[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

links awakening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 14

just got this from a friend, damn its sweet, is it reasonable to beat this in one sitting? game doesn't save
also did nintendo just stop giving a fuck from GBC forward?
because i think all the best games for game boy classic outclass anything on color, GBA, DS etc
>>
>>3717467
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10033
You could probably do it if you spent an entire day playing.

You should check out Oracle of Seasons/Ages too if you haven't already.
>>
File: Zelda-Links-Awakening.jpg (34KB, 411x359px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda-Links-Awakening.jpg
34KB, 411x359px
It's possible but it might take you the whole day.
And if you're not using walkthroughs (which you shouldn't), you might get stuck, especially on the later dungeons.
try to replace that battery.
>>
Nostalgia one hell of a drug.
>>
>>3717467
If you are playing blind, I dont think you'll 100% it before your batteries die. You probably can beat it in one sitting though.
>>
>>3717489
actually i hate handhelds so i play all my shit on a super gameboy, i could just leave it on for a couple days
>>
File: zeldanodensetsuyume_0006.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
zeldanodensetsuyume_0006.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>3717486

you know, people tend to misunderstand how nostalgia works.

Nostalgia is indeed similar to a drug, in the sense that, undoubtely, something you thought you had forgotten can trigger a chemical in your brain, which causes the nostalgia effect.
But nostalgia is not playing games you liked as a kid.
For example, if I play Contra every now and then, and remember it every now and then, it's not nostalgia, I'm just thinking and playing a game I genuinely like.

Nostalgia is the feeling of suddenly seeing or remembering something you actually haven't seen or think about in years, or decades. That's what causes nostalgia.
Liking a game from your childhood is not, it means you genuinely like it and that's it.

Nostalgia doesn't actually have to do with liking a thing or not, you might remember something you were kind of indifferent as a kid (like a shitty pop song from the radio you haven't heard in decades), but it still might trigger you nostalgia because you associate it with your childhood. But you might not necessarily like it, or listen to it again later, you just have a spontaneous nostalgia trip, and that's it.
>>
File: sanic_wry.png (34KB, 172x166px) Image search: [Google]
sanic_wry.png
34KB, 172x166px
>>3717467
>game starts
>YOU MUST AWAKEN THE WIND FISH

...y tho? Probably the most directionless Zelda title.
>>
>>3717503
Yeah apparently Link is shipwrecked and is trying to return to Hyrule, hence he needs to find the WindFish to get there.

Yeah, sort of whatever. Dude could just find another fucking boat.
>>
>>3717503

>y tho?

If you mean "why though?", it's because you need to wake up the wind fish if you want to leave the island. If you want to stay there, don't wake it up.
>>
>>3717503
>>3717509
Have you ever awoken the wind fish?
Shit gets heavy, especially if you complete the game without dying.
>>
>>3717467
>game doesn't save
Press Start + Select + A + B all at the same time. Or maybe just Start and Select, I forget.
>>
>>3717467
It's honestly the easiest Zelda game I've cleared.

Of course, it'd be /vr/'s favorite, since most people here are bad at videogames.
>>
>>3717581
there's a difficult zelda game?
>>
>>3717586
AoL
>>
>>3717467
You can screen warp glitch and mess around with the game. I warped in a cave and found an unkillable boss.
>>
>>3717581
I have fond memories of it while taking long trips in the car or airplane as a kid. The game was fun, if you only enjoy challenging games the zelda franchise is definitely not for you.
>>
>>3717581
>since most people here are bad at videogames.

You've played games with other /vr/ anons?
>>
>>3717467
>also did nintendo just stop giving a fuck from GBC forward? because i think all the best games for game boy classic outclass anything on color, GBA, DS etc
The gba had a short lifespan. But with that said, if we're speaking gba onward, nintendo had an incredibly solid lineup. If we're speaking generally, the DS has a library on par with the SNES without even counting the SNES ports and remakes imo. But to each his own.
>>
>>3717467
You can beat it in five minutes.

Without glitch abuse, basically playing casually but having beaten the game before and knowing what to do, it'll take several hours. Definitely can be done in one sitting before the batteries run out, though.

Playing blind?

