[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Still the best Smash Bros game? Why or why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: smashbros.jpg (110KB, 620x426px) Image search: [Google]
smashbros.jpg
110KB, 620x426px
Still the best Smash Bros game? Why or why not?
>>
Look, just because this is a board for retro games, doesn't mean we are all retro autistics.
Name one thing that the original SSB did better than the sequels.
>>
File: Samus_SSB.png (15KB, 121x180px) Image search: [Google]
Samus_SSB.png
15KB, 121x180px
As far as /vr/ is concerned, yes, it is the best Smash Bros game, and also the only one.
>>
>>3723879
>melee
too floaty

>brawl
tripping

>4
awful roster
>>
N64 - average arcade port
Melee - at the arcade
Brawl - average console exclusive sequel
Wii U and 3DS - Soul Calibur on Dreamcast level arcade port

That's what they feel like to me.
>>
64 is one my friends and I still play regularly. Its a nice touch that now with a gameshark you can play on final destination too
>>
>>3723879
It felt more like a party game than any of the other ones.
>>
Competitively:
N64: slow, campy, no reason to risk anything, shielding is horrible.

Melee: only 8 characters are realistically viable.

Brawl: Tripping, literally Sakurai trying to kill competitive smash.

Smash 4: Rage is horrifying
>>
>>3723903
>awful roster
Ok that's just shitposting to be an ass.
It has all the veterans and more, if anything, that just means more content for you.
>>
File: 1481703641121.png (267KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
1481703641121.png
267KB, 476x476px
>>3724834
>playing smash as a competitive game
>>
>>3724838
It's no fun when everyone plays as fucking Cloud or Bayonetta.
>>
>>3723903
>melee
>floaty
Have you played as fox or falcon?

Have you played smash Wii U? It's practically zero gravity.
>>
>>3723931
>Soul Calibur on Dreamcast level arcade port
I... don't know what that means. Is that good?
>>
>>3725579
The DC version of it was better than the arcade version.
>>
>>3723931
this is a very amusing way to put things. I enjoyed it!
>>
File: ritsu-cdi.jpg (55KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
ritsu-cdi.jpg
55KB, 398x500px
>>3724834
>competitive smash
>>
>>3725072
Cloud maybe, but Bayonetta is a pretty technical character and not many play her well.

It's more Rosa/Shiek/Diddy
>>
>>3725613
You do realize the game is competitive by its very nature. And that individuals will compete to win even with items turned on.
>>
>>3724834
>Sakurai trying to kill competitive smash.
It's a damn shame that he didn't succeed.
>>
>>3723863
Yeah 100%
That's mah shit right thurr
>>
>>3723863
Because its still fucking casual.

Melee and Tourney fags ruined a fun game with friends.
>>
>>3724838
More content isn't always better. Sometimes it's better to have a more concise roster so your final product feels more solid. But Smash 4 was mostly an advertising vehicle and not a love letter to Nintendo fans, so it's to be expected.
>>
https://youtu.be/8YPtQN6fL3Q
>>
>>3725780
>Melee and Tourney fags ruined a fun game with friends.
How exactly are tourneyfags stopping you from enjoying smash games with your friends?
>>
>>3725872

Same way a bad installment in a franchise you like retroactively ruins your childhood.
>>
>>3725780
>64
>casual
>when the current meta has 0-deaths for every character on every character due to the lack of defensive options

you have literally no idea what you're talking about. shut up, retard
>>
>>3723903
melee's a lot faster paced at its peak than 64, though I agree its pace can be szhixophrenic from matchup to matchup and especially when you get two defensive / campy players in the room.

brawl straight up sucks

i haven't played much 4 atm so i won't comment on it
>>
>>3723903
>too floaty
You need to adjust some setting in your emulator. kek.
I think M has a pretty good balance between physics, moves and roster.

>>3725721
Don't get excited. Just a couple of jrpgfags parroting shit they heard from fightfags.

>>3725780
>i can't enjoy a game if I know someone else in the world is better at it than me.
Frosty the snowflake boy melts in the light of day
>>
>>3723931
But that would mean Smash 4 is actually good

Which is wrong.
>>
>>3723863
Worse than Melee, better than Brawl and Smash 4.
>>
>>3723879
Items

its the only one that got them right
>>
>>3725072
I personally play Mario and Marth mostly in Smash 4, and they've been around for several games.
>>
>>3723863
Melee>Smash 4 3DS>64>Brawl

I've never played Smash for Wii U or Project M.

Brawl would've been a much, much better game if they didn't change the physics from Melee or screw with the character balance. I'm not even a tourneyfag, and I have problems with Brawl's physics.
>>
>>3728123
>>i can't enjoy a game if I know someone else in the world is better at it than me.
>Frosty the snowflake boy melts in the light of day

I take it you've never played with a overly competitive tourneyfag then.
They just don't know how to turn off.

