[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Describe your ideal fantasy /vr/ console

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

File: vision.png (7KB, 374x319px) Image search: [Google]
vision.png
7KB, 374x319px
Release date: 1993
Name: Vision
Cost: $499 USD

Vision would be a purely CD based 16 bit console, albeit with 24 bit color like the Neo Geo (though not as powerful in other ways, to keep cost down)

It would ship with a mouse, and the library would have a lot of RTS and point and click adventure games as a consequence.

Both the mouse and the controller would be wireless via RF, the controller would have two analogue sticks for twin stick shooters (another big chunk of its library) and games would come in standard CD sized jewel cases.

There would be an outright ban on developing any FMV based games for it.
>>
>>3733402
Release date: 1992
Name: Dick Puncher
Cost: $299

Punches OP in the dick.
>>
File: 300px-SNES-CD_add-on.jpg (14KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
300px-SNES-CD_add-on.jpg
14KB, 300x169px
SNES with CD support
>>
File: funtendo.jpg (32KB, 574x325px) Image search: [Google]
funtendo.jpg
32KB, 574x325px
LJN Funtendo
3 button controller
2.5 inch 16 color LCD
800KB floppy drive
On/off indicator light
High quality RF output
>>
>>3733425
Forgot the price, it's $599 msrp
>>
>>3733425
>LJN

Woah there, satan
>>
File: Mrdink.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Mrdink.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>3733425
very expensive
>>
A follow up to the Dreamcast. The wrong company died :(
>>
The 64, but it uses CDs instead.
>>
>>3733402
Goodjob, you copied the wondermega you absolute fag
>>
>>3733437

That had a cartridge slot, and loads of shit FMV games. It was also hampered by the Genesis' piss poor color palette
>>
>>3733440
Meant visual design wise mostly.
>>
>>3733425
>>
>>3733445

Oh. Well I still wanna explain my rationale.

The Sega CD suffered because it was an addon to a cartridge system because many games were just ports of cart games with better music.

This is a shame, because the storage space of CDs can be used to overcome a very basic ugly problem with 16 bit cart based games: tile based level construction.

Rather than having to make environments out of lots of repeating bitmaps to save space, they can be huge sprawling mural-like environments where you never see the same thing twice.

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 came closest to achieving this despite cart space limits. Although the CDI side scrolling Zelda games were trash to actually play, they have levels that are not tile based.

There's also the timeless beauty of pixel art cutscenes, like the ones in Ys, Rondo of Blood, Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder which have aged immeasurably better than 16 bit fmv and are still a joy to look at.

By making the system CD only from the start, every game can be like that. None will be tile based, they will all actually take full advantage of the expanded space in every way rather than just slapping some fmv and redbook audio on a game that could've been done on cart otherwise.
>>
Super Segatendo Drive
>>
A 16-bit console with sprite scaling and rotation.
>>
Honestly, it already exists in the form of GameCube/Wii. Both are mod-able to play the 3rd and 4th gen retro I love in 240p over Component.

The problem is that neither one is quite powerful enough to do 5th gen well. So my fantasy console honestly would be just a GC/Wii on steroids.
>>
>>3734459

So, the SNES and Neo Geo MVS?
>>
>>3733447
Sega CD failed due to hardware reasons. The expansion port was a simple data port. You could not reliably add extra processing power through that.

But they added an extra cpu, extra video hardware, and extra sound hardware, even though the Sega CD had no way to tell the Genesis that it has data ready for it to fetch.

Because of this, they had to over engineer the system for it to be able to do the simplest of tasks. This tanked performance and drove up prices.

If the Genesis would've had a proper expansion port, and a double buffered VDP, then they could've made the Sega CD do all scaling games as well as FMVs in full screen at 60fps. Hell, Virtua Racing could've run at 60fps too.

>the storage space of CDs can be used to overcome a very basic ugly problem with 16 bit cart based games: tile based level construction.

The VDP is still tile based, it could still only display as many tiles as you could fit in its 64k memory. You could in theory stream tiles on the fly for giant levels, but you'd have to do mid-level loading, something like the CD corridors in Symphony of the Night on the PSX.
>>
>>3734501

That can all be true, and further confirm my desire for a "from the ground up" 16 bit CD based console without those design problems.
>>
>>3734498
SNES can only scale/rotate 1 background,

Neogeo can only shrink sprites, it cannot enlarge or rotate them. Whenever it did enlargement, it was actually drawing the opposite, drawing a shrinked down sprite that got less and less small until it blew up to its original large size.

Sega CD can scale and rotate, and if you combine the two it can also skew. But you have the problem where it only has a very small throughput, so you can't really scale large stuff without frame dipping.

