[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which systems have good enough emulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: NESticle-v0.42.png (41KB, 797x600px) Image search: [Google]
NESticle-v0.42.png
41KB, 797x600px
I move around alot and go overseas, so I have to keep my physical game collection small.

I know the Saturn has a crazy complicated architecture, and the N64 emulation scene is a giant steaming pile, but are there any other consoles/computers from Gen 1-5 that can't be emulated well enough for casual use?

What original hardware is still essential?
>>
PS1, gen 4 and back is acceptable. PS2 is shit, Dolphin is an exception but also has problems.
>>
Don't often hear about people complaining about Genesis or Master System emulation.
>>
Both Super Nintendo and Mega Drive have perfect emulation through bsnes and Genesis Plus GX.
bgb gives near perfect Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulation.
mGBA will do the same for Gameboy Advance, but if you plan on playing any romhacks, you should use VBA-M since no one bothered to test their hacks on hardware.
Mednafen will handle most things, but I'd really only recommend it for PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Virtual Boy, Neo-Geo Pocket, and Wonderswan since everything else has better options.
Obviously Neo-Geo and other arcade games work well through MAME and Final Burn Alpha.

Honestly, I tend to just use Retroarch for most things unless I find a better alternative (ie. bgb over Gambatte).
>>
>>3727108
You haven't been talking to the right people. Sound emulation on Genesis is a constant talking point.
>>
>>3727145
I've heard a lot of talk of fart noises, but assumed that was because the genesis actually makes fart noises?
>>
>>3727161
>>3727145

Sound quality variations between different Genesis hardware revisions is a talking point in and of itself.
>>
>>3727141
What about Mednafen for PCE?
Bizhawk is also a choice for a multi system emulator.
>>
Saturn emulation has gotten a lot better through Mednafen compared to SSF, not all there yet but very close. N64 is still a dumpster fire, open source emulators exist but just never seem to get any better.
>>
File: 1478664785038.jpg (29KB, 529x446px) Image search: [Google]
1478664785038.jpg
29KB, 529x446px
>He posted the "N64 emulation is shit" meme again
Use Glide64 you autistic niggers
>>
>>3727254

A graphics plugin won't fix the literally countless problems with an emulator itself.
>>
>>3727103
>i travel the world but spend all my time in basements playing with toys my dad outgrew
Have you considered warcraft or dota?
All mainstream consoles up through PS1 are emulated well enough for casual use.
>>
File: 1466808104786.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466808104786.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>3727254
>>
>>3727103
Saturn emulation has been near perfect for over a decade.
>>3727218
>Mednafen compared to SSF
It's getting there but there are a lot of compatibility problems and graphics glitches.
>>
>>3729286
>Saturn emulation has been near perfect for over a decade.

Haha, no. It was just like a year ago that any significant reverse engineering effort on the console was actually made. There's a big difference between running and running accurately. You can often make something that runs to some degree just by implementing things as described in the official documentation, but it's going to break down pretty quick with a wide library of games when you get games that rely on undocumented features or quirky hardware behavior.

Most emulators are a lot shoddier than most people realize. It all relies on people doing a lot of rigorous testing on real consoles. Hell, all Sega Genesis emulators are based on a document written up by some guy in like 2002 who went in with a debugger and tested the effects of every single bit of every known register one by one.
>>
>>3729286
>Saturn emulation has been near perfect for over a decade
Top kek kid. If you ever actually tried it instead of just looking at fake comparability list you'd know that's utter bullshit.
>>
>>3728085
rugrats is definitely the game I always wanted to play on N64
>>
Surely this has been asked to death but

Overall, which is better for SNES emulation?
PSP or 3DS with Snes9x?

I've noticed PSP plays everything but sometimes the audio is a bit bad, while snes9x even on o3ds runs at full speed but it can't run a couple of games (namely FX Chip and Kirby 3)

Then again, if you have big hands the PSP may be more comfortable.
>>
>>3730569
I know New3DS is the best for SNES emulation.
PSP requires tweaks mostly.
>>
>>3730579
Sure but not everyone has a New 3ds.

