[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The solution for cartridge based consoles is flash carts, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: sega.png (34KB, 250x138px) Image search: [Google]
sega.png
34KB, 250x138px
The solution for cartridge based consoles is flash carts, but what about disc based systems (like Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1)? Are there viable solutions for those yet?
>>
burning discs. rhea, gdemu, psio, and saturn usb loader.
>>
>>3731265
There is an sd card loader being worked on for the saturn right now, it uses the back video cd add on port and apparently is very easy to use.

I use pseudosaturn and burned disks myself, the saturn's drive is a fucking tank and I don't see mine dying anytime soon.
>>
>>3731289
the expansion bay card is going to be USB based.
>>
>>3731289
I bought Rhea and all I can say is that it works very well and even has a menu now.
>>
>>3731265
Full drive emulators with SD slots. Saturn and DC already has them. Playstation has one but it only works on certain models and requires soldering, due to all the drive controllers being on the motherboard. PC Engine CD has one in development. 3DO has an IDE drive mod, I think. Don't know about Jaguar CD.

A guy is also working on a hdd loader for the Saturn using a software hack, that one is much higher level than drive emulators, so more difficult to do.
>>
>>3731816

Yep, before long emulation via SD/HDD will become the /vr/ standard, it's still kind of in its infancy though. The Saturn and DC ones apparently work great but are super hard to find, it's just one guy making them in limited supplies. The PSIO from everything I've heard is a disappointing piece of shit but with any luck it'll be patched until it's decent or made redundant by something better.
>>
>>3732391
>with any luck it'll be patched until it's decent or made redundant by something better.

It won't. The problem is hardware side.
>>
>>3731265
They're called blank discs ya big turkey
>>
>>3731265
Does the PS1 even have copyright protection? I've been using burnt games for like 15 years, to this day I only own two legit PS1 games and I got them specifically because they're the black discs that help with swapping
>>
>>3732434
>>3732442
mostly concerned about laser wear t b h
>>
I love pseudosaturn. Only problem was I didn't own an original saturn game so I had to borrow one from a friend. You're going to hate me and this is the only time this has happened in my entire life but in the middle of swapping discs to flash the action replay, I sat on his game with all 100 pounds of me, snapping it in half. I felt so bad about it, but it was a super cheap lightgun game that he didn't even like so he didn't really mind.
>>
>>3732391
>still falling for the PSIO PnP scam

>>3732446
Then you're mostly concerned about an easy to fix problem and should be far less concerned.
>>
>>3731265
CRT Emudriver and TV
>>
>>3732446
Depending on the console there's SD/USB adapters on the works or already available.
>>
>>3732446
unless there is some actual proof, it doesn't make it worse than legit discs
>>
>>3735284
There are also billions of new lasers produced every year.
>>
>>3735313
Shitty burns/discs cause the transport to re-read data for error correction causing extra wear on the mechanical parts. Also the laser's power will be increased in an attempt to get a good lock.

Of course there are replacement parts available but for how long and are you a bad enough dude to fit and calibrate one?
>>
>>3736153
proofs
>>
>>3736159
Next summer the even younger more retarded kids will be quoting it as proof.
>>
>>3736153
>Implying replacing laser diodes is difficult
Sourcing a decent replacement is the hardest part.
>>
>>3736153
Saturn has it better off than PSX at least, the mode 2 formatted discs psx use they have worse error correction than what saturn uses.
>>
>>3736441
>getting out of the bed without crushing any cheetos is the hard part
FTFKLAK
>>
>>3731265
I'm looking for a Retro game console for me.

Look for a console without pokemon shit and The Legend of Zelda, I want to be away from those idiots.

A console with many games that are classified E For Everyone in the ESRB.

Look for games like: FIFA, Madden NFL, realistic racing games and easy and direct games
>>
>>3736445
quite a bunch of late Saturn games used mode2 for the movies and audio, and mode1 for game data.
>>
>>3731265
What do you mean, as a kid I only had 1 original ps1 game, and I played around 500 games, just get a chipped ps1
>>
>>3736537
>>>/r/retro_games
>>
>>3736539
I wasn't aware you could mix it like that. Every saturn iso I checked was mode 1.
>>
>>3736537
not sure what the fuck is your problem, but PS1 is probably best for you
>>
File: nigdisc.png (400KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nigdisc.png
400KB, 1024x768px
Why were Playstation discs black?
>>
>>3736612
Because it was more EXTREME that way.
>>
>>3736612
It was anti-piracy, correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>3731265
emulation
>>
>>3736781
You are wrong. The anti piracy measure was in the ATIP, and some wobble on the track grooves.

the black discs were for no other reason than because it looked cool.
>>
>>3735896
This consoles most of the time use propietary media tho don't they? Can you really find replacement readers that work on them?
>>
File: Alice-facepalm_1.jpg (11KB, 218x219px) Image search: [Google]
Alice-facepalm_1.jpg
11KB, 218x219px
>>3736441
You'd be surprised how many people neglect to remove the solder bridge, or remove it too early and zap the module, or tweak the gain and power without an oscilloscope, or...

The list goes on.
>>
There are IDE mods available for the DC in Brazil, at least. Im surprised you guys didnt mention it.
>>
File: 1380993652180.jpg (52KB, 838x770px) Image search: [Google]
1380993652180.jpg
52KB, 838x770px
>>3736839
>Saturn
>emulation
>>
>>3737939
SSF has just werked fine for me so far.
>>
I'm just trying to get caught up with fdd emulators in all my retro computers. CDs are still pretty easy to write and spin right.
>>
>>3732442
If it didn't have copy protection you wouldn't need to swap disks.
>>
>>3736781
>>3736846
Brand recognition was the reasons, but making pirate games easier to spot was an advantage.
>>
>>3732465
100lbs? Are you 7 or a grill?
>>
You guys think a jp saturn, mod chipped, region switch built into the reset button, with action replay and two controllers worth $200?
>>
>>3738653
AR is $30, modchip is $30. Loose jp Saturn with shipping is around $50. controllers, maybe another $30. Plus the video cable, and installation of that switchless mod.

If the $200 includes shipping, and the unit is in great condition, then it's okay. Not a great deal, but worth about that much.
>>
>>3738653
It depends,the region switch is only needed for official games ,so in this case playing USA games on the Japanese system ,but if you only plan on using cdrs it's not needed because you can patch a game to any region before you burn it.
>>
>>3739220
Or you can do the proper solution of adding a region free bios and never needing to worry about whether your console matches the game or not.
>>
Enjoy your pirated chinaman garbage while I'm here playing the real thing.
>>
File: pipo.jpg (11KB, 300x329px) Image search: [Google]
pipo.jpg
11KB, 300x329px
>>3739389
>not using chinaman barbage in the first place for more practical use of extra RAM and region free
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.