[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese games that got harder when they were localized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png (192KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png
192KB, 250x355px
The first three games that came to mind were Contra Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Castlevania 3, but it definitely wasn't a phenomenon unique to Konami.
>>
>>3731341
Gimmick!
Ninja Gaiden 3
>>
>>3731341
Dynamite Headdy, Art of Fighting (Sega's version), Streets of Rage 3.

Most localizations from Working Designs.
>>
Wasn't it the other way around? Contra got easier upon it's release in Japan? It was released a month later.

ActRaiser 2. The default difficulty is set higher and you get less lifes.
>>
Contra 3 in Japan is also much easier

But to me the biggest offense is RE 1 and 2, the initial release of both overseas took out the autoaim, which is a vital game play component, thankfully later releases put it back in.

And for anyone wondering why they did this shit, it was to boost profits from rentals.
>>
>>3731452
It's not just the auto aim. In RE 2/3, in the west characters have more hp and some enemies deal more dmg or have more hp as well.

But the worst is the item placement in BH2. In RE2 you have to look a little for supplies, some are invisible on screen, etc; but not in BH2, BH2's supplies placement is a joke that's barely even survival horror.
>>
File: Silhouette_Mirage.png (142KB, 256x253px) Image search: [Google]
Silhouette_Mirage.png
142KB, 256x253px
Working Designs was notorious for tinkering with difficulties.
>>
File: a-blz2.jpg (253KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
a-blz2.jpg
253KB, 1200x800px
>>3731370
>Wasn't it the other way around? Contra got easier upon it's release in Japan? It was released a month later.
I could be wrong, but I think all the Contra games were released first in the U.S. At the very least, the NES Contra was definitely the earlier built of the game compared to FC Contra.
>>
>>3731341
Fang (using d-shot trick) > Browny > Fang (no d-shot trick) > Ray (good at spreadshot) > Sheena
>>
>>3732062
That's interesting because I only beat it with Sheena
>>
>>3732062
Swap glitchless Fang with Sheena.
>>
>>3732085
She's the easiest character to learn the game with. Thick laser on bosses and homing laser on mobs. But this game is all about boss rushes and she's the slowest boss killer, which makes her the lowest.

>>3732092
No. Sheena is objectively the worst. And no, she does NOT have a smaller hurtbox. And no, her slide does not go further than the others. And no, her upgraded A shot does not do more damage than the others.

Sheena is objectively the worst.
>>
>>3732092
Also, glitchless Fang is still a monster.
>>
What was the object of these kind of things? Preventing people from beating it on first rental?
>>
>>3732121
Pretty much
>>
>>3732106
>She's the easiest character to learn the game with. Thick laser on bosses and homing laser on mobs. But this game is all about boss rushes and she's the slowest boss killer, which makes her the lowest.
I figured it was that but it does make the idea of a tier list kinda silly, it's really more about speedrunning the game than who is "objectively best"

I saw it as something like this:

Sheena = Axel (retard mode)
Brownie = Max (high damage but less straightforward)
Fang = Skate (gimmicky, "good if you know how to use him")
Ray = Blaze (not unusable but not the best)

but I'm not good at either game
>>
>>3732147
>but I'm not good at either game

No offense, but your analogies are waaay off.

I'm not talking about speedrunning. Hard Corps is actually a really easy game once you figure out that sliding is invincible. Sheena is the easiest to learn the game with, but once you get the hang of the game, the other characters are easier to actually beat the game with.

Sheena = Blaze. Average in everything, but has the worst damage in the game. She's the most "standard" character so she's easy to learn the game with, but you eventually realize that she's the worst because HC is all about doing damage to bosses.

Fang = Max. Seems clunky at first and harder to control. Does absolutely ridiculous damage, but need to be good at the game and have good technique.

Brownie = Axel. Grand Upper = Electric Yo Yo. Easy and strong weapon that rapes things.

Skate = Ray. Harder to learn than Blaze but can do more damage once you get good. Ray's spreadshot up-close is a boss raper. Just like in SOR2, once you git gud, Skate is a better character than Blaze.

Also, for Hardest and Mania:

Max > Axel > Skate > Blaze
>>
>>3731343
SoR3 went from gentle breeze to assraping in the process. BK3 is the easiest game of the saga, but SoR3 is a frigging nightmare. I think I never got the good ending (stupid final boss with 10000 life bars to deplete under 3 minutes)
>>
>>3731532
Yeah those fucking cunts
>>
JP Blaze > Everything (due to upskirts).
>>
>>3731815
No. Some were released in the US first and other don't. And the PS1 games never saw Japan.
>>
>>3732121
Yep. Nintendo only had the power to ban game rentals in Japan. You could rent out any version of nes games, vhs and dvds you had to buy special rental copies which where expensive as fuck. So they made games harder in hopes you would buy the game.
>>
File: Battletoads_Coverart.png (202KB, 256x352px) Image search: [Google]
Battletoads_Coverart.png
202KB, 256x352px
>>3731341

how about Western games that were made easier for their Japan release?
>>
The 7th Saga/Elnard was made ridiculously more difficult for the US release, when really the game could use a much more casual difficulty given its rate of encounters. Keep the bosses, particularly the other apprentices, a heavy challenge and it'd be an okay dungeon crawler with a weird, alien feel.
>>
>>3735384

it's high difficulty and encounter rate are it's defining traits, without those it'd be completely forgotten
>>
>>3735274
Except almost all the U.S. versions of the Contra games came out first or at least at the same time.

The Japanese Super Contra was definitely a later version, since the Very Hard/no continue 2nd loop is not in the U.S. version. The U.S. version of AC Contra was also an earlier version if the revision letter is any indication.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.