[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES CLASSIC EDITION

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: the mother load.jpg (9KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
the mother load.jpg
9KB, 258x196px
It's after christmas, and no one has one, and i haven't seen a thread about this piece of shit in a month, and i already have a raspberry pi in my bathroom to play while i tage a shid, but i still want one. Let's scream profanity at nintendo and talk about what a piece of turd nintendo is and how much they missed out on making megabux on this thing.
>>
I'd buy one if they gave you the option to download more games for it/use conventional NES cartridges on it.
>>
>>3722539

Got mine day one, went to work early and finished early so I could wait in line, they opened an hour early, and the Jamba Juice next door gave everyone free smoothies.

It was a good day for me and I'm happy with this cute little novelty console.

I'll be mad when they announce the "deluxe" version with more games and a longer controller cable though.
>>
>>3722539
I don't understand the point
>>
>>3722692
it's for retards who don't know how to emulate otherwise or think you'll go to jail for downloading roms
>>
>>3722692
It's a Raspberry Pi in a cute NES case, but you only get 30 games and you can't add more.
>>
BEHOLD, YE OF LITTEL FAITH:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/hackers-unlock-nes-classic-upload-new-games-via-usb-cable/
>>
>>3723103
Fuck yeah
>>
>>3722539
They only missed the mark by not making enough. It's an excellent little system.
>>
>>3723103
Oh man I want to try this, but the nes classic is as much my wife's as it is mine, and Im not sure i trust my technical skills enough to try this. If I brick it, my wife would kill me. lol
>>
>>3724232
Get your wife's son to do it.

I've heard he's a whizzkid, just like his dad.
>>
>>3724240
Heh that's funny. Working in praise for the dad.
>>
How is Nintendo not supplying a bunch of these
>>
>>3724261
Because that would ruin their elaborate pre-Switch publicity stunt.
>>
>>3723103

I am strongly considering trying this.

I wonder if this can be done to those little Sega consoles as well.
>>
>>3724290
Welp, I think I bricked it. Added 50 games, followed all instructions, and it appeared to work, until I actually tried to play the games, and I get a black screen and a C8 error when I attempt to switch it off, even on pre-installed games. A factory reset didn't fix it.

Feel free to call me a dumb faggot, I deserve this.
>>
>>3724552
Nevermind, I fixed it by just deleting all the games... but I still lost all my save data.

Shit sucks, I don't want to do all that grinding in Final Fantasy again.

I wonder if it was just one certain rom that was being a problem for my system?
>>
>>3724571

I guess 80 is just the magic number at which point games stop working.
It seems to work fine, also runs romhacks.

And I somehow got my save data back.
>>
>>3724660
You probably filled the internal storage up
>>
>>3724662
>internal storage filled by 80 NES games and a simple emulator/frontend

Makes me wonder how small the memory is on this thing.
>>
>>3724660
>>3724662
>>3724667
That's what I'm gathering from this too. I wonder if there's some weird programming bug that cant handle >80 roms. Was it 80 additional roms you added, or 80 including the 30 on the console?
>>
File: 20170107_195412[2].jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_195412[2].jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>3724670

I added 50 roms bringing the total up to 80, I thought 80 would be a good number to shoot for, since Sega did it with their mini classic console. Bumped two roms off and it worked, didn't seem to matter which roms.

I gues Sega really does what Nintendon't.
>>
>>3724667
I haven't looked at the internals closely, but I'd have to imagine it's something like a 512mb flash storage.

Still though, 120 (80+30) games only comes out to 46 Mb. If each image used for the cover art was .5 Mb, then the total size comes out to 106 Mb

I don't know how big the kernel/emulator is, but it can't be too big.

For the system to be full after 80 new game, the storage would have to be more like 128 Mb, but that's pretty small by today's standards.
>>
File: index.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>3724692
>I gues Sega really does what Nintendon't.
>>
>>3724693

Update, I played EarthBound Beginnings for an hour and some minutes, then switched over to pinball for a few minutes, and then switched to Clu-Clu Land, but then I started getting the C8 error again.

Maybe there are some bad roms that just cause the system to shit itself??

Hopefully I don't have to remove all my games again...
>>
>>3724693
I think I recall spec sheets saying its 512mb, so there's some fuckery going on with limits.
>>
>>3724193
It's just an emulator. Fuck off!
>>
>>3724743
One of the games you put on it might be using a unsupported mapper.
>>
>>3724743

Removing Clu Clu land fixed everything.

Maybe I can shoot past 80 games after all? I just have to make sure all the games are fully functional, because if one bad rom is there, it could cause every other game to stop working?

It's just a bit of a tedious process to test each rom and make sure they're good, I tested them all on an FCEUX before uploading.
>>
>>3724763
Ill tell you what, it's actually pretty fascinating reading you in this thread. I am taking notes for when I eventually work up the courage to do it myself.
>>
>>3724763
just quick tested the 77 remaining games ( minus the pre-loaded games ).

Didn't get the Error one time.

So either Clu Clu land happened to be the one bad egg that fucked my system up ( i don't remember if it was the first game I tried when I loaded it to 80 or not )

Or something worse happened, and this thing is just going to shit itself randomly, and I just have to re-load all of the games every time I want to play it.

I seriously hope Clu Clu land was just the culprit here and I don't have to plug this thing into my PC again.

Also, bad idea to let the thing go into demo mode because it kind of glitches the game select screen until you choose a game.
>>
>>3724783
As tedious as it may be, would you recommend just loading like 1 game at a time and testing it inbetween loads, to be safe?
>>
>>3724786

I don't know what I'd reccommend, I'm not very adept at this kind of stuff, and i'm frankly still worried that my NES mini might have some permanant problems.

