[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone started an NES or SNES collection in the past two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: p.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
p.png
8KB, 400x400px
Has anyone started an NES or SNES collection in the past two years? How do you convince yourself that the prices are okay?
>>
by not being a poorfag
>>
>>3724492
I make $230000 per year. I can afford $150 for a game
>>
That voice in the back of your head telling you that it's a bad idea to buy them is your adult brain trying to peek through your dominant bubble head baby brain. Listen to it.
>>
I started "collecting" around 5 years ago but didn't really have the money to start buying large amounts of games until around 2 years ago.

I tried searching for deals for about a year before realizing this is borderline impossible. Eventually I sold off about 80% of what I had and switched to flashcarts, leaving only the games I had a particular attachment to.
>>
File: 1480555941768.jpg (366KB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
1480555941768.jpg
366KB, 2464x1648px
>>3724492
This past year I got lucky with a local chain of pawn shops that started buying and selling PS2/Xbox to current games for relatively cheap..at least for a while.
I would buy semi valuable ps2 games and trade them in to my local used retro vidya store for credit and get SNES or whatever I wanted games for fractions of their worth.

Sadly I think said pawn shops have caught on somewhat, especially this obese ginger cunt that I've ran into in the area scalping.

I don't have pics, but I've probably spent 200 dollars this past year on 2k worth of SNES games. Otherwise they're just too expensive now to collect when many of the popular games are 50$+.

I did manage to find Demon's Crest, Super Punch Out and Megaman X all for 2.50 each at a Goodwill last July
>>
>>3724550
>I did manage to find Demon's Crest, Super Punch Out and Megaman X all for 2.50 each at a Goodwill last July
Holy shit. That's fucking impressive my man.
>>
>>3724492
I have, I spent $50 total on a famicom, a rf modulator, and a ac adapter then $25 on games to test it with, then I spent $85 on an Everdrive. Bought a super famicom with all the hookups, an s-video cable, and 3 games for $80 too, still waiting to get an SD2SNES
>>
>>3724573
There were more but I can't remember exactly what, but some were n64 games. Turok 2 comes to mind.
I spent about 25 bucks total though on 250$ worth of vidya.

Any other stories of good finds?
>>
>>3724495
May I ask what you do for a living?
>>
>>3724859
4chan shitposter
>>
>>3724492
If I had bought every non-vendor NES and SNES game I came across this year I'd have about 30 games and have spent less than $100.

If you want to collect video games start going to thrift stores and peddler's malls and learn to not be picky. The games will come to you in due time. When you decide you really want something just buy a flash cart and play it on that because the whole concept is just a silly diversion and you shouldn't spend over $10 on any single game.
>>
>>3724578
Found Metal Gear Solid with the Silent Hill demo CIB for €2,50 at a fleemarket last year. Also bought a 3do FZ-10 with 20+ games at a yardsale for €10.
>>
>>3724492
Started a few years ago, I only buy when I fund a good price. I do enjoy collecting but playing is more important, which is why emulators and flashcarts are what I typically used.
>>
I did but it's a super famicom so the games weren't too expensive.
Most I paid for anything was 30 for Super Metroid and honestly it was super worth it.
I also got all stars for 8 bucks
>>
>>3725110

Yup, this is it. If I wanted all the games I'd either buy a lot on ebay or emulate them. The fun is in the hunt, and you don't go hunting at game stores.
>>
>>3724492
>How do you convince yourself that the prices are okay?

By realizing that I only need to buy them one time and then I will never have to buy them again.

Having a hard number of the amount you will collect before stopping is also pretty important.

I genuinely feel sorry for people who have 1000's of games that they will never play, collecting just for the sake of collecting.
>>
>>3724492
I started collecting gamecube recently. Most games i find are not over $30 and you get a complete game.Case,manual, disc, inserts instead of an nes loose cart with rips on the stickers or magic marker all over it.
>>
>>3724495
And then there's THIS asshole.......
>>
Don't pay eBay prices? Stop at every yard and garage sale, as you can find old timers with an NES and box full of games there kids left at home for cheap, as one example. Lots still see this stuff as old junk, and you just need to do the legwork. I paid $5 for a complete copy of Snatcher at a hole-in-the-wall flea market in a tiny hick town some years ago when it was "only" worth $200 or so.

