[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you make of the story of this game? I played it back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Xenogears_box.jpg (86KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box.jpg
86KB, 256x240px
What do you make of the story of this game?
I played it back when I was 13 and didn't get a lot of things, replayed it recently 17 years later, and while I do understand it a little bit better, I still think it's pretentious and a clusterfuck, specially Disc 2.

That said, I'm fairly amazed this was released in 1998. You would think between the complex translation, risky content and heavy story focus. nobody would bother translating it, but I guess that speaks of the dominance Square and RPGs in general had in the market back then. Was there anything similar to Xenogear's story in terms of scale and complexity before or after the game came out? On a console?
>>
>best story in a JRPG ever
>mediocre battle engine
>shit dungeon designs
>god tier soundtrack
>terrible graphics
>awful pacing

Overall, I give it a 7/10. Would've been better off as a visual novel.
>>
File: Gazel01.jpg (51KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
Gazel01.jpg
51KB, 500x343px
>>3722720
I stopped playing an hour into disc 2. I was pretty disappointed to see shit getting gutted hardcore with the intro.
>look at all this cool and important shit that happened while you were switching CDs!
I know its all because of devs running out of time, but it ruined the mood for me. Was really tired of the combat at that point as well.
I did watch a couple of videos detailing the core plot afterwards, and everything sounded pretty fucking awesome when being told by someone who understand it.

I dunno, its easy to bash the main story for being a mess due to translation/cut content, but I still enjoyed disc 1 quite a bit. I wish I knew moon runes so I can give the game a proper review, since there's like a billion mistranslations and gutted out dialogue in the Western version.

Also pic related
I got a fucking headache every time the game cut into these retards. I'm sure plot-wise those scenes were supposed to be mysterious, but add that with the translation, and it was migraine inducing to try and decrypt their dialogue.
>>
Would have made a better anime than a game.

Xenogears is the first jRPG I ever played that truly made me feel like the writers gave a shit. The actual gameplay itself is only slightly above average in comparison to other PS1 rpgs, but damn. dat story. They were on weed. The good kind of weed.
>>
File: 1475510433232.png (751KB, 1393x1382px) Image search: [Google]
1475510433232.png
751KB, 1393x1382px
It has the best waifu.
>>
Most of Disc 1 shouldn't have happened.

Probably should have dumped Rico and Chuchu entirely and made Citan an NPC only.

Probably should have made Kislev a fake country that was merely a front by Solaris to keep the Lambs in line, since Kislev is so fucking inconsequential to the story.

If the game focused mostly on the Disc 2 content and had actually good gameplay and dungeon design, it could have been a great game. It also needed a few more songs.
>>
>>3723231
>It also needed a few more songs.

>Implying Mitsuda didn't pull out all the fucking stops and create one of the most memorable OSTs to date.

Hard to disagree with the rest though I still enjoyed it enough to warrant replays over the years.
>>
>>3723241
I didn't say the soundtrack is bad.
I'm saying there aren't enough tracks to cover the 100+ hour journey they wanted. So many songs are used way too much.
>>
>>3722720
>What do you make of the story of this game?
Awful, just awful. A convoluted mess.
>>
>>3722720

It seems like we'll never know without a retranslation.
>>
>>3723246
>100+ hour

And here I thought I was the only autist who routinely watched the clock stop at 99:59 on these PSX RPGs while I continued grindan and generally farting around.
>>
>>3723246
afaik this is only posted in one place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQYyDIkMaH0
>>
File: neon-genesis-evangelion.jpg (878KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
neon-genesis-evangelion.jpg
878KB, 1280x1024px
>>3722783
>Would have made a better anime than a game.
They made the anime first, senpai.
>>
>>3726920
I love this meme.

Anyway, they're nothing alike outside of mechs and religious symbolism (Xenogears' is deeper, btw).
>>
>>3726920
People make this comparison but I just don't see it. I remember ages back lunatics were comparing Evangelion to Ideon. I guess this is just that.
>>
>>3726925
Xenogears actually has religious symbolism. Evangelion's creator admitted time and time again that crosses and junk looked cool so he threw them in w/o thinking about an american audience.
>>
>>3726929
nah there's pretty obvious meaning there and you'd need to be a retard not to see it.
>>
File: psychomargie.jpg (186KB, 492x360px) Image search: [Google]
psychomargie.jpg
186KB, 492x360px
>>3726925
>Xenogears' is deeper
Naw. Xenogears has a fun story, but after standing back and taking in the whole thing, it's still a mess.

Eva is utterly confusing once it starts getting weird, but at least when you finally figure everything out (which is impossible by just watching the anime), it's actually completely coherent and a masterpiece of a story.
>>
>>3726940
>(which is impossible by just watching the anime)
this applies to xenogears too though. Except it's even harder for Americans because the entire thing is only decipherable through material that is Japan exclusive.
>>
>>3726978
Perfect Works was translated, senpai.
>>
>>3726987
Was it? Now I feel foolish
>>
>>3726989
Don't. Nobody is reading through that shit.
>>
>>3726978
Xenogears is understandable on its own.
The problem is that it is conveyed very, very poorly.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.