I have both an O3DS and a PSP and find myself alternating between the two, I don't know which one is better.
>>
>>3730569
>Overall, which is better for SNES emulation?
Zsnes, obviously.
>>
>>3729286
Saturn emulation is so far off I doubt we'll have a good emulation in 20 years.
>>
ITT niggers who can't into SSF
>>
>>3730590
Not everyone has a PSP. Not everyone wants poor emulation to save some money.
>>
>>3727141
>bgb
Does anyone know how it handles Shantae? I remember multiple GBC emulators having problems running it back in the day.
>>
>>3731016
Bgb and gambette run it well enough.
>>
File: CPS2 s-l1600.jpg (41KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
CPS2 s-l1600.jpg
41KB, 600x403px
>>3727105
>PS1, gen 4 and back is acceptable.
What do you mean other gen5 is a writeoff...

>>3727103
CPS2 seems to have great emulation. Taito systems have long had quite decent emulation. There's been longstanding competition here. But I would really hope that by now, a few newer systems would have been added to this bunch. So this kind of makes Saturn emulation a bit less needed, but of course Titan is not in the same simple bag as the 68020 based system, or even something a bit more advanced.

Amiga emulation has been rather a pain to get running.

DOS/386/486 has long had good emulation, but the original hardware is still preferable, people have gotten really into smelting down 486s to pentium pros for gold.
>>
>>3727103
>NESticle

Well if you're going for NESticle, a 486 should be enough.....
>>
>>3731338
That's not the meaning of nesticle here, nesticle stands for crude, hacky emulation. Even moreso than ZSNES. Of course, nesticle also allowed you to mess with the game quite a bit, but that's not what's prominent about it.

Though personally I didn't found nesticle to be desecrating games, it was only afterwards with some early linux NES emulator that stuff would feel just wrong, with the drumbeat sound channel being missing.
>>
>>3732423
>words mean what i say they mean
lol
>>
>>3732726
Words don't mean much. Sentences mean stuff. Paragraphs mean even more.

Nobody would worry about nesticle emulating well enough. You're unlikely to have access to a system too slow for it, and it's not likely to get distorted.

Are you really the type of idiot that's in need of words having be-all-end-all meanings?
>>
>>3732775
you're talking nonsense
>>
>>3731146
>DOS/386/486 has long had good emulation, but the original hardware is still preferable, people have gotten really into smelting down 486s to pentium pros for gold.

What the fuck.
First scrappers have been cutting off the power cords and ripping out the copper yokes of CRT TVs and now they are after our Pentiums?

These people are trailer trash scrounging up money for meth aren't they?
It must be a long and tricky process to extract the gold; how much cash do they even make from a single chip?
Wouldn't they make more money just doing jobs for a temp. work agency or working at Wal-mart?
>>
>>3732780
You're spewing nonsense. You're barely talking. You're falling too short of talking to even potentially make sense.
>>
>>3732786
>These people are trailer trash scrounging up money for meth aren't they?
No, unconventional social justice warriors clumsily clawing into a way of operating in meatspace.

>how much cash do they even make from a single chip?

Hmm, I don't know well enough... they can make a significant bit from 486es, k5s and pentium pros, but I'm confused about if they can scrap out comparable amounts from the 68000 and hitachi super-Hs in Sega systems.

Though there are valuable materials in pretty much all parts of computers... actually they aren't particularly focussed on the details. They mainly just envision that they're in the process of establishing themselves as responsible, productive, commendable types of people, and just do their duty churning through unsightly archaic junk as part of that.

Some of these people are seriously messed up and on social assistance, so they are quite likely not to be making money otherwise.
>>
>>3732775
>Words don't mean much
Maybe not to you and the voices in your head but to the rest of the world they do. And it's important that people know the meaning so they can understand each other

>flying turd whistle
See what I mean? You have no idea that means "you're a fucktard" in my made up baby language.
>>
emulation general i guess?

