[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats so great about mgs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: mgs.jpg (67KB, 640x750px) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
67KB, 640x750px
i've been digging through some best games of all time lists for different consoles, more recently one for the ps1. i always seem to stumble across some mgs game in the top 10 and i wonder, what makes these games so great? i've never played any of them since i dont really like stealth games and the whole military base setting just doesn't appeal to me. Is it just that good that someone like me could still have fun with it?
>>
>>3739636
"Best Gaems of Ol' Tiem" lists should be taken with a grain of salt. Their logic is usually "best = best-sellers".

That said, MGS is not an overhyped title. It's a really captivating stealth action game with a refined and pretty advanced gameplay. But even more than that, it has a very impressive and complex story which is communicated through movie-like cutscenes. That set a precedent in video games, and while many tried to emulate Kojima (see: Western cancer games from 2005 onward), few really approched MGS in quality and cohesiveness of that merger of a movie and a game.
>>
Metal Gear Solid tends to be pretty immersive as a matter of game design and requiring the player to do things outside of the program that is running on the console. It also usually has more than one way to achieve some goal or other, and pays a fair amount of attention to small details, like the ability to catch a cold and such.
>>
>>3739636
>>3739676
this basically

Also the graphics and textures were Superb for the time, it reminds me of the quality of Silent Hill 1 - even if the resolution is lower it has the proper level of grime, grit, and industry.

Not some cheesy thing that got churned out by a texture generator or pixel art.
> MGS... a good game... really?

I did like some of the puzzles, and the boss battles were innovative.

But big boss says these clone troopers have an IQ of 180 but at the same time they act so stupid and are practically walking around looking through a magnifying glass at the ground.

Also killing dudes doesnt get rid of them strangely. And if the clone troops were actually smart they would keep flooding an area and rienforce it after you raised an alert

> which should be dudes actually in other rooms so that way you can get them to rush somewhere, and lower their presence at another place you need to get through.

Everything about Revolver Ocelot is wrong (just in general). If he had a custom Hellboy kinda revolver and was shooting through scenery anything short of a steel I-beam id find that more acceptable. Which would make his name more fitting as he'd have a much more custom weapon that can do things a normal one cant.

And if you dont get in the truck right at the very beginning (which isnt entirely necessary so its not obvious) to get the Thermal Goggles you can write your ass off against the boss 3 levels down the line.
> my first two playthroughs ended up that way until I looked at a walkthrough... that Truck at the start of the game... I never even got into it before that.

All in all alot of problems and suggestive of linear gameplay, you've got to play it a certain way.
>>
>>3739636
why don't you just fucking play it and find out
>>
>>3739636

Not really.
MGS is hardly even a stealth game anyway, it's just kind of a mediocre action game.
Go play it. You'll be done in 5 hours. And then you'll understand why modern games are so shit.
>>
>>3739636

MGS is not some typical tacticool military game. You really just need to play it and find out. There aren't many things like it.
>>
>>3739636
http://www.metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs1_obscured2.html

If you don't care about spoilers read this
>>
>>3741612
You HAD to ruin this thread don't you ?
Please don't be "this guy" again.
Cut your hateboner, and don't go on threads about games you don't like.
>>
People who don't like MGS are not worth associating with
>>
>>3739636
MGS is a weird one, the whole series.

It's a strange missmatch of Japanese and western culture, both in terms of gameplay and presentation. It was also one of the first games that did "cinematic" games well.

But it's not just some cancer interactive movie, it has too many cutscenes, but it's also fantastic at messing with player's expectations, and uses the fact that it is a videogame to it's advantage. Helps that it knew it's audience.

The first 3 games of the series all share this characteristic and are IMO one of the holy trinities of gaming, the later games are a bit off because Kojimeme was already done with the series by MGS2 but was forced to keep them going.
>>
it's kinda a gimmicky game
you can hide in a cardboard box and shieet
only real challenge is figuring out the controls
>>
>>3743662
>the later games are a bit off because Kojimeme was already done with the series by MGS2 but was forced to keep them going.

