[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come we never created our own RPG using RPG Maker?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13

File: rpg-maker 95.jpg (76KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
rpg-maker 95.jpg
76KB, 640x481px
How come we never created our own RPG using RPG Maker?
>>
>>3740590
Because LoZ already did a dungeon in the shape of a swastika and now we're out of ideas.
>>
>>3740590

>Let's take a done-to-death concept and use a cookie cutter approach to make a rehash
>>
>>3740601
Hey, we could do it our way.

How about doing right what RPG Maker games usually get wrong? How about creating a serious game and not a meme-ridden Earthbound clone?

Music to inspire the anons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQ8bCZMA0k
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1D17E2697A873E7B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1lwrY7d94
Besides RPG Maker 95 we could use RPG Maker 1, 2 and 3 for Super Famicom or Playstation RPG Maker

Let's create, let's have some fun! I would gladly design the characters and maybe even create some sprites.
>>
Learn to code, homolord.
>>
>>3740610
>serious game
>jayperguer
>>
>>3740629
>implying it has to be a JRPG

Not him, but you seriously underestimate RPG Maker. In fact, the best games made in RPG Maker aren't even RPGs.
>>
>>3740648
I thought we were talking about RPG Maker 95, that shit didn't even allow to edit scripts.
>>
>>3740649
Did it really? As far as /vr/ related goes, I've only played the PSX version.
>>
File: 165000964.jpg (40KB, 299x384px) Image search: [Google]
165000964.jpg
40KB, 299x384px
Let's make one for Gameboy!
>>
>>3740648
Anons can't think outside the box.

We could start thinking about what we HATE on RPGs and how to avoid it, and how to create an interesting game with the RPG Maker 95 limits.
It would be like a challenge.

Or we could embrace the cliches and shat the worse RPG ever.
>>
I'm currently making one with main hero being literally /r9k/ + /a/. Not retro tho, not planing to release it before 1999.
>>
>>3740696
Just use a retro program.
>>
What about an RPG where you play "backwards"?

>See the ending
>Fight last boss at the beginning
>Go on reverse journey where you fight monsters to level down.
>Fight first boss at the end
>>
>>3740590
I feel like a /vr/ platformer or mario hack would turn out less shit.
>>
>>3740713
That sounds great, but where does the challenge come from?
>>
>>3740713
Okay. You've got a novel idea but you now need to suggest a way to make that idea actually fun, or it's getting flushed down right away.
>>
>>3740736
>>3740734

Maybe it starts off really easy because you're so overloaded with items/skills/levels but as it goes on and you lose more and more of it you have to strategize more since you can't just nuke things anymore.
>>
>>3740738
That is a good start, but many questions remain. For instance, how do you handle equipment? For what purpose would the player need to downgrade their stuff?

How would the player level down, even? Losing exp just from winning fights would not work, you'd just naturally avoid fighting.
>>
>>3740595
Fpbp
/thread
>>
>>3740742

Equipment has stat requirements, and when you level up you get to choose what gets downgraded. So it becomes a situation of picking what the best thing to lose is. You might want to hold onto your high strength as long as possible to keep using the legendary sword, but eventually you'll have to give it up and move downward. Eventually late game boss fights will come down to what stats and skills you chose to keep compared to what you got rid of.

As for exp I'm not sure, I figured you'd just level down after each major boss fight but without EXP there's not much incentive to fight things to begin with. Maybe there are no random battles and you have to kill everything in a room to proceed.
>>
>>3740752
>and when you level up you get to choose what gets downgraded.
I don't know about that. No matter what you do there'd be a useless dump stat that would be the obvious thing to get rid of first. Having choices is a good thing, but I think giving the player no control over how their stats and skills degrade would be the only way to stop the game becoming FF8-tier breakable.

>I figured you'd just level down after each major boss fight
Hmm. Something about that idea kind of rubs me the wrong way, I can't really put into words why I don't like it. But that's just me.

