[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best 2D Metal Gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 5150_front.jpg (59KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
5150_front.jpg
59KB, 500x574px
Is this the best 2D Metal Gear?
>>
>>3738823
Probably.
>>
File: metalgear2.jpg (27KB, 312x421px) Image search: [Google]
metalgear2.jpg
27KB, 312x421px
>>3738823
Nope.
>>
>>3738823
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>3738823

I liked phantom pain despite all the h8
>>
>>3738992
Are you just that stupid?

>2D
>retro board
>liking MGS past 2003
>>
>>3738823
It's either that one or 2 on MSX, I'd wager.
>>
>>3738938
This %10000
>>
>>3738823

This or MG2 is the best Metal Gear in general.
>>
>>3738823
2d era sucks... metal gear 3 was the best easily
>>
GB>2>Snake's Revenge>1(MSX)>1(NES)
>>
>>3739326

there is no "Metal Gear 3". If you mean Metal Gear Solid 3, you should go to /v/ and talk about it.
>>
>>3739334

1 NES > 2 > GB > 1 MSX > SR
>>
>>3739340
NES 1 isn't really a bad game, just feels a bit unpolished because it was made in just 3 months, but it's still worth playing if you like 2D MG, it's different enough from the MSX version. It definitely gets more hate than it deserves due to "kojima didn't like it".
But do you really think it's better than all the other ones? If so, why?
>>
>>3738823
Why is there Ghost Babe I and no Ghost Babe II? Who's Ghost Babe anyway
>>
>>3739603
well played
>>
Is Snake's Revenge legitimately bad or is it dismissed simply because it's not canon?
>>
>>3740587
It's not bad at all, and it was developed by the Castlevania team. Even Kojima liked it.
>>
>>3739341
>But do you really think it's better than all the other ones? If so, why?

yes, because it's the one I grew up with. (I know MSX is better)
>>
File: CEVatWhUsAENsfg.jpg orig.jpg (1001KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CEVatWhUsAENsfg.jpg orig.jpg
1001KB, 3264x2448px
>>3740587
Latter. Not many people hated on Snake's Revenge until MGS1 came out. When people learned about the MSX2 versions from rags and such, they automatically assume Snake's Revenge was bad because we got that instead of the proper Metal Gear 2.

The game is not without its legit flaws though. The overall structure of SR is pretty linear compared to the other 2D MGs, with very little focus on exploration and backtacking, plus too much points of no return. Like if you miss out on the mine detector before sinking the ship, you're fucked when you reach the next area since it takes placed in a mined desert base and they don't even tell you about it (the game has too many gotcha moments like that). It doesn't help that your support crew are completely useless in this game.

Still the OST is God-tier and despite all the claims about being more "action-oriented", it's actually more stealth-focused compared to the first NES Metal Gear, which was broken as hell when it came to its stealth mechanics. SR actually does a better job of emulating the stealth mechanics of the first MSX Metal Gear than the actual NES version of the first game (e.g. it actually has double exclamation marks alert).
>>
>>3738823
No, but it has the best game mechanics. A really good romhack of it could be made into a better game than MG2.
>>
>>3739335
>"Solid" is another way to say 3
>Metal Gear Solid is in fact Metal Gear 3
>Which is totally /vr/
>>
>>3740671
>SR actually does a better job of emulating the stealth mechanics of the first MSX Metal Gear than the actual NES version of the first game

Especially because unlike the NES game, punching people instead of liberally shooting them, gives you random ration and ammo drops.
>>
File: IMG_3386.jpg (73KB, 444x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3386.jpg
73KB, 444x630px
>>
>>3738823

No, because of that horrible conveyor belt level
>>
>>3738823
Pretty much. Though there was still room for improvement.
>>
>>3748578
It is not that hard.
>>
>>3749153
What could you improve on this game?
>>
>>3738823
On gbc???
>>
>>3753250
Indeed.
>>
>>3740671
>Still the OST is God-tier
True, it has what I think is THE best metal gear theme of all. This one should have been used in later entries in the series somehow. It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKjNOcjDXY
>>
File: pocket_power035.jpg (939KB, 1400x1866px) Image search: [Google]
pocket_power035.jpg
939KB, 1400x1866px
>>3753552
I'm waiting for Project EGG to release an OST of the 8-bit Metal Gears, like they did with Contra and Castlevania.

On topic: I remember reviews for Snake's Revenge in magazines like Game Players, EGM and GamePro were pretty positive, considering nobody in 'murricah knew what an MSX was or who the hell Kojima was (he was barely known in Japan as it was). It helped that the only version of Metal Gear 1 the west was familiar with was the NES one, since the MSX2 was pretty niche in Europe.
>>
>>3740671
Ok, note though, since I've seen people complain about 'unfair' difficulty level of puzzles in Snake's Revenge, Simon's Quest et cetera - it's important to remember that they are action ADVENTURE games, and as such their puzzles reflect status of adventure games of the time, stuff like Infocom and Sierra. Back then, having prohibitively obscure puzzles was the norm, just like grinding was norm in RPGs of the time (which is why it's part of all action RPGs released back then). Same with "wall licking" secrets in Wolf3D and first Metroid.

It became known as 'bad design' when videogame market started to expand, games gotten cheaper and people wanted to spend less time on each game.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.