[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i got one off these cheap of ebay, whats /vr/ verdict

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: 3do.png (136KB, 617x416px) Image search: [Google]
3do.png
136KB, 617x416px
i got one off these cheap of ebay, whats /vr/ verdict
>>
You can burn games for it pretty easily so that's cool

I liked playing Star Control II on mine
>>
>>3745409
yer my bro is jazzed about that too
>>
>>3745406
wanna play some fmv games can any one recomand any
>>
>>3745406
Probably the best failed console. Definitely the best of the 90s unless you count Dreamcast

>>3745436
I love FMV games but they're downsampled pretty heinously on 3DO so I gotta encourage you to play the DVD, PC or DAPHNE emulated versions if at all possible. The only FMV game on 3DO I can think of with no superior PC version is Strahl and the Saturn version is a bit better.

Of course, the original Triad Stone is best on Laseractive but don't even get me started on Laseractive.
>>
>>3745406
It's decent

I recommend:
Doom
Dr. Hauzer
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse Returns
Star Fighter
Lucienne's Quest
Guardian War
Scramble Cobra
Oukoku no Grand Chef
>>
>>3745406
Tell me how cheap you think is cheap and I'll give you a verdict.
There aren't a lot of great game for this but enough to justify getting one if you get it cheap.
>>
An interesting offbeat system with a small enough library of desirable titles to make it worthwhile to physically own. The original versions of games like Policenauts and D were published for the 3DO.
>>
>>3746137
ASKUALLY Policenauts was first released on the PC-98 but the versions that came afterward are a bit different.
>>
>>3746151
Ah, then it must have been the first console version.
>>
>>3746081

No Return Fire??? And Samurai Shodown, and Power's Kingdom
>>
road rash, need for speed, ssf2t, dragons lair, luciannes quest. return fire
>>
>>3746320
Power's Kingdom is Guardian War.

And altough the Samurai Shodown port is good, the Neo Geo CD version is better (only bad part been the load times of course). Return Fire is decent but not my kind of game
>>
File: Rise Of The Triad.jpg (544KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Rise Of The Triad.jpg
544KB, 800x800px
I wonder what's the fanciest FPS it could handle? The Doom port was pretty lousy, but... Genesis could play Wolfenstein 3d quite well, I'd guess this could handle a pretty good version of ROTT.

I'd guess if a doom port was based considerably on the SNES version, it would be quite alright.

At least it had the shoulder buttons for strafing, unlike the Jaguar and the 32x.
>>
Play Way of the Warrior. It's pretty garbage but is fun as hell on a weird way.
>>
>>3747002
3DO has the best console port of Wolfenstein 3D.
>>
>>3746092
100 dollarudos including postage from japan to australia
>>
File: 1468876134444.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468876134444.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>3747328
100 bucks for this piece of shit??????????????
>>
>>3747514
thats tracked postage to you know how expensive it is to get stuff sent to australia. its not cheap to feed postkangaroos
>>
>>3747571
also remember that aud cash not fake americana money
>>
>>3747514
They only cost so much because there's a lot of broken ones
>>
>>3745406
I actually regret it less than buying a Saturn. Fucking games for it are more expensive than the console itself.
>>
>>3746137
Gex as well. Best console version to boot.
>>
>>3747328
So not cheap at all by any standards except auspie. Verdict: Guilty of first degree retardation.
>>
you did well Daniel San
pick up Road Rash and Crash and Burn
the latter for 90s cheese
>>
>>3747584
>there's a lot of broken ones
I never heard that. The FZ-10 is bulletproof with it's simple top load, and even the FZ-1 seems to hold up well even with the motorized tray and is said to be very solid.
>>
>>3747918
Actually, it is cheap for a Japanese 3DO. A bare console + controller shipped to the US seems to be about $150 (shipping is $50). Op got a decent deal-being in the Pacific helped with the shipping no doubt.
>>
File: The_NFS.jpg (31KB, 250x466px) Image search: [Google]
The_NFS.jpg
31KB, 250x466px
>>3745406
The 3DO is basically the Sega CD on steroids.
>>
>>3748169
Sure but you can't expect a fully working one for less than $100
>>
Holy fuck, how is a 3DO Blaster worth $2400:
www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Labs-3DO-Blaster-boxed-unused-/302157150160?hash=item4659f837

The description of "unused" is bullshit, it's just someone who kept everything in the original box. These are somewhat rare, but the production number is still in the thousands (at least 5000 were made), and a worse gaming experience than the console with the game in a window and you need an old PC with 16 bit ISA.