You can tell how Kojima intended Metal Gear Solid 2 to be the grand finale with that cluster fuck of a meta ending.
>>
>>3743697
I wonder what kind of autism you must have to find the controls hard and the rest of the game easy.
>>
>>3743702
Yes, MGS2 is where he would of have ended it.

Tho admitelly i'm glad he didn't. As my favorite game of the series is Peace Walker, and everyone loves MGS3 the most.
>>
Can the Raspberry connect to SCART (RGB) or is an adapter needed?
>>
>>3743717
I thought the first Solid is the one people liked the most. It was sucessful enough to be translated and dubbed officially in English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish, which ia landmark given the amount of voices and text in the game.
>>
>>3745778
I almost always hear MGS3, some people do say 1 but I hear way more people say 3 is the best. No matter their country of origin.

Also the spanish dub of MGS1 is the objectively best version
>>
>>3739636

MGS is fucking good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't usually like military themed games.
Play it now.
MGS2 and 3 are also excellent.
>>
>>3746046
I played that once after a friend kept saying how great it was, but as always I couldn't take the Spain accents seriously.

Speaking of which, the MGS english dubs are probably the only videogame dubs I like.
>>
>>3746160
This.
Play them and play them in order to appreciate the way each game builds upon the one before it.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (12KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
12KB, 225x224px
>>3746046
>3 the best
Umm excuse me sweetie :p
>>
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but my favorite was Portable Ops.
It was like a fun party game to freely mess around in the engine of the PS2 games.
>>
>>3743662

>done by MGS2

MGS3 is Kojimoo's perfect vision of MGS, Big Boss is his favorite Snake.
>>
>>3746450
3 is fucking stupid though
Patricians choice is 1
>>
>>3746182
VR Missions a best.
>>
I've been hoping to start a MGS marahon soon. But I have one doubt:

Should I start with the ps1 or the gcn remake? What are the differences between them?
>>
>>3739817
>that Truck at the start of the game

In the demos, that truck had Nikita missiles in it, so after seeing that, checking the truck was a no brainer
>>
>>3746496
For the love of God, just play the original.

No, I don't say this because of the 'shit voices', or the 'shit cutscenes'...I say this because if you want ANY semblance of a challenge at all, you will not go for the game that took the MGS2 controls, put them in the MGS1 game, and changed nothing else.

Basically, if you want pants-on-head retard difficulty, go with Twin Snakes. If you want to at least have a CHANCE at screwing up and dying, play the original.
>>
>>3746496
different voice actors, matrix style cutscenes, new moves taken from MGS2, smarter enemies (by mgs standards).
if you've played niether before, defo recommend ps1 version. gc is worth checking out, but inferior imo.
>>3746203
i played that alot being a big fan of the psp, i remember some decent characters, but moreso the colour brown. decent game at the time, but i dont think i'll ever play it again.
check out ac!d 2 if you've not tried it, fun game.

>>3743662
>>3743609
I have extremely fond memories of MGS1, there was nothing else like it at the time.
I think whats particularly great about it is the depth in it's storyline, and the mature nature of it.
It's a bit of a meme to praise kojima's story writing skills these days, what with the somewhat mess the later games did, (ie: 4+ 5), but at the time there was really nothing like it.
This might sound like a silly point, but i remember Baker talking about how many pounds of MUF there are reported each year (material unaccounted for), Miller telling you how to move your feet as quietly as possible, Vulcan Raven telling you about the ear pulling contest in Alaska.
All that dialogue i found really interesting, and thought provoking. I was a kid at the time, and didnt know anything about nuclear waste.
i was too busy worrying about bowser taking over the mushroom kingdom, or trying to defeat robotnik and his animal robots.
i guess what i'm trying to say is that the game really opened my eyes. i can't put it any better than that.
and when the fantasy elements do come into play, like gray fox, psycho mantis, ravens crows, it makes it stick with you that much more.

