[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this an essential /vr/ console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 2

File: master.png (163KB, 450x328px) Image search: [Google]
master.png
163KB, 450x328px
Is this an essential /vr/ console?
>>
>>3728158
You don't like Star Trek?
>>
>>3728158
Not while the power base converter and/or everdrive exists.

It does look kinda cool though, I'll give you that.
>>
It's Sega, so yes.
It's Sega's most irrelevant console though. (figuratively, inb4 people mentioning SG-1000 or Pico)
>>
I head it was better than then nes but the marketing sucked in the us
>>
>>3728190
It has somewhat superior hardware for the most part. Outside of that, the Master System isn't remotely in the same league as the NES.

It's still not a bad console, though, and it has a few games that are well worth playing.
>>
>>3728178
Came to say Everdrive. It's got a good grip of great games, but it probably isn't worth the dedicated hardware, since MD EDs platy SMS games with only a few incompatibilities. Even SMS controllers work on the MD, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>3728183
>Sega's most irrelevant console though
But OP didn't post the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3728158
It's a great console, but pales in comparison to the Famicom/NES no matter what the Sega Nuts and/or Aussies/HueHueHues tell you.
>>
>>3728158
>essential
Nah. It had almost no support from US or Japan beside Sega itself. Thank Nintendo for that.
>>
>>3728178
>>3728220
Yeah I was thinking about picking this up along with the EverDrive.
>>
>>3728178
>>3728220
makeing a SMS FM capable costs less than a Powerbase converter FM compatible
>>
>>3728158
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0Q9L6Pi0I
>>
Wait a minute I didn't realize the Mega Everdrive supports Master System. This changes everything....
>>
>>3728329
It even supports SG-1000 (sound only though)
>>
>>3728190
>>3728214
I remember noting that the graphics looked nicer but the sound sucked compared to the NES.
>>
>>3728334
What so you cant see the game but you can hear the sound of your character dying repeatedly on account of you not being able to see shit?
>>
>>3728334
You mean it's just a black screen but the music and SFX plays?
>>
>>3728158
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Master_System_games
See by yourself. Personally, I think it has a nice list of games but nothing very outstanding besides Phantasy Star, Sonic games, Ninja Gaiden and some ports like R-Type and Darius II.
>>
>>3728385
>>3728384
Yes, Mega Drive doesn't support the video mode that the SG-1000 displays, so you can play the games, but you can't see anything whatsoever
>>
>>3728393
Disney games
Master of Darkness
Aztec Adventure
Dynamite Dux
Double Dragon
Kenseiden
Rastan
Wonderboy series

make the system worthwhile
>>
>>3728457
>so you can play the games
>but you can't see anything whatsoever
Pick one.
>>
>>3728472
Joke's on you

I'm Daredevil
>>
>>3728231

>my childhood feelings and perceptions are better than your childhood feelings and perceptions

It has a superior hardware, at the expense of library. The opposite case of the NES.

No point in debating which is better. Both can be acquired and enjoyed at piss cheap prices.
>>
>>3728318
I'd be interested in reading on how to do that, for both. Documentation on such mods seems scarce.
>>
>>3728497
Don't know about the Powerbase one but Etim (who made a board that works for non-japanese SMS) made a guide http://etim.net.au/smsfm/smsfm.html

>>3728472
blinde people can play it, your move
>>
>>3728586
>blinde people can play it, your move
Shit, I never thought of that.
>>
>>3728472
I take it you never cleared Tetris TGM
>>
>>3728634
No. I've never played it. Is it a game based on sonar or something?
>>
>>3728639
The last level is invisible, so you have to keep track of all the pieces in your head, while the credits are rolling.
>>
Does anyone know if the 3-D games can be played without the glasses? Or do they give those double lines for stereoscopic view whatsoever?
>>
>>3730117
You can they just look a little blurry
>>
If you're in Europe or Australia (or Brazil), yes.

The US library is limited. This is a huge problem when you consider how limited the library already was thanks to Nintendo's strict policy on prohibiting third party developers from porting their games over to other systems.
>>
>>3728158
I argue it is if you are from an area where it was big and especially if it has nostalgia value for you.
Its entirely skippable if you from the united states or somewhere where it didn't have much traction though.
>>
it's a great console but to be honest most of the decent games you find on it are also on the mega drive so it isn't really essential.

It's still an interesting little device though and i enjoy mine.
>>
>>3730117
there is a secret way to boot the games into 2d. you hold a button on startup or something.
>>
>>3730813
>it's a great console but to be honest most of the decent games you find on it are also on the mega drive so it isn't really essential.

