[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Quest Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 23

File: 3167027.jpg (499KB, 700x979px) Image search: [Google]
3167027.jpg
499KB, 700x979px
Dragon Quest Thread
>>
>>3718497
VII is best, IV and V are close behind
>try searching VII on art sites
>get VIII art
Damn, why is VII so unpopular?
>>
>>3718497
>>3718548
Not sure, but I'm way more excited to play VIII on 3DS than I was for VII.
>>
>>3718494
>I'M THE RAPE HORSE!!
>>
>>3718548
>most bloated and backtracky DQ game
>best
get a load of this twat
>>
>>3718574
Yeah, I know, I'm in the minority. I just really love VII. Though really they're all quite good. VII episodic plot, class system, and world really appeals to me. I've beaten it three times and loved every hour.
>>
Why didn't they make DQ games for the Gameboy?
>>
>>3718735
Because you are a faggot.
>>3718548
I spend three months to beat Dragon Quest VII on the PlayStationONE
mostly because i had to work, i used to play at least 2 hours per
day and it was fantastic, while you played the game you could feel
how all the stress from work was going away, i keep playing it to
the 100% until Dragon Quest VIII came out.
DQ7 wasn't a perfect game, but it was so complete that at least in
my case i forgot about all the rough edges the game had.
>>
>>3718610
If you want to feel what it is to be in the minority, have a look at VI.
>>
Playing the Japanese PSX version of Dragon Quest VII right now. Took me about nine hours to get to the first battle. I just really like talking to all the NPCs.

I can already tell that I'm going to like this game way more than VI though. The party chat makes a huge difference for me. I think I would enjoy VI a lot more if I played the DS version with the party chat.
>>
>>3718494
anyone still have that interview with horii where he talks about jami the rape horse
>>
File: cover_l.jpg (179KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover_l.jpg
179KB, 600x600px
Been going through the series in order, just got to VI.

Following V, it seems pretty weak so far. I think a lot of things will improve as it goes, but man, these character designed are maybe the worst in the series.
>>
>>3720434
No, because it doesn't exist. Idiots love spouting it but the second you ask for a source they shut up.
>>
File: Dq7art1.jpg (68KB, 348x249px) Image search: [Google]
Dq7art1.jpg
68KB, 348x249px
>>3720475
VI is often seen as the weakest or second weakest behind II. To be honest VII uses a similar system but more improved. I guess continue but know you aren't in the minority. After the classics that were III, IV, and V VI is pretty weak. Personally VII is my favorite as I mentioned earlier in the thread. You probably won't feel the same but I can definitely say it is much better.

Also I fully agree on the character designs, worst in the series by far. The hero looks like Toriyama was asked to draw him in ten minutes. Fortunately I think he really improved them with VII. I liked VII art since it seems more of a return to his more classic style. With V and VI had this super muscular style but VII seems to capture that more sillier, cartoony look of I-IV. Probably my favorite designs in the series.
>>
>>3718494
that horse is fucking ripped
>>
>>3720508
Have to stay fit, or those wives won't be drawn to the horsecock.
>>
File: 1455981125035.jpg (68KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1455981125035.jpg
68KB, 500x465px
>>3720475
>I think a lot of things will improve as it goes
>>
I've been playing the series in order during my work commutes and I've enjoyed them all. I still don't see the issue with 2 or 6.
>>
>>3720947
I liked 2 as much as the the other games of the trilogy.
>>
Can any DQ7 help me out in explaining some of the game's plot points? I'm in the postgame, but some stuff in the main story seemingly went unaddressed and I'm confused.
>>
File: 1477973445142.jpg (99KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
1477973445142.jpg
99KB, 600x568px
>>3722006
Like what exactly?
>>
File: Dragon_quest_builders_art.jpg (68KB, 281x355px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_quest_builders_art.jpg
68KB, 281x355px
Maybe this isnt best place to ask but i cant find any other dragon quest threads...
Has anyone here played Dragon Quest Builders? Ive been strongly considering it because ive had an urge to play minecraft but dont want buy it again and Terraria is just incredibly boring. I also like jrpgs and while Dragon Quest 8 is the only DQ ive played, it was alright.
Would you recommend this game if you've played it?
>>
>>3722034
what was the point of the blood rubies? why did orgodemir disappear the population of Faraday, and if they were restored after the final boss, why weren't they part of the victory tour?

