[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro Gaming Hoaxes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

What were some of the old gaming hoaxes that managed to trick you when you were younger?

Note that I haven't fallen for pic related, but it's known to be a gaming hoax as well.
>>
>retarded movement sequence to get Lara come out naked of the swimming pool

>Mew behind the truck
>Pikablue
>>
For me, it was trying to unlock Luigi in Mario 64.
>>
>>3729569
Saving General Leo
>>
>>3729569
What's the Mario World hoax being pictured here? I don't think I ever heard of it.
>>
>>3729569
Being able to dive in Tomb Raider 2.
>>
In Lemmings, if you managed to have a lemmings exploding under a column without freezing him in place, gravity would turn on and the stage would fall in pieces.

My brother invented this one.
>>
>>3729579
I fell for this 2
>>
>>3729569
Fucking EGM and their April Fools issues
>>
>>3729569
That you could save Paul in Deus Ex.
>>
>>3729853
Jump forward while holding down the walk button.
>>
File: 1474131786749.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474131786749.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>3729947
You almost got me there familia
>>
>>3729971
Paul, I...I...
>>
File: 1434661506658.jpg (19KB, 293x257px) Image search: [Google]
1434661506658.jpg
19KB, 293x257px
>>3729989
Please stop this meme nonsense
>>
>>3729569
You can get more moogles on your team in FFVI.

I later found out this is partially true, so long as you do the airship glitch and fuck up all the script triggers so you have the extra moogles as placeholders for characters you were supposed to get.
>>
>>3729835
I remember reading that there's a glitch that actually lets you get him.
Can't for the life of me remember what it was.
But if the airship glitch works, maybe that one will too.
>>
>>3729957
We, fuck, it works.
>>
Countless Pokemon Red/Blue rumors. I reset my game just so I could get to the truck that supposedly had Mew in it ( all my pokemon were safely deposited in Pokemon Stadium of course. Also, Pokemon Bank is a joke. )

It's technically not retro but I fell for the Sonic in Super Smash Bros gag. Of course I didn't meet the requirements, but I tried for days to do it.

I never played Tomb Raider, but all I would ever hear about when hanging out with my brother's older friends was that there were so many cheats and tricks to get Laura Croft naked.
>>
That you couls get Luigi to slide down the stair ramps in Luigi's Mansion.
>>
>>3729579
Use the outdoor cannon 100 times and you can ride Yoshi
>>
>>3729572
>Pikablue
That was actually Marril.
>>
>>3730046
You can't switch their equipment and neither equip espers on them.
>>
>>3730258
>Laura Croft
>>
>>3730258
>I never played Tomb Raider, but all I would ever hear about when hanging out with my brother's older friends was that there were so many cheats and tricks to get Laura Croft naked.
There's a lot of modified PC versions where Lara's model was edited into a naked version.
Some of them looked good, other were just trash where all of her clothing accesories were recolored with skintones.
>>
>>3729843
The Laser Suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjYfjSWXx8
>>
>>3729569
That there was a hidden pyramid in the Gerudo desert.
>>
>>3729579
He's in the top of the volcano of Lethal Lava Land. You have to jump into the lava and bounce your way up the lava stream. It's just really hard to do but my friends brother said he did it but forgot to save after getting Luigi.

Also did you guys know that if you launch all of the mask of truth statues in OoT you get something super awesome? I forgot what happens though.
>>
>>3730258
>Laura croft
She's the one in the new games. Old ones are Lara Croft
>>
I never fell for any myself, but I convinced a kid I knew that there was a portable canon in Super Mario 64.
I gave him subtle clues, just enough so it seemed plausible.
"It has to do with the two spires on the back of Peach's castle."
For those not in the know, those two spires aren't solid so it really added some credibility to my lie.
>>
Does anybody remember that video a few years ago of the psycho message that was supposed to appear at the beginning of Shin Megami Tensei for SNES? Like if you press reset, once in a thousand times it'll go

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF
TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF
TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF
TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF

That was a hoax, right? Because I imported the SMT cartridge last year and it's on the shelf next to my bed right now...
>>
As someone in latin america, a lot of them used to be

>mistranslated glitches or easter eggs from other games in the same series
>beat X game Y number of times for Z
>beat the game with a ridiculous condition for this to happen

I was eventually surprised to find that the condition to face Noob Saibot in Mortal Kombat 2 was real.
>>
>>3729569
I remember some bullshit about the 97th level (not that there were even 96 levels anyway) being in the Ghost Ship. You had to get all 5 dragon coins on that bit where you fall down, then something something. Needless to say I never tried it.
>>
>>3730438
At least in Argentina there was always someone who had a cousin in USA, Italy or Spain that had bought a console two generations ahead or something.