>>3734503
A non-tile based video display on a 16-bit console would be cost prohibitive. The graphic processor would eclipse the main cpu in transistor size and complexity, and it would be slower (ie. it could draw much less sprites on screen).

It would probably be more economic to just give gigantic throughput or perhaps double buffering to tile based display. Think of how the Neogeo could still do Metal Slug despite the backgrounds being sprite tiles.
>>
>>3734479
How does emulation on Gamecube compare to emulation on Wii?

Just how much weaker is the Gamecube compared to the Wii when it comes to emulating older systems?
>>
File: Amiga for ants.jpg (6KB, 240x134px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga for ants.jpg
6KB, 240x134px
>>3733402
>>3733437
Sounds a lot like an Amiga CD32 to me. Sorry the image is for ants but a completely connected system like this is rare to get a pic of. This one is just a thumbnail cached from an Italian eBay auction.
>>
>>3734557
The Wii is just a Gamecube with fancy I/O so same.
>>
File: 20170106_074855.jpg (2MB, 2160x1415px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_074855.jpg
2MB, 2160x1415px
>>3733447
Interesting info. I recently bought a Sega CD and it's not so bad so far.
Worst game by far is Dungeon Master: Skull Keep. I might go back and play it more once I get a ram cart but I deleted the save to make a Shining Force one.

At first I thought the game was like Might and Magic 1 where you move one screen at a time through a 2D world and get in random encounters.
Once I fought my first battle and exited the cave I saw it was actually running at 1fps best. It's incredibly hard to chase down moving enemies when there is a load in-between each step. The rain and lighting effects are kind of neat (except for the 1 fps part).
>>
>>3733402

Release date: 1998
Name: Regulator
Cost: $799

Allows you to punch people in the face over the internet.
Expensive but would have been SO worth it over ll those years.
>>
>>3734716
Yeah you should probably stick to the PC version of Sega CD ports.
>>
>>3734716

Really the only Sega CD games worth it in my book are Popful Mail, The Misadventures of Flink, Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, Lunar 1 and 2, Soul Star, Sonic CD and Panic!

There may be a few I am forgetting but that's the cream of the crop imo
>>
File: i2gsdfssmksjidzfgsgv.jpg (33KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
i2gsdfssmksjidzfgsgv.jpg
33KB, 620x349px
>>3733402
Release date: 1994
Name: Retro VGS
Cost: $4million

Play new video games without frustration. Insert a cartridge, turn on the power, and have fun!
>>
>>3734676
How do u emulate on the game cube
>>
>>3733402
Ideal retro console:
An actual Super Famicom CD, but a Japanese design.

Has none of the 1-CHIP problems and has superior RGB support.

Enogh said.
>>
>>3735269
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

Pick your poison.

I used PSOload for the longest time. I finally got tired of that and installed a Xeno mod chip to boot mini DVD-R media.

However, both methods ultimately just got me a way to boot Swiss and use an SD card with an adapter in memory card slot 2. From there, you can load whatever you have on your SD card.

I currently have Swiss, GCMM, GBI, Gensplus, FCEUltra, SNES9x, and the 240p Suite. You could also use Swiss to play GC games this way, but it's not ideal. Better to burn a DVD-R.

I've been meaning to tinker with the PC Engine and MSX emulators, but haven't gotten around to it. But the nice thing about it is playing old games in 240p on my big old CRT via Component. Dat shit looks gud!
>>
>>3734893
Keio Flying Squadron is better than all of those except maybe Popful Mail.
>>
Part I:
Ideal Chinese clone console:
Release date: 2017
Name: Grey Legend
Cost: $149

An emulator Super Famicom clone console/Kodi streaming box/Ultra HD Blu-ray player.

Perfect emulation for every pre-7th Gen console except for the Xbox OG, also, can play PSP games perfectly.

Has Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, etc... support. Supports 4K HDR when possible.

Support for superb 4K upscaling and HDR upscaling for games and video alike.

Really great Hi-Fi audio.

Also supports stereoscopic 3D, can even optionally upconvert 2D to 3D and play Master System 3D, Famicom 3D System and Virtual Boy in actual stereoscopic 3D.

Also deinterlaces interlaced video to 30fps or 60fps progressive scan video.

Supports cinema mode (24fps).

Also supports the following resolutions: 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 2160p.

Optional NTSC CRT shader not just for games, but for videos and even the menu, would be really great to watch Fuller House with this and make it look like an actual VHS and make it look like it was shot right after the original Full House had ended, also for watching the Star Wars Trilogy: Despecialized Edition and making it look like the days of the THX LaserDiscs and VHS.

Supports bitstreaming for LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS:X audio.