I'm likely forgetting other stuff.
>>
File: 435px-DQVII_Battle.png (587KB, 435x607px) Image search: [Google]
435px-DQVII_Battle.png
587KB, 435x607px
>>3722040
The blood rubies were like a power source I believe. I think it gave power to the monsters.

Orgodemeir never completely wiped out Faraday's population, just severly lowered it by killing many of the villagers. Orgodemeir is more of a trickster then the other antagonists. Some of the things he does are for none other then just his own amusement. He's batshit insane and obsessed with himself, hence his "beautiful" form.
>>
>>3718494
Recently beat DQ5 on the DS. Fucking loved it overall but I hated the English script. First of all, the accents were annoying half the time. Second, the script tried too hard to be witty, so didn't have that much emotional impact. I'm thinking of playing the SNES version with the translation patch. What's the best end-game party for DQ5 SFC version? I'm thinking of going HERO - SLIMEKNIGHT (switched with GOLEM) - SON.
>>
File: joy cookies.png (44KB, 509x477px) Image search: [Google]
joy cookies.png
44KB, 509x477px
>>3722223
>I'm thinking of playing the SNES version with the translation patch.
Did you really think you could escape?
>>
>>3722223
>>3722223
I've used hero, son, and daughter and they did good.

Slime knights, any metal slime enemy, cur slimes or king heal slimes, and anything in the underworld is suitable too. In my experience the english patch for the sfc version is pretty good. Slime knight can be recruited just about as soon as monsters join you and is reliable to the end, very good monster.
>>
>>3722223
>the script tried too hard to be witty
this is a result of Dragon Quest 8 being popular in the west.
>>
>>3722556
>popular
So does that mean it sold a few thousand more copies than the other games then?
>>
>>3722559
I dunno. But the fact of the matter is that Square sees it as the most successful Dragon Quest in the west, and so now has it in their head that any subsequently localized entry must take after it. And it doesn't even seem to occur to them that most people bought the game for the Final Fantasy demo.

Dragon Quest 8 was much more comedic than previous entries, so new scripts have to have as much funny injected into them as possible, even if it means straying from the original script. That means puns and name changes wherever possible. To make them closer to 8.

Dragon Quest 8 featured British voice acting, so new scripts, whether they're voiced or not, have to have accents to make them closer to 8.
>>
>>3722559
>>3722575
Looked it up, the US version was said to have sold 430,000 copies. However DQIX also sold 1.2 million in both the US and Europe. I couldn't find a number for the US alone.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170106-212323.png (335KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170106-212323.png
335KB, 1920x1080px
I'm about to go to the demon tower and look for Bianca in DQV. I've had the game on hold for a few weeks while I play other stuff (S3+K Complete, A quick CT playthrough with my wife, Hebereke, and dabbling with Metal Max Returns.)

I think I'm terribly over-levelled because I wandered around aimlessly lost in the mountains between Ned's Inn and Granvania for a few days. I don't want to resort to a guide since I feel that they ruin RPG enjoyment on the first playthrough, but the dungeons get more complicated moving forward, right? I've never had such a hard time navigating dungeons in a DQ before (playing them in order,) but the encounter rate plus all the one way drops made that place really hard for me.
>>
>>3722640
I feel like the Demon Tower is the hardest dungeon in that game. It's one of the only Dragon Quest dungeons where the environment is a legitimate threat (the fire-breathing statues specifically). It's also pretty complicated. Think there's about ten floors if I remember right. Still, there's an awesome boss fight waiting at the top if you're willing to push through it.
>>
>>3722037
Is alright. Let's hope for the sequel.
>>
Has there been any open world DQ game beyond the first one?
>>
>>3722921
They open up once you get the boat.
>>
>>3722924
From the few I've played they still stay quite limited. Sure you can get to the entrance of like 6 new dungeons or so but you will need to unlock 5 of them still.
>>
Playing V on DeSUME
>Get Legendary Sword
>it's fucking nothing
>use it in combat for the fuck of it
>it clears up the annoying transformation mobs do
That's pretty neato. Any other stuff that does anything in battles? Also, anyone know how to play in higher resolution without increasing window size in desume?
>>
>>3723102
By playing the superior PS2 version
>>
>>3722575
I don't know about that, as VII doesn't seem to have much whimsy injected into it. Then again, I doubt there was much joy during the arduous task of translating all that fucking text.