I just modded my N3DS and while I'm mostly pleased, I have some issues. why the hell is retroarch so fucking popular? Iinstalled a couple of the emulators and the fucking thing is terrible. there's no info on the settings, the ones you can dicern are retarded. options that should exsist dont. even though there's multiple emulators they all have the same "shell" which is fucking bs cause they don't all have the same settings.

what are some good emulators I can run on my 3ds? I have both FBI and HBL so I can do .3ds and .cia. how's the ps1 emulation? I'd be fucking happy if it was passable(40fps) and I could play Mega Man Legends.
>>
>>3727145
hasn't been a major issue for years since Kega Fusion was a thing, and later Genesis Plus GX
IIRC, Gens/GS has proper sound emulation too, but I haven't bothered with it.

really, it's mostly official re-releases and the various hardware clones/SOAC bullshit that get shit on for poor sound reproduction these days

>>3734518
Retroarch is popular entirely because it runs a ton of emulators, being built around a library designed to make porting shit to different machines easy.
but it's fucking awful at configuration
>>
I'm constantly switching between the 3ds and PSP, it's horribly.

The PSP is really powerful but can't fucking run SNES well, c'mon, while SNES in 3ds is near perfect even if it can't emulate S1 chips.

I have almost the same retro games on both with the only difference being SNES on 3ds and PSO on PSP.
>>
Alright. What are the "benchmark" games for each system? Games that push hardware to the limit, and are hard to emulate, so if a machine+emulator does them properly at full speed, then it will handle the rest of that system with ease?
>>
>>3727145
>sound
yeah, that's really important.
>>
>>3735205
How can you not love retro game tunes? Like what the fuck are you even doing here?
>>
Important dead consoles with shit or no emulators are:

>PlayStation 3
>Xbox
>Xbox 360
>Sega Saturn
>Sega Dreamcast
>3DO
>CD-i
>N-Gage
>Ouya
>>
>>3735294
i thought this is retro games board not tunes from retro games.

i just played through zelda 1 with no sound, even though the music is great. i generally don't like sounds really, of an kind.
>>
>>3735187
A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol on the SNES.
>>
>>3733030
irony: the post

>>3735294
>How
Anon might not be a chip tune hipster faggot
>>
File: 1464963356172.jpg (92KB, 728x426px) Image search: [Google]
1464963356172.jpg
92KB, 728x426px
>>3735327
>CD-i
>Ouya
>N-gage
>important
>>
>>3735294

I really don't understand the mentality of people who think that good sound emulation isn't important. It's part of the fucking game.

Playing games without sound is just wrong. Morally wrong. It's like eating waffles without syrup. People who do it should be shunned.
>>
>>3735757
Of course, only "chip tune hipster faggots" enjoy playing video games with fucking sound effects.
>>
>>3736484
>chiptunes are great and they're sound effects stop hating brittany.
Top kek kid
>>
File: triggered.jpg (38KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
38KB, 520x520px
>>3733181
Not to twits that just want to spew shit. So obviously such retards will demand for words to mean about three times as much as they do, not being able to stand that sentences or paragraphs mean anything cause they're too fucked up to read them correctly.

The kinds of idiots that need to flip out when stumbling across a word they don't like ... and want to suck up to a prolific namefag.

>See what I mean?
Nope, "turd" isn't a profound enough word to illustrate your non-point. And nice fuck-up, getting into phrases, way to fail at proving the conquering leverage of words.

But ... my condolences for being such a pathetic sack of shit, you can only pick out a single word from a menu and pound your head when you're odorously tasked to pick a whole sentence.
>>
>>3736464
Yeah it is morally wrong. Fuck off you fucking fucktard. Back in the day most of us played Atari/NES/Genesis with the sound turned off and out stereos going.
>>
>>3727161
>I've heard a lot of talk of fart noises, but assumed that was because the genesis actually makes fart noises?

The real hardware has a lot of filtering and a couple of subtle effects which are not emulated.
>>
MAME is fucking amazing for the vast majority of games it emulates.

The entire Neo Geo library by itself is god tier and Mame is the best 99.9% accurate emulator for it.