Like, I enjoy playing smash, but I didn't lock myself in my room for a month practicing, so stop shouting in my face everytime you fling me off the stage.
>>
Melee > 64 > PM > brawl > 3ds > Wii U

>melee, no explanation needed
>64, is the 2nd best original smash
>PM, essentially a sequel to melee while making advanced play easier
>brawl, single player surpasses all other smashes, combat not the greatest
>3ds, better stages than on Wii U and feels tighter
>Wii u, lofty game where you never die, single player is bare, online is finnecky
>>
>>3728642
You take it wrong. I do regularly. Sure, it can be annoying, especially when they gloat but it's the only way to git gud. Juggling level 9s gets boring real fast.
>>
>>3728727
Oh god, so you are one of those people. Put on some deoderant next time, Carlos.
>>
>>3725721
>A literal party game with 4 attacks
>Competitive
>B-but Anon the game has a high skill ceiling i-it has high skill techniques
>99% of those techniques are glitching the game but it's a legitimate technique!
>SSB BRAWL sucked! They removed alot of our glitches I mean techniques hehe
>>
If melee is the best most amazing 100% perfect ultimate fighting game of all time then how come meleefags get all screechy and autistic when nintendo releases a game that doesn't play exactly like melee?
>>
>>3728736
>oh god i really suck at vidya
Obviously
>>
>>3728642
>I take it you've never played with a overly competitive tourneyfag then. They just don't know how to turn off.

You faggots that complain about the tourneyfag autists are even worse about it. You ruined smash even worse than those smelly faggots ever did.
>>
>>3728642
>shouting in my face
You should get new friends or stop playing vidya with them.

I was always the person that didn't want to play a multiplayer game with my friends because I knew I was too good at it. It's pretty easy for me to turn off advanced techniques for myself
>>
>>3725786
>tfw a smash game will never have the same love and soul put into it as melee

Feels bad man.
>>
>>3729024
The fat smelly kid who doesn't suck at smash is the only one he knows who will even talk to him.
>>
File: 1435450771598.gif (489KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1435450771598.gif
489KB, 512x384px
>>3723863
It has by far the best levels and the best ratio of fun characters:shit characters in the series. I also think that dealing hits is far more satisfying in this game than any other Smash game.
Other than that, I think future Smash games improved on this one, in one way or another.
>>
Smash 4> 64> melee > brawl
>>
>>3730960

>must be at least 18 years old to use this website
>>
I played 64, Melee and Brawl and 64 will always remain my favorite. Melee had the fun factor of being a bigger game with better graphics and being released early enough that there was still a lot of mystery as to who was on the roster.

Brawl ruined the unlocking by making everything available via the awful single player campaign.

But the core mechanics of 64 just always felt right to me. I like the speed, movement, weight of the characters, the feel of connecting a powerful blow and getting the resulting POW sound. Melee and Brawl felt too floaty.
>>
>>3730963
>>
>>3730474
>Projecting this hard
>>
>>3731078
>Projecting
Looks like someone hit a little too close to home.
>>
>>3732052
Look, no matter what I say, you're just going to keep saying I'm some lonely manchild with autism.

Why? I don't know and I don't care.
I could make up shit about you, but there's really no point, because at the end of the day all this is just a thread on an imageboard with some fun discussion but also assholes who like to stir up drama.
>>
My 2nd favorite after Melee (no, I'm not a competitivefag). Maybe it's nostalgia, but I always associate this game with its sound effects, every hitsound either had a hard cracking noise or a sharp pop, it really made the attacks sound like they had impact behind them, especially the gunshot sound. I think the weirdly contrasting minimalist menu style might have also helped make the action pop out.
>>
>>3723863
I'm sorry. I love retro video games, but the first Smash is the worst one.

Melee > Sm4sh > Brawl > Smash 64
>>
But what made this game such a masterpiece?
>>
>>3732687
What made this meme so shitty?
>>
>>3728543
This. Granted Melee was pretty good in that regard as well. Shit makes matches unplayable from Brawl on.
>>
>>3732643
>the rancid pile of shit that is brawl
>better than anything
>>
>>3732060
I just pointed out that your "i know you are but what am I" slick burn shows that what some anon said about you looks highly accurate.
>>
>>3723863
Melee without a question...
>>
>>3730978
>Brawl ruined the unlocking by making everything available via the awful single player campaign.
You can also unlock all secret character by playing normally without going through the single player campaign, though.
>>
>>3725786
>But Smash 4 was mostly an advertising vehicle and not a love letter to Nintendo fans, so it's to be expected.
Melee had Roy and it was planned to have Lucas replacing Ness to promote their games.
>>
I think 4 is the best one.

64 isn't better than Melee and Melee isn't better than Brawl.

For what it is, even the 3DS Version is good.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.