But seriously, I thought V had the best localization in the series to date. I don't see the hate for it.
>>
File: quality TL.png (473KB, 593x425px) Image search: [Google]
quality TL.png
473KB, 593x425px
>>3723242
the official DQ5 translation is hard to take seriously when your trusted advisor speaks Spanish and your castle is renamed to a mundane German city.
>>
>>3723274
That and Agon were really the only parts I wasn't keen on.
>>
File: dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg (24KB, 256x193px) Image search: [Google]
dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg
24KB, 256x193px
>>3720475
>>3720486
>>3720619
Fucking plebs, VI being the best installment in the saga. VI is the natural successor of III, if what you want is some character stimuli, why don't you play Final Fantasy?

>Being this plebeian.
>"VI is pretty weak"
>VI
>The biggest game, the one with the most content to explore, with the most epic quest in the jRPG universe.
>>
>>3723331
>VI is the natural successor of III
Yes, that's why everything up to Mudo is a narrative-driven adventure with non-generic characters, just like III, right? There's no excuse for how hard VI drops the ball.
>>
>>3723331
>why don't you play Final Fantasy?
I find this funny since the DQVI battle theme sounds the most like a typical FF battle theme with its intro
>>
File: gb174629.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gb174629.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>3718494
Big brother?
>>
>>3723352
And? by the way, VI nominated for best DQ soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1MRskhUmA
>>
>>3723373
And dream world version! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cRMLNMBwS8
>>
>>3723373
DQ2 has better overworld themes frankly
>>
File: Dragon Quest III Classes.png (36KB, 470x370px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III Classes.png
36KB, 470x370px
>>
>>3723331
>VI
>the biggest game
I can't hear you over how hard me and VII are laughing
>>
>>3722921
If you have played DQ II then you'll know one of its major complaints is that it is too open-ended
>>
File: demons-tower-2.png (135KB, 2704x1688px) Image search: [Google]
demons-tower-2.png
135KB, 2704x1688px
>>3722640
>>3722649
I just spent 20 minutes staring at a detailed map of the dungeon and planning an optimal run through minimizing unnecessary backtracking, so hopefully I can get through this tower in a sitting.

Now I'm settled in with a glass of bourbon, snowed in on a Saturday night with hours of DQV to get into. Wish me luck.
>>
>>3724704
is that the one where bianca gets kidnapped by horseguy?

I remember that was the part of the game where I actually stopped grinding or exploring properly, and I just launched through the entire dungeon on the first go burning through items and somehow beat up the horse, pretty much a straight line from A to B because the roleplaying made no sense otherwise
>>
Definitely in the minority opinion here, but I think the cowardly fucks on the first island in Dragon Quest VII totally deserved what happened to them.
>>
>>3724708
Haha that's literally what I just did. I went balls to the walls and just powered through the dungeon using mp and items. The boss fight was long and full of close calls. I was perfectly levelled for this place. It made the entire thing feel more urgent, so it worked out perfectly.

Now I'm off to find my wife with my kids, just like my father before me. I'm really starting to like how charming this story is. Unfortunately the grind is starting to get monotonous for me. There isn't much strategy to combat, and the encounter rate is really high. Trying to hang in there, though.
>>
>>3724902
You're a lot closer to the end then you think, once you get your kids caught up in levels you're pretty much at the end of the game.
>>
>>3724905
Oh, good. I really want closure on everything but want to move on to VI already.

