[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAL 60Hz mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg (113KB, 1200x850px) Image search: [Google]
Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg
113KB, 1200x850px
Need clarification; I know various 60Hz mods exist for PAL SNES consoles. I have read that they aren't perfect however, and cause flickering, particularly on HDTV's. Is this true? Should I just buy a Super Famicom instead?
I had hoped it would get my original SNES working at 60Hz but won't bother if the results are subpar.
>>
>>3730906
>cause flickering
No, they don't. Not even on a HDTV, they'll be further from 60hz than a SFC and a SFC is cheaper than having someone else do the mod if you can't do it yourself. A SFC runs at around 59.7hz, while the modded PAL console will run at 59.1hz.
>>
>>3730949
Hell at that point a chinese cloned SD2SNES might be worth it.
>>
>>3730906
>Should I just buy a Super Famicom
yes

I cannot comprehend why you would try to mod a PAL SNES to make it an NTSC SNES when the Super Famicom exists.
>>
>>3731072
He's not trying to make it an NTSC SNES, you idiot. He's trying to get it to output 60hz.
>>
>>3730949
>>3731072
Thanks, I'm convinced that getting a super famicom is a better option than modding what I have.

I was also thinking, if I buy a super famicom, but want it to physically look like my original snes, I can just do a shell swap, right?
>>
>>3731106
Yes, they're the same physically.
>>
http://consolingmyself.co.uk/post/1251747918/supercic

This might actually be your best option. If you buy a Super Famicom most of your PAL games aren't going to boot anyway.
>>
>>3731116
He should get a flashcart and sell his PAL games anyway. He could probably sell the games, buy the flashcart and still have money left over from selling the games.
>>
>>3731117
Well if he bought a SD2SNES it actually has the supercic inside of it and can force the console into 50hz or 60hz mode. Either way something involving the supercic is the best bet.
>>
>>3731120
>SuperCIC key (SNES CIC clone):

>enables operation on unmodified consoles of all regions
>supports software 50/60Hz switching on SuperCIC enhanced consoles only (to be performed by sd2snes firmware, not yet implemented there)

I'm actually mistaken about this. You will still need the mod to actually force 60hz.
>>
>>3731120
>>3731135
I suspected modding would still be necessary.
My understanding is that SuperCIC is the best 60Hz mod to perform on a PAL SNES, and that it could make PAL cartridges run at 60Hz, but in any case it won't be as perfect as a Super Famicom's 60Hz. I'm also thinking of getting an SD2SNES

>>3731113
That sounds like a great idea then. I guess I'd still need a region free mod for the Super Famicom however, right?
>>
>>3731156
I believe it not being perfect only applies to the older mods. I'm not 100% sure on this though. I'd recommend researching this a little more and possibly asking on some forums where a lot of people have done this already.

Also yes you would need a supercic mod to play PAL games on the SFC. If you just want to play your current collection of games it won't be a big deal but if you want to play cheaper NTSC imports from the US you also need to think about modding the cartridge slot to made it wider. A US SNES is superior to the SFC in this regard because you can just break the tabs off in order to use games from all 3 regions on it (with a supercic of course.)
>>
>>3731156
>I guess I'd still need a region free mod for the Super Famicom however, right?
If you want to play some PAL games on it, though many won't play in 60hz. You're really better off just getting a flashcart.
>>
>>3731184
>though many won't play in 60hz

With a supercic installed they will. It fools the game by doing this:

>If you insert a PAL-Game, it will start with 50Hz and switches to 60Hz after 9 sec. (if Pin 4 is set 5V)
>>
>>3730906
>Should I just buy a Super Famicom instead?
Yes and a CRT for the love of god.
>>3731204
Lots of games have checks mid game and will still crash randomly to a warning screen.
>>
>>3731223
That would be enough to warrant having both consoles, or a flash cart at the very least.
>>
>>3731156
>>3731163
>>3731184
>>3731204
I wasn't aware superCIC was still required for a super famicom.

I don't plan to play US carts. I plan to get a flashcart, however none of them play Yoshi's Island as far as I know. Fortunately I have my old PAL copy of Yoshi's Island that I hope to be able to continue using, and at 60Hz

>get a US SNES
unless I can do a shell swap with my PAL shell, no thanks. That thing is ugly and has no nostalgic value to me
>>
also my understanding is that all super famicoms are 1-chip, while some US SNES's could be 2-chip. Is that correct?
>>
>>3731267
I'm from the US and I find it to be hideous as well. That's why I didn't buy a SNES when I was a kid. I had my parents get me a Sega Genesis instead. Now I own a Super Famicom.

SuperCIC is probably your best bet. Even if you have problems with a game you can always switch it back into 50hz mode.
>>
File: IMG_2048.jpg (280KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2048.jpg
280KB, 1280x960px
>>3731106
>I was also thinking, if I buy a super famicom, but want it to physically look like my original snes, I can just do a shell swap, right?

No that's not always the case at all.
Depending on what revision the board is you might get screwed over this early one for example can only be swapped with models of the same motherboard(forget the modded crap to the side).
>>
>>3731284
ah i see, well based on the serial number of my snes i suspect it to be a 2-chip model, which i think is different to the famicoms.
thanks for informing me
>>
>>3731334
It depends on what motherboard revision

SHVC-CPU-01 is a no no when it comes to transplanting but SNS-CPU-GPM-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-02 will work here compare

https://console5.com/techwiki/index.php?title=SNES#SHVC-CPU-01
>>
>>3731223
>Lots of games have checks mid game and will still crash randomly to a warning screen.

Have you got any examples of that? I have a PAL modded SNES and an SD2SNES and it hasn't happened yet, but it is something I feared happening. desu I think that most of the games with anti-piracy things were SuperFX or SA-1 or the like which the SD2SNES can't do anyway.
>>
>>3731363
I'm too lazy to google it for you but there's a list of SNES games somewhere where all the region protected games are listed in. The Kirby games and SMRPG (a few examples with SA-1) are listed on it but also some later games that didn't need a special chip like Earthbound or the DKC games. The SD2NES won't have a problem with anti-piracy messages but the rest of your post is correct.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.