This idea is starting to take shape, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.
>>
>>3740752
How about instead, the final boss curses the main hero with a disease that slowly kills him? Like a malaria of sorts.

Just throwing that idea out there.
>>
>>3740590
I would rather make my own first person dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3740781
Plot points are all well and good, but ya gotta think about how it translates to gameplay. The core of game ideas is how they affect the player. Once you come up with cool gimmicks then you can explain them.

Trust me, I'm a game genie.
>>
>>3740779

What I was more thinking with choosing what to lose is having everything as a skill. So you'd have a bunch of skills in your list, some would be attacks, some would be passive things like "Increase HP by 25%" and you'd have to pick one each time you leveled down to get rid of. Of course at the start it's going to be easier since you'll have some stuff that's not nearly as useful, but as it goes further and further you're going to be hurting when you have to get rid of important skills/stats. Especially if you fuck with the player and only put status inflicting bosses near the end so they can't get rid of all their poison healing and resisting abilities in favor of better things.

Of course the player needs to retain some of these skills by the final boss fight so it's not a case where your only option is to just use normal attack and any healing items you've got.
>>
>>3740787
>Especially if you fuck with the player and only put status inflicting bosses near the end so they can't get rid of all their poison healing and resisting abilities in favor of better things.
Hah, not bad.
>>
>>3740595
It's a manji, not a swastika
>>
alright here's an idea

an rpg where you fight against leftist scum to save lord trump from super mega ultra Saddam Hussein Obama
>>
>>3741142
Solid idea. Can I give free helicopter rides to gay """people""" in this game?
>>
>>3740590
Too many cooks fuck up everything
>>
>>3741154
you can give helicopter rides to whoever you want to, anon
>>
How come you never installed a 6502 assembler on your DOS PC and made your own NES game?
>>
>>3740590
how come you never took up masoning and buildt yourself a castle?
>>
>>3740629
Stop hating on JPEGs
>>
>>3740742
>I'm going to apply everything I learned from Final Fantasy to something completely different
>>
back in 2006 theres a site gamingw.net where users could post and download rpgs made from rpgmaker. I played tons of memorable fan-made rpgs from that site.

the site is different/owner/purpose now
>>
>>3741170
NES is too popular. We should program for Saturn.
>>
>game with a high fantasy setting with present-day tech never
Shadowrun is cyberpunk, Arcanum is steampunk, both are falling short.
>>
>>3740590
Who are WE? RPGmaker community never really died, even after UNITY engine became a maymay.
>>3740820
Desu. RPG maker fags are all weebs
>>
RPG Maker is only good for h-games, and it's shit at it
>>
>>3741410
FFVI is steampunk. FFVII is gaycyberpunk. FFVIII is trainpunk. FFX/++ is how many androgyns can we put into them for our faggot fans?

I'll say they're quite modern if you're a massive faggot.
>>
>>3741429
There're scripts for various combat systems.
>>
>>3741426

Says the guy who just fucking said "Desu".
>>
>>3741435
t b h filters to it, newfag

>>3741426
can confirm that rpgmaker and various offshoots are still extremely popular, especially with nips.
https://freegame-mugen.jp/grandprix_2015.html
look at this shit for instance, half of the games in here are made with rpgmaker or wolfrpg. they just use it for fucking everything because unity and the like isn't quite popular enough over there.
>>
All the good versions of RPG Maker aren't /vr/
>>
I think it'd be cool if we made an RPG with stuff like this as the "OST"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYSrlygyhi4
>>
>>3740742
>>3740752
>>3740779
You're a Conan-style adventuring barbarian who is growing old and weak, and wants to retire. You still have to fight your way to the little shack you plan to settle down in, while aging takes its toll.
>>
>>3741435
Daily reminder that putting the letters "t b h" ("To be honest") together gets replaced by "Desu" automatically once the post is sent, retard.
>>
>>3741687
>"t.b.h" is now wordfiltered
What's next? Penis? imo? Multi-bottle rocket? cuck?
>>
>>3740590
I always get distracted modding it and never produce a game.

