[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so this...is the power...of...........resellers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 16

File: Untitled.png (10KB, 536x252px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 536x252px
so this...is the power...of...........resellers
>>
>>3743982
Collector's items tend to raise it price over time and with popularity. How is this actually surprising to anyone?
>>
>>3743991
It's not surprising, as much as it is utterly retarded.

>starts mainly in 2012

AGDQ is this cause, I hate those faggots
>>
>>3743982
If anything, this trend makes me feel better about splurging on games, because no matter what I buy, if I regret it, I can easily resell it for the same or more within a few months.
>>
>>3743982

Why did it level out during 2013 and can we recreate it?
>>
File: snes-flash-cart.jpg (56KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
snes-flash-cart.jpg
56KB, 1200x900px
>>3743982
How do we redpill the normalfags, /vr/?
>>
>>3744000
Make them cheaper
>>
>>3743996
The Wii U came out, and all the Nintendofags/smashfags that the resellers thrive on were saving their hard-earned pennies for new hardware. Then it turned out that the Wii U sucked, and they turned back to collecting again, especially in the wake of the new Smash Bros. game, which always stokes the fires of collector scum.

If you look at the chart, it's beginning to level off again, because Nintendofags are getting ready to spend $300+ on the new Zelda machine.
>>
>>3743993

>Haha, I love payong absurd amounts of money for old videogames! Isn't it great fellow retro gamers? Why prices should only go up, up up! That's what we retro gamers want!
>>
>>3743992
What do you think is "retarded" about it? That was about the 15 year mark for a not of SNES games. For the first few years after they were very very cheap (as you now see with PS2, Xbox) but then once they start to get old it starts to go back up again.

Sure, as popularity in older games started to grow again there were youtube channels and things that popped up because of that, but it was the games themselves that does it.

The only thing retarded here is you for wanting to get into collecting old things, but wanting no one else to want them so you can get everything you want at the lowest price they ever were.

That's just self centered and stupid. You have no more right to any of these games than anyone else.

Also daily reminder that unlike collecting most other things, you don't have to pay a dime to experience most of these games if you want to. Emulation is robust and easy in 2017.

If collecting antique hardware and games is what you're into then great! More power to you. But be aware of what you're doing and understand that you are now into the hobby of collecting and collecting things, especially rare or old things will never, ever be super cheap.
>>
>>3744006

I think you mean the Splat2n machine, m8
>>
>>3744010
Calm down.
>>
Starting a thread with a meme is never a good idea and usually leads to a terrible thread.
>>
>>3744008
I don't usually buy anything over $50. Games that cost more than that are usually just "L@@K, RARE!" meme-games anyway. And emulation exists.
>>
>>3744015
I'm plenty calm, but this is one of the stupidest questions imaginable and it gets asked here multiple times a week. It's confounding that the people who come here and spend their time collecting old games still can't grasp the basics of the hobby they have chosen to take part in.

They just bitch and bitch and bitch constantly about "resellers" and why everything isn't cheap and how terrible it is that some meanie somewhere won't sell them a mint copy of Castlevania 3 for ten cents. It's almost physically painful how stupid they are.
>>
>>3744030

Yeah we should all just chill out and accept the fact that hipsters and opportunists are rapidly driving up prices in our hobby at an absurd rate to the point where the cost of many items has doubled in a handful of years, making it less and less accessible as time goes on. The mature thing to do is to just lube up and bend over the table.
>>
>>3743982
Blaming resellers for collectable items increasing in value is like blaming AAA for your car breaking down.

They exist to serve the demand (I.e. how capitalism works)
>>
File: P10706811.jpg (530KB, 2002x1502px) Image search: [Google]
P10706811.jpg
530KB, 2002x1502px
>>3744059
>hipsters and opportunists are rapidly driving up prices in our hobby at an absurd rate

You are exactly the same as those "hipsters and opportunists" whether you want to admit it or not. The prices are going up at their natural rate.

The mature thing to to is realize that as hobbies go (especially collecting antiques) it's still relatively cheap and that if you want things that have value to many people you will expect to pay that value.

If you don't want to collect, don't collect. Almost my whole physical collection now is a couple of Saturns, some gameboys and a few tchotchkes. It's plenty easy to keep playing old games without being a collector.