Still a neat collectible, but what the fuck on that price.
>>
>>3745406

Gex
Po'Ed
Alone in the dark
Killing Time
Blade Force
Captain Quazar
PGA Tour Golf
D

Those are some games you should play
>>
3DO is okay it's on par with the jaguar from the same time period. They have 10 titles give or take that are good and a ton that are terrible. Jaguar has more playable mediocre games. The 3do just has good and bad games. It's controller is a huge drawback, it's unresponsive and clunky. Twisted is a super fun game show with a few people around. Guardian War is awesome. Return Fire is amazing. Road Rash is good but the PS1 version is better. Star Control 2 is awesome as well. Samurai Shodown is okay the scaling has awful slowdown and SSF2T is a great port but the controller problems make both kind of crappy.
>>
>>3748186
It's more like CD+32X games. Some inexperienced experimentation with 3D combined with the early 90s CD Audio/FMV "video games of the future will just be interactive entertainment" gimmick.
>>
File: 3dofswordf.jpg (198KB, 576x406px) Image search: [Google]
3dofswordf.jpg
198KB, 576x406px
>>3748303
There are a number of third party 3DO controllers, including six button fighting controllers that solve the SF2 issue. Everything from pads, to a flight stick, to a few arcade joysticks...quite surprising actually: http://www.3dotoday.com/Accessories.html

Definitely beats Jag on that front.
>>
>>3745406
flip and buy good games
>>
>>3748353
The 3DO has good games. If OP flips it, no good 3DO games to play.
>>
>>3748169
You've lead a sheltered life then champ. I've seen plenty of broken FZ-10s. Drives are absolutely not "bulletproof"

>>3748180
>actually, it is cheap for ebay
topkek

>>3748205
>you can't
The technical term for that is projecting. You have no idea what he can expect. I pick up working ones for $20-$30 on a regular basis so can confirm your $100 figure is eBaby bullshit.
>>
>>3748583
>topkek
That's the price for a Japanese one on eBay, chief. Sure, you can use a bidding service to get one on Yahoo Japan and save a few bux but no way will it be cheap.

>I pick up working ones for $20-$30 on a regular basis so can confirm your $100 figure is eBaby bullshit.

Japanese ones? US ones don't count, as OP's is from Japan. Yes there is a difference, as the JP Kanji Rom is used by some titles. Show me a JP 3DO for $20 and I'll buy it right now. US ones are not even that cheap on the completed auctions.
>>
Horde alone makes the 3DO worth it.
>>
>>3748641
Yes, Japanese ones.
How can I show you one if your entire world view is eBay eBaby?
>>
>>3747064
I'm sure it could do a bit more than that. I mean, doom is numerous steps above wolfenstein 3d. That's why I mentioned ROTT, it's effectively in between wolf3d and doom in terms of level of 3d and visual power, though of course that doesn't automatically make it less demanding because it is an extended engine.

So something in between doom and wolf, like angled walls but no stairs, or varying levels but only orthogonal walls(a bit like sauerbraten).
>>
File: 1377372822360.gif (1017KB, 260x198px) Image search: [Google]
1377372822360.gif
1017KB, 260x198px
>>3748206
Jesus 2400 dollars? I had a 3DO has a kid and had no idea that the blaster was worth that much.
>>
>>3749096
Seems like a fluke, but annoying because crap like that inflates the value of common enough stuff like the blaster card.
>>
>>3745406
whats po.ed like
>>
File: fightingsword.jpg (308KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fightingsword.jpg
308KB, 1600x1200px
just order another goldstar controller and a six button fighting sword pad (pic related)
also street fighter 2 is on its way
>>
>>3749220
>common enough
>blaster card
>thinks it's a sound blaster
>dumb as fuck
>>
>>3750223
You stupid fucking imbecile, where the fuck did I call it a "sound blaster"? Reading comprehension, do you fucking have it? The 3DO Blaster production figures are known to be at least 5000 units, which is not $2400 rare, imbecile. These were sold at blowout prices at computer stores like CompUSA across USA and there are literally thousands floating around and there's nothing rare about this 3DO on a pc card other than what eBay price tards like you are willing to pay.

