[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Save states

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: Dejavu226.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Dejavu226.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
Do you approve the use of save-states to save between levels instead of save scumming?
>>
>>3729212
personally no, games are designed for you to fail at constantly. this prepares you for later stages and if you can't do things correctly then technically you never learned anything or paid any attention. that's how i feel

why do you want approval anyway
>>
When I was a lad I used to use savestates. I'd use them to get past difficult parts of games, or as a fast alternative to save points in RPGs. Now that I'm older, I only use them if I'm hacking a game.

I think I stopped using them after getting burned playing Breath of Fire. I was near the end of the game fighting some little kid at the top of a huge tower. Something happened with the savestate and I ended up saving a bug-frozen game. When I loaded up the SRAM, it seemed I hadn't saved in 30+ hours, so I just dropped the fucking game.

Since then I have recognized when I first was playing Tetris Attack, I thought the AI was literally unbeatable unless you used savestates, yet now I can crush any opponent in 15 seconds. I think save states limit your ability to get good at a game, feel accomplished when you beat a challenge, and generally detract from the experience. Maybe you don't feel the same way, but I'd recommend against there use.
>>
Yes, I need to play every retro game possible and doing games traditionally is for fags.
>>
>>3729236
>I think save states limit your ability to get good at a game, feel accomplished when you beat a challenge, and generally detract from the experience. Maybe you don't feel the same way, but I'd recommend against there use.
>Now that I'm older, I only use them if I'm hacking a game.
my nigga knows what he's talking about

preach
>>
>>3729212
When I was a kid I would save scum a lot. Nowadays I only do it when I don't feel like playing anymore and only to be able to get back to the game.

tho I did save scummed fairly recently when I was playing Ninja Gaiden
>>
>>3729237
For me it's a bit of this but...
>>3729236
Also a bit of this. Some games I actually take the time to git gud at (two in particular come to mind; Castlevania III and Contra Hard Corps), it feels so good to finally beat those cunt bosses, clear everything and see the ending.

Nothing really comes close to that. If I'm playing to cross shit off my list and I'm not really that into it I'll save scum because fuck it. I also save to keep my place in old games that don't have saves if I've got shit to do, I don't consider that cheating.
>>
>>3729212
No cause some games that rely on pseudo random numbers end up giving the same scenarios some of which can be unbeatable.
>>
Depends on the games, and how you use save states.

I think it's alright to do it on games with a password system, because fuck that mess. The password system was killed off by save files for a reason.

Saving before a super difficult boss that reaching is easy, but long and tedious, fine.

Saving in between each successful hit on said boss, not okay, take your loss like a man.

I think it also depends on how much you care about the game you're playing. If you're not that invested in the game and you just want to get through it, then be a little more generous with the saves.

But if you're super into the game, having a lot of fun, generally enjoying the ride, use saves as little as possible if at all.

And under no circumstances whatsoever is it ok to savescum on neverending arcade games where the only point is to get the highest score you can.
>>
you wouldn't savestate irl
>>
I use them instead of passwords
>>
I like rewinding better myself. I give myself 3 or 4 rewinds per stage. Makes bullshit hard games that are genuinely unfair much much more palatable, you should try it guys. It's in Retroarch Wii and Mednafen Wii
>>
>>3729297
Saving before a boss fight ruins the challenge and risk from a game. It makes the boss pointless.

If you are using save states in any way other than to continue a game (so you can turn emulator off) you are cheating and can't say you "beat" a game.
>>
>>3729339
Fuck yeah I would.
>>
>>3729212
Only time I used a save state was to beat Ninja Gaiden 1. Kinda always felt wrong about it.
>>
>>3729339
Like "you wouldn't download a car" ?
>>
i couldn't care less about how other people play games
>>
>>3729339
I absolutely would save state in real life.
>>
>>3729212
I approve doing anything the player likes to enjoy the game they have more. If it's no saves and 1ccs only and you like it, great. If it's saving as you go and you like it, great.
>>
What about using save states in password screens?
>>
>Duke nukem 64
>If you die you restart the entire level

How the fuck is anyone expected to beat this shit.
>>
>>3729212
Instead of save scumming, yeah that's good.

Personally I only use them if I need to stop playing. Beats leaving the computer turned on.
>>
>>3729837
simple, don't die
>>
Depends entirely on the game. Some games can't be assed to play fair, so I see no shame in returning the favor. Though if I resort to full-blown save scumming, it's probably a game I wasn't enjoying in the first place.
>>
>>3729880
This.
>>
I only use save states if a section of a game is becoming more tedious than challenging.