Can also matrix Dolby Surround/Dolby Pro Logic material (some SNES, PSOne and N64 games and LaserDisc rips) and DTS Stereo (some Criterion Blu-rays, the Star Wars Trilogy: Despecialized Edition and some Studio Ghibli Blu-rays) to 4.0 as God intended. Also upmixes Dolby Pro Logic II (some GameCube and PS2 games) material to 5.1 and even bitstream matrixed audio to HDMI or S/PDIF. Also matrixes Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES Matrix to 6.1.

Also supports DTS Interactive games like GTA: Vice City.

Can optionally upmix audio to Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X.
>>
Part II:
Console will have a design based on the Super Famicom CD. Can insert both American and Japanese Super Famicom cartridges and Super Famicom CD drive can play Audio CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DTS Music CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray and even data CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays, can also play GameCube, PSOne, PS2, Mega-CD, Saturn, Dreamcast and PC-Engine CD discs (except if it's a GD-ROM disc). Famicom, N64, non-backwards compatible Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PSP, Master System, GD-ROM Dreamcast games, Mega Drive, Game Gear and PC-Engine physical copies cannot be played but ROMs and ISOs can be played.

Region free for streaming services, DVDs, Blu-rays and games.

Even has a Super Scope inspired light gun but it has a motion sensor like the Wii Remote.

Can also play both Super Game Boy and it's Japan-only update, complete with audio.

Controller will be similar to the DualShock 4 with working light bar and touchpad but with Super Famicom button layout, D-pad and colors and Xbox One analog rubbers, also, the analog buttons of the DualShock 2 and 3.

Also has replica Super Famicom controllers and replicas of other controllers.

Supports all original Super Famicom accessories except for the original Super Scope.

Has composite, S-Video, RGB, and HDMI outputs, also outputs S/PDIF and 3.5mm for audio in addition.

Also supports Bluetooth speakers and earphones.

Also has HDMI preamp for other consoles and/or streaming boxes, or LaserDiscs and VHS tapes with an upscaler like an OSSC, Framemeister or DVDO iScan VP50pro.

Basically that dream console which will never, ever become real.
>>
Also forgot, also supports Supergrafx.
>>
>>3735303
Holy shit, dude! May as well add a fleshlight to the game pad.
>>
>>3735307
Nah, I want the accompanying controllers to resemble the Super Famicom controllers, save for changing the logo.

Maybe for the DualShock 4-style Pro Controller I mentioned, though. Who knows?
>>
>>3733402
Release Date: 1995
Name: Prometheus
Cost: MSRP $299.99

follow up post in a bit, on my way to work.
>>
>>3735367
>Power equivalent to four Sega 32x+Genesis combos
>Library consist of games with a strong emphasis on local multiplayer/split-screen
>All story games must at least have two player co-op integrated
>This thing has a lifespan of millennium s
>All games are up to arcade standards
>>
>>3735386
Stuff I forgot
>SPU is either roland SC-88 or Yamaha XG
>Ships with two gamepads
>Arcade sticks sold as accessories
>>
>>3735291
Doesn't the Wii have a higher clock speed than the Gamecube, giving it better emulation?
>>
>>3735291
>I've been meaning to tinker with the PC Engine and MSX emulators, but haven't gotten around to it.

How will you input the keyboard commands that the MSX games will require on a Gamecube pad?
>>
>>3735579
The Wii also has a lot more overhead. It's not a completely fair comparison either way and varies on a case by case basis but it's probably not a huge exaggeration to say that a well optimized emulator running a demanding title will generally perform somewhat better on Wii. Sorry GCbros don't hate me. Wiis are cheaper and easier to mod too, with broader native compatibility
>>
>>3735386
>>Power equivalent to four Sega 32x+Genesis combos
So it's a Saturn?
>>
>>3734459
pretty much came here to post this

>>3734501
in an closer to ideal world, the Sega CD would have plugged in to the TV like the 32X did, providing a video over/underlay for Genesis video
Would have solved the "Genesis needs more colors" issue, too, since the Sega CD would have it's own high-color VDP for drawing a few extra graphics here and there.

>>3734893
I wish Soul Star was a better game. It's absolutely gorgeous.
You're probably missing Silpheed.
>>
>>3733402
Release date: 1980
Name: Retardi 2601
Cost: $99

Dual 6502 CPUs. One for core processing and one for I/O, sound, video
2 x DA-15 controller ports. Cart and Expansion ports. AV out.
1K shared ram for line buffer and registers. 1K for core CPU. Expandable to 30k. 4k ROM
320x240x8 video, stereo 1 bit PCM
>>
>>3735626
Nah, it's cool. I agree. But daddy likes his purple Fischer-Price toys anyway.
>>
>>3735847
Fuck it just make vectrex 2 64 bit
>>
N64 with a 4x CD-ROM drive, no smear filter, and good dev tools.
>>
>>3735689
>I wish Soul Star was a better game

It's great if you actually pay attention to the mission briefings, but frustrating/baffling if you don't.
>>
The Virtual Boy, but in color, and as an optional peripheral for the N64 rather than its own stand alone system.