This is my favorite one so far, just barely ahead of III. IV was fun, and was the first DQ to have real storytelling elements to the narrative, but V has had much better writing thus far. III just had the most fun questing and combat so far.
>>
File: 1470460852336.png (108KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1470460852336.png
108KB, 1500x1500px
>Pankraz stoically endures the assault.
>>
Not sure if retro enough but how's VIII?
>>
>>3724913
oh man no you do not want to move on, you want to finish this game and then either play something else or stop playing games for a while

playing dragon quest is not your homework and it's not going to keep teaching you things
>>
>>3724920
It's considered the best game in the franchise by meany.
We don't care if you talk about 8 here.
>>
>>3724917
his name is Papas
>>
>>3724925
>playing dragon quest is not your homework and it's not going to keep teaching you things
I play DQ to learn Japanese.
>>
>>3723804
>DQ VII
>DQ "Please follow this line" VII
>>
Dragon Quest Suite (OST, MP3, ~180kbps, 54MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndmjym2j2oz/dqs.rar

Dragon Quest I Remix Symphonic Suite + Super Famicom Version (OST, MP3, 192kbps, 55MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zzijwjz1yr/dq1rss%2Bsfv.rar

Dragon Quest I•II Symphonic Suite (OST, MP3, 192kbps, 84MB):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nztmm1mzlyt/dq1%E2%80%A22ss.rar

Dragon Quest V Symphonic Suite ~Bride of the Heavens~ (OST, MP3, ~192kbps, 120MB):
https://mega.nz/#!X1dH3CZY!QyUiEB7FXW5_RMcF2oJ-TFdyickPqYo2C167nZOArBg

Dragon Quest VII 3DS (OST, MP3, 192kbps, 165.4MB)
https://mega.nz/#!nBcFhDSY!Z4ebc6PzJgmxgpWNjlp2O4BIlTsqXibueBtPjRJzhl0

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (OST, MP3, 254kbps, 214MB)
https://mega.nz/#!TclBVbbD!h4VolQ5AOuIHO1YKqllscTU2pcFrJMOFODsYk45DAPs
>>
Just finished DQIV on DS.

It was awesome but it lasted a long time and I'm a little tired of the game now.
Do I really have to play Chapter 6?
>>
What's a good Dragon Quest game to start with to try and get into the series?

I generally like JRPGs but I've had a lot of trouble retaining interest with DQ games I've tried.
>>
>>3726482
The first game.
Play the Super Famicom version, play it with the Reprise patch.

http://superfamicom.org/translations/info/dragon-quest-1-2-english
>>
>>3726482
IX has a shorter story than most in the series. Also heavily customizable, lots of options regarding weapons/armor/builds.
>>
>>3726453
Chapter 6 is just a bonus chapter that wasn't part of the original game. You don't have to if you really don't want to.
>>
>>3726482
III if you just want to dive into DQ's sandbox gameplay, V if you want to experience a story. The SNES versions of both are great.

The later titles are pretty much better games overall, but you need to understand what DQ brought to the table originally in order to fully appreciate them.
>>
>>3723331
I like VI but it's definitely not the best game in the series and was a step down from its predecessors in several ways - VI's skill system may be far more expansive than anything that came before it, but it's also a fuckload more broken.
>>
3 and 5 are the GOAT, 4 and 8 are pretty good, 6 and 7 are average, 1 and 2 have aged kinda horribly.
>>
dead thread
dead franchise
>>
File: PossessedHorse.png (408KB, 1134x943px) Image search: [Google]
PossessedHorse.png
408KB, 1134x943px
>>3718494
i remember that chapter of berserk
>>
File: scr_2_TOP_LEFT.png (158KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
scr_2_TOP_LEFT.png
158KB, 400x240px
>mfw
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.