For instance now I have clothes changing layered characters.

they can also do actions like punch.

But drawing all the frames and keeping the layers straight and sticking them in the right places is a pain. So I am writing a pixi based Gimp replacement designed specifically for RPG Maker MV that will let me test out the animations etc.

Also I can't draw.

Anyway although this shit works ( I can equip shirts and all clothes/armor and interchange them between characters; and I tested out punch, now I am still not creating a game because I am writing a tool to create games. By the time I finish this in my spare time, RPGMaker will be on to the next version and I will have lost interest.

Will probably never make a game
>>
>>3741463
The japs know how to have fun with limited engines. Here people are using UE4 for NES-like games.

>>3741676
That would be cool. We haven't enough barbarian games.
>>
>>3741701
actually, most of those were filtered a little over a year ago if I recall correctly.

I actually kinda want filters back for cuck, senpai, baka, and kek. It was funny.
>>
>>3741731
Shaking my damn head lol it looks like the filters are still in effect, except for cuck. Please, Hiro, filter it again!
>>
How about a South American/Latin setting? We need more Latin America games.

For the artstyle, how about using black & white Game Boy graphics?
>>
>>3740742
Enchanted weapons with a limited charge.
>>
File: Fates_of_Alerha_Compilation[1].png (496KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fates_of_Alerha_Compilation[1].png
496KB, 640x480px
Well, I have plenty of experience with RPG Maker and I can give you guys some tips and pointers.

1: There are two "mainstream" RPG Makers right now. VX Ace and MV.
Both develop for PC, MV can also develop for Android.
VX Ace has more ready-made script support but MV has built-in mouse support.
MV has a higher resolution by default but VXAce's resolution can also be changed with a script.
If you're REALLY old school you can make FF6-like RPG with RPG Maker 2003, though there is only one battle system allowed for it and it only accepts MIDI files for music.

2: Scripts are king. Most retards think RPG maker is weak and worthless but with enough coding knowledge you can create RGSS scripts that let you do basically anything you want on the program. From action-based battle systems to fucking fighting games, if you can script, you can do anything.

3: Open your mind. RPG Maker is NOT limited to Japanese-styled RPGs. With enough elbow grease and a healthy knowledge of variables and switches you can absolutely, 100% make something akin to baldur's gate or even Planescape Torment, right down to character creation.

4: Just be creative. I'm sure you fellas have lots of ideas rumbling around your head and any one of them can be the next big thing. LISA was made in RPG maker and Undertale was almost made in RPG Maker too.

You are only limited by the amount of effort you guys are willing to put in, but STAY FOCUSED and DON'T BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW.
For all its capabilities RPG maker isn't a miracle machine so don't try to make DQ 8 on it. Most you can do is an isometric SRPG or a First Person Dungeon Crawler.
>>
File: Cm6z2Sd[1].png (306KB, 550x444px) Image search: [Google]
Cm6z2Sd[1].png
306KB, 550x444px
Example of the Isometric 3D script.
>>
File: FPLE[1].png (534KB, 646x505px) Image search: [Google]
FPLE[1].png
534KB, 646x505px
Example of the First Person script.
>>
>>3740742
If you knew how RPG Maker works you'd know that you can set stats for each level, even decreasing ones, and even parabolic curves with increasing or decreasing speeds, just by leveling naturally.
>>
>>3742717
I do know exactly that. That has nothing to do with my post, however. Equipment is a pretty important part of RPG'ing and removing that results in a boring game.
>>
>>3740590
I'll help, I'm an idea guy :^)
>>
>>3740590
the good rpgmakers are not retro, and most people here don't have the skill required to make a good game, or any unique gameplay ideas to make it stand out (and if they did they wouldn't share them)
>>
>>3740751
Kill yourself
>>
>>3740738
that"s a very good idea. i wonder if it has been done before
>>
Making a joint project is very easy in this day and age. All you guys have to do is set up a common dropbox to put all the assets in, first and foremost.
Set up a steam group or any other kind of semi-anonymous group chat for constant project updaes but here's the kicker, you're going to need ONE programmer/dude that actually makes the game.
It's a pain in the ass to transfer maps, events and even system information from one project to another so it should all be made first and foremost on ONE project folder.
Also don't feel married to any one idea from the start. Shop around for settings, plots and systems and only go with something everyone feels good about.

