[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age of Wonders thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: age-of-Wonders-mac-screenshot-1.jpg (126KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
age-of-Wonders-mac-screenshot-1.jpg
126KB, 640x480px
>be 12 in 1999
>get a CD from PC Gamer containing the AoW demo
>Fall in love instantly

Who here loves AoW? I play contemporary games but usually end up playing some good old AoW singleplayer (mostly custom scenarios). Never had much of a chance to play AoW against others, except my best friend.

Any of you wanna play online?
>>
>>3736402
I've never played it, I was too busy with Heroes of Might and Magic III. Might have to take a peek, though.
>>
>>3736407
I myself never gave Heroes of Might and Magic III a shot, even though it inspired AoW. I'm definitely gonna check it out now that I'm in the mood.
>>
>>3736409
It has a pretty huge following, even here on /vr/ as I'm sure you're well aware.
Get the complete edition, have a go and avoid the HD remake.
Maybe use the widescreen patch and WoG once you're comfy.
>>
>>3736409
pastebin in HoMM general has a link to the game and everything you need for it
>>
Me too, I really loved AOW.

I really liked the midi music
>>
I actually just played this for the first time with a buddy of mine. me being the adventurous type tried going through a dungeon too early with a party of two and got my ass handed to me. Seems pretty fun from what I've played.
>>
>>3736598
My friend has a solo electronic/ambient project and contacted the dude who did the soundtrack for a cover. The guy was down but doesn't own the rights to okay that unfortunately.
>>
How is this different from the later games?
>>
Who Clouds and Feuds here?
>>3736610
PROTIP:If you click on auto combat with a battering ram only you'll see exactly you're facing without taking any losses.
>>3736638
That can't put down new cities affects the game balance, as does spells being cast from a radius around the caster, instead of one from a tower. The biggest difference is with the scale though. In AOW 1 the maps are generally larger, and the battle maps are much,much larger so that makes it more a game about moving armies about, instead of just impossibly strong stacks of God units.
>>
>>3736402
One of my favourites. Only played it a few years ago for the first time but it's just bursting with charm and atmosphere. Gameplay still holds up today and I love coming back for a game every now and then. Love the soundtrack. Recently played the most recent one and have really enjoyed it. I like how they didn't deviate from the formula but only improved on it.
>>
I bought AoE2 one time but couldn't figure out the mechanics of the game. Seemed too complex for its own good.
>>
>>3737010
Complex yes, but it's easy to understand the basic mechanics if you've ever played a similar game before (HoMM, Civ, Disciples, Master of Magic).
It even has a tutorial campaign that teaches you everything you need.

I've never played the original but Shadow Magic is the essential fantasy strategy game for me because it takes pretty much every feature from the games it's based on: tons of spells and units with fun interactions (charm opposite genders, unit size mechanics, elements, etc), different races, hero units with equipment, town building, great tactical combat, great visuals, ...
It's just awesome.
>>
>>3737010
seems you are too simple for your own good
>>
>>3736996
> I like how they didn't deviate from the formula but only improved on it.
Technically they returned to it. AOW 2 was an abomination.
>>
File: werewolf[1].gif (13KB, 103x128px) Image search: [Google]
werewolf[1].gif
13KB, 103x128px
I love this game, maybe the first strategy game i played on computer. The music, the graphics, the factions stolen from warhammer ... But i never finished the campaign, too difficult for me actually.

Favourite faction? Favourite Unit?
- Lizards
- Incarnate
>>
>>3737620
Haven't played much but I'm a sucker for orcs and had the kingly looking orc fella as my portrait.
>>
File: U_Reaper.gif (8KB, 103x128px) Image search: [Google]
U_Reaper.gif
8KB, 103x128px
>>3737620
>Favorite faction
Highmen
>Favorite unit
The Reaper
>Favorite song
In the Company of the Elves

I love the hand-drawn art. I wish they would've used it on other units that ended up using the generic race card image.
>>
File: U_Giant[1].gif (11KB, 103x128px) Image search: [Google]
U_Giant[1].gif
11KB, 103x128px
Can anybody recommend some good user made maps? I've played through all the default scenarios and want something new. I know there's loads of maps available but I don't feel like shifting through the challenge maps or those maps that have loads of units strewn across the map for no reason. I just want something similar to the original maps.

>>3737620
>Favorite faction
The Highmen
>Favorite unit
The Giant
>>
I wanted to make a post about Disciples.

Instead of a HoMM thread and a AoW and a Disciples and a whathaveyou thread, why cant we have something like a Magic Strategy General ?
>>
I loved AoW when it came out and still play it on occasion. That it has 6 different endings is also wonderful (my favorite being Storm Cult/Highmen and maybe Keepers/Undead).

It's all about knowing how to cheese it through character creation (Take Regeneration and Life Stealing) and once you get your leader up to 10 defense will wall climbing, he will slaughter groups he has no right slaughtering.

I tried AoW2 and didn't care for it.
I tried AoW3 and enjoyed it until I got to a mission with a turn limit and just got frustrated.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.