[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows 95 games for the dreamcasts windows ce?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0437.png (8KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0437.png
8KB, 550x550px
I was curious if it would be possible to make old pc games like fallout or dungeon keeper compatible to play on a dreamcasts windows ce operating system? I mean the dreamcast has a mouse and keyboard... I think it would be awesome.
>>
No. You can't make x86 programs run on a SuperH processor without virtualization.
You won't even get them to run on a Xbox.
>>
>>3720802
So it's impossible?
>>
>>3720807
The idea with Windows CE on Dreamcast was to have Windows library functions available on the system to make it easier to port PC games to the console. If you have the source code to a 90's Windows game, then it might in theory be easier to port it to the Dreamcast, since you could share some of the same library function calls, but it's never going to happen without being able to modify and compile the source code to a game.
>>
>>3720831
So someone with the know how could do it? How hard would this be and who should I speak to?
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (344KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
344KB, 1080x1920px
Here's a picture of my cave slug tattoo from shining in the darkness.

As a thank you lol
>>
I mean how cool would it be to play age of empires, Starcraft, or diablo on ur dreamcast
>>
>>3720871
Not very much.
>>
>>3720832
It's not likely to happen. Most games are closed source. You can't port something without the source code, unless you're willing to spend an extremely long time (we're talking years, possibly) reverse-engineering the binary, which isn't worth it.
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
>>3720873
>>
>>3720886
So there is no way to get these source codes, besides reverse engineering?
>>
>>3720891
No. If the source code still exists, they would be archived in some office somewhere.

Sometimes companies will release the source code to their old games, though. EA let Maxis release the source code to the first Simcity game under the name "Micropolis", and id software has a history of releasing their engines open source. But most old games remain closed source and probably always will be.
>>
>>3720904
So there is hope!!!!!
>>
>>3721690
You're old enough to afford a tattoo but dumb enough to not understand how computers work.
>>
>>3720891
http://osgameclones.com/
http://linuxdc.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>3720778
ScummVM has a dreamcast port doesn't it? You can play some PC games on DC with this.
>>
>>3721720
Ok, sorry I spend my time on things less cold and trivial than a fucking 20 yr old computer, yuh cuck.
>old enough to post on 4chan
>dumb enough to be a faggot about it
>no redemption
>>
>>3721738
>ScummVM has a dreamcast port doesn't it
That's about as "PC games on DC" as playing Doom wads on the DC Doom port is.
>>
>>3720832
The thing you need to understeand about computers is that theoretically "everything" is possible.

But who would actually have the knowledge and time to do it? Some efforts are pointless since they basically imply re-making the entire code.
>>
>>3721783
But you want someone to do all the work so you can spend time on things as trivial as a 20 year old computer game. Yet you're the one with the retro sprite tattoo.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.