[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one is better? I'm wanting to start the Legends series.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: MML.jpg (181KB, 498x835px) Image search: [Google]
MML.jpg
181KB, 498x835px
Which one is better? I'm wanting to start the Legends series.
>>
File: Untitled.png (197KB, 976x518px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
197KB, 976x518px
The PS1 version is far better.
>>
Before this turns into another 5th gen war thread/sony vs nintendo, I'll give you my opinion after playing all versions of this game:

PS version is the original one and it holds up pretty well, it may have some minor graphical and camera glitches that are normal with PS games but not a deal breaker, you're fine if you play this version.

N64 port does some things better than PS version, but also has some downgrades. Many of the graphical and camera glitches were fixed on this port, you will get less "see through wall" situations due to camera going crazy, also in general the game looks smoother due to anti-aliasing and I think it suits the cel shade-ish art direction of the game better than on PS, were pixels can get a bit rough up close. Also more correct perspective, but this is in general something N64 does better than PS. Also regarding N64 advantages, since this is a cart, it doesn't have loading times obviously, another thing to have into account.
As a curiosity, the N64 version has the uncensored "erotic magazine" with a cat girl drawing that you need to find in one of the side-quests. On the PS version, this was replaced with an "action hero" comic.
N64 also lets you control Megaman with the 3D stick, but it isn't any different than controlling it with the d-pad anyway, the controls weren't optimized for the stich, but you have the option. Also N64 version allows you hold 15 different save files as opposed to the PS's 5 (you can use another memory card on PS to get more, though).
Now for the downgrades: N64 version has slightly inferior drawing distance. This point is usually exaggerated to bash the N64 port because the PS version also has bad draw distance, but N64 has it slightly worse.
Voice sampling on N64 also sounds muffled, music and sound effects are ok, but the voices took a hit, so have this into account.
(cont.)
>>
>>3718052

Well, >>3718031 pretty much covered what I was going to say, although I would say PS version is "far" better, it's very subjective.

But yeah, besides the CD shop, the ending theme was also removed from the N64.
I never noticed slowdown on the 64 version, but maybe it was there, I dunno, both versions felt the same to me gameplay-wise.

As for the manual, I don't know where it is inaccurate, but I'll say the N64 manual is better than the US PS manual, simply because it has art in full color, PS manual is black and white. Probably the japanese PS manual is not.

And lastly, there's the PC/Windows version.
This one is arguably the best one in terms of graphics, it's based on the N64 port but has better textures and resolution.
The problem with the PC port, that the other two don't have, is that the audio during the cutscenes is totally out of sync, so you will see mouths moving and not matching what you're hearing, and so on.

So, pick your poison.
>>
I'd say the PlayStation version is the original one. You will have to combine D-pad with L1 and R1 buttons, having troubles to maneuver efficiently on the N64 controller...
>>
>>3718025
mega man
>>
>>3718031
>there is sporadic slowdown
This is 100% true. All PS1 to N64 ports had framerate drops for some reason.
>>
>>3719927

You can use the N64's d-pad and L and R without problem, or Z and R if you're using the stick.
>>
the answer is never N64
>>
>>3719927
I used a Gamestop controller for faux analog support
>>
>>3718025
Don't start Legends. It doesn't have an ending. You'll just get mad the 2nd game ends on a cliff hanger.
>>
>>3719936
>games designed for one platform and sloppily ported run worse on another platform
you don't say
>>
>>3720487

The answer is there isn't a definitive version, Legends on PS1 also has its own downsides.
>>
>>3720572
Nice try, N64 kiddy. The PS1 version may not be perfect, but it's certainly better than that steaming pile of shit on the N64.
>>
>>3720595

>fixed camera glitches
>no loading times
>uncensored

Nah, I'd actually say, the N64 version may not be perfect, but it's certainly better than the steaming piece of wobbly textures shit on the PS1.

Nice try though, playstakid.

best version is on PC, bar the fucked cutscenes
>>
>>3719935
underrated post
>>
I want to play the PS1 version on my PS3 but it's expensive as fuck to get a PAL copy. Even though I live in the US I have a PAL PS3. Don't know why these assholes felt the need to region lock PS1 playback.
>>
>>3720610
PSP version is actually the best.
>>
>>3720658
I can just buy it off PSN, nevermind...
>>
>>3720610
Good luck playing Mega Man Legends 2 on N64.
>>
>>3720659

How did they work around the 4:3 ratio on the PSP screen? Also, is it a port or a remake?