>yeah, he got a Playstation 5, for serious, but it's really expensive!
>>
>>3730435
I thought it was one of those anti-piracy things.
>>
>>3729569
Diablo 2. There was a lot of them, especially about the ghosts in Mephisto's room, or about the gem in the chatroom.
>>
>>
Early Pokemon days were a goldmine for this stuff. I used to spend hours poring over obscure fansites for any kind of news. The ones I remember most were the "PokeGods" that people would make up with names like Doomsday and Mewthree. I wanted to believe so badly, it seemed plausible because of all the hype around Mew. I wish those sites were still around to look back on, probably all died with Geocities.
>>
>>3730435
I remember that. It was a hoax.
>>
File: video-game-myth-bill.jpg (103KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
video-game-myth-bill.jpg
103KB, 500x450px
Let's see. A bunch of Gen 1 Pokemon rumors, to include the infamous Mew + Truck, that there was shit behind Bill's House (pic related), Pikablu and other Pokemon past 151 well before 2nd Gen.

The there were the naked Samus endings and passwords for Metroid and Super Metroid. The naked Tomb Raider stuff on both PS1 and PC.

The secrets in SMB3. A 4th Warp Whistle. Other suits more rare than then Hammer Bros Suit. Additional secret worlds with some combination of Whistle usage. Additional hidden areas that could be discovered with the Hammer Bros Hammer Item (partially true at least). Just a whole bunch of shit.

So many for FFVII too. That Aeris (fuck you, I don't care) could be brought back to life somehow. (Yes, I cried when she was killed, I was emotionally invested in the character and plot so another fuck you) Lots of shit about the Ruby and Emerald Weapons, as well as possible others that could be fought. Lots about other "secret" materia.

Pretty much a bunch of shit for LoZ, ALttP, and OoT. More secret caves, hidden items, empty jars, more powerful swords, secret shit up the wazoo. Not even counting the 2nd quest stuff for LoZ either.

Luigi and other "hidden" characters in SMRPG. Some cameos (like Link and Samus turned out to be true) by other Nintendo characters. Additional better equipment if you met certain criteria (again partially true).
>>
>>3730680
This one still bothers me.

As a kid, I fell for it. If it wasn't Mew under that truck, surely there had to have been SOMETHING there.

Why else would they put a truck, a sprite not seen anywhere else in the game, in a location that you can't even get to normally without trading in a Pokemon that knows Surf before you can get it or cheating? I thought for sure that the truck had to mean something.

Now, it seems like it really is just a truck after all. No secrets. And even though it was cool of them to include the truck in the remakes, I still don't understand why it was there at all. Why make a unique sprite and hide it there if it doesn't mean anything?

WHY?
>>
>>3730725

You might like this site, anon.

http://www.blue-reflections.net/ragecandybar/projects/pokegods/
>>
>>3730783
>I was emotionally invested in the character and plot so another fuck you
Hahaha, weak.

Well, I say that, but I got involved in Deus Ex, so the first time I saw Paul dead, I was pissed off and I killed everyone.
Second time I played, I decided to stay and fight, and when I saw you could save him, I was really happy.
>>
>>3731105
The zone is a glitch zone, not something you're supposed to visit. The truck is probably just a leftover from development.
I don't think they really 'made' that area.
>>
>>3731336
Wait I'm getting confused. The truck can be found outside of the glitch zone as well.

For some reasons I always assumed people were talking about the truck in the glitch zone. Would have been more sense to find Mew there.
>>
I remember a few different methods for getting Aerith back, all bullshit that even back then you would know would not work. I even remember one involving a fourth FFVII disc.