If you do want to be a collector, then go for it! But stop being such a big baby about the fact that you actually have to pay for the antiques you want. Grow up, stop being an entitled brat and be careful about what you spend your money on.
>>
>>3744030
4chan has to have a boogieman for everything. We can't handle the cognitive dissonance of taking part in something we deem negative in any way.

See: all of /pol/, the cancer that killed /b/, etc.

>>3743992
People have to want to watch those things in the first place. It's the fault of people having interest in retro games that is driving prices up, not some youtubers. If people didn't care about retro games they wouldn't watch those videos and if they hadn't done those speed run things then someone else surely would have eventually (also they give money to decent charities, how selfish can you get?)
>>
>>3744073
This is true. I collect mechanical clocks, and some of my clocks have cost a lot more than some of the most expensive games I've purchased.
>>
>>3744082
>4chan has to have a boogieman for everything.

It's sad to admit, but I think you are correct.
>>
>>3744082
>also they give money to decent charities, how selfish can you get?
>implying GDQ is transparant about the money it collects and actually gives it all to charity instead of keeping it for themselves
>>
>>3744073

I'm not because O don't buy shit well above the goong rate because I'm not a fucking retarded chimp who pays the first price he sees and lists his shit and what people are asking and not getting creating a fucking endless loop that jacks up prices

This is not a "natural rate", this is a massive fucking spike for ANY collectible. A bunch of shit double between like 2011 and 2014. If that was the natural rate for collectibles, no one but Middle Eastern princes would be able to afford pre-90s comics.

I don't think I shpuld get shit for free but anyone who collects anything would be concerned when prices started spiking this hard.

Stop acting like it's nothing to be concerned about. Unless you're making money selling shit this is a negative and abnormal thing for anyone into collecting games.
>>
>>3744091
>Stop acting like it's nothing to be concerned about.

Stop acting like it is. Deal with it or get a new hobby.

I am not into collecting games though. I am into playing games.
>>
>>3744085
If so, I'm very curious, who is /po/'s boogieman?
Paper cuts?
>>
>>3744003

They're already cheap.
>>
>>3744010
>>3744073
>40 years later
>Atari 2600 games are still worthless
???
>>
>>3743982

It's buyers that are the problem.
>>
>>3744102
Paper airplane enthusiasts infecting the glorious craft of origami with their bullshit western casual toy folding. FUCKING ASSHOLES ALL OF THEM!
>>
>>3744106
Atari games sucked even when they were new.
>>
So what's the price tier list look like? Not counting the rare stuff like Earthbound, just an average of the cost of the "classics" or "essentials" for any given platform

It seems like SNES is the most expensive, then N64, then NES, which is a totally irrational arrangement.
>>
>>3743982
Fuck off with that meme shit.
>>
>>3744095

How is it not? Things are getting more expensive at an abnormal rate, making it notably more difficult to collect and very difficult to get into. If someone's into collecting, where's the fucking upside here? It's a fucking problem.

If you're not into collecting, good for you, it doesn't affect you, have fun playing some cool games.

And why shouldn't I complain? I'm going to keep collecting but why do I have to deal with it in silence? Why should the people responsible for the abnormal spike be free from criticism, exactly? Just hide the thread if you don't want to hear it.
>>
>>3744114
>Things are getting more expensive at an abnormal rate,

You only think it's abnormal because it's not the rate you want it to change at. But old hardware is finite and more and more people find themselves interested in it every year. For the same reason you want to get your hands on all these games, many many other people do as well.

Your problem is that you think you're different from everyone else who wants them. You think you are special and your desire to play them is more special and more real therefore the prices should stay low so you can buy anything you want. But that's just you being selfish and immature.

Understand that what you want to collect is popular, and popular with good reason. Save up, if that's what you are interested in spending your money on and spend it carefully.

You shouldn't complain because complaining does you no good at all. It won't change the prices of anything and it won't make other people less interested in also collecting things. All it does is waste time and energy and makes you look like an insolent child throwing a tantrum because you don't get everything you want.

