[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Dragon's Trap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

File: Dragon's Trap.png (1MB, 1028x614px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon's Trap.png
1MB, 1028x614px
Which art style/character designs do you prefer?
>>
Mônica's
>>
>>3735634
The remake's. Respectful of the original yet not afraid to improve where there is room to do so.
>>
File: lizard.png (281KB, 590x674px) Image search: [Google]
lizard.png
281KB, 590x674px
New Hawk-Man looks better
Mouse-Men are about equal
Old Lizard-Man and old Lion-Man were better
Old Piranha-Man was FAR better.

I think the new artstyle and animation looks great, and the backgrounds look gorgeous, the character designs/sound design not so much.

I wonder what regular Hu-man Bocke will look like. It seems they're basing this on the TG16 version, so he probably won't have green hair, but they're taking minimal inspiration from the classic team's artistic vision, so he may not look like he does in the GG artwork. In the old days every illustrator had their own version of Bocke for all the ports of his 3 games, up until the definitive design in the MWIII manual and later MWII on the GG, it will be fun to see another version of him.
>>
File: 1483302760096.jpg (32KB, 460x596px) Image search: [Google]
1483302760096.jpg
32KB, 460x596px
>>3735639
>>
File: atrás do armário.png (467KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
atrás do armário.png
467KB, 500x800px
>>3735639
Playtronic is what Tectoyn't
>>
I prefer the retro style.

I've been drawn to that weird retro anime artwork ever since I was a little kid and didn't even know what anime was.

Though I really don't enjoy retro anime even a little bit, and very few games that I play use such a style.
>>
>>3735706
>improve
>respectful

also
>implying a fangame counts as anything more than that
>>
File: Bocke.png (674KB, 658x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Bocke.png
674KB, 658x1034px
>>3736164
I don't necessarily agree with him either, but this is licensed by SEGA and uses the Wonder Boy name, the fangame you're thinking of is "Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom," which I'm more excited for. It won't be Monster World V of course, but after looking into it, it looks fun.
>>
File: Dragon's_Curse_(U)-020.png (5KB, 256x242px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon's_Curse_(U)-020.png
5KB, 256x242px
The first.
But what I wanted to see is how Wonder Boy's classic style would look in HD, or, at least, in Street Fighter 3 quality.

I don't like how every remake nowadays claims to look "like a cartoon!" or "just liek comic!", or looks a directionless mess like Street Fighter 2 HD.
What's wrong with looking like a game? How about keeping the exact same style, designs but just redoing it in better quality with more frames? Of course they should update things like palette and add new details here and there, but keep the style.
>>
>>3735634
At first I thought this was between the two new wonder boy/monster world games and was easily going to answer the dragon's trap remake. But now that it's the original and and remake dang that's a harder answer.

They're both equally charming styles and they both have the strengths of their eras, the classic anime style of the original is cute and nostalgic and the remake is stylised and smoothly animated so its really hard to choose one.

It does make me realise that both Dragons are the only time you're running around butt naked though. Any reason for that?
>>
>>3736343
I don't mind HD artwork, but I share a similar sentiment, I was thinking about how this game would look with Neo Geo quality graphics, Idle animations, lush backgrounds, the works.
Also, it's funny how the TG16 version actually looks uglier than the SMS version, shows how important art direction is. At least TG16 has the best version of Monster Lair.
>>
>>3736354
Probably the big tail and back spikes. His body type is more bestial than the other monsters he turns into, might be hard to find armor that fits that. Also the initial curse takes away all his gear, but by the time you're turned into Mouse-Man you've already got some nice equipment.
>>
>>3735634
Left.

