[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rta/ - Retro Speedrunning General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: couch.jpg (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
couch.jpg
141KB, 1920x1080px
What old games are you good at clearing quickly?

Also, get HOYPE for AGDQ on Sunday!
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
>>
>>3722357
I'm looking forward to mike(agdq president) no showing this event and pocketing another cool 100k.
Let's all make sure we donate so we can help mike get a Nintendo switch on launch as well as a plethora of blow and hookers.
>>
>>3722357
Really looking forward to bonesaw running j...oh wait he's not running anything.
Cuz he got banned.
Lemme check out his run to see what he got banned for. Must have been some real cray cray shit if it got him banned.

Oh he didn't do anything except for draw a huge crowd, get donations, and make a lot of Owen Wilson jokes.

Well that makes sense.
>>
>>3722420
>tells thousands of people to Tweet @AirCanada for memes
He was asking to be banned.
>>
Speedrunning is for faggots.
>>
File: 1480316171027.gif (491KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1480316171027.gif
491KB, 500x370px
>>3722494
This sooo much.

My favorite is when Speedrunners don't actually know shit all about the game. You can have guys who are world record holders and if you ask them a question they get stumped.

Going fast by cheating != being good at the game.
>>
>>3722501
>Going fast by cheating != being good at the game.
abusing exploits is not cheating!!!!
>>
>>3722438
When they went to apologize to air America they said they didn't even know anything had happened.
So there goes that theory.
>>
Ocarina of Time I guess.

When I did a 3-heart no-death run of the game I started getting fed up with being cautious after the seventh failure. ( Fuck those god damned stalfos and their jump attacks )

Now I basically have all but the Spirit and Shadow temples memorized like the back of my hand.
>>
>>3722525
It is if it completely breaks the game.
>>
>>3722525
>abusing exploits is not cheating!!!!

It's like playing Soccer/Football and then figuring out you can just pick the ball up and run it to the goal.

You're breaking the established rules of the game. It's definitely cheating.
>>
>>3722535
Are you underage perchance? Just because it was harmless in the end, doesn't mean it was okay.
Ban length was a bit too much I'll give you that, but still the Tweet shit was beyond retarded. You don't want needless shit on your head as an event holder, just because some autist thinks of a cool prank.
>>
>>3722581

AGDQ could take their million dollar donation marathon and go to any charity. A charity that gives them some semblance of creative freedom. I bet you could find tons of worthy charities that would even pay you better than PCF and do better work wtih it too.

AGDQ as a fundraiser is a fucking joke.
>>
>>3722568
Video games don't have "established rules."
>>
>>3722581
The tweet was retarded, but so are most of the runners/attendees. But that's not a bad thing, that is just the community.

Yes as an event holder you definitely don't want needless shit on your head. However, this is an event that is all about gamers playing video games. Do they not expect this kind of shit?
Has anyone ever interacted with the gaming community?
Has anyone ever played an online game and spoken to another gamer?
Come on now.
This shit goes with the territory.
It wasn't even the event holders that were upset, it was the foundation that was receiving the donations. They are/have been trying to change the events/way things are operated because they don't like it.
And they are getting their way because they are paying agdq a lot of money.
Doesnt this not seemed a little not-right?
>>
>>3722598
Yes they do. The basis of game design is rules.
>>
GDQs haven't really been that good for a few years. Both they and the speedrunning scene have gotten too big and too serious for their own good. I am going to give it another chance but I find I just don't enjoy these events the way I used to.

Anyhow, I can clear Ninja Gaiden, Lion King, and Alien Soldier pretty quickly, but nowhere near as fast as a high-level speedrunner.
>>
>>3722618
rules exist because they can be enforced. If you can perform a glitch in a video game then the rules don't exist anymore.

anyway gdq is boring
>>
I'm pretty good at Umihara Kawase. I've been thinking about performing at GDQ one of these days, when I can afford it.
>>
>>3722642
Do you stream your runs?
>>
>>3722647
I'm still a little camera-shy, to be honest >_>
>>
>>3722639
Rules can be enforced in things like sports because theres usually a referee. Games don't have a referee, that doesn't mean there aren't rules you fucking mongoloid.

Glitches exist because computers are fucking strange.

GDQ is boring but that's not good enough for damage control.
>>
>>3722812
The rule doesn't exist if it can't be enforced, that's just fucking it. Clearly it's not a rule if you can break it and nothing happens, it's just a guideline or a suggestion.
>>
>>3722818

Not him, but when you glitch a game, something happens that wasn't intended by the game developers. You are finding something that the programmer(s) and testers overlooked, or something that they were simply unable to fix. While theoretically a glitch could've been left in as an Easter egg of sorts, that is highly unlikely to be the norm. I can say with some certainty that when making OoT, no one intended you to be able to glitch from Gohma to the end of the game with a supercharged Deku stick.

That being said, I really don't care. People can play how they want, and I guess I do find it interesting to know how some people have been able to so thoroughly break games. I find no glitch runs to be more impressive in terms of gaming ability, but at the end of the day they are just playing games. The people who made them, be they musicians, artists, programmers, or designers, are more admirable in their contributions to gaming than people who discovered how to enjoy the games in new ways.
>>
Is there a more autistic activity than "speedrunning"? Take a game, which is supposed to be an enjoyable experience and leisurely activity and turn it into a sequence of rote memorization and timed patterns of button presses. No wonder it attracts so many mentally ill individuals.
>>
>>3722852
These people have no actual skills, so they have to turn videogames into work. Quite sad really.
>>
>>3722818
>>3722812
>I would really prefer if you didn't shit post right now...
>>
>>3722618
Okay, what are the "rules" to Sonic the Hedgehog?

Show me in the rules where it says I'm not allowed to clip through walls.
>>
File: purple hijabi.png (317KB, 852x900px) Image search: [Google]
purple hijabi.png
317KB, 852x900px
>>3722840
>Not him, but when you glitch a game, something happens that wasn't intended by the game developers.

>le "what the developers intended" meme
>>
>>3723206
>Show me in the rules where it says I'm not allowed to clip through walls.

In the manual of Sonic 3 it literally tells you to reset the game if you clip through the walls in the instruction manual.
>>
>>3722568
Isn't that what yankees do when they play football?
>>
>>3722568
>It's like playing Soccer/Football and then figuring out that you can just pick up the ball and run to the goal, and realizing that the game is actually more fun and competitive when played in this fashion, and starting your own league with like-minded people where everyone agrees to play by these new rules.
Fixed.
>>
It seems /vr/ really hates GDQ and speedrunners in general.
>>
>>3724241
4chan (and nerds in general) have a crab bucket mentality. They hate anyone who gets publicity for doing nerdy things.
>>
Why you guys ignoring the fact that there are glitchless categories?
>>
>>3724256
Bummer.

I enjoy watching my games getting destroyed.
Overall, each week of GDQ is a fun week, even if lately they haven't been as good as 2014.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.