Strangely the only other FF related ones I remember hearing about back when the game in question was new and relevant had to do with FFVIII. First being a way to get all the GFs at the start from some random guy that shows up in the Garden's library, the next being a way to get assigned to a different team during the Dollet invasion changing that part of the story, and the last being some shit with the card game which'll somehow lead to Laguna, Kiros, and Ward to join Squall's party during the part of the game they're hanging around the Ragnorok and staying till the credits.

All the other stuff, like >>3729835 for example, I only ever heard decades later on the internet in threads like this. Seems VII was the only FF to get any fame here and people only latched onto VIII for a time because they were expecting VII-2.
>>
>>3730783
>as well as possible others that could be fought.

I remember one that was

>Get every type of Materia and have at least one of each leveled to max and a new Weapon will appear on the world map

I can't remember what the Weapon's name was supposed to be though.
>>
If you press all the button at once you unlock Devin Jin in Tekken 3.I tried for weeks and even after that just thought my timing was bad.
>>
>>3730480

>not 96 levels

96 exits
>>
>>3729569
I don't think I ever fell for anything as stupid as the majority of hoaxes people always talk about. Even as a kid I knew this stuff sounded bogus, and was clearly just someone making up some ridiculous hoops for people to jump through only to find out they were being played.

Although I suppose I did try out the Mew truck, but I didn't really do it to get Mew, because I knew it wouldn't be there. I did do it to see this weird truck that was totally unique in the game and existed only in one spot that no player would normally reach.

I spent more time trying to find/exploit glitches or trying to reach areas I wasn't supposed to go. I spent a ton of time trying to wall-jump to the top of Peach's Castle in Mario 64. Apparently it actually can be done, but I never quite managed.
>>
>>3729569
There was two things :
>Prince of Persia's last boss apparently used fireballs and bolts against you,
>Medievil has a secret level near the Asylum Ground level (that one was less bogus because an action replay showed a secret cutscene and an unused track), and the last level was the Battlefield.
>>
>>3730482
Same here (Canada) except it was "My uncle works in Japan for Nintendo and he showed me this new system, it's called the Nintendo Dolphin and it plays high definition video games better than the GameCube" (I later found out this particular rumor he told me was actually from an old article talking about how good the GameCube would be because it was nicknamed the Dolphin but we already had Gamecubes for two years)
>My friend from Japan is visiting and he has a Super Nintendo 3 and it plays a new Mario game I can't legally tell you about.
>>
>>3731360
I know.
>>
>>3732541
I had one of those weird friends who constantly lies (like Jay from The Inbetweeners).

He told me that a mate of his got to Bowser in SMW, then found a way to pull him out of his clown craft, then you got to choose your weapon before fighting Bowser in a beat em up.

He also told me that there was already a sequel and you got to see Bowser's grave.
>>
>>3729569

Being able to perform a "Sexality" in Mortal Kombat... seems stupid, I know, but EVERYONE around me claimed it was possible and that they've seen it.
>>
>>3731336
>>3731345
You were still not supposed to be able to go there, so they probably just didn't bother to remove the truck.
>>
That there was a "secret code" in Doom that would make you invincible and give you unlimited ammo, almost like making into some sort of God.
>>
No one believed me about the Hylian Loach.
>>
>>3729569
When playing Super Hangon, my cousin told me the rider will lose his leg and you can't play for over an hour if you drag knee for too long. Made it really far though the game. Kek.
>>
>>3732553
I wish they interviewed like 1000 Video Game Jays and just made a game based on the ridiculous lies they concoct.
>>
>>3729569
Not really a hoax as much as he was just straight up lying, but a friend on the playground told me he had the cheat to unlock dark tooth for tm2. even game me a believable string of buttons as the code. i was ecstatic, until i got home.
>>
>>3731105
It's almost certainly a leftover that was forgotten about.

But I like the idea that someone put it there solely to fuck with people who were insane enough to make it over there. Get the kids talking and keep the game in their minds longer.
>>
>>3731105
You could just faint to trainers on the ship after getting cut and the boat wouldn't depart.