And I shouldn't have to tell you how adults feel about other adults who act like children when they don't get what they want. Grow up, anon. It will be good for you and all those around you.
>>
>>3744109

So did almost all SNES games.
>>
>>3744010
>not super cheap
Then howd I get a Genesis with 2 controllers shipped for 30
>>
File: neo geo carts.jpg (1MB, 1280x1287px) Image search: [Google]
neo geo carts.jpg
1MB, 1280x1287px
Try collecting Neo Geo carts & then tell me how bad the super nintendo situation is. Also like 50% of neo geo carts are bootlegs, so good luck with that.
>>
>>3744132
>almost
>>
>>3744149
>>>/pol/
>>
File: merchant.png (309KB, 496x494px) Image search: [Google]
merchant.png
309KB, 496x494px
>>3744149
>>
>>3744153
Don't reply to /pol/ bait.
>>
>>3744157
Bait replies to pol.
>>
>>3744145
Wasn't the Neo Geo the most obscenely expensive console ever when it was new?
>>
>>3744168
Adjusted for inflation, the Neo Geo cost $1189 in 2016 dollars (Canadian). The 3DO cost $50 more than the NG at launch. $739.99 for the Neo Geo and $789.99 for the 3DO.
>>
File: ebay.png (447KB, 968x760px) Image search: [Google]
ebay.png
447KB, 968x760px
>>3744168

Yeah, but I'm talking specifically about the arcade cartridges, which until 2012 or so were fairly cheap. I want a copy of Prehistoric Isle 2 for my Arcade cabinet but it's either going for hundreds of dollars, or the seller can't be bothered to post pictures of the Motherboards to verify it's not a bootleg.
>>
>>3744121

No, I think it's abnormal because it's a much harder spike than most collectibles experience and is unprecedented in video games. Try reading what I'm saying.
>>
>>3744195
>it's a much harder spike than most collectibles experience

Not necessarily true at all.

>and is unprecedented in video games
That is true, but it's because video games are still a relatively new phenomenon.

I am reading what you're saying and you sound like an entitled brat.
>>
>>3744073

I collect rocks. It's free
>>
>>3744215

>not retro

Ancient is not retro.

You cannot discuss rocks on this board.
>>
>>3744215

Some people actually do do this. You can make good money off it too. A friend of mine has magnetic shoes & just goes out into the woods until he finds out a meteorite attaches to his boot. I really need to ask more about it, but he's shown me some really cool magnetic rocks. Probably worth money too.
>>
>>3744225

>tfw you have 12 shoeboxes full of metallic rocks
>tfw you have no face

I didn't know I could sell this shit
>>
>>3744225
One of my friends supplements his income fossil hunting as well. Rock collecting is pretty rad.
>>
>>3744229

He also does stuff like Truffle hunting, so I'm guessing he's making money only off of the really rare rocks. Only the meteorites have metal in them from what I remember. Pretty cool to just go for a hike & make money off of it though.
>>
>>3744229
>>3744234

>Move to alaska
>Put massive magnets in the soles of your shoes
>Walk around for hours collecting metal rocks
>???
>Profit

The next board should be /geo/
>>
>>3744010
>The only thing retarded here is you for wanting to get into collecting old things, but wanting no one else to want them so you can get everything you want at the lowest price they ever were.
>That's just self centered and stupid. You have no more right to any of these games than anyone else.

Never implied nor said any of this, but okay mr fag
>>
>>3744281
>Never implied nor said any of this
Sorry, I thought I was still talking to this guy who implied exactly that
>>3744059
>we should all just chill out and accept the fact that hipsters and opportunists are rapidly driving up prices in our hobby at an absurd rate
>>
>>3744205

Oh yeah m8 I tell you what shit just fucking DOUBLES IN PRICE IN THE SPAN OF A FEW YEARS all the fucking time, that's why Avengers #1 is worth the economy of a small nation and can buy and sell men's lives.

Oh wait, that's retarded.

It is unusual, not that it doesn't happen, and any collector would be upset to watch prices rise so rapidly unless they intended to sell.
>>
>>3744103
They're not. Especially if you're a normie and don't know Chinese knockoff everdrives exist. If you look it up, all you'll find are the retarded expensive ones Krikzz sells.
>>
>>3744205
t. Reseller
>>
>>3744220
NES is ancient to me. Stop talking about it.
>>
>>3744193

>Metal Slug MVS
>$479.90

Yeah, I'm going to say that's a bullshit sale.
>>
File: AudTMo0.jpg (106KB, 768x1151px) Image search: [Google]
AudTMo0.jpg
106KB, 768x1151px
>>3744257
>The next board should be /geo/

>Talking about Neo Geo
>Talking about making money off rocks
>New Board Should be /geo/

That's a hell of a complete circle. So what you;re saying is to make money off geology to pay for a Neo Geo? Sounds like a good plan to me.
>>
>>3744145
I'm fairly certain 90% of Neo Geo collectors are drug dealers
>>
>>3743982
Go buy old PC games if you want cheap shit.
>>
>>3744089
You know non-profits have lawyers, right?

