[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Famicom thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: squarefami_x2.jpg (351KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
squarefami_x2.jpg
351KB, 2000x1500px
Let's have a thread about the most iconic console in Japan
>>
File: IMG_20170110_200234.jpg (1MB, 1848x3242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_200234.jpg
1MB, 1848x3242px
Last week I burned my first EPROM of a translated version of final fantasy 3.
Fletcher obligated to play it on my Famicom that never gets any love.
The game is great.
The Famicom controller cords TOO short.
Yay famicom!
>>
Fletcher?? Ugh. Autocorrect and fat fingers.
>>
>>3743486
Congrats on destroying a copy of FF3.
>>
>>3743492
I'm super proud of it thanks!
But honestly, I could always put the original rom chip back in since I didn't cut the legs.
>>
Got 3 Famicoms here. An original Jap one, a chinese one (same model but with AV out, pretty cool), and a model 2 AV Famicom.

Love that one, I use it to play everything except PAL games (for which I use a PAL NES). I use it with og NES controllers, a famicom, and a converter to play NTSC NES carts on it.
>>
I only own the first four Dragon Quest games for my Famicom, but I've beaten all of them.

>>3743486
There is a point where you should just emulate.
>>
Guys. I also added composite video to my Famicom and pseudo-stereo.
Sweet merciful God....I ruined it!

I really just like tinkering. I don't see how that's ruining anything. We're here to play games, not seal them in gloobstick. (Points for getting that reference.)
>>
>>3743506
NESfag-sama, what do you think is the best model of the Famicom?

Also, can you please post pics of your various Famicoms?

I don't like the NES design gaijins got.
>>
File: Nintendo-AV-Famicom-Console-FL.jpg (374KB, 3510x2790px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-AV-Famicom-Console-FL.jpg
374KB, 3510x2790px
>>3743589
Don't have a camera, even my phone's broken.

AV Famicom's the best. The only reason I can think of to use the original is if you need the mic on the 2nd pad.
>>
>>3743623

>Implying you can't do this on a Twin Famicom, which even has an integrated FDS
>>
>>3743623
What else is wrong with original Famicom if I AV mod it?
>>
>>3743638
Speaking from experience, the composite is going to have jailbars, pretty much no matter what you do. Some say removing the ppu and coving the board in copper tape helps, but others say it's not worth the hassle and danger of shorting a pin.
The controller cords are also stupidly short. There is a 15pin port on the front for accessory controllers though.
Personally, I like the design of the original and is why I have one.

Adding composite is pretty simple and places like console5 sell kits and have good instructions.
>>
>>3743623
thats fuckin sexy
do want
>>
My head says AV Famicom, my dick says Twin Famicom. Decisions are hard.
>>
>>3743623
>AV Famicom's the best. The only reason I can think of to use the original is if you need the mic on the 2nd pad.
You can mod a mic on any FC/NES controller if you have the know-how.
>>
>>3743623
In expansion audio games (such as Castlevania 3 Famicom and many FDS games), the extra sound channels is far louder than the audio from the standard Famicom audio channels.For these games, I'd recommend an AV-modded original or a twin Famicom. You can also fix the problem with a mod.

There is no definitive version of the Famicom/NES without modding. The closest model is the Famicom Titler, which has S-Video output, but even this model contains slightly muffled audio like the Twin Famicom. If you want to play some PAL games you must have a PAL system to play them at the correct speed, and if in the unlikely event you own Nintendo World Championships, that requires the lockout chip. For everything else (99% of games) there are pros and cons to each model.
>>
I have a ton of famicom games but I just play them on my NES. 60 to 72 pin adapters are cheap and snipping the 10NES chip is ridiculously easy. I don't know why more NES owners don't do this, it opens up a whole world of glorious (and cheap) famicom games that never left Japan. I guess people don't like the idea of somehow "defacing" a stock NES, even though the 10NES chip serves no beneficial function to anyone but 80's era Nintendo. I'm sure it's the same sort of people who don't want to snip the tabs in their SNES to play SFC stuff because muh collector's value.
>>
>>3743582
My famicom has composite video too. It has to, since I live in yurop and there's basically no way of getting an NTSC RF signal to display on any PAL screen. (Most AV inputs in NTSC display just fine on PAL TVs from the 90s and later, but NTSC RF does not)
>>
>>3743486
Congrats on butchering a game
>>
>>3743492
>>3744382
Not like it was worth anything. It went from being 100 yen junk bin fodder to something more interesting and more valuable.
>>
>>3745052
>something more interesting
How?
>valuable
No way, it's bootleg tier now.
>>
>>3745172
>How?
There are a thousand billion copies of FFIII sitting around in recycle shop junk bins. Those aren't interesting and no one cares about them. Now it's at least useful to people who need a translation but would like to play on original hardware. Such as the guy who made it.
>No way, it's bootleg tier now.
I'd be willing to bet he could sell it for at least $15 if he wanted to. So an order of magnitude more valuable than it used to be.
>>
I bought the game for $5 shipped. From Japan... I don't know what that equates to, but it is dirt cheap to go half way around the Earth.
It sat amongst many of its unplayed brethren.
Now it's getting used exactly as it was supposed to be. We're supposed to PLAY the games...not let them sit on a shelf.
If that means I have to pop open a game to do so, I will. Last year I opened a sealed copy of Ys for PC CD. I would do it again.
Wanna know something else? I'm burning an EPROM for a friend's copy of FF3 too.
Stupid collectards.
>>
>>3745291
You could have used a sports title.
>>
>>3745291
>We're supposed to PLAY the games...not let them sit on a shelf.