N64 splitscreen games prove it has the power to push decent visuals even rendering them twice or four times.

Even if I have to hunch over to use it, Mario 64 or OoT with its own stereoscopic 3D color display would be amazing.
>>
99% of the ideas in this thread would have market unfeasible high prices
>>
>>3735626
How loud is the fan noise from the Wii compared to the Gamecube?

Does the Wii have a variable speed fan or a fixed speed fan like the Gamecube?
>>
File: 1870702_0.jpg (15KB, 540x309px) Image search: [Google]
1870702_0.jpg
15KB, 540x309px
>>3733402
PlaySaturn 64. Costs 'bout tree fiddy.

Plays CDs and carts, has the best weeb RPGs, fightans, survival horror and 3D platformers. Looks like this.
>>
File: 1484196266191.jpg (358KB, 1037x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484196266191.jpg
358KB, 1037x960px
I want a ps1 re-release, a little bigger than a jewel case and the same hardware except for a slightly higher clocked processor, 64GB internal storage, 52x cd-rom, 2GB of faster ram and wifi.

System OS would have a retro version of psn that lets you purchase old and new games. Also sony releases some modern dev tools that lets people easily make games and upload them to the store.
>>
>>3733402
Ugh, so basically a more subtle CD-I.
>>
>>3738925
imagine 52x speed and a toploading CD
>>
File: Retro_system.png (934KB, 1416x938px) Image search: [Google]
Retro_system.png
934KB, 1416x938px
Release date 1994.
Cost $349,99
Would use the six button Genesis style controller with L and R buttons.

The Console would have fully realized 32X hardware mixed with a shrunk down model 2 arcade board along with Sega CD type disc drive and audio hardware.

It uses RCA out bur you can flip a switch for S-video, and it can output to two TVs at once for co-op game play.
The audio can also be switched from Stereo out to dual mono so one audio channel can be connected to each TV.
>>
File: gcn-screen1[1].jpg (81KB, 450x452px) Image search: [Google]
gcn-screen1[1].jpg
81KB, 450x452px
>>3738845
Wew lad... I've never really had a Gamecube hooked up in the same place as a Wii. Ido want to say that the Wii has a variable speed fan though since sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't.

>>3736992
I mainly use my black one even though my LCD is purple
>>
It's a 5th gen system with, it uses CD's for the games and it's main gimmick is that can use the internet, you can browse the web, use emails and the main thing you can do is play online and a lot of games would feature online compatibility, and would also feature browser games like FreeCell and Checkers.
>>
>>3737025
Would love to if there were any screens left.
>>
>>3738845
Wii's are pretty much silent, the majority of the noise comes from the disc drive which you don't ever have to use
>>
File: howmanybits.png (245KB, 595x1137px) Image search: [Google]
howmanybits.png
245KB, 595x1137px
>Brilliant first-party games (a good few)
>Brilliant third-party games (loads of them)
>Some kind of processor; graphics, probably sound.
>Controllers
>Price: surprisingly low
Beat that
>>
>>3738925
why did you post that picture?
that's awful.
>>
File: game system.png (55KB, 332x493px) Image search: [Google]
game system.png
55KB, 332x493px
A budget gameboy competitor

Release date: 1994
Motorola 68000 CPU
152 x 192 monochrome lcd
Floppy drive
Open source devkit
>>
>>3733402
Sega Genesis with 32x & CD rom drive already in it. Modem connection so I can play my friends. Sega releases Sonic 4.
>>
>>3744684
Basically I want the Dreamcast, maybe with a DVD-rom and a non-shitty Sonic game. Sega management was so dumb, they'd abandon things that still worked & sold (2d sprites). I used to think Japanese were bad at making 3d games because of Sega's budget quality 3d platformers. The Dreamcast is probably everything I wanted in the 90s.
>>
How about releasing games in card format? The SG-1000 and PC Engine both did this and apparently it's much cheaper to manufacture than using cartridges.

Why didn't we see more consoles using this?

On-topic, I was just wondering why no 4th-gen console did this, it would seem to make perfect sense.
>>
>>3744724
The Dreamcast had a good amount of 2D games, probably more than other 6th gen consoles.
>>
>>3733413

Sold
>>
>>3733402

Release date: 1986
Name: The Poon
Cost: $349.99

Plays new games and sucks your dick. If female, twittles the twat.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.