Craigslist is saturated with eBay addled sellers, but you might find someone with no clue who lists up VG shit on CL for cheap, and then you pounce before a flipper gets there first.

It will not be easy, and no eBay instant gratification, but it can be done.
>>
>>3724859
Taste tester for anal lube
>>
File: sonic no good.jpg (36KB, 424x349px) Image search: [Google]
sonic no good.jpg
36KB, 424x349px
I just started getting SNES games as I had a Genesis as a kid. Got Star Fox and a Super Gameboy.
>>
>>3726458
At Bad Dragon?
>>
>NES or SNES
Those games can be pretty cheap if you buy anything that's not like Link to the Past or Mario World. Try and accrue many underrated or lesser known games.
>>
>>3726359
But I shouldn't have to wake up at 5 am/drive to bumfuck nowhere just for a CHANCE at getting games. Why do resellers have to ruin my hobby? This isn't fucking fair god damn it.
>>
>>3726924

Life isn't fair, hipsters ruin fucking everything. They've been shitting on other people's lawns long before they got their grubby gentrifying hands on our hobby.

Resellers who trawl garage sales and the like for stock are scum no doubt, but they can only make a buck because of the hipsters tripping over thenselves to hurl money at whatever item they think will let them wank thenselves off the hardest.
>>
If you don't care about region, I've found JPN carts go for much cheaper than their US counterparts.
>>
>>3726997
SHHHH. That's our secret.

The prices of imports have already rocketed in the last year, don't make them go further
>>
>>3727010
fuck, I'm sorry.
>>
>>3726997
>>3727010
>>3727012

It's too late anyway. It'll only be a matter of time before the difference in prices will be gone.
>>
>>3727025
I'm kind of glad I bought around $75 worth of Jap shit in this past month. Getting the English versions would probably cost over $600.
>>
I've only just gotten back into collecting again a couple of months but here's some of the things I do to get games on the cheap

1. Buy in bulk
Sometimes i buy collections of shovelware for one or two games then flip the shovelware/duplicates back on ebay for a decent price. It's a bit risky and you'll have to be patient but you should be able to close in or break even, and on the odd occasion, actually make profit.

2. Just ask people
You'd be surprised how many people have their old games locked away in their basements and drawers that they don't want or use anymore. Got a copy of super mario 64 and f-zero a couple of weeks ago from my friend for $15 because he didn't have any use for them

3. Looking for good deals on ebay
Sometimes on a blue moon you'll find a decent deal on ebay. It's not very often but sometimes you can get a decent price on some items, although you'll have to bite the bullet and get it quick or otherwise resellers will pounce in and snatch it up before you get the chance to. You can also save anywhere from $10-50 on an auction sometimes.
>>
>>3724495
>230k.
>shitposting on 4chan
Ayy LMAO
>>
>Be told the retro market is going down, inflation is shrinking over the years
>It doesn't seem to be getting any better
>>
>>3724578
>Any other stories of good finds?
Not a single one. If anything, the money I've wasted in gas trying to hunt down games far outweighs any savings I may have garnered at any point. If there's a game I REALLY want that I don't already own, I tend to just fold and pay ebay prices, as long as it's not ridiculous.

Although, once at a flea market with my grandpa, I bought a brand new, still-boxed copy of Star Fox and A Link to the Past for 10 bucks each. This was 15 years ago, though. I recall the guy having bins full of sealed SNES games for super cheap. I wish I had the foresight to just buy all that shit up.

I have a friend who has been collecting SNES games since the late '90s. I think around the time he stopped collecting, he had over 80% of the SNES's library. He moved out of his parents place and they're all just in tupperware containers in his old room, under years of clutter. It kills me. He's fat as fuck and older than me, though. If he has a heart attack and bites it, I'm totally nabbing them.
>>
>>3726070
>you don't go hunting at game stores
I have literally never found a retro video game anywhere else in the past 5 years.
>>
>>3726359
>Craigslist is saturated with eBay addled sellers, but you might find someone with no clue who lists up VG shit on CL for cheap
I hadn't used craigslist for a while. I decided to do a quick search for video games. Over half the ads are for people who are advertising themselves as buyers, or people trying to sell overpriced NES minis. Holy fucking shit.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.