[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American arcade ports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: SANFRAN.jpg (165KB, 1279x480px) Image search: [Google]
SANFRAN.jpg
165KB, 1279x480px
Arcade vs N64 comparison picture
>>
>>3743161
the n64 version is actually playable, unlike the ps1 version.
>>
File: MACE.jpg (184KB, 1280x480px) Image search: [Google]
MACE.jpg
184KB, 1280x480px
Mace the Dark Age
>>
>>3743169
The N64 version is actually superior to the arcade, in that it can actually be overclocked to always run at a constant 30fps, whereas the arcade version of San Francisco Rush had notable slowdown problems especially on the advanced course where it would dip down to 20 or even 15fps. It's also generally the purest version of the game, actually utilizing the same physics and code from the Arcade version whereas every other port was a reprogramming from the ground up, yes even the rare PC voodoo card port.
>>
>>3743180
the pc port is somewhat buggy but i still love playing it for some reason
>>
>>3743197
I'd love playing it too if falling through the floor weren't such a common occurance, the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 port for all it's criticisms is actually my favorite version just because it actually now runs at 60fps, even though they botched the handling on the higher difficulty cars
>>
>>3743161
>20 fps vs 31fps

>>3743170
>28fps vs 31fps

n64 wins
>>
>>3743202
i forget if turning the frame limiter on/off makes it less buggy or not
>>
>>3743205
You have to force the game to run at 30fps or else it runs at super speed and even when you do you still get the aforementioned physics bugs that result in things like falling through the floor. It also completely failed to include any sort of link up multiplayer mode or force feedback which is a big sin in my eyes, but I'll give it a pass since it was never actually a game that was sold seperately.
>>
>>3743210
the force feeedback worked for me.
>>
>>3743217
It did? Huh. Was it well implemented like the arcade version?
>>
>>3743220
its been awhile, last time i played it was with a sidewinder forcefeedback joystick on 98 with a voodoo. the forces were decent.
>>
>>3743224
That sound rad anon! Maybe it's just one of those things that work better on an older version of windows, I'll have to try playing Rush The Rock on a virtual machine and see if that fixes the outstanding bugs.
>>
>>3743240
you have to manually press q on the keyboard to enable the forces

'Q' Keyboard: Toggle ForceFeedback, if applicable; requires a ForceFeedback device be identified to have any
affect
>>
>>3743204
Yes shockingly a lot of these voodoo card based arcade games had horrible framerates that were massively improved once they were ported on N64 hardware, Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey is another game that runs totally butter smooth on the 64 but is a choppy mess on the arcade, and it's even more egregious in that game because of how fast the puck can travel across the court
>>
>>3743248
N64 runs at lower resolution though right? 240p versus 480p.
>>
>>3743258
Yup, N64 arcade ports often ran at 240p and often letterboxed though this wasn't noticeable on a CRT set, that was the tradeoff for a better framerate. Although some voodoo based arcade boards had dipswitches to set them at 240 as well (to allow compatibility on low res 15khz monitor cabinets) so essentially in some cases the arcade version could be run at the same or a similar resolution as the N64 version, Gauntlet Legends and NFL Blitz were a few games that had such a resolution setting. Somewhat unrelated but Gauntlet Legends on the N64 is the only version of Gauntlet that doesn't have a hard 30fps cap so it can actually run at 60 all the time if it has the power.
>>
>>3743161
Make one for California Speed.
>>
File: rcp.png (252KB, 640x1800px) Image search: [Google]
rcp.png
252KB, 640x1800px
N64 actually had a better GPU than the Voodoo, but it was unfortunately held back by way less memory bandwidth
>>
>>3743260
The PCB was available in speeds from 144 mhz to 200 mhz depending on the title and was used in 10 known Atari and Midway console games.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_arcade.htm
>>
File: Gauntlet47463_front.jpg (89KB, 640x884px) Image search: [Google]
Gauntlet47463_front.jpg
89KB, 640x884px
What about ports of American games made by Japanese developers?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.