Fuck Relics in Crash Bash.
>>
>>3729212

Not unless the game has a password system you don't want to bother with
>>
>>3729221

This

These older arcade style games are gated by skill not only at individual points but by your ability to get through the early levels with the greatest amount of resources remaining so you can use them for later bits. It's like doing one part of an obstacle course then then saying you'll be back tomorrow for the next bit. Endurance and learning the fame is part of the experience.

It's not about bragging rights or being hardcore, it's about how the games are designed. You're supposed to actually learn the game and ise that skill and knowlede to progress. Otherwise you're just lucking through.
>>
File: 1367080519924.jpg (18KB, 326x264px) Image search: [Google]
1367080519924.jpg
18KB, 326x264px
>>3729339
m8 I would abuse that shit until my brain became physically unable to store new information
>>
>>3729339
>wake up
>quicksave
>view lotto numbers
>quickload
>buy ticket
>win millions
>quicksave
>rape/killing spree
>quickload
>repeat
>>
>>3731347
You're thinking smalltime

>quicksave
>live another 50 years dedicating every moment to mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, and other STEM fields
>memorize every single detail of new discoveries and technologies
>quickload
>bring futuristic advancements to the market 50 years early
>quicksave
>repeat
>>
>>3731395
>save corrupted
>>
>>3731397
>not just resetting the game and starting over from the day you were born
>>
>>3731395
>>3731347
Except savestates/loads erase everything, like actual saves for instance. You guys are forgetting that you are the protagonist in all this, not an external God like players are.
In other words you wouldn't be remembering anything.

Basically all you could do is load an earlier state if you fuck up, but not knowing if you'll do better, and not remembering when/if you loaded a state before. It would be hell.
Constant reliving your mistakes without even realizing it. Being tempted to load but doing worse and not even knowing it.
>>
>>3731419
How would it be hell if you don't remember it?
>>
>>3731419
If we're already assuming a retarded hypothetical superpower exists I think it'd be reasonable to assume a retarded hypothetical requisit for said superpower to be meaningful is also present
>>
>>3729212
I approve of save states any time I feel like using them. I only emulate on the road. I'm not going to sit there like an ass finishing a game or getting to a save point when I reach my destination.
>>
>>3731478

Yeah man I get it, sometimes I like to play Candyland by myself and I just toss out cards I don't like and draw again. Winning is fun!
>>
>>3731730
>the post
>
>
>your head
>>
I personally don't consider a game "beat" if I used save states. Save states are gay when they alter the way the gameplay is meant to be experienced.

In Resident Evil you have to play all the tedious stuff again when you game over, if you want a no-save run. That's part of the challenge, and adds to the stressful frenzy of dodging deadly enemies having almost no health left, just to conserve ammunition. You're anxious, because you'll lose a shitload of progress if you fuck up. I remember playing through Resident Evil 2 like four times in one night, because I kept dying at the very end with no saves.
>>
>>3729212
No but yes. Depends on the game. Platformers obviously no but more timesink games like RPGs then probably yes.

I approve of fast forward more.
>>
>>3731419
So it wouldn't change anything at all then?
You make decisions based on what has happened to you in the past and how previous decisions have turned out.
The only thing that would change would be quantum mechanics shit.
>>
File: apogee.png (19KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
apogee.png
19KB, 320x200px
>>3729212
No.

Between levels is often, it's not far from save scumming.

Numerous DOS titles split the game up into 2 or 3 episodes. I'll say THAT is the maximum tolerable amount, saving 2 or 3 times in the game. And many games seem pretty natural to beat without saving anyway. I can allow an exception for something like Mario 3, the SNES follow up allowed you to save throughout the game, and it allowed warping, so it evidently didn't quite expect you to beat it all in one go, so I'll compare that to a game that gets split into 6 episodes.
>>
>>3732137
>I have to improve shit game design with made up challenges instead of actually fixing it via external methods
Do you hear yourself?
>>
>>3729212
I do it if I just want to play through a game.
I don't go around bragging like a beat the game legit, although nobody does that IRL.

I have more games to play than I have time to play them, so I savescum some games just to finish them. My normie friends like this aspect, and it makes getting them to play easier.

I do it just to make the spergs in these threads upset. It's so satisfying knowing that meaningless pastimes of mine are so important
>>
>>3729212
They're fine for games that should have saves (Mario 3 or SNES Jurassic Park)
>>
>>3732518
but senpai you can play 3 levels then return to any world you want in mario 3

has nobody told you about the whistles?
>>
I dont use savestates if im playing in the original console.

but if im playing something like ff5 on an emulator on my phone, ill use it but only as an alternate save point.
wont abuse it and save every time I kill a monster or during boss fights
>>
>>3729412

The threat of tedium is a shitty risk.
>>
I use savestates if I'm playing a shootemup like Gradius or Parodius and hard platformers
>>
I have a different question for everyone in this thread.