MGS2 does a similar thing, but it's subjects are alot more complicated and abstract, but also true nonetheless.

In terms of story telling, and thematic content the games are masterful (imo).
3 is equally brilliant, but has an easier to digest storyline. (not that i'm complaining).

TLDR: mgs is interesting as fuck.
>>
>>3741612
>5 hours
Yeah if you skip the movie parts.
You're looking at about 15h on a first run watching all the cutscenes and codecs.
>>
>>3746496
The only thing better about Twin Snakes is the voice acting, and the sounds. I'd love a patch for the pc/ps1 version to include this shit but most people will disagree that the voice acting is better due to Mei Lings Chinese accent being dropped.
>>
>>3739636
Overrated trash. Story - generic tumblerina fanfiction + some "mature" 13yold edgelord "revelations". Gameplay - laughable, but gimmicks distract from it. Series as whole ruined game industry forever (fucking storytelling and """""cinematic""""" canser).
>>
File: 1456723003185.png (142KB, 421x388px) Image search: [Google]
1456723003185.png
142KB, 421x388px
>>3747278
What are you favorite ps1 games?
>>
>>3741612
I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to enjoy good games
>>
>>3747357
WAS THIS GUY JUST AUTISTIC? come to think of it all the people in OOT seem autistic
>>
>>3747370
Nintendo knows their audience well.
>>
>>3739817
you get the SOCOM in the truck newfriend
the goggles are on the second floor of the tank hangar
>>
>>3746584
>and the sounds

I prefer the music from the original but the Game Cube remixes are no slouch.
>>
>>3746584
>better voice acting in twin snakes
What the fuck, I never thought anyone could hold this opinion
>>
>>3747278
Glad someone said it so I don't have to.
>>
>>3739636
I recently played it for the first time, and I don't understand the deal. It was okay, but not Top 10ish. The story which is built up ist just too confusing and so many characters inside that you start to lose track halfway through.
>>
>>3748287
It's one of those games that you had to be there to appreciate. I mean, the plot of MGS1 was basically just a PG-13 rated episode of the old G.I. Joe cartoon, but it was well-written compared to other action games released at the time.
>>
>>3739636

Metal Gear is about one eccentric auteur wrestling with his love of western war movies while growing up in a nation ravaged by war. Seeing our culture reflected back through the eyes of a Japanese man with 100% creative control over his games is fascinating. Throw in some revolutionary game design and impressive visuals, and Metal Gear Solid is a masterpiece. What's even more incredible is that MGS2 and 3 are somehow even better.
>>
>>3747370
I just finished OOT and looking back i think the only non-autist was Zelda. She's naive but not autistic.
>>
>>3747278
As a game Metal Gear is pretty bad, but no worse than 99% of modern "games". And when I say game my definition of a game is Chess, football, Street Fighter II, Tetrist, etc. I don't mean "digital media that we now call games".

However, as a piece of digital entertainment Metal Gear is the video game equivalent of a fantastic B-movie, maybe the greatest ever.

It is definitely worth a play just for the experience and don't worry if you are expecting some sort of tacti-cool "muh hardcore" military type of game it is definitely not that.

Imagine if you took Rambo, mixed it with a sci-fi film and a western, and had it all written by the smartest anime fan fiction edge lord ever.
>>
>>3748383
Did he really get 100% creative control?
>>
>>3739636
classical unity
1 plot
1 place
1 time
>>
>>3746496
Play PS1 first then try out GCN around the same time you do the wacky sidemissions from MGS2: Substance

Also play MG1 and 2 if you get the chance to.
>>
>>3748465
>Metal Gear is the video game equivalent of a fantastic B-movie

Slight off-topic but Snake's Revenge would've made an excellent retrowave/80's action flick.
>>
>>3751083
>retrowave
>>
>>3751083
It's retro synthwave fucking dickhead
>>
>>3739636
I dont like it
>>
>>3743662
>to it's advantage
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.