Forget it.
>>
>>3717486

>OP never played the game on his life before now

>LOL MUST BE NOSTALGIA
>>
>>3717512
>If you mean "why though?"

autism detected
>>
>>3717832

Not him, but not everyone has to be knowledgeable about modern internet slang/spellings, and that doesn't make you an autist.
>>
File: IMAG0190.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0190.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>3717467
I liked the Mario characters
>>
File: la.jpg (169KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
la.jpg
169KB, 960x720px
>>3717969
Playing this game on the SGB is the comfiest.
>>
>>3717509
>Dude could just find another fucking boat
Looks like somebody feels compelled to spout bullshit without ever playing the game.
>>
Yeah you'll probably get stuck during item trading or during dungeon 7 or 8. Plus you might want the extra time to look for all the hidden seashells.

In other words, replace the battery. Even tech illiterates can do it.
>>
>>3717843
autism detected
>>
I'd say to replace the save battery or play it on an SNES/GBC with a wall plug and leave the console on.
>>
>>3719537

>defending web 2.0 slang
>>
Honestly anon with some simple technical knowledge you could rig up an AC adapter, strip the wires and put it over the battery terminals to negate the need for a battery entirely. Then you can leave the unit on until you've finished the game. Or simply replace the battery in the cartridge as >>3718718 suggested it.

I really need to get around to beating this game, played it briefly back in the day when I had a gameboy but need never finished it.
>>
File: 2636447457.gif (4MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
2636447457.gif
4MB, 320x180px
>>3717467
Feed mushroom powder to the racoon!
>>
>"Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands..."
>>
>>3717467
I mean, I guess you could probably get through it in a day, if you know or can figure out how to solve a couple obscure puzzles and take a shortcut or two, THIEF.
>>
>>3717738
I'm sure that >>3717486 is reffering to OPs line

>Did nintendo just stop giving a fuck from GBC forward? Because i think all the best games for game boy classic outclass anything on color, GBA, DS etc

and not to to the first line where he said he got LA from a friend.
>>
File: @[email protected] (26KB, 378x310px) Image search: [Google]
@o@.jpg
26KB, 378x310px
Hi there, big guy! I'm Crazy Tracy! I've got a little secret for sale that'll pump you up!
All right, come here and I'll rub it on you! ...There... I've applied my own secret medicine! It will take effect when you lose all heart! Drop by again, big guy!
I always liked visiting her...
>>
>>3721520
GB had fucking timeless classic
All gba has are ports of snes
>>
>>3721547
Hey, don't write off all those Megaman and Casltevania games!

I would almost put Aria of Sorrow on par with Symphony of the Night for my favorite Castlevania, and the Megaman Zero / Battle Network series was great.
>>
>>3717564
is there a different ending if you dont die? I thought its just that you see a gull at the end or something?
or is that supposed to be Marin?
>>
>>3722841
It's Marin, in the original version you see her sprite with wings, and seagull sound effects.
On DX, they changed her sprite to a seagull and her face appearing on the sky.
>>
>>3719537
>>3717832
>>3717503

wannabe twitter nignog detected
If you are white, it makes it even more tragic
>>
>>3721495
fuck off Mike
>>
>>3722842
Just checked the ending. Played the original, dont know why I just remembered it as a seagull. It looks rather comical in the original version tßh.
>>
How did Link get back to Hyrule from the ocean on two logs anyway?
>>
>>3717467
>>3717509
>>3717503
18+ people
>>
File: 1483729999781.gif (493KB, 245x163px) Image search: [Google]
1483729999781.gif
493KB, 245x163px
>>3722845
Go ragequit Dankest Dungeon.
>>
File: 1427165619921.jpg (229KB, 1280x918px) Image search: [Google]
1427165619921.jpg
229KB, 1280x918px
>>3717496
I wanna buy you a beer.
>>
>>3717503
>I want to leave the Island and go home
>You'll have to wake the Windfish for that

What is not to understand?
>>
>>3717503
>game starts
>IT IS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS

wtf, I hate Zelda now!?
>>
>>3721495
But how would I know? I'm just a kid!
>>
>>3722907
With his swimming items from the Oracle games.
>>
>>3723671
Except the oracle games are prequel to LA.
>>
File: Shop.jpg (127KB, 700x372px) Image search: [Google]
Shop.jpg
127KB, 700x372px
I replayed Link's Awakening in Japanese the other day and I must say the translations (had played both in French as a kid and in English later on) weren't on par with the original dialogues, as obvious as it may sounds.