Check youtube for RPG maker battle systems for a start, there's a few lists there for you guys.
>>
So has anyone already decided on something?
>>
>>3740613
RPGMaker 2003 is 'retro' and would literally be 16bit era SNES style, including side-view sprites.
>>
>>3743740
Would anyone be interested in a Discord group for us to use?
>>
>>3741194
rpgmaker.net is where people stick their stuff now.
>>
File: Big_3cba51_6146680.jpg (117KB, 900x831px) Image search: [Google]
Big_3cba51_6146680.jpg
117KB, 900x831px
Sorry, I have my own idea, I am currently researching making a 2D Resident Evil/Silent Hill style survival horror game based around Star Trek in RPG Maker.
>>
>>3740590
Because I'd need to write a non shitty story. I'd also need to rework graphics entirely to a non shit fantasy setting. I'd also need to rework battle systems so it's not fucking terrible.
I might as well just work on making my own game at that rate.
>>
>>3740678
I wanna do this.
>>
>>3741676
There it is. I love it - all these games are about heroes reaching their prime, well how about a hero passing it and reaching old age?

If someone else doesn't make this I will.
>>
>>3744839
Are you going with 8472 or the Iconians as the main baddies? Or the species in TNG that kidnapped people from off the ship?
>>
File: wat2.png (795KB, 921x546px) Image search: [Google]
wat2.png
795KB, 921x546px
Sounds pretty fun OP.

I hate pixel art though. Creating it I mean. It always gives me a headache.
>>
>>3741194
gamingw.net was my first internet forum.

Good times.
>>
>>3742702
Thanks for the tips,
>>
File: 1471644316163.jpg (512KB, 1536x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1471644316163.jpg
512KB, 1536x1169px
>>3740590

Literally read this post as:
How come we never created our own RPG Maker

because my mind instantly jumps to "rpg maker sucks"

So why the fuck havent we made our own RPG Maker, like the kinda thing that can make actual good shit.

> leave unity and gamemaker out of this, we're talking about something an autist can use as well as doesnt deal with the stupid "rooms" setup
>>
>>3746202
Because designing a modular engine that runs efficiently, can be used easily by any mouthbreather, and is highly flexible in the hands of somebody competent is actually pretty damn hard.
It doesn't help that most people who know their shit are capable of using engines that aren't plug-n-play so there's no real financial incentive to make an all-ages engine that can do good work.
>>
Only RPG Maker games I ever made included lots of bad language, sex and lots of dicks. I also made all the npcs retarded. But if its /vr/ related it needs Tre/vr/ and other characters like Australia-kun. I dont know how far that /vr/ pokemon mod got. But an easy way to start this would be to just steal their art.
>>
>>3740742
Warcraft Frozen Throne undead campaign had similar feature - being that empowered main hero(Ner'Zhul) was getting weaker and every level hero(Arthas) was weaker and weaker.
>>
I made an OHR game a long time ago
>>
>>3743374
We're all ideas guys. We need someone who's NOT a useless piece of shit.
>>
File: listening to this shit.jpg (120KB, 456x337px) Image search: [Google]
listening to this shit.jpg
120KB, 456x337px
>>3746208

> financial incentive

This is about furthering creative potential and adding to our culture. You can make some money in the process but things like this are kinda-sorta something that.

Somebody has to bite the bullet somewhere otherwise nobody advances, faster than a worm anyway. (and we call ourselves intelligent)

This is why we dont have full blown shit "any mouthbreather" can use to make [actual programs] with by now, even though we're now firmly 20 years into the refinement of our computing capabilities. Let alone games . . . we should have what im talking about for just about anything.