Is it ok to use save states in a game, if a re-release of the game (Say, Mario 1 on the SNES, and maybe the GBC but idk) let's you save?
>>
>>3729212
That's actually how they're intended and yes, I do use them that way. Beats using passwords or having no save at all.
>>
>>3732551
The horror! You're not experiencing the game as the developers originally intended. You should carry an original console and CRT with you to play. You must not use save states. If you're playing on your console and CRT while waiting for a flight and you can't get to a save point in time you must take a later flight.
Multiple underage aspies on the internet have confirmed that this is a fundamental and inflexible law of the universe so you must comply.
>>
>>3732648
I do it on every game no matter what because I'm a spoiled SNES kiddie.
>>
>>3732705

You're retarded m8
>>
>>3732765
He's obviously kidding
>>
>>3732648
If the game let's you save, why would you need save states in first place?

Anon asked forr its use in retro games that doesn't let you save in special cases or as an alternative to passwords.
>>
>>3732765
>i 8 the b8 m8
Yes, the one who's retarded here is totally not you.
>>
>>3733023
I'm asking about using save states in the original version.

Emulating NES mario bross, but saving where the SNES re-release would let you save.
>>
>>3733165
Ahhh oh.
I guess it's fine to use them in the original versions as long as it's not scumming but the original SMB doesn't really need it.
>>
>>3733021
>>3733112

No I mean his shitty strawman is retarded you dips. No one think taking a CRT on a flight with you is a real suggestion
>>
>>3729212
i don't give a shit as long as you don't claim to have beaten the game.
>>
>>3729297
This nigga knows.
>>
File: 1456323584583.jpg (439KB, 800x1114px) Image search: [Google]
1456323584583.jpg
439KB, 800x1114px
Aesir tier:
not using save states, only using the in-game save features intended by the developers

Vanir tier:
only saving a state when you want to quit playing, and loading state when you want to resume

Norn tier:
using save states as a replacement for the in-game save feature (i.e., only using it where you could normally save)

Jotun tier:
treating save states as an "undo" feature
>>
File: scoping it out.jpg (66KB, 627x429px) Image search: [Google]
scoping it out.jpg
66KB, 627x429px
>>3729212

I use them to save on frustration. I notice and admit my mistakes but I would keep going, reload normal save games and retry the things I often use save states to get around.

Checkpoints are a modern feature even though technically it was a retro feature, but they more organically and harmoniously regulate saving in a game so that its reasonable (except when developers want to be a dick to you and put an unhealthy distance between some checkpoints).

Its usually my way of emulating checkpoints.

Usually I do it right after boss fights, hard ones or ones that I almost died for some reason. Some games like to throw a couple boss fights at you back to back... id rather just lock in my victory.

(not retro, but reminds me of RE4 when you destroy Verdugo and I believe without even running into the merchant again you are pitched against a Dr. Salvador . . . and then a double Gigante fight that is questionably just as hard as Verdugo was and worth killing Verdugo with a bunch of magnum shots just so you can save the Rocket for a Gigante)

For example RE1 and RE2 I see as sort of performances rather than games, you're not even supposed to save since that immediately drops you from A+.

But I really just like exploring those maps sometimes, im not testing my performance of it because its a story to me (I can even see how the strange puzzle items in RE2 could be explainable, since Chief Irons said he was going to make it as hard as possible for people to escape his town or the precinct).

I like sometimes using different items, maybe take an easier way by hitting annoying enemies with the magnum rather than plugging away like I should.

Some other games like Silent Hill its not about making the game easier but about Choices. Saving is easy but there's a few times where the scenery changes and you really just cannot go back (at least in that game its not a cheesy dynamic to move the game along like a gate that swings shut, the scenery is literally changing).
>>
>>3729212
Depends.
If it's on say a handheld or something where battery life can be kind of an issue then yeah I approve.
At home on a console or PC? No, you sit there and you get to that next save point only then you can sleep.
>>
>>3734253
But anon, Rocket Knight Adventures 2 doesn't have save points at all.

Or Batman and Robin for Genesis.
>>
>>3734480

Yeah but those games are less than an hour long

Also which Sparkster are you talking about
>>
>>3733232
>not talking a CRT on the flight with you as the developers originally intended.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.