That's what everdrives and cheap Chinese bootlegs are for. There are very few reasons to deface real cartridges.
>>
>>3745307
There are also very few reasons not to, especially in this case where the game is essentially worthless. Why spend upwards of $100 on an Everdrive when you can get a real cart for a couple of bucks and use that? Hell, a Chinese bootleg would probably cost more, if they even bothered making one for FFIII.
>>
>>3745310
What is worthless today will carry an inflated price tag tomorrow. If you don't see any value in it other than hacking it up just leave it alone. We've come so far, we have incredible tools that allow us to play almost any rom on our consoles save for a select few. While you might need to do this to play Starfox 2 or rom hacks of snes games that use expansion chips on real hardware in this case it's just a waste. You can feel whatever way you want about it but nobody here is going to be impressed with your hack job garbage.
>>
>>3745307
>muh authentic video game preservation

>Just play flashcarts, IT JUST WERKS!

So you're for original hardware but also for using original carts?
>>
>>3745327
Use the muh meme and all the stock photos you need to make yourself feel better. You're just as cancerous to this hobby as gamestop is for destroying games or throwing them in the trash.
>>
>>3745324
I'm not even the guy who did it. I just don't see the problem. There are so many of the damn things in circulation that one or two aren't going to be missed. If he gets more enjoyment out of the game this way, more power to him. The only "waste" is a game that doesn't get played, such as all the FFIII carts rotting away forgotten in Japanese recycle shop bins because no one fucking wants them.
>>
>>3745329
I feel more like you're the cancerous person, trying to tell strangers over the internet what and what not to do with their own belongings.
>>
>>3745324
Something like FFIII will never garner a higher price, they're bargain bin fodder and the supply is way higher than the demand precisely because there isn't an English version of it.
>>
>>3745339
>they're bargain bin fodder
True.
>precisely because there isn't an English version of it
Totally unrelated.
>>
File: IMG_20170110_190446.jpg (1MB, 3242x1848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_190446.jpg
1MB, 3242x1848px
The guy that did it here again.
Explain to me how I "hacked up" the game? I desoldering the ROM chip. I placed it inside a chip case for storage. I inserted an EPROM with bent pins and rewired the pads without cutting any traces.
It is perfectly able to be restored to EXACTLY as it was if for some strange reason I wanted to do that or if every other bajillion copies of it dies inexplicably.
I did not make a game that is any different from what it was originally, aside from language. It still plays the same way. The shell is not defaced. The internals undamaged.
I will not be selling it. I'm not ruining rare games OR even eliminating sports titles.
I'm not supporting piracy.
Yet your all butt hurt over me playing a game instead of it going to the trash because "preservation".
Just stop. You're ridiculous.
>>
>>3745172
what >>3745176 said. It wouldn't have been worth hardly anything to an English speaker but now it is. If you rewrote original carts (especially RPGs) for SFC or FC with translations, you suddenly have a huge amount of people who wouldn't have bought the game before willing to pay for it. You can call it worthless or bootleg if you want but the fact is people would pay more for one with a translated ROM on it than they would for the original.
>>
>>3743492
>>3743525
>>3744382
>muh destroying carts maymay
literally retarded
>>
File: onv3.jpg (72KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
onv3.jpg
72KB, 300x400px
The inserts included with Otaku no Video have an interesting section divided into Society, Culture and "Otaku", where they include different important events from 1982 to 1984. Stuff like the Falkland War, the debut of the CD player, the release of the PC-98, and the release of the Famicom as well.
I always liked that little detail.
>>
File: onvi.jpg (1MB, 1856x1384px) Image search: [Google]
onvi.jpg
1MB, 1856x1384px
>>3746157
Meant to post this. Just scanned it myself since I couldn't find it online. This is from the DVD, but this was on the original LD release as well.
>>
>>3746017
These people can buy $9 bootleg at Aliexpress.
>>
>>3746157
>>3746159
Mah nigga. Otaku no video is choice.
>>
>>3743268
I want to get a disk system. Worth it if I only get it for one title?
>>
>>3746676
Just get a Chinese EverDrive or an FDSStick and a RAM Adapter. The original units are a pain to maintain and the disks themselves are all susceptible to being junk when you get them.
>>
>>3746173
But do those bootlegs have a battery to save? That's my only concern for famicom bootlegs
>>
>>3746707
You have to be diligent with the listings, some do some don't. But a lot of them do, and it's usually mentioned in the listing. Just reach out to the seller if you're unsure.
>>
>>3746692
I have an authentic everdrive, but the one game I want to play is Nazo no Murasame Jou but the sound is completely fucked up in the castle stages because the channels aren't coded right or someshit.
>>
>>3746720
ah yeah the FDS sound on the ED is garbage. FDS stick sounds like a good option for you though, and they're dirt cheap. The RAM adapter would probably cost more than the stick.
>>
>>3746728
>FDSStick

I didn't know this existed. Fantastic, thanks for the help!
>>
>>3746692
This is actually neat.
Thanks, guy.
>>
>>3746752
>>3747453
no problem, friends. just trying to spread the famicom love.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.