You can also play stuff that found its way to dreamcast like Tech Romancer and Plasma Sword, as well as all of the amazing capcom 2-d stuff
>>
>>3735327
>PS3
>Dead
>Shit emulators
>Dreamcast
>Saturn
You're pretty bad.
>>
>>3740024
Now that's an informative answer.

I do totally believe about mame accurately emulating up to 4.5th generation games broadly.

Though I'd wonder if it does play 5.5th generation games so well.
>>
>>3733074
>Some of these people are seriously messed up and on social assistance, so they are quite likely not to be making money otherwise.
In other words they're doing it for meth.

>>3732786
Go to a goodwill electronics store on the day the employees restock the store and you shall see the people who do this. Goodwill sells broken computers for $5 a broken computer.
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent virtual drive for Windows 10 (inb4 >windows 10)?

I used to use the free version of Daemon Tools back on my laptops for Vista and 7, but that program now is full of bloatware, adware, malware etc. I tried downloading an older version of DT lite but Windows 10, being the faggoty OS it is, said it couldn't run it (I did get some malware for my trouble, according to anti-malwarebytes which removed it). Some of the alternatives I've tried (WinCDemu and Virtual Clone Drive) can't seem to recognize the ISOs of PC Engine CD games that worked just fine with Daemon Tools.
>>
>>3727141
>perfect emulation through bsnes and Genesis Plus GX.

>Muh accuracy

Kega werks just fine. Only a small number of games need bsnes or sound tweaks
>>
File: 1483293817139.jpg (235KB, 621x622px) Image search: [Google]
1483293817139.jpg
235KB, 621x622px
>>3730563
What's wrong with Rugrats? You fucking nigger.
>>
File: PCE_CD_MightAndMagicIII.jpg (1MB, 1222x1050px) Image search: [Google]
PCE_CD_MightAndMagicIII.jpg
1MB, 1222x1050px
>>3743603
bumping to get an answer for this =(
>>
>>3735327
I'm actually surprised the 3DO doesn't have good emulation, it has a bit of a cult following and has a small homebrew scene. Every few years a promising dreamcast emulator comes out and then is subsequently dropped, considering how shitty dreamcast gd-rom drives are it's actually pretty important we have a way to play some of these games.

Isn't ouya literally just android though? we have emulation for that.
>>
>>3736382
They are important enough to warrant preservation, in the very least. Emulation isn't solely used to pirate games, there is a very real archival benefit.
>>
>>3745191
hey, what if the 3do was instead *recreated*? Suppose it had to use a modern arm CPU going around a gig or somewhat close, would it be able to take package ports from raspberry pi and the like?
>>
>>3727218

N64 emulation is a lot better with the recent glide plugin.

Most emulators don't ship with it though for some reason
>>
>>3745221
Where can I find that plugin?
>>
>>3743280
>In other words they're doing it for meth.
No, no, no! It was an entirely different kind of setup! Or at least largely different. A different kind of group order, a different set of types of individuals. The basic principles may have been the same, the direction they were shooting may have been the same, but the details were different than what you would have expected!
>>
>>3743280
Nobody was doing meth. Even numerous people who weren't doing meth ended up getting very impatient with the place.

People there very much were missing the technical knack for being able to produce meth! There was one hick, who turned out to be surprisingly comfortable/capable with computers, but he was too Christian to make meth. And there were two reclusive guys who probably would be able to, at least if they weren't so focussed on computer type stuff, and they were too stallmanistic to be interested in meth. The slimier people were generally more affluent, and would have been into fancier, less crude drugs than meth.

One somewhat disturbed girl who I think had some sort of social work type job talked about people "self medicating", but people there more likely undermedicated and just marched into emotional breakdowns.

Two visionary styled guys might have always acted like they were on meth, but that obviously can't be full literal. But bad thingsstill shall happen to them for it as if they had been on meth.
>>
>>3727145
>Sound emulation on Genesis is a constant talking point
Not for a long time, you need to use a different emu
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.