This is not true at all unless you think the only good games on Master System were the arcade ports (which is also untrue).
>>
>>3728178
>It does look kinda cool though, I'll give you that.
Aye, it's the second best looking Sega console (behind model 1 Jap Mega Drive).
>>
>>3728158
No. An MD can do everything it can and more.

>>3728318
Making an MD FM capable costs exactly the same as doing it to an SMS

>>3730117
Not sure if it applies to all games but usually you can toggle 3D on/off.
>>
It is a great console with some awesome ports, but I wouldn't call it essential considering how expensive it can be. Also the controller is fucking weird.

I always thought the SMS had the best version of Space Harrier. Also the Sonic 1/2 ports are really fucking cool just because they're different. Alex Kidd and Choplifter were awesome too.
>>
>>3728158
>Ctrl+f
>not a single mention of Zillion
I am severely disappoint, /vr/.
>>
>>3728493
>Both can be acquired and enjoyed at piss cheap prices.
The NES too?

What backwards land do you live in where anything NES is cheap?
>>
Master System might just be the worst console I've had the misfortune of playing.
>>
>>3735090
Why?
>>
>>3728158
Not essential but ifs allot of fun. Was just playing carmen sandiego the other day and realising how little i know about geography. R type is sick.
>>
>>3728183
It's their second best console, you mean.

Mega Drive > Master System > Dreamcast > Saturn > the rest
>>
>>3731512
Expensive? It's one of the cheapest consoles to collect for.
>>
The essential consoles are the C64, ZX Spectrum, SC-3000, Amiga, Master System, Lynx, Mega Drive, 3DO, Saturn, and Dreamcast. The rest are not essential.
>>
>>3735061

Considering this boards demographics, if you find issue with purchasing a nes+flashcard a significant financial burden, then its time to reevaluate some life choices you made.
>>
>>3735238
>no nintendo

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1243324147748.jpg (20KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
1243324147748.jpg
20KB, 475x475px
>>3735234
>Master System better than Saturn
>>
>>3735408
Leave Nintendo to Americans.
>>
>>3735109
Barren library (makes the N64's and PC Engine's look impressive by comparison), and the games it does have got outclassed by games for the Famicom. For proof, look at Ninja Gaiden on SMS vs. any of the NES ones and you'll see how Nintendo cared about quality control much more than Sega did.
>>
>>3735408
>replying to australia-kun

>>3735968
And Japan.
>>
>>3735238
>C64
meh
>ZX Spectrum
garbage
>SC-3000
garbage
>Amiga
garbage
>Master System
garbage
>Lynx
garbage
>Mega Drive
good
>3DO
garbage
>Saturn
good
>Dreamcast
meh
>>
>>3735998
t. Nintenyearold
>>
>>3736016
>mega drive good

A "nintenyearold" wouldn't say that.
>>
>>3736016
>discrediting good games due to brand favouritism

HELLOOOOOOOOO REDDIT!
>>
>>3735970
>not liking SMS Ninja Gaiden
I recently played both and I liked the SMS version better.
>>
>>3735238
>consoles
solid bait
>>
>>3736045
>You don't like scrolling in your games?
>>
>>3736026
>>3736028
Hi Nintoddlers. How about you scamper on back to >>>/v/ and let the big boys talk, eh?
>>
>>3736050
So you're implying a "Nintenyearold/Nintoddler" would say the Mega drive was good?
>>
>>3736050
>trying this hard
All those 50hz games must have made you slow in the head
>>
>>3736059
The younger generation of drones don't see Sega as an enemy having gone 3rd party after the Dreamcast and featuring Sanic in Smash, so yes. Still only see it as "good" at best as anything not shat out by Miyamoto-sama is inferior in their eyes.
>>
>>3736083
>being this butthurt at people enjoying Nintendo
Stay bitter and jaded, ojiisan.
>>
>>3736092
Nintendo is (or was anyway) fine. SNES is my favorite console in fact. It's just their elitist cultists such as yourself that I can't stand.
>>
>>3736083
I think you're just projecting your own console war traumas into the younger generations, though.

>he wasn't an idort growing up

Poor bastard.
>>
>>3736112
Former Nintendrony actually. The battered housewife syndrome could only continue for so long.
>>
>>3734068
no Psycho Fox or Exerion either
>>
>>3735970
>and PC Engine's
You are correct about N64, but PC Engine library is amazing, take that back.
>>
>>3730813
that's like saying most of the decent NES games can be found on the snes
>>
>>3736117
As I thought, a single-system peasant.

