[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resurfacing Disc Damage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cd-repair-center.jpg (36KB, 600x210px) Image search: [Google]
cd-repair-center.jpg
36KB, 600x210px
While this service is great, I've always been curious as to whether or not it decreases the lifetime integrity of the game on the disc? Will resurfaced games decay sooner than non-resurfaced ones?
>>
>>3736260
no
>>
FYI label-side damage is much worse than play-side.

Never place your discs upside-down. It won't protect them, quite the opposite in fact.
>>
>>3736301
This. Some discs seem to be more susceptible to it than others, I think it has to do with the method the label is printed on. But if you have scratches going through the label side of the disc than it's likely the data itself has been damaged. No amount of resurfacing will fix the problem, unfortunately.
>>
>>3736301
This is mainly for CDs.
It's not as bad with DVDs, and Bluray data pits was so close to the surface they had to engineer a proprietary scratch resistant surface coating to protect it.
>>
>>3736308
Yeah, the shit you burnt. Just burn it again.
>>
>>3736419
It affects pressed discs too y'know?
>>
>>3736301
A good check is when you hold a disc up to a light. If you can see little holes in the metal part of the disc where light clearly shines through then the disc is fucked. I've had discs that were scratched to shit but the data portion was intact, a good buffing can usually fix this if not improve it. Conversely I've seen discs that look fine at first glance but had a single bad gouge on the top of the disc which made it unplayable and irreparable.
>>
>>3736260
Depends how you do it
>the less you know
>>
>>3736419

Now they could go to shit in a year, but I have some Sega Mega CD-Rs (manufactured by Taiyo Yuuden) from the early 90s obviously and they still look great. No pinholes, dye still looks great, and last I checked booted up quickly and played fine.
>>
>>3736520
>i fell for the taiu juden meme
>I pretended to be older than 12
Cool story bro
>>
>>3736602

I guess Sega fell for it, then? They were the makers of the official development CD-Rs for the Sega/Mega CD, so they would've been produced in the early 90s, some of the oldest CD-Rs out there.
>>
I have an original copy of the original DUNE for MS-DOS, the game is only about 10 MB or so and hardly takes up any space on the CD. There is actual damage to the foil UNDER the printed label but the CD works fine because it's nowhere near the data part of the disc. Totally weird, never seen anything like it before.
>>
>>3736602
>>3736520
>yuuden
>juden
of course he's a lier
>>
>>3736308
Its not the data, its the reflective surface. The data is in the middle of the plastic.
>>
>>3736637
>sega were geniuses when it came to picking the right hardware
top kek kid

>>3737080
>juden
Google it jewboi.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.