>>3744307
I can't be bothered to look at some data in SPSS right now, but it seems that there's been a huge boom of interest in retro games since about 2012, so perhaps if you factor that in the rate is normal. I don't know shit about collecting so I am just taking your word that it is abnormal.

What do you believe the reason the games have increased in price so much?

>>3744569
You'd be surprised how fast you can make drug dealer money by starting an okay business. I started an online store dropshipping from AliExpress, paid some people on Instagram to promote for me and started making $1k a day within a month. It's fucking crazy if you can hit it right. It seems like all these Neo Geo dudes are trust fund babies or business owners.
>>
>>3744145
>all that macfag shit
>steve jobs portrait
what a tremendous faggot
>>
>>3743982
At least it looks like its about to plateau
>>
>>3743982
Shit's why I mainly collect Genesis/Playstation stuff, great libraries and most of it is cheap.
>>
It's the power of increasing demand and finite supply.
>>
>>3744739
>I started an online store dropshipping from AliExpress, paid some people on Instagram to promote for me and started making $1k a day within a month.
Not that I'm trying to go stealing your business or anything like that, but how exactly does one go about starting something like that up?

I've heard of people selling via drop shipping before, but never really got how that all worked out in the end.
>>
File: AmerPsycho_014Pyxurz.jpg (135KB, 1600x990px) Image search: [Google]
AmerPsycho_014Pyxurz.jpg
135KB, 1600x990px
>tfw I bought most of the retro games I wanted at flea markets years ago.
>>
>tfw bubble has spread to N64 games before you could fill out your collection
Feels bad man.

>>3743992
I don't think it's AGDQ or if it is, it's not only that, look at Saturn games for example, I've never seen a Saturn game played at AGDQ/SGDQ, also PS1 is still cheap despite Resi/Crash/FFs/Tomba, etc. being played there regularly. It seems to be affecting only Nintendo and Sega systems.

Shit's even starting to spread to GBA and GC now. Are we gonna start seeing $80 Wii's soon or some shit? I mean, Pokemon carts are still hitting the high $40-50s after peaking around $70 and they sold tens of millions of these.
>>
>>3745229
>but how exactly does one go about starting something like that up?
find someone who provides a valued good (manufacturer) and you can offer to be the guy who does the shipping and brings it to the masses

or vice versa
>>
>>3745249

It is like cancer, spreading from console to console as high prices drive some collectors away from one overpriced market into a relatively cheaper one. And, of course, you have them intellectual forward thinkin' types who start buying and buying out of fear of *insert console*'s library skyrocketing in price, and of course like-minded resellers wanting to stock up on future resale meat - predicting the market, if you will.

One system takes off, probably in part due to nostalgia + ecelebs. People start frantically buying it, then get sad when prices go up. But wait, whats this? Some other old game system? I kinda remember that one... And the games aren't too expensive? Oh boy, ebay, here I come! I better start buying as much as possible before prices go up, gonna get in on the GROUND floor! Then prices for that system start to go up. Repeat.
>>
>>3745231
what flea markewt
>>
>>3744739
>You know non-profits have lawyers, right?

Yes? So? It doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. And even then, they can also hire lawyers to do the same thing for them so it doesn't mean much. Besides, even pro deo lawyers rely on governmental pay and I'm pretty sure that's rare in the USA.
>>
>>3745261
I used to live in a rural area in the Midwest and would go to a bunch of different ones. Used to get games for literally pennies of the dollar (I once found CIB Saturn copies of Resident Evil and Alien Trilogy for 50 cents each no joke) Those days are long gone though.
>>
>>3745273
*pennies on the dollar
>>
>>3745263
No it does mean much because the charity can easily get GDQ shutdown as charity fraud is a federal crime in the USA.

Regarding lawyers... you are wrong. Big charities hire lawyers.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this with you, it's totally hypothetical as there is no evidence they are stealing money in the first place. A court would just have to have PayPal confirm whatever they got from GDQ compared to what GDQ has published which wouldn't be hard to do given PayPal's history.
>>
>>3745328
>No it does mean much because the charity can easily get GDQ shutdown as charity fraud is a federal crime in the USA.

