[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Warrior Monsters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (98KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 500x574px
I am a huge fan of this series. Strangely enough, I never beat any of them due to the fact I couldn't give up my beloved monsters for breeding.

I'm replaying DWM2 with my Super Gameboy and I'm a bit surprised at how enigmatic the breeding system is. There's very little guidance as to what is worthwhile and what is a waste. Now we have guides and google image search but back in the day it was hugely trial and error.

It's still impressive for GBC hardware - just wish the SGB had color
>>
I think the ranking system from Joker really helped out the Dragon Quest Monsters series immensely. It's kind of a pain in the ass to breed in the original Dragon Quest Monsters because there's no real way to tell which monsters are better than others (except for obvious ones like boss monsters).

I don't think that Dragon Quest Monsters holds up very well. It's way too slow and menus/battles take too long to load, even for a Game Boy game. That said, I did have some fun with it, and I was able to just barely beat the Master Battle.
>>
I am severely annoyed over how many times the translations pchanged throughout the series.

Imagine pikachu was called zapmouse in a sequel and then electrachu in another game
>>
figured there would be more love for this series
>>
>>3721272
Like everything DQ, it didn't get noticed in the West but was big in Japan. DQM outsold Pokemon Crystal there, DQM was also quite popular.
>>
>>3720369
The thing about breeding is that it doesn't matter too much what you end up with. Since bred monsters carry over stats from parents (averaged and divided by two) they're guaranteed to be increasingly powerful anyway, and due to the way the ability inheritance works you have full control over which abilities you want to keep throughout generations. Don't think about it too much - they're relaxing little games and if you put too much effort in to trying to optimize your party it probably won't be as fun.
>>
>>3721330

i just want my boys to look cool
>>
>>3718494
>>
>>3720401
The menus definitely could have used some more speeding up, and as far as I can recall the 2nd game tried to address that.
It was more challenging and had a more interesting way to get powerful monsters in comparison to Pokemon, but that could just be me being biased since I like Dragon Quest.

Not retro, but I'd buy a 3DS on the spot if they localized the DWM remakes
>>
>>3721272
DQM is the only thing DQ known in Europe in the 90s because it's the only thing that made it over. It's a bit of a cult classic in Germany.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.