>two new wonder boy/monster world games
What's this about new games?
>remake.
I wouldn't consider a remake to be a new game, but okay. What's the one new game?
>>
>>3738595
First off it's not a new Wonder Boy/Monster World game at all. It's not Monster World V. It's pretty much a Monster World borderline fangame, it merely takes inspiration from Dragon's Trap's style and gameplay, and throws in tons of homages/references to MW, mostly tDT.
It's called Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Upon hearing about it and seeing it I was immediately annoyed. I don't like the whole "spiritual successor" thing if it relies on nostalgia, just throws in a bunch of references, and clearly can't live up to the originals. But after some time, I heard the original creator/directed of the MW series is giving the team pointers, and the Streets of Rage guy is composing some music for it. I've looked into it again, I've given it another chance, and I've gotta say,
>>
>>3738720
>Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
>not Monster Boy in Wonder World
Really missing the goal there.
> I don't like the whole "spiritual successor"
Yeah, I'm immediately turned off by that sort of thing as well. Even just 'retro style' is generally a turn off, because how many games have ever gotten that right?
But! Since you gave me the title I watched the trailer and this actually does look pretty cool to me. Maybe it'll be worthwhile.
>>
File: tumblr_ngk69sFSyX1tu022ro1_1280.png (853KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngk69sFSyX1tu022ro1_1280.png
853KB, 1280x720px
>>3735634
I like both though I prefer the original. I've always loved the squatty, bug-eyed cartoony designs of 80's & 90's japan and want to personally imitate that style. I'm glad the remake is going with a slightly different but fitting style that's almost as good as the original. Both look better than the upcoming Monster Boy game in terms of art.

>>3735639
HUE
>>
File: Demon King.png (946KB, 597x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Demon King.png
946KB, 597x1329px
>>3738795
Agreed.
>>
>>3738795
Is that Gigan
>>
File: hu.gif (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
hu.gif
72KB, 300x300px
>>3736343
>>3736436

No such thing as "looking like a game". Games used to look the way they did because there was no practical alternative; current 2D games, including this remake, look the way they do because they can. It's as simple as that.

It's been a while since I've seen anything like "Just like a cartoon" being used to promote a game; in fact, attaching the phony "Classic Oldschool Pixel Art Look!!!" badge to your game is WAY more common nowadays.
>>
>>3738875
Nah, he's an unrelated dragon-like cybernetic monster
>>
>>3736306
Okay, but we all know what happens when you outsource to other devs
>>
File: alexkiddposting.gif (16KB, 540x650px) Image search: [Google]
alexkiddposting.gif
16KB, 540x650px
>>3739163
>>
>>3739107
Why did you reply to me though?
>>
>>3739163
Westone died a couple years ago.
>>
File: meka.gif (2KB, 92x70px) Image search: [Google]
meka.gif
2KB, 92x70px
>>3738875
It is Meka.
>>
I know nothing about the Wonder Boy/Monster World games, and the numbering scheme is confusing the fuck out of me. Can someone explain it for me?
>>
>>3740910
Just read
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm
>>
File: 31463490_p0.jpg (44KB, 683x745px) Image search: [Google]
31463490_p0.jpg
44KB, 683x745px
>>3740910
Don't waste your time with hcg101
Just read this post
>>3738360

And I'll rename the series for you in a way that makes sense here.
Wonder Boy = Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land = Wonder Boy II: Monster World
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair = Wonder Boy III
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap = Wonder Boy IV: Monster World II
Wonder Boy in Monster World = Wonder Boy V: Monster World III
Monster World IV = Monster World IV (The next incarnation of Wonder Boy was dropped in favor of the female choice due to size limitations and developer's preference toward her, so the "Wonder Boy VI" had to be dropped)
>>
>>3740910
Actually I take that back, waste your time with hcg101 but only after you beat the series. It would only really be of interest then.
>>
Ofcourse I love the colors of vintage anime, but the original art looks so amateurish. But something is off in the new one aswell.
>>
File: biomeka.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
biomeka.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>3740797
>is a dragon
>then he's a big cyborg eyeball
>then he's an even bigger eyeball that isn't a cyborg but a crustacean

how duz it wurk
>>
>>3741756
Biomeka is a mysterious one. The alien's origin and race all would have been explained further in Monster World IV, take a look at these posts >>3739604
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.