Try telling that to the president elect... I don't think gdq is exactly committing charity fraud but possibly they could have chosen a better charity.
>>
>>3744010
Well said.
>>
>>3744336
Doesn't stop people paying 200+ for Earthbound
>>
>>3744526
daaaamn.
>>
>>3744189
Seedies are cheap, Carts are not. Big difference.
>>
>>3744145
MVS is in reasonable price range, especially compared to some arcade boards out there.
>>
>>3744145
All of the worthwhile Neo Geo titles got ported to PS2.
>>
File: 1483824101196.gif (832KB, 252x188px) Image search: [Google]
1483824101196.gif
832KB, 252x188px
>>3745417
That doesn't really explain the hardware price though. If anything I would expect the 3DO to cost more to produce, CD transports being rather expensive back in the early 90s compared to ICs.

>>3745446
>mfw 480i
>>
>>3744739

The boom is the cause of the rise in price; people inexperienced with the market pay the first price they see, and since the market has fewer shrewd shopper prices go up. It's a natural consequence of the rising interest but a very rapid spike and still lamentable.
>>
>>3745231
I remember going to flea markets with my grandpa a lot, about 15 years ago or so. There were tons of great, sealed, SNES games that could be bought with pocket change. I bought copies of Star Fox and A Link to the Past for like 8 bucks each, I think. I'm kicking myself for not buying more.
>>
>>3743982
This is what you get when modern games keep getting dumber and dumber...
>>
>>3745564
This is absolutely true. I have a snes collector friend who is just getting into retro games now and does zero price research. We go to flea markets occasionally and he usually jumps on something he wants regardless of price.
>>
>>3745630
Tell your friend he's a dipshit.

I find some of the most obscene prices for games at my local flea markets. Prices are almost always 5-10 bucks higher than I can get things on ebay, probably thanks to morons like your friend. On occasion I've gotten a dealer to lower their price by showing them a cheaper "buy it now" price on my phone, but seeing as how sniping auctions usually nets you even lower than the average buy prices, it's rarely worth the trouble. People always talk poorly about "ebay prices" here like you should never pay them, but honestly, I get all the best prices on ebay. You just have to be patient, and use a sniper service or something.

Apart from that, there's not many places to get retro vidya anymore. No thrift stores carry them anymore, I have been stopping at random yardsales for YEARS, and never seen a single video game older than PS2, and my local craigslist has gone down the shitter. Half the search results yield ads for local resellers, or lazy ass fucks who are soliciting to buy games from you instead, and of course the random dude who thinks he's gonna get $100 for his N64. It's truly a terrible market right now, it's actually amazing how exponentially worse it's gotten in just the past few years.
>>
>>3744526

Uh...not what I was groping at, but...wow.

Goddamnit.
>>
>>3744010
I think the problem here is the "collecting", I don't want to collect shit, I want to play it.
Why can I play the older PS3 game for 5-10$ in perfect condition but getting a Saturn game in DECENT condition will cost me at least 20+$ and shipping from Japan.
The resellers and hip and cool youtubers really fucked the prices up
>>
>>3745780
>I think the problem here is the "collecting", I don't want to collect shit, I want to play it.

Then buy flash carts and/or emulate.
>>
>>3745630

>>3745664

Like anon said, he would be better to just do eBay and Amazon and spend 5 minutes looking for what he wants.

I think spending hours to save $10-30 is fucking stupid, but flea markets tend to be pretty bad.
>>
>>3745787

This is our world now.

Players buy flash carts or emulate.

Collectors buy the original copies.

Much wow.
>>
>>3745342
Yes they use some shit charities.
>>
>>3743982
>the super powers of bandwagon collectors are ignorance and projecting.
FTFYK
>>
>>3746020
Why are you so angry? Where were you ten years ago when prices were good and buying retro games was actually fun? Let me guess. You've only gotten into retro games in the past couple years and were shocked at the prices. If so, you have no reason to complain since you're part of the problem!

In fact, anyone who pays any of the current prices for retro games is THE problem. You seem to be hung up on resellers for some reason. Why are you blaming them? Blame the impatient person who is willing to pay overinflated Buy it Now prices for a game, thus telling buyers and sellers it is okay to list and pay that price for said game.

