game though, definitely the best Darius (Chronicle Saviors, at least)
>>
File: G-Darius_arcade_flyer.jpg (57KB, 322x450px) Image search: [Google]
G-Darius_arcade_flyer.jpg
57KB, 322x450px
Should I shoot for the PS1 version or get the Taito Legends collection that includes it?
>>
>>3752307
PS1 version has the most slowdown, avoid at all cost.
>>
>>3752309
>avoid at all cost.
hehe, just like a shmup!

Thank you, thank you, I'm not very funny
Ya i'd try Taito Legends over PS1
>>
>>3752307
Yeah, even though the ps1 port has a neat boss rush, the game runs constantly at half speed except in those rare instances when nothing is happening and the game runs normally.
>>
>>3752269
>Great game though, definitely the best Darius

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the better examples of how to bring an old franchise back to life without gutting everything that made it so memorable in the first place.
>>
File: dariusgaiden_0002.png (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dariusgaiden_0002.png
20KB, 400x400px
>>3747663

It's a bit dirty, but if you hover inside his mouth just after he's finished his entrance and mash the fire button like crazy you can rip out at least 70% of his health right off the bat. If you're not worried about score, even kill him outright by throwing 2-3 bombs just as he starts attacking.

Hardest end boss besides G.T. IMO is Vermilion Coronatus, without a doubt.
>>
>>3752785
>Vermilion Coronatus
this stupid nigga has infinite health, I swear. He takes forever to beat and each attack is more horrific than the last, especially as he starts extending himself during the fight.
>>
>>3745516
Which is the best Darius? And for what system
>>
>>3752257
R-Type and Darius can't be Pepsi or RC because R-Type and Darius go well with liquor.
>>
Wasn't there supposed to be some "Darius Anniversary Edition" thing coming out? What's the opinion of that?
>>
>>3752983
>this stupid nigga has infinite health, I swear. He takes forever to beat and each attack is more horrific than the last, especially as he starts extending himself during the fight.

His only difficult pattern is the one where he launches 2 sets of rotating spikes around the screen, but as long as you don't panic, you can pass inbetween them (since they rotate to an inverse axis).

The part where he extends and showers the screen is all about finding the blind spot. I have not found it yet.

Other than that he is more annoying than difficult since he blocks his head with his tail and you can't damage him for a while, only with your read bombs and your blackhole bomb.
>>
>>3753592
Wasn't that just original Darius on PS4 with a shitload of music

Speaking of which, god bless Zunata
>>
>>3753239
Taito Legends 2 on the PS2 has both best Darius games: Darius Gaiden and G-Darius.

>>3753592
I thought that was just a port of Darius Extra to the PS4?
>>
File: CylIjkUUUAAOTM7.jpg large.jpg (104KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
CylIjkUUUAAOTM7.jpg large.jpg
104KB, 1024x683px
>>3753624
>>3753625

There's also this guy coming out in toy form for the first time. And also, a re-stock of the 1/60 Silver Hawk Legend plamo. They're treating us quite well for the 30 year celebration!
>>
>>3753627
>1/60 scale figure of an imaginary spaceship
How do you even determine the scale of a fictitious ship?

That's a fine looking figma, can it wiggle?
>>
>>3753627
>king fossil figurine
well Iron Fossil but w/e

I want one!!

>>3753636
I think Darius 1's attract mode lists out the specs of the original Silverhawk.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
23KB, 480x360px
Gradius>Darius=Rtype
>>
>>3753683
Gradius V is the best Gradius
>>
>>3753693
Is it? I've still never played it. My favorite Gradius is a tossup between arcade Gradius 1 and SNES Gradius 3.
>>
>>3753714
>Is it?
I've seen a lot of people disagree with me

So yes, it is the best.

But everyone has an opinion. At the least, it's definitely a good one
>>
>>3753714
It's not. He's just trying to bait people who get triggered whenever Treasure is brought up.

