[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overrated or worth a playthrough? FF VI and SMB3 are some of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: supermariorpg.jpg (22KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
supermariorpg.jpg
22KB, 270x187px
Overrated or worth a playthrough? FF VI and SMB3 are some of my favorite games btw.
>>
Is a great game on his own, but dont expect anything challenging or complex here. The best definition for this game could be "My first JRPG".
>>
The best "babby's first JRPG"
>>
I never understood the appeal of this game even when it first came out. Mario makes for some great platforming action, but the Mushroom Kingdom "universe" is pure ad hoc garbage-tier babby food.
>>
>>3729002
OP didn't post Chrono Nigger.
>>
>>3729048

This game is even easier than Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3728995
I enjoyed the writing and lament that Booster never appeared in another game. Yes it's worth playing.
>>
>>3728995
Definitely worth playing
>>
>>3728995
Is the Baby's first RPG, but it's the BEST baby's first RPG.

And excellent game on his own, I haven't seen this amounts of fun and feels on any other game, it's totally worth multiple playthroughs.
It's a really honest and fun game.
>>
>>3729146
Even better than Pokemon though? I thought that was babby's first RPG.
>>
It is fun with great music, a nice graphical style, and neat characters. Timed hits/action commands + basic platforming add a bit of actual gameplay beyond simply selecting commands from a menu.
>>
>>3729146

Basically this.

this being my first RPG conditioned me to "time my hits" on games that don't even feature the mechanic.

It's really weird though, aside from a few familiar characters and monsters, this game really doesn't feel like a Mario game.

>>3729305
I'd say it's even easier to understand than Pokemon.
>>
it's a fun game that doesn't take itself seriously
timed attacks/blocking should've been copied by waaaaay more games
>>
I'm not so detached that I can't profess to genuinely enjoy something by disparaging it as a 'baby JRPG'.

I prefer to think of this game as 'comfy'.
>>
Why are people here so against something simple or "easy"?
I don't think every game should be a deep masterpiece with some hidden message and outstanding gameplay.

I mean, I also love hardcore games, but sometimes something relaxing and comfy to play is also pretty good.
>>
It's an absolute blast playing with another friend while slamming beers. The writing and jokes in the game will make you laugh your drunk ass off.
>>
>>3729632
Man I agree...
>>
>>3729632
Hardcore is a design style, not a difficulty setting, Jagged Alliance 2 can be considered hardcore even though it's easy.
>>
>>3729319
>tfw have friend who plays all kinds of more complicated RPGs but can't into Pokemon
>>
>>3728995
>be considered hardcore even though it's easy

Explain, I want a real argument
>>
>>3728995
Definitely worth it. The only flaw is the short length really.
Constantly entertaining and quite funny. Battle mechanics are simple but fun and hard to master due to the timed mechanic. Platforming sections in the mix keep the game varied. Nice visuals (if you play as the devs intended).
And last but not least, the pretty good OST. ...Which serves as the basis for 30% of japanese MAD's for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqRDfdDR40
>>
>>3731520
Hardcore = Requires long term planning that spans the entire game and has permanent consequences such as permadeath and being locked out of things as a result of poor decisions or bad luck. Unwinnable states are not just possible, but should be expected.

Casual = Can be pick up and play with little to no long term planning. Permanent consequences tend to be only "Start the level over".
>>
It's the best Mario rpg game for me. I love particularly the music / art style / the side quest. Only bad thing about that game is that most of the characters not made by Nintendo felt really disappointing.

I also agree with people, it's not because the game is easy that it does not worth playing
>>
>>3729002
>>3729146
Better than FF mystic quest?
>>
>>3731984
considering MQ isn't good, sure
>>
>>3728995
Don't expect plot more complex than a cartoon. But it's actually solid, IMO.

Of course like others have said, it's a very simple, basic RPG. It has no 'mature' RPG features like classes, skill trees, complex tactics, etc—if that's the only thing you're looking for, forget this game forever. It's also a bit clunky like a lot of isometric platformers, and certain puzzles and gimmicky parts can be annoying. The towns feel a bit pointless and basic, maybe because Mario never had very good of a lore—at least not enough for an RPG.

But on the upside, its combat is very fun—the ability to do more damage if you time the move right feels really good, and other abilities play around similar mechanic, allowing for potentially huge combos if you git gud. The game provides quite a big variety with its locations and platforming parts, and despite they don't shoot for the stars, there's almost always something fun going on in a certain area. Plus the original characters, though looking a bit out of place, turn out actually interesting.

The graphics are IMO amazing, but it's a matter of taste—some people dislike pre-rendered 3D in general. The music though is absolutely gorgeous, with some of the catchiest tunes you'll hear on SNES.

Overall, I wouldn't call it a very good conversion of Mario to an RPG though, to me it felt a bit clunky and weird of a hybrid overall. And let's be frank, the "isometric Mario" part of it is not the level of quality you'd expect from a "real" Mario game. Nevertheless, I think it's a fun and solid game, without glaring flaws and lows.
>>
Still the best Mario RPG game, though TTYD comes pretty damn close to surpassing it.
>>
>>3731984
Even E.T. for atari is better than MQ.
>>
SMRPG is top tier nigga. Too bad Square couldn't do a sequel.
>>
>>3729080
What's a hard RPG then? FF6?
>>
>>3732464
Adolescence is idolizing RPGs.
Adulthood is realizing roguelikes made so much more sense...
>>
>>3728995
You can burn through it in a day easily.

So yes its worth a playthrough,
>>
>>3732464
On the SNES?

SMT
BoF II
>>
File: rpg2.gif (59KB, 250x312px) Image search: [Google]
rpg2.gif
59KB, 250x312px
Don't even listen to the babby's first RPG shits. Sure it is easy but it's structure and immersion is much much better than any RPG that is solely built to focus on the newcomers to RPG's that don't understand anything about it. But it does to happen to be good enough to be the first for many people. Don't look at it for it's difficulty but for how fun hearted and relaxing it is.
>>
>>3731560
>Unwinnable states are not just possible, but should be expected.
So hardcore: means it's poorly designed.
Casual: doesn't necessarily mean it's poorly designed.
>>
>>3729106
I always thought he was Wario for some reason
>>
>>3735376
He's "not Wario"
>>
>>3735340
Unwinnable as a result of repeated constant fuckups that only an idiot would make.
>>
>>3735429
Aren't all RPG's like that?
>>
>>3735479
Many RPGs let you grind until you're strong enough to do anything
>>
>>3728995
This game is goat. Great sound and atmosphere, and it's fun to explore and talk to people. I wish I could play it for the first time again.
>>
C-CUZ YOUR SKATEBOARDING O-ON THE BUILDING
>>
It's overrated AND worth a playthrough.
>>
>>3732464
RPGs are babbys first roguelike
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.