Somebody said it earlier in the thread and they're right -- you've got no more right to these games than anyone else. That includes resellers, yuppies, hipsters, whoever you want to blame. Just because you want to actually "play the games" doesn't mean shit. The fact that you show interest in the retro game market is a problem in itself.

Blame the Youtube e-celebs. Blame the guy who just wants to play Mario like he did when he was 6 years old. Blame geek culture as a whole. It doesn't matter. The point is that retro gaming isn't the niche, inexpensive hobby it was 15 years ago. Get over it.

If you truly want to just play the games then emulate or use flash carts. Why is this wrong to you? Because you can't afford to pay prices that other people can? Collectors tend to be the ones willing to shell out the most for games. Yes, it is like this in every single hobby that has ever existed.
>>
>>3746020
>>Much wow.

I want Reddit to leave.
>>
>>3746186

Nah, I'm going to keep complaining about bullshit that interferes with my life rather than remain silent at risk of hurting your feelings
>>
>>3746267
Bandwagon collectors have no life faggot.
>>
>>3746329

Maybe not, but since I've been collecting since the shit was new I wouldn't know.
>>
>>3746337
If you've been collecting since "the shit was new" then why are you complaining? Wouldn't you have the games you want by now?
>>
Guys, please dont get mad. The games still cost like nothing if you have a job.
>>
>>3746343
No such thing as enough games to a real collector
>>
>>3746347
Does the OP want to collect or play games? That's what it boils down to. Because I'm getting mixed signals.
>>
File: 1462676986211.jpg (672KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1462676986211.jpg
672KB, 2048x1152px
You can't stop it unless you can change the scene.

Much like PC gaming, retro gaming has devolved into an online dick waving contest.
It's no longer about what games are the best, what games are being played, hints, tips, hacks, or anything even related to gaming. It's how much you spent and on what.

>R8 my 4 digit roms goys

>LOL not using a broadcast monitor and three digits worth of interconnects. Are you even a SAEROIUS RETRO GAYMER?

Same as PCMR douchebags posting steam libraries and spamming about 60fps. You cucks even have a recurring battlestation thread.

It's not a hobby anymore, it's an arms race.
>>
>>3746346

I have a great job, but I'd still prefer to spend $10 on a no-box cartridge instead of $50. That way I have $40 left over.
>>
I can't believe people still see the price increase as a "bubble". Prices are going up because the games are getting older, it's never going to stop. They are never, ever, ever going to go down in price again.

Everyone keeps talking about hipsters buying their precious games, without realizing they are those exact hipsters themselves. So many idiots on this board think they have a special stamp of autism that permits them to enjoy video games more than others.
>>
>>3746539
Will drop if people lose interest
Maybe never since 90s kids think it's cool to be eternally manchildren
>>3746387
True that
>>
>>3745612
This.

Modern games are shit. There is nothing to choose from anymore

Video games are dying because of grafix whores. Companies spend a shitload of time making graphically impressive games, but the gameplay is worthless trite. Up until generation 6 game developers could still have a decent output of varied games, trying different ideas and failing without too much backlash. Now the process is too costly and they have to make safe bets to earn money, so everything is a generic first-person shooter or a retarded sandbox GTA clone.

The only current criteria for games are polygon count, being very large, and 60fps. Remember when platformers existed?
>>
>>3746337
>i'm totally fooling anyone
You're not fooling anyone
>>
>>3746387
>>3746539
Pretty much this, people aren't interested in buying a copy of Hagane because it's a cool game, they do it so they can have bragging rights. I have far more respect for a person who has a box full of games that they play and enjoy than someone with a complete collection. Who the hell would want to pay thousands of dollars for a copy of stadium events when you can get the exact same game for five bucks or less? People who want to show off and get showered with admiration from other collectors.

I've been collecting old games since before I even knew that's what I was doing, and the atmosphere for people doing this has changed completely in the last five years or so. It's not about "have you played game X, it's really fun" anymore, it's about "do you have game X? it's worth 200 bucks but I got it for 150".
>>
>>3746480
Those games used to be 10. You missed the boat. When they're $200 you will be wishing they were $50. Then what?
>>
>>3746603
>do you have game X? it's worth 200 bucks but I got it for 150".
Pat the NES punk is the perfect example of this mentality and people new to the hobby look up to him. It's disgusting.
>>
File: 1484085001961.jpg (55KB, 650x370px) Image search: [Google]
1484085001961.jpg
55KB, 650x370px
>>3746603

>It's not about "have you played game X, it's really fun" anymore, it's about "do you have game X? it's worth 200 bucks but I got it for 150".