Now fuck off.
>>
>>3748206
>>3750321
I don't know, 5000 sounds pretty rare actually! People must have found another use for it.

It sounds like it ought to get a reproduction, having all these old systems taking space just adds up to a big mess, two in one makes for a real nice neatening trick. Now, if there was something like an 86duinno with a 3do blaster repro fused in, that would be amazing.
>>
Its fuckin shit.

It has the best versions of D and Night Trap though.

>>3748303
I'd argue of all the awkward 3D Road Rash games around that time the N64 one "played" the best.
>>
What was that game dude the one that was like an MMO FPS in cyberworld or whatever that game looked cool.
>>
>>3750847
>Its fuckin shit.
No, that description is reserved for the RCA Studio II.

You omitted other great titles like the excellent SSF2T, and the well regarded RPG Lucienne's Quest. Lemmings is good too, and some more. 3DO is the underdog everyone counts out, but there are gems to be found-Japanese third party devs gave it an edge over the Jaguar situation too.
>>
really excited for my purchase never thought i would own one o these
>>
>>3750321
I said you called it a "blaster card". You did. Reading comprehension fucktard. 5,000 units is indeed rare and if that is the figure then there are not "literally thousands floating around". And the thing is supposedly NIB. There are probably only a handful of those "floating around".

There are EB threads when johnny come lately bandwagon collectors like you can circle jerk, bitch, and cry about prices.
>>
>>3751210
Fucking eBay tard. I've been collecting games since getting an Atari 7800 in 1987, and your justification for idiots overpaying for common shit on that hole doesn't hold.

If you could not figure out what I was talking about from the context, you are cordially invited to pound salt up your ass because you are an imbecile.

Pathetic newbs like you who think everything should cost thousands are cancer.
>>
>>3750852
Did it have FMV in it? It might be Iron Angel of the Apocalypse
>>
>>3751227
>pretends to be an oldfag
>doesn't even pretend to be as oldfag as the oldfag he's calling a noob
Top kek kid

It was easy enough to figure out from the context what you were talking about. Your ignorance and propensity to bullshit. Show us one of these common "blaster cards" that's floating around champ.
>>
>>3746081

no wing commander 3?
>>
>>3748303

how is the ps1 version better? It plays the same and the 3do version has more FMV bits (and music videos on it).
>>
easy to burn games, a surprising selection of decent titles, including some exclusives to the system, and overall a system with some fun energy. Not a great one overall, but worth playing some games on it.

I receommend Immercenary, it's not amazing but the concept is so ahead of its time that I think it's worth appreciating.
>>
also get starfighter,
>>
>>3752357
Just die already aspie. Your "blaster" tic is fucking pathological.

Adios.
>>
Let's take a time machine back to Panasonic's official 3DO homepage circa 1996: http://web.archive.org/web/19970128122552/http://www.panasonic.com/PIM/cool/index.html

Look at all these great titles: http://web.archive.org/web/19970128143221/http://www.panasonic.com/PIM/cool/current.htm

Wow, an RPG for 3DO coming to America: http://web.archive.org/web/19970128164559/http://www.panasonic.com/PIM/cool/lucie/lucie.htm

I'm a real archive.org junkie, and can't get enough of embalmed sites like this-it really is time travel.
>>
>>3752926
man those websites are so junky looking. All those clip-art gifs and tacky fonts...

Pretty crazy to think that this is how big-time company sites used to look back then.
>>
>>3747002
>I wonder what's the fanciest FPS it could handle?
Killing time, probably.
>>
>>3748331
>early 90s CD Audio/FMV "video games of the future will just be interactive entertainment" gimmick
They were somewhat right though.
>>
>>3753003
Enhanced for Netscape 3.0 tho, super high tech! It's a blast to see a site for a major console that would be at home on Geocities. Maybe they hired some goth kid with 'leet html skillz to do their site in exchange for a copy of D.
>>
>>3747064

It's not even fullscreen. Have you played the Jaguar version?
>>
File: bladeforce.jpg (56KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
bladeforce.jpg
56KB, 720x480px
Blade Force if you want to see the best 3D visuals the system was capable of. It's fun to play but mindless in the way most 90s action games were.
>>
>>3753018
Well, it is impressive, in spite of the orthogonality. I did hear or the PC version being terrible, I don't know if that implies just lower standards for console FPSes or the original being better.
>>
>>3752445
DOS
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.