Return later with surf.
>>
File: super-mario-world-craigslist.png (263KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-world-craigslist.png
263KB, 500x625px
My brother convinced me that there was a secret exit in SMW Vanilla Dome 3 as it was the only big yellow level of the game

Supposedly you needed to take the p-switch in the end of the level to the beginning in order to get a secret door. My brother had a good laugh seeing me try a few times as it was impossible if I'm not mistaken
>>
Am I the only one who never felt for any of EGM's April Fool hoaxes? They always seemed to blatantly fake to me. Then again, I always read multiple gaming rags besides them, so it's pretty obvious to tell when they were off on something.
>>
>>3730331
Their stats are shit too.
But it's still kinda neat having a half dozen moogles on your team.
>>
>>3733794
>it was the only big yellow level of the game
Never really understood why it was big myself.
>>
>>3734181

Because of the "upper tier" with the muncher plants and so forth.
>>
Someone told me if you jumped the barriers in Super Mario Kart you could make it all the way to Super Mario 64..
>>
>>3732961
well there was iddqd that made you invincible
>>
File: 79458538.jpg (54KB, 603x393px) Image search: [Google]
79458538.jpg
54KB, 603x393px
>>3729947

>That you could save Paul in Deus Ex.

I finished the game the first time without saving him, the second play-through I stayed at the "Ton and killed all the enemies but he still died even if he told me Smuggler was taking him to Hong Kong and thanks for helping him, later I read in some website he lives if you allow yourself to "die" in the apartment or leaving the 'Ton through front door, and his death is only triggered by leaving the 'Ton from the back window.

That pissed me off a little.
>>
>>3730482
>At least in Argentina there was always someone who had a cousin in USA, Italy or Spain that had bought a console two generations ahead or something.

Or the kid that had a cousin living in Japan , the US or Panama that watched the sequel of Dragon Ball GT called Alpha or AF and in that Pan totally could turn into Super Saiyan 1 , Gohan can turned into SSJ4, and Goku and Vegeta turned into white haired Super Saiyans Omega that can destroys Galaxies or the Universe, and it was partially "true" since the kid had "official" art on a Floppy Disk to prove it.

Hilariously Dragon Ball Super seems to follow a similar fan-fiction-like plot.
>>
Someone told me you could make the original game boy into a color by snipping a wire inside. I snipped some random wire like a fucking idiot and ruined my favorite toy. I cried for hours and was depressed until I got a new one.

Read you could play as cyborg ninja in Mgs if you beat it 18 times. I got about 9.

PSM magazine has an April fool's issue with a tomb raider game that starred a naked girl.
>>
If you hold B when using a pokeball on a wild pokemon, it increases the likelihood of catching it if you don't let go of B the whole time

>tfw do this instinctively still despite knowing it's false
>>
>>3734629
Oh? I thought the trigger was whether or not there are still UNATCO operative in the hotel.
>>
>>3730348
already fake, but possible for a SMW hack
>>
I'm not sure I fell for any. I might have beleived something if I read a hoax in a magazine but I never believed a word That Kid ever said, and boy he spun some tall tales. Even as a child I always had a keen nose for bullshit.
>>
>>3734791
as a kid, I heard mash b, and then later hold a+b+down
and I do still
>>
>>3734973
Aren't you too old to play Pokemon?
>>
>>3734978
>implying the target audience for Pokemon isn't twenty-somethings now
>>
>>3734668
>Someone told me you could make the original game boy into a color by snipping a wire inside. I snipped some random wire like a fucking idiot and ruined my favorite toy.

Something tells me you ate a lot of glue as a kid.
>>
>>3732961
>make you invincible

I can certainly vouch for that part.
>>
Sheng Long
>>
>>3732553

I had a friend like that too. He told so many weird lies about secret things you could do in Metal Gear Solid that the stuff he made up practically constituted a whole new game. For the life of me I can't actually remember *what* he said, but I remember that I listened to him even knowing it was bullshit because it was actually pretty interesting.

The kid could have been a great fanfic writer if he didn't have the spelling ability of a dyslexic 5-year-old.
>>
>>3736186
We stood no chance at defeating him.
>>
Some fag tried telling me last year at an expo you could program flappy bird into Mario using timed jumps.
I know now obviously why its the stupidest ruse ever attempted, liar.
>>
Rescuing Schala in Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3734181
>>3734492
Bug curcled levels have more time on the clock. Double, I think.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.