>I say 20 because before that we had excuses and hardware was kinda limited

> plugging libraries into a program isnt the same, and you still got to re-invent the wheel in alot of cases

> and the libraries are usually bloated and have to be loaded all at once to be used rather than separated into pieces for just what you're wanting to use

> t. Adobe Flash and other infamy

im not saying communism, im saying buckminster fuller

you make this kinda shit early on from the get go, get it running gud, then its a foundation for everybody to go even further from
>>
>>3747093
I would do it if /vr/ had good ideas. But using RPG Maker 95, as I want to keep it really retro.

The limits are part of the challenge.
>>
What version of RPG Maker should I use if I don't want to spend a lot of money, and how do you make the game into something playable on other computers, if that makes sense?
>>
>>3750879
>What version of RPG Maker should I use if I don't want to spend a lot of money,
A pirated one.
>>
>>3740713
Too gimmicky.
>>
>>3748503
What would you suggest? I might be able to whip up something, but I don't know if it could compete with RPG Maker.
What are things about RPG Maker that one should avoid?
>>
daily reminder about easy rpg.
>>
>>3740595
Kek
>>
>>3751703
>What are things about RPG Maker that one should avoid?

If you want to compete with RPG Maker, you need to be more flexible than it.
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that RPG Maker only has one type of gameplay/combat without third-party script assistance. If you can find a way to make a very simple plug-and-play method for the user to develop their very own unique combat system(s), it'd be a great start.
>>
>>3742153
This would be interesting. I'm getting tired of the steampunk, sci-fi, and medieval European fantasy settings.
>>
>>3743382
>unique gameplay ideas to make it stand out (and if they did they wouldn't share them)

Lol, those paranoid people who think they'll make it big with their "unique" ideas. So secretive they are with them that they keep their ideas on paper under lock and key.
>>
>>3754594
You can do some awesome shit with the default system though. Look at Final Fantasy Endless Nova, that shows a lot of RM2K's potential
>>
>>3754645
Yes, of course. What I'm saying is to be more flexible than that. As one of the earlier posts said, it's not an easy venture.
>>
>>3754649
After taking a look at RPG Maker's scripting language, I think you're better of creating a RPG from scratch using a programming language of your choice if you need to do extensive customization.
>>
>>3740742
>How would the player level down, even? Losing exp just from winning fights would not work, you'd just naturally avoid fighting.

After you kill the final boss, his curse causes reality to start breaking down. Using the last of your magical powers, you have to time travel back through your previous adventures by casting your mind to inhabit you former younger self to find out where you fucked up and fix it before the universe goes kaput.
>>
>>3740742
Divide the games in chapters. You get weaker each chapter.

At the beginning you just defeated a fucking powerful demonic overlord and you are tired, fucked up and fed up with all the fighting, conquering and running your kingdom. You are now after a resting place and you go on you final journey, back where you were born decades ago and never went back.
>>
>>3747093
I'd do it right now if we wanted to go with this >>3741676 idea, and if we used RPG Maker 95-2003.
>>
>>3754830
are you serious?
>>
>>3754830
that's wrong. i made an ARPG in rpg maker's scripting language and it worked fine.
>>
>>3743164
>I don't know shit about games so I'm just going to say "It's different and that makes it bad ablobloobloo"
>>
File: xp.jpg (365KB, 1408x841px) Image search: [Google]
xp.jpg
365KB, 1408x841px
whoo arr pee gee maker!
>>
File: VD3D2.jpg (468KB, 1359x1048px) Image search: [Google]
VD3D2.jpg
468KB, 1359x1048px
>>3742709
you can do some wierd shit with rpgmaker
>>
>>3756350
That's some Etrian Odyssey shit right there.
>>
Am I the only person who's stuck with RPG2000 for the last 16 years
>>
>>3740601
What is that even supposed to mean
>>
>>3740590
i dunno why
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.