>using the good old "I am/was a nintendo fan" to shit on the company

Just simplify and admit you're a cancerous console/brand warrior and be done with it.
>>
>>3736136
>Mario all stars
Yep checks out
To be honest idk how anyone can stand to play anything older than genesis
>>
>>3736161
Drone (you betray yourself with the continued butthurt over perceived insult to the Big N), you wish you could have been a veteran of the 16-bit Wars. Shit was like an arms race, with Sega and Ninty continuously BTFO'ing each other with the latest weapon on their arsenal. Drove a lot of innovation as a result, it was really something to behold and kept trips to the video rental stores exciting af. Sure there was shit talking the "enemy" side, but nothing like the cancerous fanboyism that was to come. And as far as only owning one console at a time, not all of us had rich parents growing up champ.
>>
>>3736298
>continued butthurt over perceived insult to the Big N

But you're wrong, I'm just pointing out a Nintendo fanboy wouldn't call the Mega Drive good, same as how a Sega fanboy wouldn't call the SNES good.

>you wish you could have been a veteran of the 16-bit Wars

I started playing games on gen 2.
By 4th gen I was an idort.

>but nothing like the cancerous fanboyism that was to come

You mean like yourself right now?

>And as far as only owning one console at a time, not all of us had rich parents growing up champ.

I can understand that, but it's still shitty to be a brand-warrior because your parents could only afford one system.
>>
>>3736161
>being glad you jewed yourself by buying multiple systems instead of sticking with the best system from each generation

Son, I am disappoint.
>>
>>3736310
that's some twisted poorfag logic right there.

>the best system from each generation

You're just saying that you content yourself with roughly 50% of the good stuff from each generation. Maybe even less.
>>
>>3736298
>going on about fanboyism in a thread where there hasn't been any, just bitching about fanboyism
>attempts to give a history lesson
>throws in a "champ" at the end just so everyone knows he means business

Now this is shitposting
>>
>>3736314
You got most of the best games from the '80s and '90s if you had owned NES, SNES and PS1.
>>
>>3736338

>most of

Then that means not all

>SNES and PS1

Debatable, Mega Drive had about the same amount of good games as the SNES, and while the N64 and Saturn had smaller catalogues, they had better exclusives, PS1 was ridded with awful multiplat ports, which were at their worst on PS1.
>>
>>3736340
>Then that means not all
Nobody has enough time to play every game made for a system anyways. Be honest, how many games total for each system did you play by being Idort master race? For the cost of a new Sega console, you could have bought 4 great SNES games instead. Not to mention games on Sega were usually of lower quality than the counterparts on Nintendo.
>>
>>3736349
>Be honest, how many games total for each system did you play by being Idort master race?

A fucking lot, I had about 30 games for each system plus all the rentals/ones I borrowed from friends.

>For the cost of a new Sega console, you could have bought 4 great SNES games instead

why not both

>Not to mention games on Sega were usually of lower quality than the counterparts on Nintendo.
If by counterpart you mean multiplats, then it depends, and most of the times the games weren't even the same, it was worth playing both versions (Sparkster/RKA for example)
>>
>>3736357
I had over 75 SNES games by the time of its death. Sure, I might've missed some decent Sega games, but I still got to enjoy a wider range of videogames than you, an idort, by focusing on one stellar system rather than being a console collector.
>>
>>3736368
I later catch up and got over 100 games for both SNES and Mega Drive.
By the time of SNES and MD's death I was already playing the next generation anyway.
>>
>>3736307
Alright then, my apologies Gramps. You simply had shit taste the whole time. And joke's on you, I like just about all the platforms from Gens 2 - 6. I even have a soft spot for the Philips CD-i.
>>3736315
4U
>>
>>3736349
Some people do. But they spend their time, and your money, doing other things. jk. No on here makes enough to pay taxes.
>>
>>3736404
>You simply had shit taste the whole time.

nice comeback
>>
>>3736415
Just stating the facts, pops. What do you consider to be good / great consoles anyway?
>>
>>3736430
SNES and MD.
>>
>>3736432
That's it? I mean that's my #1 and #3 respectively, but still.
>>
>>3728158
Of course. SoR is unmatched (even in 8bit).
>>
>>3736473
Eh, I prefer Kunio over 8-bit SoR.
>>
>>3736478
Ok
>>
I actually had to track down one of these for my wife, she had one growing up. We use it a lot, its a blast. I never grew up around a master system, shit in my town all we had was the nes until the 16bit era came along.
>>
>>3736631
bro, you can play Master System games with the Retron5.
>>
>>3736037
Same for me.
>>
>>3731512
I wasn't super into the Sonic 1 & 2 ports but I thought Chaos was very nice for what it was, seeing as it wasn't based on any particular game.

And also, it was the first time (that I'm aware of) that you could manually fly as Tails - before even Sonic 3.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.