[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the best PC retro games I can play at work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: civ3-1-lg.jpg (289KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
civ3-1-lg.jpg
289KB, 800x600px
What are some of the best PC retro games I can play at work?

Pic unrelated, I never was able to figure out how to play this game well
>>
>>3744885
Yoda Stories
>>
>>3744885
Because it's the toughest game in the series. The AI is always several steps ahead of you.
>>
These are the games I have installed at work:

Doom
Master of Magic
Master of Orion 2
Lemmings
SimCity 2000
Tyrian
Settlers 2
Diablo
Total Annihilation
HoMM 3
>>
>>3744885
Depends. Does you work involve sucking dicks at a japanese "health center"?
>>
>>3745184
>toughest game in the series

Not saying a lot.
>>
Creatures
Lemmings95
Sim city 2000 windows version
Sim Tower
>>
>>3744885
>>3745459
CIV3 sucks, some of its mechanics just plain blow even though it is mainly a more cohesive game than CTP was

> tfw you will never see the "space layer" or build cities in space again

Newer civs I think fixed alot of the issues with the military unit power stuff (seems it goes up by powers of two now, muskets just shouldnt be able to stand up to rifles, at all).

I didnt like C3 at all.
>>
File: QzSGbbn.jpg (997KB, 1267x1920px) Image search: [Google]
QzSGbbn.jpg
997KB, 1267x1920px
>>3746279
>muskets just shouldnt be able to stand up to rifles, at all
What if they are fortified and in mountain terrain?
>>
>>3745459
The corruption mechanic was the main flaw of Civ 3. At a certain point, expansion causes you to lose money because corruption increase the further your new cities are away from the capital. However, the AI isn't affected by corruption at all (or minimally affected by it), which gives it a huge advantage over the player.

However, even this could've easily overcome by the use of bombardment and nuclear strikes if it weren't for the fact that they made these attacks nearly useless: Bombardment can't completely destroy units nor bring their health close to zero and cities can't be nuked continuously to bring their population down to a very low amount. Even if you have an unlimited number of nukes, bombers, and artillery units you won't be able to win unless you have a very large ground-based army.
>>
>>3747162
You can mitigate corruption substantially by building courthouses, switching government type to communism, or playing a commercial civ. Each courthouse not only decreases corruption by a flat amount in the city it's built in, but also increases your optimial city capacity so the civ as a whole is less affected by corruption.

Communism eliminates the "distance to capital" corruption modifier, making it amazing for managing far reaching civs, especially if you don't have the forbidden city to reduce corruption on another continent.

And commercial civs function like they have a very tiny courthouse in each of their cities by default, which has far reaching effects when you reach the late game. All of these mechanics were designed to bring players away from spamming microcities to prevent a repeat of AC's fiasco with tiny cities and crawlers.

I think the biggest issue with Civ3 is how roads and railroads are handled and their implication on travel. Once you have a civiliazation fully railroaded, your units can move anywhere, anytime, and fight at full strength, giving you a massive defensive bonus since you can dynamically reallocate your force to your liking. I think there should've been something in place to deter players from building roads on every tile and simply have them limited to connecting cities (Or better yet; auto-generate roads between cities who are trading, making them organic) so that players will have strategic decisions on how to attack and defend territory (You'd know there'd be enemies most easily coming through boarder cities connected by roads, so you could coordinate most of your defenses there, but still leave some mobile troops in case of a landing on your shores or a push through the hinterlands to unconnected cities).
>>
>>3747804
>AC's fiasco with tiny cities and crawlers.
what do you mean?
>>
>>3747162
>shilling for communism
>>
>>3746279
CTP was a spin-of dude. And made by Activision, who still retains the rights.

And also far better than any of the main games
>>
Depends on how retro but Nethack is in my opinion the ultimate in "take anywhere" gaming.

>>3745403
>Settlers 2
Maximum comfy
>>
>>3748161
He meant 'ICS', Infinite City Sprawl.
>>
>>3748760
What's better: Call to Power or Call to Power 2?
>>
>>3748936
How do I into ICS on SMAC?
>>
>>3750158
Don't. Heavy micromanagement will make the game a chore to play.

Don't worry about base spacing, just keep pumping out pods and sending them to good locations (special tiles, chokepoints, landmarks) until you reach your bureaucracy drone limit and then pop boom up to the hab limit while teching up.

From there you can go for a conquest, election, ascendancy, or market takeover victory.
>>
>>3750123
I've only played the first one desu, but since CTP2 is the only one you can get without going out of your way to try and find a physical copy I'd recommend that one I guess.

The like 5 minutes I played of it seemed fairly similar to the first one, but you know, it was a very superficial impression.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.