>>3720665
true that, but we're talking legends 1.
>>
>>3720610
>no loading times
This meme is getting really stale

It sure was totally worth Nintendo gimping their console with a storage format 10 times smaller than CD-rom just to save a couple seconds for their 5 year old ADD addled demographic, huh? If you don't have the patience to watch a short loading screen then I seriously wonder about your mental stability.

There's a reason PS1 wiped the floor with the N64.
>>
>>3720667
It's just a port with various tweaks for the better.

The game's rendered at 16:9, not stretched. You can see more of what's around you. It has none of the slowdown found in the other versions nor the shit draw distance of the N64 version. Not translated tho.
>>
>>3720670

What meme? carts don't have loading times. I acknowledge the N64's voice samples sound compressed compared to the PSX version, but on turn, you gain no load times. I'm not being a console warrior like you, use all the ad hominems you want, but my point still stands, it's not a "meme".

>>3720675
The game's rendered at 16:9, not stretched. You can see more of what's around you.

But it got cut vertically then? I have a modded PSP so I'll try it sometime, I just never remember to do it.
>>
File: MML Comparison.png (466KB, 1240x615px) Image search: [Google]
MML Comparison.png
466KB, 1240x615px
>>3720679
Nope, no cropping like the Tales of Eternia port on PSP. Just pure 16:9, baby.

Sadly, the UI is stretched for whatever reason. That's really the only issue I have with this port. Pretty minor though.
>>
>>3720689

Pretty nice. I see it's still based on the PSx port, seems like PC is still the best, but the 16:9 without vertical cut is pretty boss.,
>>
Is there really any point in playing the N64 version when the misadventures of Tron Bonne and legends 2 are ALSO on the ps1?
>>
>>3720726

It's not like the save data carries over. You can play either N64 version for no loading times or PC version for best graphics, and then play the other two on ps3.
>>
>>3720791
The load times in the PS1 version were hardly an issue, unlike most of the shit found here in the N64 version: >>3718031

So really, it's a choice between PS1 and PC. The N64 version may as well not exist.
>>
>>3720812

I really don't remember slowdown issues, if there was any, it wasn't a big deal. I remember stable framerates during most battles, and framedropped a bit on open areas, but I also remember that on the PS1 and PC.
The load times on PS1 aren't "that bad", just as the bad stuff on N64 aren't. There is no definitive version of this game, Capcom was lazy making the ports, they could have fixed the game, but ended up fucking it in other ways.
The N64 port is cool for no loading, and PC version is cool for best graphics. If anything the one that shouldn't exist is the PS1 which is the glitchiest.
>>
>>3720814
>I don't remember it so it doesn't exist lol :)
Not how it works, sweetheart. It has the worst framerate of the three versions, on top of having the worst controls, horrible draw distance and awful, muddy textures.

No loading isn't "cool" because the load times weren't an issue to begin with. It's a small thing that can hardly be considered a pro unless you have some serious ADD. The N64 version is redundant, repulsive and rightfully trashed by most of the Mega Man Legends fanbase.
>>
>>3720863

I didn't say they don't exist, though, you should work on your reading comprehension. I said that they might be there, but that I don't remember, meaning they weren't a big deal as far as I'm concerned, same as how loading times aren't a big concern to you.
"muddy textures" that don't look really muddy on a proper CRT or SD screen, and that look more consistent, without fluttering, without clipping, and with correct perspective. Maybe the fluttering textures, incorrect perspective and camera glitches aren't a big issue for you, but the same can be said about the draw distance, it wasn't that bad, if anyway the PS1 also has draw distance issues, PC version is the only one with acceptable draw distance.

>worst controls

How so?

>repulsive

Talk about being redundant, just say "I hate the N64 with all my heart" and stop giving excuses as to why the N64 port of Legends shouldn't exist. You just hate it because it's on a console you don't like, probably due to brand loyalism bullshit.
The N64 has the same right to exist as the PS1 and PC versions, it has its own pros, as well as cons.

>megaman legends fanbase
>associating yourself with a "fanbase"

Yeah, no wonder you're a silly console/brand warrior. You don't care about actual port comparision, you just care about your side "winning". You can't be objective.
>>
>>3720689
>Windows screenshot isn't the same location as the other 3

ONE JOB. Did that come from HG101 because it looks like it came from HG101
>>
Just want to mention that you can get MML 1 and 2 for $10 each on PSN. If you have a PS3 that's definitely something to consider.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.