My ranking would go:
Gradius 2 > Nemesis 3 > Gradius > Gradius 4 > Nemesis 2 > Gradius 3 > Gradius 5 > Gradius Gaiden > Gradius Rebirth > Gradius Galaxies
>>
File: 110814riga.jpg (79KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
110814riga.jpg
79KB, 500x460px
>>3753683
>>3753693
>>3753714
>>3753758
>>3753910

Make your own damn thread you stupid twats!!

This topic is about Darius, not Gradius or any other STG!
>>
>>3753714
Gradius V is something like an hour and a half long, and throws you everything from the entire series up until then, and more. It also allows you grab back your options, so you don't get immediately fucked if you die. It's an epic space shmup without puzzle bullshit. It also has an awesome implementation of time travel.

The only thing it lacks, sadly, are the Moai.
>>
>>3753910
I honestly do like Gradius V the most, I'm not trying to be a baiter.

The controls were just so much smoother and felt like there was more room, like the game was a bit zoomed out.

I'm willing to admit Gradius V and Nemesis were the only gradius games I owned as a kid, so I'm probably biased as fuck

>>3753923
Gradius/Konami DLC for Dariusburst fucking when?
>>
File: SpYamato.gif (33KB, 224x320px) Image search: [Google]
SpYamato.gif
33KB, 224x320px
>>3750380
Oh hey, that's pretty neat. I played this game on the PS2 Taito compilation. I thought the Yamato boss was the only Darius reference, other than the two Silverhawks being playable characters.
>>
Do the routes in Darius Gaiden have specific difficulties, like are the upper routes easier? I'm trying to get a 1cc and the only thing I know is to stay away from the center to avoid Titanic Lance.
>>
File: Yamato spritesheet.png (77KB, 423x697px) Image search: [Google]
Yamato spritesheet.png
77KB, 423x697px
>>3754903
>>
File: crustyhammer.gif (16KB, 218x202px) Image search: [Google]
crustyhammer.gif
16KB, 218x202px
>>3755230
The difficulty is a bit unevenly spread (there's not a real clear up-down thing like in DB, though Great Thing and Storm Causer (the two corner zones) are the hardest bosses, iirc.

The easiest route is typically ABDHQL* (V or W, with V's boss being a little easier).

I think the most important thing for the 1CC is knowing where the hidden 1ups are (1 in the 3rd zone and 1 in the 6th zone), using missiles effectively (point-blanking bosses with missiles is the fastest way to kill them), and not going overboard with powering up your ship - try to stagger out your powerup acquisition (like having 4 lasers against Ancient Dozer as opposed to 1 wave, or sticking with the Wave + normal shot combo). While at a certain point this won't matter any more in raw difficulty, the game gets harder the more you power up your shot between "main" levels (when your shot-type changes).

Also avoid this prick at all costs if you want to 1CC
>>
File: 6428668.png (1MB, 900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
6428668.png
1MB, 900x1000px
>>3755506
>Also avoid this prick at all costs if you want to 1CC

Evil bastard occupies so many zones for having such fierce attack patterns than many of the final bosses don't even match...
>>
>>3745516
What is the best darius and the hardest
>>
File: 29414630.jpg (612KB, 788x1000px) Image search: [Google]
29414630.jpg
612KB, 788x1000px
>>3757680

Gaiden is the best and I'd say II is the hardest (For reasons that are completely unfair...)
>>
File: 25503547.jpg (261KB, 900x697px) Image search: [Google]
25503547.jpg
261KB, 900x697px
>>
File: url.jpg (138KB, 501x600px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
138KB, 501x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSs_0JZiZM
New DLC is from... Capcom!

... And Cave again, because they absolutely could not think of anything else to add besides Progear apparently lol.
>>
>>3760929
Are the DLCs actually good?
Or do they just change the way you play

Some of them don't seem like a drastic change in gameplay
>>
File: figma iron fossil table.jpg (169KB, 1500x999px) Image search: [Google]
figma iron fossil table.jpg
169KB, 1500x999px
Article about the Iron Fossil figma with a ton of pictures, this thing looks great.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.