Characters all talk with some sort of accents, even the bosses, and have pretty funny speech patterns. Even choices you pick when answering yes/no questions from Link generally carry more warmth and are generally pretty fitting in a fun way.

Link's Awakening has always been special to me, but concerning the "muh nostalgia" aspect some here have talked about, I must say that while obviously I can't be entirely "objective" (is there even a need to?) I must say Link's Awakening is one of the best 2D Zelda games and still as of today a wonderful game. I had played Ages & Seasons last year and while they were both good games there were moments and parts of the game I sort of found confusing or not necessarily that well designed. When immersing myself once more into LA I was scared to experience the same thing but I ended up enjoying myself very much from A to Z without anything bothering me. My only concern would be that rupees are useless but that's hardly a problem that only concerns this particular Zelda (speaking of which this was the first time in my entire life I ever bought the bow instead of stealing it I think).
>>
File: 1308177973505.jpg (92KB, 475x518px) Image search: [Google]
1308177973505.jpg
92KB, 475x518px
>>3727260
That pic is official art?

Also tell us about the difference between original japanese and english.
>>
File: mq.jpg (57KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
mq.jpg
57KB, 488x500px
Zelda LA is great and my other favourite for the GB was Mystic Quest. It has a different name in US and Japan.
>>
>>3727312
It is since it's by Katsuya Terada who himself was the artist for the first few Zelda games, you can find them all by easily typing Katsuya Terada Link's Awakening.

I'm not sure what I can add I didn't say regarding the differences between the original and the translations without sounding pompous. To give some perspective, it's exactly the same with manga, no matter how good the translator may be you cannot convey all the subtleties and details because Japanese and Western languages are that different. A very simple and obvious example is the pronoun "I", in the English version I assume everyone from the little kids in the village to the bosses are using the pronoun "I" to refer to themselves, well in the original characters are all using a different plethora of pronouns depending on who's speaking, and like I said most of the characters are speaking with accents (Kansai, Osaka-ben, etc), so it also goes for their speech patterns.

>>3727323
Final Fantasy I believe.
>>
>>3727350
>who himself was the artist for the first few Zelda games

No, he wasn't. Terada did illustrations for things like strategy guides and Nintendo Power magazines, he wasn't involved in the development of any of these games.
>>
>>3727364
I see, my bad, what I said was based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuya_Terada#Video_games_.28character_and_world_design.29
but it seems it's wrong given his name doesn't appear at all in the game pages.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%AF%BA%E7%94%B0%E5%85%8B%E4%B9%9F has no mention of Zelda either.
>>
I mean, not wrong per se, since I assume those are referring to illustrations he did and such, I just misinterpreted it.
>>
>>3717467
>game doesn't save
That's because the battery is dead. Find a friend who knows how to solder.
>>
>>3727323
here too. Really hard to decided between Zelda and Mystic Quest/FF adventures or whatever it is. But definitely one of those two is the best GB Game for me and I guess for most people.
>>
>>3727664
Is Mystic Quest/FF similar to Zelda? Does it play the same?
Wasn't that game the very first Mana game actually? Yeah it was, just checked.
>>
>>3727781
No, not like Zelda, a true action rpg, with real rpg elements. Secret of Mana for GB actually pretty much nails it.
>>
>>3724976
Exactly, he kept them with him.
>>
File: mq2.gif (14KB, 230x205px) Image search: [Google]
mq2.gif
14KB, 230x205px
>>3727863
>Is Mystic Quest/FF similar to Zelda? Does it play the same?
Similar, yes. But you gain XP and level up just like in SoM. It is also harder and the graphics are not as neat as in Zelda. Still immersive and 10/10 for a GB game.
>>
>>3717496

This post makes me happy.
I play a lot of retro vidya, but very rarely do I associate them long gone memories. ( There's like a tiny handful of exceptions. )
The whole "Nostalgia goggles" bullshit never really set right with me.

This game, however, I do have the nostalgia for.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.