I guess I'll give it a day or two to find out.

All I know is that taking all the games off fixed it the first time it didn't work, and taking the one game that triggered the system not to work is what fixed it the second time.

I wish I took note of what game it was I attempted to test when I first started it up.

At first I thought it was the number of roms that was the problem, then I thought it was a certain rom, if I get an error again, I don't know what to think.
>>
>>3724790

Ok

I got the error again.

But this time I didn't have to remove any games for it to fix itself.

I've been experimenting with hopping from game to game.

If I play a game and then try to switch to another one, I get the error.

If I create a save, and then try to resume my save, I get the error, but if I turn the system off, the save is still there, and I can resume from that save.

So it seems like I'll be fine if I just turn the system off before swapping games I guess.

I really shouldn't have tried this the day it was discovered. I should have waited a bit. But this is just my life now I guess, I'm certainly not going to be buying another one of these things unless it starts popping up in stores again for below it's original price.
>>
Played Mach Rider and made a save.

Now I'm back to absolutely nothing loading.

I think I'm just going to remove all the games I've added and hope it all just goes back to normal.
>>
>>3724830

Removing all the additional games SEEMS to have fixed everything. Played around with it, a little, and no errors. This is the last post I'm going to make about it for a little while. I'm done playing around with it.

I'll keep this thread book marked and come back if anything bad happens tommorow.

I have no ideas as to what could be causing it to shit itself, but the best guesses I can make is super tiny memory, and additional saves fill it up more than you would expect, or bad roms can REALLY fuck it up.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to try this, wait until there's more info on this. And if you don't want to wait, only put a small amount of additional games on it, like between 10 and 30 ( I didn't go lower than 77 ).
>>
Thanks for keeping us updated on it. I have a feeling the problem lies in the core programming, as in the core emulator itself is written from the ground up by nintendo, designed ONLY to ever emulate the 30 games on it. Most 3rd party emulators we have are designed to be come-all emulators, and I have a feeling Nintendo's doesn't work that way.
>>
>>3724850
For what it's worth, every game I played ran absolutely fine, even the romhacks.

The biggest problems seemed to arise after making new saves, apart from the initial attempt where I had exactly 80 roms total.
>>
>>3724862

I know I said I wouldn't post about it again, but I just wanted to say I've played for over an hour I think, making sure to alternate between playing a little longer, and playing shorter, hopping between games, and making saves, and it really does appear that things are all back to normal.

Hopefully more info about this comes out, I hope it's just a space issue. It sucks that it seems to fall apart if you add too many roms, but I could live with only 10 or 15 additional roms. ( kind of wish I could remove the preinstalled games individually, I am never going to play Tecmo Bowl. ) Still going to wait a few weeks before I mess around with this again.

Not like I don't have a soft modded Wii I could play on, I just prefer the way NES Mini operates.
>>
I was very willing to fork out the cash for one of these but the short cord length means it won't work with my current set up. Oh well, Nintendo sure is retarded.
>>
>>3724945
I'm not saying Nintendo isn't retarded, they certainly are.

But they make extension cords for the controller, and third parties make controllers with a more appropriate cord length.
>>
>>3724951
The console is already 100 bucks anon. Fuck forking out another 20 for an extension cable that should have been implemented into the design of the console in the first place.
>>
>>3722550
Well then, better get shopping buddy
>>
>>3725171
Too bad it's sold out everywhere
>>
are they making anymore, eb games doesn't have any preorders or anything
>>
>>3724693
>>3724745
>>3724662
the storage has 512mb, im sure it's a firmware limit and someone needs to find out how to get around it.
>>
>>3724290
the ar games sega systems usually have a sd slot
>>
>>3725220
Plenty on eBay.
>>
>>3725270
Don't give in to eBay scalping bullshit. Let this assholes rot with their unsold stock, unless they sell them at or below MSRP
>>
>>3725171
nice trolling, dick
>>
>>3724940

I just woke up to an E-mail replying to a comment I made on youtube.

I guess we finally have our answer

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5mrmgw/total_gamesave_countspace_issue_what_you_should/

TL;DR It's the saves. The more games you have, the less saves you're allowed to have before it starts crashing.

Here's a spreadsheet.

4 slots per game: 32
3 slots per game: 39
2 slots per game: 48
1 slot per game: 65

Mystery solved. I think 3 save slots is all I need, so I might go and add 29 games. That's not bad.

And anyway, I can always just change the games later.
>>
>>3722539
>emulate every retro game I'd ever want near-flawlessly on my Wii (except Saturn, N64, PS1, Dreamcast)
>get this for Christmas
>family member opens it up and plays it so it won't be worth much some time in the future
th-thanks
>>
>>3725879
Who the fuck opened it when it was a gift for you? I would have commented as soon as I unwrapped it that I wasn't going to use it and save it. That would have pissed me off...
>>
>>3725901
It's not really a big deal, at least we had fun with Zelda II.
>>
>>3725936
If anything, you can regift it. There will be plenty of people who want one. People who don't want to bother with emulation and hacking are the target audience of this thing.
>>
>>3724270
gamers are like the biggest economic retards ever
>>
File: 1483824101196.gif (832KB, 252x188px) Image search: [Google]
1483824101196.gif
832KB, 252x188px
>>3725879
>implying it will ever be worth more than it is right now
>>
>>3725901

What makes you think that these things have any collectible value and not just hype value?
>>
>>3725772
update

if you remove a game with a save, and then you put the game back on later, you will get the save with it as well.

So it looks like it's a case of being able to load up to 65 games or less, and then switching out for other games when you're done, and you lose nothing by removing the games from your system unless you fuck with the hackchii files.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.