[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is bit/disc rot a concern to you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: bitrot.png (398KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
bitrot.png
398KB, 450x300px
Is bit/disc rot a concern to you?
>>
>>3720386
Nah, I use flash carts and i have multiple copies of my roms on differen raid arrays.
>>
>>3720386
No, I emulate
Emulator master race
>>
>>3720386
yeah, probably not a big deal if I could maintain and take care of every game I own but I share my shit with relatives - I'm better off just emulating most things instead of trying to collect
>>
Flash carts and mod chips. Reseller prices are for suckers.
>>
Cartridges yes, discs not. You can always burn a new disc, even if isnt original it will work the same. With cartridges is more complex and expensive to do.
>>
>>3720386

Yes. I have a few prototype discs, one of which is unplayable (an unreleased and undumped game, sadly) and another of which (a GD-R of a semi-popular game) locks up during certain load screens. Probably more due to shitty media quality combined with hard lives than true rot.

For retail games, not as much. They are more durable and many have already been preserved.
>>
>>3720410
Not really. The Chinese are making shit tons of them. There are all kinds of new flash carts too. Only a small minority of games don't apply. SNES games with some types of special chips, cartridges with real time clock. Even many of those are handled by flash carts now though.
>>
No because it's not real
>>
>>3720417

yeah, but Chinese just started to make cartridges clones, and they are like 15 dollars each one. Meanwhile since the early 00's you could download a DC or a PS1 ISO and burn it on a CD for 50 cents and play it like the original disc.
>>
>>3720424
But with a flash cart you can play every game ever made for some consoles and most for others. Also burning media sucks because lasers wear out over time. It's better to use a drive emulator or something like DreamShell with a SD card adapter to play games on systems that use optical media. In the case of DC this is especially important because those old scene rips had content stripped or even compressed which increased the amount of load on the laser, and load times...
>>
why worry about disc rot when rom chips have lifespans measured in decades
>>
>>3720438
humans have lifespans measured in decades why worry about things that'll happen after you're dead
>>
>>3720451
woah
really made me think
>>
>>3720451
why worry about the integrity of digital storage media when the lifespan of the universe is measured in mere billions of years
>>
No, I collect cart-based consoles, for consoles that use CDs I just use CD-Rs
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.