This so much. A fb group I'm on is loaded with people like this. They absolutely do not care about the game itself at all, and just buy it because they need to have it for their dank kalekshun. Nobody ever actually talks about playing the fucking things. I even see people will be selling absolute garbage, like a bunch of SNES sports games, (severely overpriced anyways) and people will salivate over them cause "oh man gotta have it for my collection"
I've gone to one of these video game swaps or little trade conventions once out of curiosity. The buyers there were fucked. Pretty much:

>Oh wow I got this obscure rare game!!! So excited to finally own it and add it to my kalekshun!
> I waited in line for hours for admission and spent gas money driving here, It goes for $500, but I got it $495! Wow what a great deal I got on it!
>Oh cool... you gonna... play it?
>Lol probably never, b-but, isn't it cool that I OWN it? How cool is that!?
>>
>>3746343

No because I ain't rich as fuck. I've got quite a bit that I want but I'm always hearing about new things I want to try.
>>
>>3746603
>I have far more respect for a person who has a box full of games that they play and enjoy than someone with a complete collection.
Same. I always have to laugh at the youtubers who always record themselves in front of a wall of NES because, because like, less than a quarter of the NES library is actually worth owning.
>>
>>3746589

You want my grade school pictures of me bringing NES carts to photo day because I was a fucking autistic retard?
>>
>>3746713
YES, OH SWEET CHRIST YES
>>
>>3746749
>>
>>3746791
whomever that is its pretty rad
>>
>>3746791
You are a fantastic human being and I hope you find true happiness
>>
>>3746804
>>3746812

Aw shucks
>>
>>3746791
Living the dream m8

I love the cord tangled up around your arm. Truly "autismo chic."

What year was this?
>>
>>3746791
this needs to replace the OP pic in the sticky.
>>
>>3746823

I want to say like '96?

Late for the NES cart but the Pocket was newish
>>
File: windows95launchman.jpg (120KB, 602x753px) Image search: [Google]
windows95launchman.jpg
120KB, 602x753px
>>3746689
Fresh OC for you. Thanks for using my meme
>>
>>3743982
>giving a shit what things cost
If u have to ask you can't afford it
>>
I hope prices go higher, I had to pay $60-70 for a new amiga/pc/snes game, no reason you entitled cunts should get them for cheap.
>>
File: IMG_3321.jpg (80KB, 625x307px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3321.jpg
80KB, 625x307px
>>3744114
Wait, so you are a collector? Please tell me how it is that you are not contributing to the retro game bubble? Have you erected some sort of cognitive force field that prevents you from reaching the the conclusion that you are part of the economic system that results in the prices of good rising?
>>
>>3744195
>unprecedented in video games

Every new thing that happens under the sun is unprecedented, that doesn't mean jack shit, sick of this stupid buzz word. The only thing that is normal are things that already happened. Would be a pretty shitty world wouldn't it?
>>
>>3747024

It's a real neat trick, I just don't buy something if someone's asking a ridiculous price for it.
>>
>>3746713
Sure. Or just bring some with you to school tomorrow and snap some pics.
>>
>>3747031

Are you retarded
>>
>>3747138

Are you
>>
>>3747139

I just don't know how else to approach that

Yeah, things that are normal are pretty much limited to things that have happened before. That's what normal means.
>>
>>3747150

I see. So if you ever wind up losing your virginity, it would be unprecedented and therefore abnormal?
>>
>>3747157

Correct. Now you're getting it.
>>
File: cool.jpg (69KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
69KB, 685x960px
>>3746603
exactly

>>3746643
He is such a condescending, hypocritical piece of shit. I can't stand his entitled whiny ass or his twitchy little fuckbuddy.

>>3746689
I am on a fb group that has people like this. buy the big ticket titles and post a pic of the intro screen stretched 16:9 on a hdtv. No further discussion except circlejerk of others posting their copy or drooling over a mint cib. Fuckin hell.
>>
File: giphy.gif (14KB, 500x594px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
14KB, 500x594px
ITT 32yos with BAs in geology try to make sense of basic economics
>>
>>3746539
It's not a bubble but prices will plateau eventually. It happened with baseball cards in the early 2000's, it's about to happen with comic books soon, and it will happen with retro games at some point.
>>
>>3747371
There is literally nothing wrong with geology.
>>
>>3747381
That's what geologist scum actually want you to believe
>>
>>3743982
What's the chart pre 2008. Higher than it is now?
>>
>>3747084
But buying anything contributes to the bubble
>>
>>3744000
Write code for the chips that haven't been implemented on it yet.
>>
On a semi related topic, if nintnedo wasnt run by fucking retarda and actually shipped a decent number of NES minis how do you think it would have effected the price of NES games?

We all know millenial hipsters don't care about preserving the past and just want a snazzy looking "retro" box to hook up to their TV, so if there were a decent number of consoles shipped do you think that it could have lowered the prices of NES consoles and games?
>>
>>3747381
You're what's wrong with geology
>>
>>3745780
Basic supply and demand.

/vr/ please learn economics at least a little so you're not so triggered out the tits all the god damned time.
>>
>>3747720

...I was really hoping more people would talk about collecting rocks.
>>
>>3746186
>>>3746020
>The point is that retro gaming isn't the niche, inexpensive hobby it was 15 years ago. Get over it.

Well it can still be pretty cheap depending on the console. And if you want to venture into 6th gen it can be dirt cheap, but then you don't get the /vr/ cred.
>>
>>3746812
Second this
>>
>>3747731
That's a rocky road plagued by landslides to go down again
>>
>>3747720
But then who am I going to scapegoat for my frustrations? I can't possibly have the maturity to accept things as are and be grateful they're not worse.
>>
>>3745787
This.
>>
>>3747770
Take a coin. Write "trump lovers" on one side and "SJW scum" on the other. Flip it and blame whoever it lands on. It's all the same shit.
>>
>>3747792
oh wow you must be so smart!
>>
>>3747553
I have a friend who used to collect retro and started up again over the summer. He got an NES mini for Christmas and now he's talking about selling everything. People like him just want a stylish box that plays games, that's spot on.

>>3747743
Unless you're going for the big trophy games like little samson and hagane most games worth playing can still be found for relatively cheap. Sure games on average might be closer to 10 bucks rather than 3 like it was ten years ago but as demand rises and supply stays the same prices are going to go up. That's just the way it is.
>>
>>3747864
You have no idea.
>>
>>3744102
/po/ is convinced, somewhat correctly, that there is a cabal of Korean/Japanese papercraft hobbyists that are "hoarding" designs, both retail and amateur, under the guise of racism. They're not entirely wrong, as a few of the aforementioned Korean asshats have said as much while showing off designs they're never going to voluntarily distribute.
>>
>>3748142

It's been a long time since I was into origami but I thought that was like, blatant facts about the Japanese.
>>
>>3747792
Thanks famicon
>>
>>3746480
If you really wanna collect you buy the box in a good quality and have to pay more anyway BESIDES the game probably raises in price. So basically you can only win.
>>
>tfw baby bro feels the need to own physical cart
>tried setting the example of pirating if he wants to avoid emulation
>bought him a GBA flashcart
>he traded it the next day for a Pokemon Fire Red with a dry battery

Is it time to abandon hope for this generation?
>>
>>3748196

No, your bro's just a shit who doesn't appreicate gifts.
>>
>>3748196
Fire Red doesn't use a battery though
>>
>>3748209
Wish it was that. I also got his Wii rolling with an SD card Swiss mod and he stopped using it entirely and opted for using the Wii u to play his games. Meanwhile I'm over here playing the fuck out of my CFW PSP and HDD modded PS2 without having to pay hard earned cash on used games.

>>3748318
It was one of the red pokemon games on GBA. I don't keep track.
>>
>>3748450
Ruby uses battery for RTC, FireRed doesn't, both save to flash memory. I know u don't care, but yeah
>>
>>3748142
It's disgusting how some people just don't want to give away their work for free. Can you let me know what McDs you work at so I can swing by next time I want a free burger? kek
>>
>>3748196
Not a generational thing. Plenty of dudes older than you on here also care more about plastic and stickers than they do gameplay.
>>
>>3748196
Nah, he's just retarded.
>>
>>3746879
Thanks anon. You should edit the pic I posted with the shelf full of games in those plastic sleeves or whatever, maybe add some tattoos/le nerd graphic t-shirts on patrick, maybe something implying they've spent a ton of money on it all, and it'll be perfect
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.